If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 3,800 total)

• Annette, remember fat doesn’t make you fat; excess carbs do. I think you’re going to be okay.

I rather thought that it didn’t matter where the calories came from, if you consume too many, then the lbs will go on. I was cold/tired/bored and have scoffed quite regularly today. Ho hum.

Annette, was this on a fast day? You know you can always trade a day if you bump on a fast day. Why not make Tuesday a fast day, if Monday was the original day? You can always switch them back the next week.

Beating yourself up is useless and besides, I know some thugs over in West Oakland that’ll rob and beat you for the low, low price of $39.99.

What say ye?

For plane fare, they’ll even throw in the family for free! Let me know.

Ha ha! You do make me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was a FD…..today I was hungry/bored/cold. I shall have another FD on Friday and lesson learned about the nuts. It will be fine. To err is human.I am not beating myself up, just sharing that there are times when we all have a wobble. I am very far from perfect.

I get fed at work, so alter the FD from week to week depending on what is on offer for lunch.I am quite philosophical and I know that as long as the inches are shrinking…..all good.

Still chuckling………….

Great thought, etherial! I have just quoted you on another thread (where people had been agonising about the occasional slip.) Where do I send the royalty cheque (check)?

X

Me again

Am sure you’ve picked yourself up again, Annette, after ‘Nutgate’.

I weighed myself on Tuesday – first time since early November. I had lost a further 6lb.

Can you believe it? My initial reaction was slight disappointment, because the rate of loss has, unsurprisingly, slowed. I realised it was the part of me which wants overnight success which had reacted like that. I had to do quite a lot of work on myself not to get into that awful diet mentality which might tell myself; “Well, not as good as Id hoped so now I’ll REALLY blow it”, while heading off to the chocolate shop!

In the end, I decided my glass was half full, not half empty. I was even more cheered when I reread in the book that the average weight loss for a woman is ‘just under 1 pound a week’ – making me bang on target!

I haven’t measured myself yet, to match with the weigh-in, although I did so in early Jan and those numbers were smaller, too.

I have a question: where is ‘The Waist’? !!! Is it the part which curves in the most (which has got smaller since last September) or is it the circumference which includes the bellybutton? If it’s the latter, that is definitely my most stubborn area for reduction. I’m asking because of the 0.5 waist measurement to height ratio, which really is my ultimate goal.

Take good care y’all
    BB
    X

Annette,

I’m an almond eater also.

I understand that with raw nuts there is a disconnect between the calories listed and the calories that are actually available to you (a proportion of the fat and calories goes straight through and is ‘excreted’).

So yes, they’re calorific, but you can’t absorb all those calories!

Okay, sometimes, I can be on the slow side, especially last night on my way to bed. I turned off the tv and stood up and thought, “Oh, these jeans have extra material”

Really? There’s no “extra material”, it’s me shrinking again! Hot Dawg!

Hi BB,
    Great news on the lbs lost. I think that the shift in attitude takes far far longer than the weight to shift. The reason that diets fail, is the failure to address why we over eat in the first place. For me FD are a bit like a re-set button. The joy of my body changing shape is worth more to me than a bit more chocolate, which is completely wonderful.I have 2 waists at the moment. I am calling the lovely sweeping inward curve my waist as that is where the shrinkage has happened.I may be high-waisted, it’s so long since I had a waist I can’t remember!Technically it is the circumference with the belly button, but I am focusing on the bit above and hoping that the curve will move down!!!
    happynow and etherial post nutgate I have popped on the scales and I think that you are both right, the scales are still moving downwards. etherial fabulous news on the jeans. FD for me today, not easy when it is cold. Just focusing on losing those festive lbs and inches…..

BB I was having a bad morning, after 3 Fasts this week my weight hasn’t moved, the closer I get to being a normal BMI the slower it gets, and I was disappointed not to have lost this week at all. Then I read your post about getting over that feeling and looked further back, Through the month of January as a whole, where I actually lost 4lbs so I too am bang on target.

Thanks for making me think about the bigger picture.

I love that I can get reassurance and supportat the low moments from reading back through the threads

Weebil

Hi

Glad my thoughts helped, Weebil. Getting closer to a normal BMI sounds exciting (and inspiring).

etherial, you are probably too young to remember this 1980s song by Madness:
    “Baggy trousers, lots of fun …” Am humming it now in your honour.

Annette, good luck with the fasting in this ‘bracing’ January weather. Yesterday evening I counted that I was wearing 17 garments (inc slippers). Plus a blanket when I was on the sofa watching telly. I just kept layering up!

Have a good weekend, All.

Weebil, looking back is essential to see what has been achieved. This is why I am such a believer in both the clothes try on and measuring the vital statistics.I am in awe of you getting closer to a normal BMI, I have a way to go yet.

BB I remember the song well. It is my goal for my trousers too. Got quite a way to go.It is freezing and I am trying to figure out quite what to wear on Sunday morning, I am running(staggering round) a 10K with my son. We will say goodbye at the start and I imagine that he will finish half an hour before me, if not more. The problem is the hanging around before the start getting cold, and then getting warm quite quickly when the running begins.Temp is around 0C……….

Looking forward to the tape measure and scales tomorrow.

Madness, who?

Hi etherial They were a bunch of cheeky chappie London lads in the 1980s who had a string of hits this side of the pond – but not sure they ‘broke’ the USA.

Meant to say thanks for the info about exact location of waist, Annette. Hmm, wish it was a couple of inches higher: it seems to be shrinking nicely up there. The navel area, however, is still rather, shall we say, expansive 😉 Good luck with your 10k.

Annette, I don’t think I’m high-waisted, I’m low belly-buttoned 🙂

HappyNow Me too!
    BB Me too!

My real actual belly-button waist has only decreased by an inch, but the waist that I never had(I was the shape of a brick)has reduced by 4.5 inches/12cms!I am now an hour-glass figure.

I am convinced that the fat-busting will shimmy lower to shrink the hips and the tummy. It has to, it is running out of places on my new waist!

I am delighted to report that the festive lbs and inches are now history! I put it down to walking at least 10,000 steps a day, going to the gym(lifting baby weights and running very fast for a very short time on the treadmill) and reducing sweets/cakes/puddings as much as possible.

After 10,000 steps lugging 2 loads of shopping home in my shopping trolley, it has occurred to me that now I have lost the 2014 festive inches/lbs, I shall now focus on the 2013 festive inches/lbs.

Just bought chocolate and crisps for after the 10K tomorrow.Rather than buy a tube of Pringles-at 1000 calories, which I love and scoff post race. I have bought some packets of crisps at 147 calories. I can’t remember how many calories I will burn after running 10K/6 miles, but it is no where near as many as I imagine.

Great progress, Annette! Christmas (2014!) is now ‘history’ and it’s still only January. I admire your commitment, I really do.

Annette, sorry me again! Thread interloper…

You got me thinking with the whole waist thing. And despite it being brass monkeys at the mo, I braved lifting my clothes to inspect my waist (I live in Cumbria and sewed myself into my clothes for winter 🙂 ).

It turns out that my belly button is pretty much on a level with the top of my hip bones, and the circumference there is 4 – 5 inches greater than my narrowest point.

If my waist is my belly button, at 32 inches, I’m unhealthy (going into a decline as I type…). If my waist is my narrowest point, at 26 – 27 inches I’m OK (starting to rally round…)

My waist is where a waistband would sit, and that is most definitely my narrowest point! Gravity has stolen my belly button…

Thanks BB.Others would call me stubborn!
    I was inspired by my reflection in the window at the gym last night. There were these unseemly large bulges between my hips and my new waist, and although lycra is rather unforgiving,I want these bulges gone. These bulges are holding back my real waist and I want them gone before the summer.

I am on a mission. I have clothes that I can’t get into and I want to before the summer. So every week I am hoping to be a bit closer to getting the zip up on my trousers.

HappyNow you are always welcome. I love the wit of your posts.My new waist is 33.5 inches, but my actual around the belly button is…oh dear ..brace yourself…37. It could be much worse, you could be me!!

Thanks Annette,

Re: your measurements. Well I have been you! I am at maintenance now, and have been since last June, so I’m your future!

I always was a pear, not an apple, and the weight definitely came off my top half first. I have managed to shift it from my bottom half (although I still have chubby knees 🙁 ), but at the expense of my chest! I don’t fill a bra now…on the plus side, running is a much more pleasant experience!

HappyNow It can be done then? You are indeed my future.I have already shed 4 inches off my bust……….I would like to fill a bra, as a skinny young woman I yearned for curves….and then got rather more than I should have!!!!

I do have to wear a vest running top over my running bra, just to be comfortable, so another couple of inches off, would make that aspect more pleasant.I am trying to work out what to wear for this run tomorrow at 2C with windchill of -2C and a vest top has to be part of that calculation.

I shall keep the faith that the inches will indeed shimmy off the bottom half eventually.So, on with shedding the 2013 festive inches.

Thanks. You have cheered me up.

I keep forgetting to say where I live. I live in the SW of the UK in a small town called Bath(of Roman Baths fame).
    We ran the 10K in freezing winds-a vest top, long sleeved top and wind-proof jacket, hat, gloves and long running tights….and was still cold.I ran with the pedometer on and clocked up 15,435 steps before and during the run=817 calories. Watch calculated that I used 10.8 km run=717 cals. Post run I ate and ate, which is fine. About to cook a roast too.
    I took note of the shapes and sizes of the runners and it will be no surprise that the slimmer ones were much faster than those of us that need to shed the inches/lbs.January total weight loss is 8 lb, which is twice what I had estimated.
    February plan is to keep doing what I am and see the tape measure move in the right direction.
    Does anyone else have a February plan?

Yes, to lose faster. I have not resumed my barre workouts since July. You guys are very inspiring and it’s time I stopped being a lazy lima bean and get to it!

Thanks

Welcome etherial.

Annette congrats on the 8lbs I am impressed that you ran a 10k! I am in South Berwick, Maine USA where it has been between 10F to -10F and we are expecting our 2nd blizzard of the week tomorrow. Already 2′ on the ground and another 1 1/2′ tomorrow….sigh….

I am off to the gym while I can still get there and that is my plan for February. Its just impossible outside. The tape measure made me rather happy this morning but I am annoyed with the scale. 1 1/2″ gone I reminded myself that I got rid of the holiday lbs so I am really back at Nov weight. The trick for me is to not keep losing the same 2lbs over and over again.

oae, I didn’t run all of it. It is a very hilly course, so I walked up the step hills and then ran down them. It generally worked.How awful for you with the snow, I am very impressed that you are going to the gym. I wouldn’t be stepping outside.Well done with the inch loss-excellent news and great to be back at November weight. I certainly struggle getting past a weight, but I now know that I simply need to eat less calories and build more muscle.

Just made a list of the races that my son and I took part in last year. There is another 10K in April, 5K in April and a Half Marathon in September.My plan is to continue to lose weight and inches so that by there is less of me at each race and I should reach goal before the September, at a lb a week.

I am having Sticky Toffee Pudding today at work. It is an experiment to see if it is as fabulous as I imagine. I’ll let you know.

Hey everyone…i started 5:2 6 weeks ago….well,im actually doing 4:3.Feel heaps better/more energy /feel slimmer.
    In the first week i lost 3 lbs and then regained 1 lb when i had the flu.
    I determind not to weigh myself til i had completed 8 weeks.
    This morning i thought i would measure myself…in preparation for weigh in in 2 weeks.
    I have lost NO inches at all….bust/waist/hips/thighs/knees…i am really fearful about getting on the scales in 2 weeks.
    I have had an obsessive relationship with food and scales since i was 14.
    I started at 13stone 7 lbs.
    Im looking at small goals but want to reach those!eg…psychologically…i just want to get back under 13 stone.
    im not “giving up” as this is a new way of life and not a diet.
    But i cant understand how my inchs havent budged…and so i am afraid the lbs wont have either.

Hello lil tattoed lady and welcome

I can feel your frustration about apparent lack of shrinkage in measurements. I’m glad you started your post with 3 positives you’ve felt so far. Well done with thinking of this as a new way of life, rather than a diet. I think you are wise not to weigh yourself more often.

As you can see, I can’t give you any ‘answers’ but I can and do give you my support. Bodies are very individual, so stick with yours and the way it is doing things! I do like this thread because I, too, had an obsessive relationship with weight in my teens. (I have written about it in my profile for this site, if you can access that.) However, I do sometimes wonder, with the measuring tape, whether I am measuring in exactly the same place as I did before. Eg I found my neck size had increased by half an inch – but I’m sure I just measured 2 different places on each occasion.

I would say ‘have faith’ and keep working to your short term goals – but be flexible too. For instance, I dropped a dress size fairly quickly and presumed the 2nd drop would come as quickly. Two months after my hoped-for date, my clothes are looser; but still I’m not quite at that 2nd size down. Meanwhile, though, I’m loving the greater energy and sense of control around food (still learning!) which 5:2 is giving me.

I hope you find something helpful in this. Keep in touch with us!
    Bootsy

oae – I feel a bit embarrassed moaning about the little cold snap in England, when you are enduring ‘permafrost’! Hope you enjoy the gym.

Annette – we are almost neighbours then, as I am in Bristol. Yes, Bath sure is hilly! Great self-talk about the ST pud, sounds like it is losing its allure.

etherial – I know I need to increase my activity level too; get more consistent with it.

My February aims:

Fast every monday and thursday.

Keep to my TDEE on 2 other days a week.
    (When I tried ‘dieting’ with cal counting, many years ago, it seemed oppressive; but since using it on fasting days, I’m coming to see it as a helpful structure.) The long-term aim is to eat to my TDEE on most days.

I have ordered the Fast Exercise book. Well, it’s a start!

PS Re ‘navel-gazing’ (or should we call it Bellybutton-gate?), I have decided to stop worrying about exact location of my waist. I’ll just keep going until I am UK size 12 (US size 8, I think) 🙂

Hi Bootsy B, Ah yes, the waist line conundrum… where exactly is it??? I just measure at my belly button merely to have a consistent landmark! As for the neck measure, I don’t know how but I seemed to have gained a 1/2″ last month! I’m with you, I think dress size is the best measure anyway.

Am trying 5/2 weeks, Mon/Thurs with an occasional 3/4 week Mon/Wed/Fri. I think I need to keep my calories at the TDEE for the weight that I want to BECOME. After all why would I want to eat to my current weight TDEE, I already know how that happened!

Hello Fast Friends,
    The Sticky Toffee Pudding was scrummy, so that’s a keeper.
    I don’t count calories or look at my TDEE on non fast days. I simply aim to consume 500 cals on a FD.I have found it helpful to write down what I actually eat every day at the moment, just helps me become more mindful of what decision I will make during the evening.I have also decided to eat more fat, so butter on toast, cream in spaghetti with bacon and cheese-tea tonight etc, because I like the taste and there is some controversy over the notion of low fat foods.

lil tatooed lady welcome. Please do not worry or give up. There are times when the tape doesn’t move and the scales seem to be broken, but just keep going. Also, the inches don’t always disappear from that exact centimetre where the tape rests.I knew that the top of my rump was shrinking because my trousers were slipping when I bent over, but the scales and tape measure showed no change.Why not stand on the scales after 1 week? If you see a downward move, then you will be happy and if you don’t then you wont spend 2 weeks worrying about it.If there is no change in your weight, then you could look at what you are eating over a week and see if there are changes that you might want to make.Try on your clothes and look critically how they hang and move, you may well find that you can ‘see’ the difference.
    Some food is very calorie dense.I have eaten an Almond Croissant every Saturday-they come in at around 600 cals, but it is my treat and I enjoy it thoroughly.But I make other food choices for the rest of the day.
    BB We were running at Longleat around the estate. One very steep hill twice and another hill once. Good training for my son who is running Bath Half in 4 weeks.

Thank you peeps 🙂
    I AM loving this way of life.My IBS is much improved/i have more energy and i love the fast days!
    It has definitely improved my relationship with food.
    Those benefits alone,are enough to motivate me onwards 🙂

Fabulous!

Well, keeping it real, I did not keep to my fast today. I could not stand feeling so cold, so emotionally depleted. I had retreated to bed by 8 pm but got up again and ate some stodge and drank a milky coffee. That’s how it is: I am trying not to give myself a hard time but just accept it. I acknowledged to myself that much of the motivation was ’emotional eating’.

I am sure I will get into a better place sooner or later and my motivation for fasting will flow from that. I feel confident I’ll still be able to keep to my TDEE plan and not sabotage everything. @oae – I’m keeping to my ‘goal weight’ tdee, too, rather than my present one. It still seems plenty.

Thanks for being there, all
    x

BB Never mind. Try again another day.We have all been there(Me, more than once!). Don’t beat yourself up about it either, there really is no point at all.

I am trying to inspire myself for tomorrow. Funeral of ex work colleague today, eaten lots of biscuits and other stuff….My skirt felt much more comfortable this morning too.The plan is for a FD tomorrow, but I do struggle when it is so cold.

Thanks, Annette. Not gone into tragedy mode about it!

Sorry to hear about funeral today.

Good luck with FD tomorrow. It is hard in this weather, even here in the Mild Mild West. That’s the title of a Banksy mural in Bristol 😉

Thanks BB. I find it so much easier in the summer, but the looser waist of my skirt yesterday has inspired me.

There is a Boden skirt which I love but is too tight to wear around the waist band. A glorious bargain at a charity shop last summer. I would love to be able to wear it in comfort this spring/summer.Another goal….

FD went fine and then the menus at work changed. So I am going to try fasting from after lunch on Friday(Fish and chips-a great favourite)until after lunch on Saturday. I have never done that before, but it is the only way I am going to fit in another FD this week.

How is everyone?

I am the best that I’ve been for ages!
    Unshiftable chest/cough thingy for weeks and too many hours at work made fasting too difficult for me.
    Today i can truly say that I feel healthy – first time in yonks.
    But got on scales this morning, first time in a couple of months, 2 fast days so far this week and there was a massive drop in my weight.
    Has kept me buoyed up all day.
    Even don’t mind that my moobs ache from yesterday’s gym.
    Right, I’m off to the pub – you can all come too if you like.

Thanks, but no thanks. Pubs make my butt big.

Hi Annette,

Long time no speak – I’ve been following your progress, just been very very busy with work – although things are calming down a lot now.

I’ve kind of stabilised around 11st 1lb – my lowest in Nov was 10st 12.5lb but a combination of Xmas, going on holiday and being really busy at work in January has meant that although I’ve lost some holiday pounds, I am still trying to regain my all time low measurement.

This week I finally got time to get to the gym – and although it was hard it was OK. I am aiming for a 2nd visit tomorrow. I still think of your interval training advice from last year and do my own version of this on the cross trainer. It was definitely working towards the end of last year so I need to get back in the swing.

Done 2 fast days this week and 1 low-ish calorie day, but I am not very hopeful of any kind of loss when I weigh in tomorrow. I’m determined to make a better effort next week and hopefully get back into the 10s.

Hope all is well with you and those waistbands are loosening!

Cath xx

@etherial I think that there is a song about that?

After ‘blowing’ my fast on Monday this week, I am really struggling. I’m back to overeating, yet not nurturing myself – the addictive eater’s paradox . . . I hope I don’t undo all my good work of the past few months.

Somebody quick! Snatch me! I haven’t had a glass of wine all week because I think it may be a culprit in my slow weight loss and I received some exciting news today, (don’t want to say just yet, but will keep you apprised)and want to celebrate with a glass of my merlot/cab blend, but I keep telling myself to have a good cup of Peets Black Tea w/splenda. I do love that tea.

WHAM! Okay, felt that and it was a good snatch. I’m going to go make some tea now. Talk at you later.

Bootsy Badger (cute moniker): Try eating an ounce of macadamia nuts and a full glass of water. It will kill your appetite; seriously. Tastes good, too.

Morning Fast Friends,
    A bit disappointed that there is not a bit less of me this week. But truthfully, I am not surprised. I have been keeping a diary of what I scoff every day, not calorie counting,just logging all food.The biscuits and chocolate has been creeping back in on a daily basis,just x1 FD this week.I work in a school and my working life is broken down into half terms and terms. My goal at the end of next week(end of this half term) was to have lost 6lb/inches in 6 weeks. I have lost 8 lb in 4 weeks.The difference I think has been to go to the gym for half an hour on a FD and to cut out the biscuits etc.I think I am going to forgo the sweet treats all week and just have one thing on Saturday and Sunday (almond croissant today, apple crumble tomorrow).
    snedger glad that you are feeling better. Woo Hoo on the shrinkage.
    BB Start again next week.You might find it helps just to look no further than next week for the 5:2 and then just add another week….they all build up.
    etherial how intriguing….

Cath great to hear from you. I have kept checking your thread to see if you were back, I guessed you were bust with work. I have to shoot out to meet my friend now, but will be back after lunch.

Hi Cath,
    It has been ages since I have been in the 10’s but here I am again. I have no doubt it has to do with limiting the snacks and being in the gym for half an hour on a FD. I really don’t notice any difference to a few weights/rowing/running on a FD or not.
    Work is full of bugs and lots of illness, so I haven’t been to the gym this week at all. I have felt very tired, so have gone to bed and rested instead.Just another week to avoid the lurgy and then off for a week at half term.
    I am finding FD hard when it is cold.
    Sometimes it seems such an uphill climb, but then I have to remind myself that I am in much better shape/health/fitness than I was. I just need to either be a foot taller for my weight, or lose some weight! No choice is it?

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.