If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,749 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 3,799 total)

• Snedger, step away from the potato thoughts.

I think I’m slowly figuring out my weightloss journey. Instead of the usual multiply and dividing this number by that, I want to weigh 135 lbs. forever (I can dream, can’t I?) and so I figured why not eat like I want to maintain THAT weight? So, this is a non-fast day and the daily calorie count for a 5’6″ woman who weighs 135 lbs. is around 1400.

If someone knows better, please feel free to enlighten me.

snedger,
    I am sorry to hear about the partial lung collapse(no wonder you were in pain!) and clotting issues.Keep us posted on how you get on. I love new potatoes smothered in butter.
    mommabear,
    I am 10 lb up from Christmas too and it seems reluctant to go, but I suspect the gym has made the difference and that it is more muscle. I suspect that exercise has some effect on your weight too. Just because the intensity is less, it doesn’t mean that you are not building other muscles.I have a very sore and aching back, so have had to stop digging for a few days.The mornings are rather chilly(6C)but the garden is a scorching 13C in the afternoon.French beans in the ground, and when I can dig another couple of metres, I have peas on standby.
    etherial,
    I haven’t checked the numbers but I agree with the sentiments.For me this has always been about getting trimmer/losing weight/eating things I love. For me, a life without sticky toffee pudding and treacle tart is not a life that I wish to live.

annette52, I am a fiend for toffee. Of course, I make my own caramel and it’s just a matter of time before I’m making my own toffee. We make all kinds of puddings in school. The bakery class has a sticky toffee cake they put on sale. So good!

You stumped me at the “treacle tart” thing. I’m sure it’s delicious, but I’m American, so please bear with me because the spelling looks savory like some exotic dish at a hoity-toity restaurant where the diners eat a cow’s tracheal, which doesn’t exist, seems unappetizing, and sounds really Eff’d up.

Anyway, could it be my imagination, but my jeans feels loser than they were this morning. I mean they don’t even look attractive in the front. I look like a coal miner’s daughter in my size 12 jeans. Lord love a duck!

etherial,
    Treacle tart with custard is a bit of an old school classic.The base is a pastry case(in a loose leaf tart tin) made with flour and butter,then filled with warmed golden syrup and fresh white breadcrumbs, the zest and juice of 2 lemons and then baked for about 35 minutes in a low oven.No doubt each piece has thousands of calories, but it is scrummy!
    Good to hear that your jeans feel looser.

Exercise and garden on hold, trip to the osteopath booked for Saturday.

@snedger sorry to hear about your health problems! Hope you feel better soon 🙁

listen to you Annette and Etherial with all that food talk, lucky I am not big fun of toffee or treacle tart, or I would get my hands on those chocolate raisins by now 😉

for me… I had one of those ‘light bulbs moments’ and it hit me, that what I really miss is crunchy food 🙂 have you got any healthy ideas?
    I had handful of crispy rice the other day, just had to have something crunchy to eat, and didn’t feel like having a carrot or an apple again.

had lots of chocolate yesterday, as I had house full of 4 year olds scoffing Easter treats, lucky I knew before hand, so I wasn’t kidding myself, and had non fasting day 🙂 I surprised myself and handled that little bundle of joy well ( I am known to loose my temper) we had lots of fun, and day went fast. With 4 children at home from 9-6 I thought it will drag 😀

I also had the worst period of my life- first two since i started fasting were light so it took me by surprise. Well it’s over now, so going back to normal. Ufff!

House full of kiddies again tomorrow- doing Easter hunt for them, and decorating eggs, making Easter bonnets etc. Should be fun- at least I will have a friend to have adult conversation this time 🙂

ladies you throw those scales away, and just keep going. Muscles burn more kcal so think of all hard work your body is doing when you sit down and have whatever Easter treats you fancy 🙂

have a good day! xx

Etherial I am doing the same on my non fast days, having no more then 1380 kcal as this is what I will have to have when I reach my goal. I call it getting used to being slim 😉 well done on your trousers- time to go shopping? 😉

My chinos starting to get lose on my legs- not around my waist thou so not the time for going down in size for me yet. Although legs were always problematic region ( family inheritage) so pleased anyway.

happy fasting!

I thought that I too would check out my TDEE of the weight I want to be. As it is only 100 cals more than it is now, that seems a good figure to aim for.

Fab news on the trousers.

After a lot of deliberation, I have reserved a place on the first module of the Masters. Both scarey and exciting.

Chocolate eggs are all lined up. I have 2 little ones to look forward too.

Have a lovely Easter everyone.

Issu, if I need a “new” outfit, all I have to do is look in my closets. Seriously, I have things in there that still have tags on ’em. It’s true, I’m a clothes horse.

I got down to 140 lbs. and took for granted that being on a diet was not a good thing. I was on the Michael Thurman 6-week body makeover and lost 46 lbs. in about 6 weeks. The problem was no one can sustain a restrictive diet like that. No salt, no sugar, no dairy, no alcohol, and drink 100 oz of water every day. I also worked out 6 days a week; that I enjoyed, but the food was very bland I couldn’t hang out with girlfriends sometimes at our usual eateries or breweries because I was “watching my weight”. You become missing in action.

Today, I am going to attempt my first workout today. I’m starting off with Fluidity’s beginner workout. It’s a combo of ballet & pilates. I have Taebo, Power 90, Hip Hop Abs 1 & 2 & Extreme Hip Hop Abs; Bar Method, Yoga, Pilates, Jari Love’s Weight-lifting, Zumba and Zumba Exhilarated, and many others. I used to work out 6x a week and felt really good, but after I broke my leg and was down for 8 weeks in a boot, it was hard to resume my fitness program and that led to a year with no workouts.

Slow and steady.

I move around a lot in school, lifting stock pots, 40 lb. bags of flour, and not to mention on my feet from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then it’s on to maintaining my home. I won’t complain about cooking all day and having to do it at home, because cooking relaxes me. What I am doing right this minute is pushing myself away from the computer and getting on with my first workout. It’s only 20 minutes and I just have to do it 2x a week. Don’t know if anyone’s seen the infomercial, but it really works. I used to mix up my workouts every day.

Very interesting etherial and so much exercise!

Fast days are on hold this week, my freezer is not working properly and various drawers are starting to defrost, so we are eating what needs to eaten!

We are having a full roast today followed by Christmas Pudding/cream and chocolate eggs!

Good job we planned our long run tomorrow and not today!

Happy Easter!

Hello . Everyone! I hope you had a good Easter! Especially you Symba! Happy Birthday!!!!!!! I vas incredibly busy and very ill yesterday, thank goodness feeling better today, with both my monkey’s at home I wouldn’t managed otherwise. Women can afford to be ill for long heh? Had a break from fasting as I felt rotten all Easter but I was quite good anyway without thinking about it. I did have chocolates and cup cakes but didn’t go overboard like I would do before. We went to amusement park on Sat with lots of junk food around me and I wasnt tempted at all. What I’ve noticed I can see a difference between hunger and thirst and I am very aware of it. Nice change. @etherial is nice you have clothes in your closet to accommodate changes, I’ve run out of sizes now. 🙂 it was nice to have a break from fasting, I think I needed it, pleasently surprised my weight stayed the same. @annette your Easter/Christmas feast sounds good 🙂

Happy Easter, Everyone. My kids are all grown and my son’s family came over and I cooked a feast. Easter baskets and candy eggs in baskets and my son’s sister-in-law and her husband came, too. Our home was filled with aromas of food, music, laughter, and splashes from the pool. I had a piece of chocolate and later that night, had 1/4 slice of Tuxedo cake (alternating layers of white & chocolate ganache, and chocolate fudge between layers of light yellow cake). It’s light and I share that 1/4 slice with my husband.

Yes! Yesterday was my first day back to my fitness regime!!! I’m so happy. I did the Hip Hop Abs Extreme workout, which I heard is a segment from Shawn T’s Insanity workout. I’s pretty intense for 1 hour. I thought I’d be really sore today because I hadn’t worked out in a year, but I just feel the tiniest bit achy in my legs and shoulders.

Today, after school, I’m doing the Fluidity workout, which is only 20 minutes of ballet and pilates. I’m not going to rush back into it, but ease my way back. I used to love working out, depending on the workout, 6x a week and that was just a couple of years ago. I can get back into it and I don’t have to be hardcore to do it.

@annette I forgot to say well done on your masters, I can book my modules finally next week- looking forward to it 🙂 @etherial well done on your work out, I know how it is to get hooked in exercise, and I love the feeling. I am finding it hard to put my mind into real exercise this time. I just know that once you stop you have to start from square one. And never mind how hard I tried to find a time for exercise in September with working 32 hours, studying and being mum,wife,cook, cleaner etc. I get disheartened. I am glad I did find a way of eating alone I can control my eating habits. I do my best to walk everywhere, and stand when I talk to people and jog when I get a chance, but my head is just not on the ball. Sad that is.

Happy {belated} Easter!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I had 24 at my house for lunch after church yesterday. Therefore my normal fast day got bumped to today. But yesterday was wonderful…good food, good fun, & good fellowship!! This morning at the gym my friends asked who partook of Easter candy. I said I didn’t have candy…chocolate pie isn’t candy right?!?! Ha!!

Today has been a rough fast day. I’ve been irritable & just plain cranky. As soon as my kids were in bed I rushed off & took a hot shower. Now I’m in comfy jammies & watching my favorite tv show. So not as cranky now. Ha!

Two wonderful compliments today from friends. That helped me make it through my fast day!! Plus I bought a new dress for Easter but didn’t get to try it on in the store. Once I got it home my husband & I both agreed…it was too big! It was a medium & doubtful I could’ve worn a small, but I was thrilled that it was too big!

Regarding the scales these days, despite my shrinking inches I’m still 5 pounds higher than I was at Christmas. I’m convinced part of that is muscle gain. But still hoping to be rid of those pounds once & for all!

Love hearing about everyone’s successes, calorie ambitions & holiday celebrations!!! Happy fasting this week, friends!

Mommabear hehe no chocolate pie isn’t a candy your are right there! 😉 it’s funny that what TOO BIG NEW DRESS would be a disaster for one person in such a achievement for us! 🙂 very well done you! ( dancing in the kitchen for you!) Carry on love losing those inches and don’t worry about the scales!

Just done my first gym session at new gym. Took it very easy. Will see if there any consequences tomorrow.
    Cancelled my fast yesterday, I slow cooked some salt beef (called corned beef in the US I think – UK corned beef is tinned and mainly fat) and the smell was too irresistible not to join in.
    Just off to see if there are any discounted easter eggs in the shops – treat for tomorrow.

snedger I like you thinking about discounted Easter eggs 😀

you will be amused to hear I had to google salt beef and look at the pic, as image of corned beef left me question, how on Earth anyone can enjoy it? 🙂 I am relieved to say it looked delicious 🙂 happy fasting to you! xx

Keeping Your Weight Loss Permanent

Losing weight is a sometimes daunting task but when successful it is a cause for great pride. Keeping the weight off is also a hard job but with some key guidelines to help it is possible to keep the weight off and enjoy yourself at the same time.

How You Eat

First, it is important that in your original plan you accomplished the loss in a healthy way with a good variety of healthy foods and exercises that fit your lifestyle and attitude. This is important because to maintain your new healthy lifestyle you will need to permanently incorporate your new eating habits and exercise regime. Variety and things that suit your pace of life is the best way to stay the course with your new healthy lifestyle.

A Healthy Attitude

You need to reinforce a positive mindset in your new habits for eating and exercising. Making sure you keep with your new routine is important and keeping an upbeat view about your new habits is vital. Luckily the nutritious food and exercise will actually help in making you physically and mentally feel better and keep an optimistic outlook.

Exercise

Exercise is a crucial step in maintaining your new lifestyle. There is a huge variety of exercises and styles of workouts. You have no excuse in not finding something to suit your schedule and temperament. It’s important to remember that while you can take off weight with just wholesome and nutritious eating habits adding a cardio and weight-lifting program greatly increases your chances of losing more weight and maintaining it over time.

Motivation and Support

Sharing your goals with some friends or your family can be a good motivator and an additional help in staying the course for a healthier you. Even better include them in your new weight loss arrangement, it’s an excellent way to keep up your enthusiasm and attitude.

Carefully Choose Your Weight Loss Plan

Remember to choose carefully in your weight loss ideas and plans as well as the people you let on to your intentions. You do not want any negative thoughts or feelings to hamper your goals. Losing weight can be fun and interesting if you approach it with a positive attitude. Learning about new foods and workout styles can be quite enjoyable. Learning to cook, meet new people and travel to new and different areas can all be part of your new improved life. Approaching weight loss with a fun and yet practical outlook can be extremely rewarding and life-changing.

jennever

Hi Everybody,

I had a good 65th Birthday away, too much food and too much drink and too many Easter Eggs……but enjoyed every bit. We have to Fast, We have to live….

So definitely a few pounds on for both, clothes a midge too tight, I am keeping clear of the scales. I will weigh in a couple of weeks when everything has settled down…that’s the good thing of Fasting, we can all pull back get on track and keep the weight stable again! And loose a bit more…

Good Luck to all
    X

Thank goodness I don’t have a super sweet tooth. My bad girl thing is rich, buttery sauces over juicy, well-marbled meats. I really have to watch that and warm buttered bread.

I was swamped with homework yesterday and still have a ways to go and couldn’t work out, but nothing is getting in my way today. I’m working on my final assignment before graduation next month and guess what, it’s a food portfolio and I include some of my recipes I experimented with throughout the year and add more with menus from restaurants. All of this for 15 countries. It’s a pretty thick binder and I have to do index and tables of contents. It’s okay, I used to put legal binders together when I worked as a legal secretary. I know volume and I know how to put it together, problem is I have to get my housework and workout in; those are priorities, too.

Noticed my size 10 khaki pants are baggy! Yesterday’s dinner was a couple pieces of grilled salmon and a pear (dehydrated pieces of pear and mixed nuts) salad with mixed greens with a pear vinaigrette, and it was good an filling. I can hardly believe that those pants are loose, I mean really loose. Last year, they were a bit snug and I put ’em away and forgot about ’em until I cleaned out my closets and found them, tried ’em on, and they fit. Two weeks later, and they’re loose. Not complaining. I’m just happy I finally incorporated fitness into this eating plan. The workouts make things a lot easier and faster weight loss.

Viva la Loo-see!

Hello Fast Friends,
    I ran a 10K this am and knocked 6 minutes(a minute a mile) off, and sprinted the fastest that I have ever run in my whole life to the end….and finished in time to get a small t shirt! Beyond thrilled. I hurt my neck and back gardening a few weeks ago and it is just settling down. Post race it feels much better.I can’t believe that interval training has made so much difference,when I managed 6 weeks out of 8.

The scales are just not moving, neither is the tape measure…but some clothes are fitting better.I may just have to log what goes in for a week and see how far off my TDEE I actually am eating.

My other news is that I have taken the plunge and signed up for the starting on Saturday course with the OU. I am excited and frightened in equal measures.

Wonderful!!!

annette, you are a star! Am I right in thinking that was your personal best for a 10K? Never mind the scales or the tape measure, you have clearly done something quite miraculous to your body with 5:2 and all your hard work.

And great that you’ve signed up for the OU Saturday course. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling! I’ve just looked back at an earlier post of yours and see that this is the first module of the Master’s. I’d love to hear all about it. When do you start?

Thank you.
    Lycra is not forgiving…a little way to go yet!We have another 10K in a 4 weeks time and I hope to improve in the coming weeks.

It is a Law Masters which comprises of 180 points, 120 of which are compulsory.Most of the courses are 30 points and take about 6 months each.So after a bit of soul searching and comments from folk on here I registered on the very last day possible. It starts on Saturday and ends in October.The course looks at government and non government organizations, security issues and humanitarian interventions against the backdrop of international law.There are 2 essays and on line tutorials. I am waiting for any reading matter to arrive this week.

Well done on your 10k and your best time, you make us all feel guilty!

Also back to study on your OU, if you could turn the clock back and do things differently…….

Good luck on your next run.

We are also riding our weight of the moment, as you are….things will improve when the weight decides to move, as long as its stable ish we are happy. Keep Fasting!

X

Thank you Annette for your inspirational words. I need to lose 4 stone and the thought of how long this is going to take is really getting me down. I am fully aware that taking things one step at a time is key but hearing from someone who has done it and coming out the other side is a great boost!

Thank you.
    I have had a look at the OU website and am now rather scared about what is involved, but I shall take it a course at a time and see how it goes.I will regret it if I don’t have a go, so not much choice really!

Yorkshire lass,
    Thank you.I am sure that 4 stone looks very daunting, but why not break it down into much smaller amounts? If you lose 1 lb every week for 14 weeks then that is 1 stone.BUT you might lose less lbs but more inches in the same time frame.
    If I could give you any advice it is to read all of the FAQ’s and make sure that you measure/weigh/try on clothes at the same time once a week.Don’t be demoralized if no-one seems to notice a difference, I think it takes at least 14 lb and even then you might just have to tell them how well you have done!The important thing as that you will feel better and cooler as the padding shrinks.Remember that this a marathon and not a sprint, it took time to put the weight on and it will take time to shrink too.If you can increase how much you walk every day, then that will help to tone and build muscle. More muscle, burns more calories.Make a big goal, it might be 14 lb less of you in 14 weeks, and build in non food rewards for smaller goals, such as 2 lb.Charity shops are invaluable as your shape changes, and you can donate your clothes when they are too big.If you reach a plateau when there are weeks when the scales don’t move, don’t give up and keep going. I spent one month when the scales didn’t move at all, but I lost 7 inches all over!Half a stone less of me made a huge difference on how I felt and looked. I still think of the time my skirt slipped over my hips still zipped up-a magic moment, all those clothes that I was sick of the sight of were dispatched immediately to the charity shop because I was never going to be that size again…ever.I shall look forward to hearing how you are getting on, the highs and the lows are of equal importance, just keep going and don’t give up. If you lost a lb a week up to Christmas, how much could you potentially lose by then?
    The key to this is that it is not a quick fix, but a change to your way of life. One that I am thrilled that I chose to do and my knees don’t ache anymore.

Hi fast friends, sorry I’ve been gone so long. had some computer problems. have been having a serious up and down month. up a couple of pounds, down a couple. I figure that I’ll just continue with the plan and see where it leads me.

don’t want to hijack the thread, but wanted to check on Mommabear and our other U.S. friends. we have had some serious weather this week. Mommabear are you ok. I know you are in Arkansa, don’t know if you are in the area so decimated by the tornadoes. Hope everyone is ok. we had golf ball size hail last night really scary, but no tornado and no real damage. another night of the same weather ahead. don’t know how well my fast day is going to go today. 🙂

did you all ever find out what a hushpuppy is? it’s a fried cornmeal fritter. has the cornmeal, onion, egg and milk, and fried in oil that you are frying fish in. when folks had a fishfry around here on the riverbank, they would try them up to toss to the dogs to get them to stop barking wanting the fish. hence, hushpuppies. when I was little I called them shut up puppies, no body at my house said hush, they said shut up. 🙂

I so enjoy reading how everyone is doing. welcome all our new fast friends. sorry for the monolog, hope everyone is having a good day. Phyllis

HA! “SHUT-UP PUPPIES”, funny. I just finished baking stuffed Chinese bakery buns. I’m taking some to school, so my classmates can try. I also found out my Kitchen Aid doesn’t handle heavy dough because Hobart, the original manufacturer sold the company and the new machines will smoke and burn out. I’m purchasing a vintage Hobart Kitchen Aid from Ebay. No wonder our grandmothers’ Kitchen Aids lasted 40 some odd years; it’s because Hobart made them.

I was so busy in class yesterday, cooking from 9-3, prepping for the lunch service in our Bistro today and tomorrow, and I had to restock our regular menu because over the weekend, one of our walk-in friges’ compressor was down and everything was about 70 degrees and spoiled.

Like I said earlier, no matter how much food I’m surrounded by, I don’t have desire to eat it. I didn’t eat anything, except a boiled egg for lunch and then I was off to my food costs class.

I’m crazy, because when I got home, I was excited about making the bakery buns for the first time and they came out great, but could use some improvements, like not stuffing them so full of meat; it takes away from the fluffiness of the bun.

Hi ethereal, I am really impressed that you can be around all that food and not nibble. thanks for the Kitchen Aid info. I have been lusting after one of those for years. now I know I need to find an older one.

I’m not feeling very well today, lack of sleep and anxiety fatigue from last night. I may not make under 500 cals today, but will try to keep it down. that’s one of the things I love about this plan, I can work it around my real life and still see results.

wishing you a great day, hope your buns are a big hit. Phyllis

Phyllis, I’ve wondered where you were & how you were doing! Thanks for checking on me. We’re fine. We had been told the storms were going to be bad & we were prepared. Well, as prepared as you can be. Anyway, the storms ended up splitting around us, barely giving us any hail. But 16 are dead just 2 hours from us & such devastating loss. The same small town was hit 3 years ago. My dad helped people cut down trees, fix damage, etc. I’m sure he’ll go back this year. He usually helps all around: Alabama, Missouri, etc. We are grateful we are fine!! More storms coming this Spring. Crazy!

I fasted yesterday, & did great. Finished the day at 487 calories, no headache but still cranky. Ha!!

@Yorkshire lass, I agree with Annette. 4 stone can be daunting…but I guarantee you’ll see a bigger difference in your inches lost. Start watching your clothes!! It’s hard for me to see differences in myself when I’m naked, but clothes don’t lie!! Just yesterday I was looking in the mirrors in the barre studio at the gym & couldn’t believe that was me!!! I really looked smaller & while I’ve always loved my body, curves and all, I looked & was proud of what I saw. For me, I’ve hovered around the same weight for so long, but my inches have shrunk considerably. Good luck to you!

Happy fasting, all!! Tomorrow is normally a fast day, but I have a team tennis match tomorrow…& I’m playing singles. I’m gonna need my energy!! Ha! So I’ll be fasting Thursday. Hoping for another day as good as yesterday!

Thanks, Phyllis, they were! I am sooo exhausted because yesterday and today was grueling in cooking class. I was on my feet from 9:00a-3:00p, no breaks, just cutting, slicing, dicing, and cooking. Rave reviews on my pupusas and chicken & sofrito. I also came home and baked some Chinese stuffed bakery buns. Took 1/2 dozen to school for everyone to taste.

I want to workout, but I’m feeling sooo exhausted. I need a miracle…or a glass of wine.

BTW, I’m 58 years old and can move around those kids in my class, just as quickly. One reason you don’t eat the food is because some of these kids in class don’t have a clue about splitting a leek before you put it into a stock pot or washing their hands. I mean most of my classmates are sanitary, but you still have a few. Hell, they don’t even wash their uniforms half of the time.

Who wants to eat around that? But, it keeps me on plan. As a matter of fact, tomorrow is my fast day, but yesterday and today, I barely ate anything; no time. Tomorrow is tasting day and we’re serving South American cuisine and I don’t eat breakfast or dinner when I eat my tasting menu.

Pretty cool, huh?

Hi all, Mommabear,glad you are all ok. congratulations on a good fast day. hope your tennis goes well.

Etherial, yup, sounds like your classmates habits would make it easier to resist those nibbles. 🙂 South American cuisine, yum!

Annette, congrats on your great run time! I’m really impressed at how far you have come on your journey.

so pleased to see everyone doing so well on the plan. Yorkshire lass, you can do this.

I’m so far behind with the thread, please forgive me if I don’t mention everyone. I loose track when I’m trying to post. sending you all good wishes for a great day. Phyllis

Hello Fast Friends,
    Glad to hear that our friends across the pond are safe after the storms.
    It sounds like it is all going well for everyone.I can’t keep up individually, sorry.
    I am just fasting tomorrow this week and then plan to do 2 days next week. I couldn’t do Monday after the Sunday run I was just too hungry.The plan is to get in 3 gym sessions a week for the next 3 weeks plus a long run, plus Ceroc on a Tuesday. I may not make 2 fast sessions, it may just be one.We have another 10K in 3 weeks and my son seems to think that we could knock another 2 minutes off our PB if we go to the gym and work hard on the intervals.

A very scarey parcel has arrived from the OU. I am excited and frightened, but have started with a little reading to try and exercise the grey matter!

Summer clothes are tighter than I would like, so I shall have to make some changes to get the scales/tape measure moving.Ho hum.

Hi annette,

Hopefully you’ll find that everything in the scary parcel looks much more scary on paper than it does when you actually start doing it. Now on the final lap of the MA I still look back at all the stuff in the student handbook with its programme structure, core modules, etc and think “What the so-and-so is that all about?” – only to find I’ve actually done it and it wasn’t nearly as bad as they made it sound.

‘sabout time someone invented an elasticated tape measure.
    Big mistake only having soup for dinner last night – so hungry!
    Seriously thinking about doing a breakfast eating challenge tomorrow – it’s called The Beast – right now I could probably eat two.

Thanks for the moral support hermajtomomi. I hope that your right. Couldn’t find were to search for the audio/book extracts for the activities and was panicking that I was going to have find them myself. Another student responded to my pleas for help and now I know where they are. Phew.

An elastic tape measure sounds a fabulous idea. I always have a meal the evening before a fast day and usually end up in a food shop on a fast day.Ho Hum.

Looking forward to fish and chips tomorrow!

I’m glad you can sprint Annette, ‘cos today I cannot – but I did beat “The Beast” !
    https://www.facebook.com/TheDownlandsCafe

So, just one ginormous meal today and now a 40 hour fast.

Hello Everyone! I’m glad to see everybody is well and achieving! 🙂 I had 2 weeks off fasting- i was very unwell, so there was no chance to even try. First week back on track 🙂 I went shopping today- friend of mine is getting married so I needed something new to wear. My first shopping trip in years I actually liked picking an outfit! Bought 2 dresses and 2 jackets 😀 I am glad i am going back to work soon 😉

Annette you will be just fine! we say in Poland: Devil isn’t as scary, as it looks 😀 good luck!!! xxx

snedger,
    I can only sprint for a short distance. Much more impressed that you managed to beat ‘the beast’.
    issu,
    I hope that you are feeling much better now and great to hear that you had fun shopping….finally.

I have been on a plateau now for 6 weeks. I was getting a bit fed up and then discovered today that I have lost another half inch off each thigh.I was really hoping for some off the hips, then I can wear some new trousers.
    So to date,there is 15 lb and a truly amazing 25″/64 cms less of me!!!!

My next goal is a 10K in 2 weeks time. In an effort to knock another 2 minutes off, we are going to the gym x3 times a week(doing interval training and a few weights)and then a long run.I suppose that this might have something to do with this plateau and I am convinced that my arms are more toned.

I have started studying, not as scary as I first thought but rather a lot of material to cover.

Annette,
    You can have some of my shape change – I now have to wear a belt all the time for trousers/jeans – or they will just fall down.
    Is there a vibro-plate machine at your gym? I’ve just discovered that they are excellent for warming up/down.
    I am relieved to realise that I am officially fixed! Played cricket yesterday, first game for a new club, no issue with intercostal – and even took 2 wickets, which is going to give me a buzz for days – still a kid at heart me 🙂
    Going to treat myself on bank holiday Monday, instead of fasting – chipolata sausage sarnies for breakfast, yum, yum !
    Cheers

My newly washed new jeans were sliding down too. How? I have no idea.I don’t need a belt but do have to hitch them up after I have bent down.They were a sale purchase with a view that they were going to be(hopefully)too big by the end of the year.

No vibro-plate machine. It is a very small gym in a school, a 3 minute walk from home, which was why we joined.We use the treadmill for intervals and a few weights if we can still stand up/have time before dinner is ready.
    Glad that you are back to cricket again and enjoy your non fast day.

I might fast Tuesday and Thursday this week and next. I don’t fancy trying intervals on a fast day, it’s hard enough with food!

I was thinking about the changes that being on the 5:2 have made to me. Apart from the obvious weight loss and shape change, I am much fitter, my blood pressure is now normal, psoriasis in my scalp and apart from the odd tiny patch on my legs has also disappeared.I have become a charity shop addict though, I have bought numerous dresses/tops/skirts and donate my clothes as they become too big. Ultimate recycling!

hahah Snedger and Annette you are making me laugh! 🙂 watch out for falling of pants hehehe!

I feel much better now, thank you- back to normal. struggling to fast a bit a the moment- finding it difficult to focus somehow. Only 6 days of mat leave left… 🙁

I was told how slim I look today, which was lovely, wearing a skirt that I couldn’t do up when I bought it in the summer.The weird thing is that my hips and waist are the same size, so it must be the bit in between that has shrunk a bit.

You may well have a lovely time back at work issu.

I hope that everyone is OK.

Annette I often find that my scale doesn’t show any changes, tape measure too but clothes are loosened here and there. So great news for you! Lovely comment to hear! Xxx 4 day left… have visitors everyday which is great but fasting is difficult as people don’t want to eat if I don’t eat myself, at least fasting at work should be easy 🙂 didn’t loose anything this week but didn’t put on any weight too so I am happy anyway. After the wedding on Sat and 2 burgers on hungover, and all visitors and cakes I almost expected gain something. Fasting again, with visitor on the way to my house, and homemade granola bars for snacks for my friend… gonna be done! 🙂

Morning Fast Friends,
    It appears that the 7 week plateau has ended with a 1 lb loss, hurray!So, to date that brings me to a weight loss of 16 lb and 25 inches/64 cms.

For years I have had this fold of fat that ran from hip bone to hip bone, convinced that a tummy tuck was the only answer. I have noticed that the fold has got smaller as I have lot weight and learned to run.I have noticed in recent weeks that my waist seems to look longer and leaner, as I have been trying to work out how clothes look/fit better, but the scales/tape measure have stayed the same.

Yesterday I noticed that this horrid fold…..has gone!!!!!!
    I am convinced that interval training has had this effect, because it is the only thing that has changed.I am much fitter and work much harder in the gym than I ever do running outside because you can see exactly how fast you are going and how long you need to run at that pace, followed by a number of repeats.I had resigned myself to not losing any weight as I built muscle.

Next Saturday is the next 10K and my son has set me the challenge of knocking another 2 minutes off our PB.So long run(9 slow miles tomorrow, which is a mile increase) and then gym Monday and Wednesday to do intervals and a short run Friday.I am the fittest that I have ever been in my life. Amazing that it has only been 2 years from no running ever to 3 half marathons with a 4th in September.

Annette I think you are marvellous!

I too have such a fold of fat – do you think it is specifically the interval training (as opposed to running) that got rid of it? If so – can you explain in a bit more detail what you do for interval training? I am just getting going at the gym so I am looking for ideas….

It must be fabulous to feel so fit and I am in awe of your running and the half marathons. Also – I am so pleased that you have finally slipped of the plateau this week – long may it continue.

Cath x

Thanks Cath.
    Running(however slowly I go) has toned my body all over.I think that the combination of a slow weight loss and running has certainly helped, I had stopped noticing that the fold was shrinking too. I am convinced that interval training has made all the difference to my longer waist and to the fold disappearing.
    Interval training is running at a pace that you can maintain comfortably for about 20 minutes or 8 laps of the circuit on the treadmill and then running much faster for varying number of laps.Last week we had to do the usual 8 laps and then run as fast as we could at a pace that we could maintain, for 2 continuous laps, rest for 3 minutes and then repeat that 5 times. Tonight we have the usual 8 lap warm up and then x10 1 lap intervals, with the usual 3 minute rest in between each one.We leave the gym in a puddle of sweat and sleep very well.
    My son, a chap that loves statistics, has pointed out that our fitness improvement in 6 weeks doing intervals was equal to that in 4 months running by ourselves outside!I am able to run faster and for longer now because i know that I can on the treadmill, much of running is in your head and often the first 2 miles are the toughest as you warm up.
    My slow pace was 4.8miles/hour and is now 5.5MPH. Fast might be 6 or even for half a lap 7 MPH. I am getting faster but more importantly can maintain it for longer, which is quite apparent when we run outside.I would never have believed it was possible to improve so much in such a short time, but it is very hard work.

Wow that’s seriously impressive exercise Annette – but a really inspirational tale!

I can’t really run if I am honest (never really could) and have been advised by the doc and physio that it would not be the best for my hip – but any non-impact exercise is OK.

After six sessions I have worked up to 15 minutes cycling and 15 minutes on the cross trainer (followed by a whole load of hip stretching, sit ups and upper body exercises). At first I struggled to get through but I can feel the improvement already so my aim in a couple of weeks is to try to apply your interval training techniques to the cycle and cross trainer to see if they help.

Will keep you posted

Cath x

Hi Cath,
    I am not surprised that running would not be the best for you after surgery. What about swimming? I haven’t been since last summer, but plan to go twice in half term and then twice a week during the summer holidays. How much I actually do is another thing, but a plan is a start!

Our plan is to reduce the intervals for the next month and work on weights for the upper body. I have very weedy arms and would like to get stronger, which will also help me run faster.I need a stronger upper body, to help prevent another trip to the osteopath when I hurt my neck either from gardening or dancing.

Not fasting this coming week. I have a cold and will rest from the gym too. Weight and measurements are the same, but had a huge cull of clothes that don’t look good.If I haven’t worn it in a year, it’s going from my wardrobe.

Well done Cath, I am sure that you will see the improvements over the coming weeks.Mixing up the exercises will help minimise boredom too.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 3,799 total)

You must be logged in to reply.