I am new – starting next thursday

This topic contains 144 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Martin46GB 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 145 total)

• Hello you THREE! 🙂

My sunday fast went pretty well, no headaches. no hunger pains. And I’ve had a low-carb dinner and went to work, just water there.
    At the moment I still like cooking a fresh meal but maybe this will change.
    I already have the feeling that I eat better on the other days (not yesterday because I was invited to a birthday!). So the fasting days seem to work better now, I am so happy! I was a bit worried in the beginning when I first started because I had so many problems.

@martin: what kind of soup do you buy? And what kind of fruit do you prefer?

@stumpweasel: 4:3 would be too much for me. I stick to the 2 days. My BMI was 25.6 yesterday – so I am not in a hurry, I am almost in the healthy range. I am glad you can concentrate during the fasting day, I have a bit problems to concentrate and stay focused. My brain craves for carbs even if I don’t feel very hungry. It seems to shout “where is my fuel?” ;).

@dummerchen: yes, it already feel easier and I am so happy about that! I am sure it will be easier each week. I forgot, when did you start with the 5:2 lifestyle?

Good luck to everyone, we will lose all that extra weight! 😀

Glad to hear you feel the benefits.

I started end of January this year, mainly for health reasons. I’m type II diabetic and thought this way of eating was beneficial – and it is!
    Had a check up before I started with the fasts and my diabetes was out of control. At last check in July it was perfectly controlled without medication. I have rediced my carb intake on the non fast days and my portions have become smaller. I also notice that my sugar cravings have disappeared, and when I eat sugary stuff it no longer appears to affect my blood sugar as badly as it used to do.
    And then there is the weight loss as a nice side effect. Who can ask for more?

Anni, glad to hear sunday was ok. Yesterday ok for me, on target. I tracked my intake today (normal day) and think I was within my limit (1995kc). Now that I have my fast days fixed, I’ll probably take more care on normal days. The soup I have is from Tesco, in a cardboard carton 600g. The kcal varies according to which flavour you have. (This time it was on special offer @ £1 each). I guess you have similar in Germany. Fruit – Clementines or similar, and Apples.

Hello Dummerchen & Stumpweasel.

I am wondering about 4:3 as I have a lot to lose. I’ll stick to Mon/Thu for this month and weigh myself at the end. I have the blood tests booked for next week.

Happy fasting all.

Hey all!

Another fasting day… this time with a little headache.
    I am cooking green beans right now, will have them with two slices of tofu.
    I already had 10 raw almonds and 2 tomatos.
    Next fasting day should be next monday.
    My weight is going down a little bit. It is really not a fast weightloss which is okay because I don’t have that much extra weight and the slower I lose the better I can keep it off.

In winter I will definately go for soup!
    At the moment we have a nice sunshine and it’s still warm outside.
    Will ride my bike in the evening and visit my parents.

Hope you all are well and in a good mood! 🙂

Hello all

Well one fasting day down but on my weigh-in, I’d gained a couple of pounds. GRRRR. Second fast day today, have tried to keep to my 500 calories so hoping the scales will be a little kinder. And will go for my third fast day on Saturday. 4:3 isn’t for everyone but as I spend the days at a desk, mostly it works for me.

But small gain aside, am well and in a good mood.

I love soup too, Anni73, so will also be making that a part of my diet as the cold days arrive.

Got through my third fast day today ok. Went out to meet friends at a pub tonight and drank a diet Coke. Now three normal days to look forward to!
    I’m not going to weigh myself until the end of the month, by which time I hope I will see a reduction.

Hello!

I am struggling a bit with my days inbetween. My weight goes down and up again. I make better decisions and I don’t eat everything, it’s just that my body seems to have water fluctuations.
    So I decided not to weigh myself for a while.
    Another fasting day today and I just had black coffee and water so far. I feel a bit anxious today, the past few days were difficult for me, fighting another depression (I am already for medications for this since 1991).
    There was a huge buffet on saturday and I ate way too much, felt very gulity and bloated afterwards. Next saturday another anniversary and buffet is waiting for me, will try to do better then.

So how are you guys doing?

Hi Anni

Does the black coffee on an empty stomach contribute to your anxiety? It doesn’t bother me until I’ve had several cups and then it makes me a bit jittery but some people are much more sensitive to it. You might try herb teas, fruit teas or red bush tea and see if that helps. I know they taste like rotting vegetation at first but you quickly come to like them if you persevere! I drink red bush every day, either without milk or with a little unsweetened soya milk. I’d never go back to standard tea.

Lizzypb

Hi Anni,

I agree about weighing, just don’t think about it for a week or so. I’m sure that weight fluctuates naturally, so don’t get excited or depressed about + or – a small amount. Sorry you’re feeling down, try to keep busy. I don’t think one buffet is going to stop you, or even two! Just stick to your fast-day plans and everything will work out. I think Lizzy may be right about the black coffee.(Hi Lizzy!)

I enjoyed my three normal days over the weekend, but today is a fast day – one coffee (with s-s milk) so far. I went this morning to get blood tests, but the nurse could not get any blood out of me! Perhaps I’ve run out.

@lizzy: hello and thanks for your reply!
    I usually start my fasting day with a black tea with lemon, if I cut out the caffeine completely I get a terrible headache. Right now I have a green tea. Maybe the coffee wasn’t helpful to calm down. I have there anxieties a couple of days now, also on regular days with normal eating.
    I also like red bush tea! I have a variety of non-caffeine teas and herbal teas.

@martin: haha, I don’t think you have run out of blood! I keep my fingers crossed the results are better and you could already improve.

I just had 2 tomatos, a few slices of cucumber and 7 raw almonds.
    For Dinner is planned green bellpepper, fennel and carrot with lean chicken breast.

Hi @anni73 ,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling down and anxious. I do think caffeine has a part to play as @lizzypopbottle says. I’ve cut back on my consumption for this reason but like you, I can’t give it up altogether. I’ve had a caffeine withdrawal headache before and don’t wish to have another.

From your descriptions you eat well – so as long as you’re more aware of the amount on a non-fast day a few parties here and there won’t do any harm. And as @martin46gb says, our bodies do fluctuate for all sorts of reasons – biological ones are trial. But you’re doing something and that counts for a lot.

@martin46gb I think you’re right about not weighing yourself too often – but I can’t go a month between weigh-ins; sure my clothes feel loser but I need the scales to confirm the loss too. I suppose I need to see the proof in quantifiable numbers.

Hope the rest of the week goes well for all of you. Fast Day #2 tomorrow.

Hi Stumpweasel, I understand. My clothes still feel the same, but I’ve only been doing it for a week. I’m off to Goodwood Revival for the w/e so I know I’ll be eating a fair bit (plus a modicum of booze!) and I figured it would be best to wait a while after that. My eyesight has got to the stage where the scales are out of focus both with and without my specs on, so I need big changes to look at in order to see them!

Hi!
    I am starting the 5:2 this morning and needed a little encouragement. I read through these posts and you all gave me the support I craved, thank you!

I am 46 years old and not exactly overweight but I know my body is responding to foods differently than it used to! I have more trouble getting rid of extra fat especially around my belly and hips. I love exercise and do some kind of activity almost every day. I am a very healthy eater too, lots of veg and fruit, ‘clean” proteins, only fish or veg based… And over the pat year I have been learning about the glycemic index….foods that cause the body to get too much glucose. So I have been trying to be conscience of that…Getting old is so much work!!

I saw the program Michael Mosley did when he discovered this 5:2 diet and it seemed like a great solution to getting healthier and shedding a few pounds, I’m aiming to take off about 8.

So today I begin! I have todays food planned light breakfast, and a light dinner, no carbs, only grapefruit, coffee, and greek yogurt, plain with cinnamon…..then for dinner, big bunch of greens, bolied egg with mustard and a wee bit of dressing ….Yikes, here I go!

Hello my fasting-friends!

Today is a bit different for me… I just had a small bowl of oatmeal, popped amaranth and soy-yoghurt and 5 almonds. Normally I fast until late afternoon as you know. But I have to do a change on thursdays. I do have my piano lessons early afternoon and the past 2 thursdays I had huge problems to concentrate and I was not as good as I wanted, my brain felt strange. So I have to modify my thursdays because I don’t want to waste my piano lessons because of a lack of sugar :).
    And no other day would be better, I have always something I have to be fit for. I also have to work tonight. I think it is okay to have modifications, my BMI was 25.6 this morning so I am close to the normal range.

@susie-q: welcome to the 5:2 diet! So how ended your first day? I am happy this forum could help you to get through.

@stumpweasel: I really have to care a bit more on the non-fasting days, I don’t want to overeat then. My cravings did change so the 5:2 diet is already doing something good for me! I am way more relaxed and don’t freak out like before when I feel hungry.

I am not sure what I will have for dinner. I will see, I have some options at home.

Hello @anni73

Had a good fast day on Wednesday but a bit naughty yesterday – needed up having a bowl of rice and chicken from our Chinese takeaway for lunch. Plus can of coke – I think I was a bit hyper with all the caffeine & sugar. Got home a partner was cooking dinner – sweet and sour chicken. I didn’t have any rice and the recipe was from our diet book but I felt stuffed!

So Fast Day 3 today to make up for it but no fast days this weekend. Probably won’t weigh myself for a few days so I don’t fret over any fluctuations.

I think you’re right to change your fasting pattern for your piano lessons – being hungry/empty would distract from getting the most out of your lesson. But with your BMI in a good place, 5:2 is obviously benefitting you.

@martin46gb enjoy glorious Goodwood this weekend, hope the weather is good for the event. Fasting can wait a bit, this diet is patient and there’s no-one judging you if you have a wobble (another reason not to do WeightWatchers in my book 😉 )

@susie-q well come to Anni73’s forum. Hope your first day went well. I saw Michael Mosley’s programme too, inspired me to try this. My first attempt failed, I know I didn’t get my fast days right. But this time around, my head is in the right place and I’ve lost my first stone. Still a goodly way to go…

@stumpweasel what happened when you didn’t get your fast days right?

My 12 year old son is interested enough to have opinions on how my non-fast days should go. He thinks I should eat very carefully paying attention to calories and keep it low. I said ‘Thats exactly what I dont want to worry about; counting calories 7 days a week!’ BUT I already have good habits and knowledge about foods and would not go overboard on non-fast days. I am hoping what Michael Mosley shared about the body craving a lower calorie diet on non-fast days will be true. Letting instinct and good sense guide me is my preference!

Today is my first day after two ‘fast day’ at 400 calories. I figured i was already in the mode after 1 day that doing them consecutively would work. It did but I hope it gets a little easier after a couple of weeks. I had a little headache this morning but not bad.

I love hearing you guys use the term ‘stone’. It converts to 14lbs., right? Thats a lot of weight to be lost! Keep on doing this good work! Thanks for the conversations on this forum @anni73

Hi @susie-q

Yes a stone is 14lbs, so I’ve a goodly amount to go! I lost 21lbs using The Hairy Dieters cookbooks but slowly put it back on. We still cook from their books, I just don’t have rice or potatoes with my evening meal on my fast days. And I eat minimally during a fast day. I just couldn’t do my fast days back to back, but if that works for you, stick with it.

On days fast days when I didn’t get things right, I didn’t lose weight or not as much as I thought I should. The first try with the diet i don’t think I was getting down to 500 calories and I didn’t really like what I was eating for my breakfast and lunch snacks. So I set myself up to fail. This time, I’ve altered things and it’s working. Some weeks better than others but the weight is coming off and I’m feeling so much better.

I don’t count calories on non-fast days – I have cut out the biscuits and don’t drink as much coffee as I did. I have found, as a Michael Mosley said, my appetite isn’t as huge on non-fast days. I (mostly) eat sensibly, I listen to my body much more now but I refuse to count calories, if I over indulge one day, my body seems to naturally want less the next day. It’s good that your son is being supportive but you need to do things your way.

I am a chocoholic, but even that delight has lost it’s allure somewhat since I’ve been on 5:2. I do still enjoy a little now and then and as my 9 year old son wants to make chocolate ice-cream today i will indulge later 🙂

Hello all!

I wish you a wonderful week-end, fasting or not.
    Today another buffett and party is waiting for me, this time I’ll do better and don’t eat until I am sick. I made a vegan quinoa-salat which I like and hope others will like it, too.

@stumpweasel: yes, my piano lesson is worth a small bowl of oatmeal :).
    You are doing good, don’t worry. You have already lost so much, wow.

@susie-q: since I am from germany, it is kilograms here. Our pound has 500 grams which is half a kilo. But I know that an american pound is only 454 grams. Australians also have the kilograms… I could never get used to the english stones.
    So where are you living and what do you use when you step on the scale? Also kilograms?
    I am going to be 41 in october. I think it is harder to lose weight now and I rally need to get off that huge bellyfat. I am appletype-shaped (you know, this apple- and pearshaped categories).

@martin: I know what you mean about the scales and the eyesight. My parents have a scale with no digits and when I step on theirs, I could hardly see what my weight is, even with my contacts in. So I am happy to have a scale with digits I can read properly. Well, sometimes it is depressing….I mean, to see the correct number! Haha.

And again to everyone: sorry if I am doing mistakes (grammar, vocabulary).

Anni, I hope the buffet party went well, and that you enjoyed it without worrying about the diet. I had a lovely weekend at Goodwood – very exciting racing (cars & bikes), and far too much food & drink! Now it’s a fast day, thank goodness.

Welcome Susie-q. Two 400 cal days in succession – that’s a very strong start, well done.

Stumpweasel, I love chocolate too, but these days my insides don’t (not sure why) so I stopped eating it. I have now stopped buying biscuits & crisps – they are just too tempting.

Hello Fellow Fasters,

It is so nice to hear from you, I hope all are doing well and remembering why we are doing this. I’m sure we all have our reasons!

Mine are: Health! I want to enjoy all the good things in my life even more, Longevity, I have kids and a husband, I want to be around for fun with them for a long time!, and Vanity! Clothes look better on me when slimmer, also, it feels good to have a Challenge!, and to feel like I am self motivated in accomplishing something for myself….I hope this will be a life long way to live

Tomorrow begins the second pair of fasting days. Looking forward to it actually., sort-of…

@anni73: I live in Vermont, USA…Lbs are on my scale, I am trying not to look at it more than 1x per week!

@stumpweasel: I love the idea that our bodies crave less calories when doing this fast program. I think also the sweets and carbs are not on the menu on fast days so those foods in particular begin to be less of a habit/craving…

Keep it up! We are doing something really good for ourselves!!!!

Hello all

@anni73 your English is fantastic – sorry to say that as a teenager, I just could not get my head around the German language. I remember little bits – I could probably manage to ask for a return ticket to Cologne [ein zuruckfahrkarte nach Koln?]. Shameful really.

It is harder to lose weight now, but I’m with you @susie-q – health and a bit of vanity made me want to give this a try. I’m not sure what shape I am – tending towards donut like Homer Simpson perhaps?

Think I’m fasting again tomorrow – as I have to be at a school event on Thursday, but plan to bake tomorrow evening so I might delay – it’s too tempting to have that icing bowl there and not lick the spoon or bowl. @martin46gb see I haven’t entirely conquered my sweet tooth…

Have a good Wednesday.

Hi Stumpweasel, nor have I! Had Strawberries & cream with loads of sugar at the w/e plus cream cakes and puds.

Susie-q, I started because an old girlfriend sent me the book. She said it seemed to work for her, and that I looked like I should try it! She always did call me Chubs. I read it and it seemed do-able so here I am.

@martin46gb Oh you can’t give up strawberries and cream. I couldn’t.

My sons use fat or chubby to describe me. I have insisted on the word plump! I find it less offensive. And if they want to use my Playstation, my rules apply.

Hello you all!

I don’t want to depress you (haha, joke…) but I will leave this thread/board.
    The problem is that it makes me feel bad when I read how good this lifestyle works for everyone.
    I don’t lose weight and the fasting days are so difficult for me. Anxieties, depression…and I don’t feel confident. Today is another fasting day and all I want to do is to cry.
    Even my Mom does a lot better than me although I thought it would be difficult for her to have a fasting period.
    I am still working on that and I don’t want to give up.
    But I will do this on my own and as good as I can.

Thank you all and have a good time! It was nice to meet you here.

Hi Anni,
    Don’t leave us, and don’t get depressed about not losing weight. Your BMI is ok so you don’t have much to worry about. As the song goes “pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and” ……keep going! We’re with you.

Oh Anni73 I agree with Martin – please stay.

My first attempt at this diet just didn’t work – I got really down about it.I left it for a while before starting again: though I’m heading in the right direction it’s slow going.

Your BMI is good – mine is still pretty high and I envy you. We are here for you, through the good days and the bad. Maybe try moving your meal pattern around, a different configuration might work better for you – I have small snacks to fit with breakfast and lunch and ‘bigger’ evening meal. you might need something different.

Whatever you decide, look after yourself. xx

Hello for me is very hard to start over with some diet and I am still overweight I don`t have motivation for exercise or diet what to do 🙂

Hello @ryan W it is hard to start over, I agree. I saw a picture of myself this summer I really hated and it gave me the impetus to try again.

Some days I really want to stop this 5:2 diet but i know if I do, then the spiral of being depressed because I look pear shaped and my clothes don’t fit will set in again. So I get through those days as best I can. And other fast days I look forward to.

Dear @anni73,
    I was so sad to hear you felt like everyone was doing better than you on this diet. Not true! You are the one that I first related to, You are inspiring with your strong, cheerful approach, yet you were also honest about your struggle. That is -real- and that is how you will succeed! you probably are not going to peek at these posts as you sounded quite resolved to leave BUT i wanted to put it out there that you were a valuable person to us all and you are missed!

@ryan W You are not alone in feeling stuck and overwhelmed!!! I know, I am there too!!! It is the hardest thing to do in life-changing old patterns and looking at the long road ahead. Maybe the best thing to do is write a couple of small, achievable goals down for yourself in a special diary or notebook. : Park farther from the door at work or shopping… Take the stairs,… Walk around the block or parking lot at lunchtime… As you check your goals off your list, you may begin to see that you can achieve your goals. When you find some new habits that work, continue doing them every week. Start small, be super kind to yourself and remember that you are so worth the effort. Baby steps

I agree with lot of you but I still can force my self to go walk on block 🙂 when I can still watch tv and play some stuff in house I know it`s not good but ………:)

@ryan W
    It is hard to stay motivated, I didn’t get out much this weekend – helping my son with his homework took up a lot of time and then playing video games means sitting on the couch.

But keep up those walks around the block, each one counts. And exercise really helps combat feelings of depression.

@susie-q and Martin46GB how are you this week? Hope things are going well for you both.

Intended to have a fast day yesterday but a colleague’s leaving lunch scuppered that but I made sure i didn’t have a big evening meal as I once would have done.

Today is a fast day and so far so good. Planning a second fast day for Friday or Saturday, not sure I can manage 2 fast days together.

Hi Stumpweasel,

Fine thanks. Yesterday I went for routine blood tests. The nurse checked my weight and it was lower than before, but not comparable with my own weighing at home. Although I started the diet three weeks ago I shall take the blood readings as my start level, and compare in about six months. Fast day today, and my first monthly weight check due on tuesday. Fingers crossed for a worthwhile result.

Ryan, try watching the TV standing up.

@martin46gb those weight fluctuations you mentioned in an earlier post I’m thinking would be responsible. Keep going and I have no doubt your weigh in on Tuesday will confirm you’re heading in the right direction.

Hope the blood test results confirm all the right results too. If they’re giving you 6 months until the next set, things must be good.

I think this week has confirmed that, for me, 3 fast days is the way forward. 2 just maintains because of my sedentary life. I really ought to fit some exercise in but after a long day in the office I usually want to flop down on the sofa.

Hi Guys!
    @martin46gb It is great you will have your blood test results to compare with the six months effect of this diet. I also admire only weighing yourself once a month. Much better than the disappointment of too much looking at the scale!

@stumpweasel how are you doing? I agree the two days in a row of fasting is too much. This is my third week on this diet and I split up my days and it was so much better. I also seemed to solve my headache problem by eating a bunch of celery, a couple sticks at a time dipped in mustard and salt., Not a bad ‘treat’ for a fast day,…;-( I also got a bunch of those long skinny European Cucumbers and munched on slices throughout the day. Dehydration headaches, gone . Have you two experienced those?

I’ll tell you the diet is good, but the diet PLUS some kind of movement (exercise can be a nasty word) is even betterfor getting our calories burning…. You know those huge bouncy ‘exercise’ balls? I heard that you burn calories just sitting on one of those. Your muscles are doing teeny movements that actually burn calories. I got one and I sit at my computer and even sit on it while watching TV. Plus walking or strolling as I like to do, around the parking lot or around the corner to but the paper/lunch does not have to be fast and ‘exercisy’….

Doing this diets fast days, while still needing to prepare food for the family is hard AND staying downstairs after dinner is hard too. Thats when everyone is going for a snack. I have had to go up to me and my husbands’ room early to read or take a shower to get out of the temptation zone!

Yay for 4 non fast days coming up, hope I don’t overcompensate.

Living alone does have some benefits! I don’t even have a dog now, so nobody to tempt me into eating – except myself.

Blood numbers are all within normal range, so that’s good, and my weight remains the No.1 problem.

Stumpweasel – what I meant about the weights not being comparable was that the scales at the surgery are in kg and mine are in stones/lbs and of course may be calibrated differently. Also the nurse wouldn’t let me take all my clothes off! Perhaps when I’ve lost the three stones… 🙂

Hello @martin46gb
    Of course, kilos to stone – I think my logic circuits don’t always work, well, logically! But I found that in my surgery they weigh you on scales on carpet and that is always a much kinder reading.

I have two cats – one is as partial to Malteasers as I am, so we do like to share a packet, though he can’t have many as they’re really not good for him. And I did succumb to temptation due to an offer in our local store…

Hello @susie-q
    Got interrupted earlier, so only had time to reply to Martin (youngest son to optician for a check up).

I did get dehydration headaches and a huge thirst at the beginning of this diet. It’s settled down now thankfully. I don’t like celery myself, but read somewhere that sour things help deal with hunger cravings so have a jar of pickled gherkins at home (assuming youngest hasn’t eaten them as he is partial) and these do the trick. Family suppers are hard so I get round that by eating what they are eating only I don’t have any potatoes, pasta or rice. Seems to be doing the trick.

I do like your idea of sitting on one of those exercise balls – might try it. I have a Dynair ball-cushion which you put on your seat and it’s supposed to work those tummy muscles, ought to give it another go.

Fast day today, so far so good. But we’re going to a 90th birthday party tomorrow and I’m going to have cake!!

Take care.

The end of my first month today and I’m down by 9lbs. First time I’ve been under 14st since I don’t know when. I’m surprised that something so simple can have such an effect. I had hoped to lose half a stone a month for six months, so I’m really pleased that I’m on track.

I hope you are all doing well too.

Susie you are right about movement, but I’m sure I’d fall off if I tried sitting on a ball! My neighbour is on holiday for a week, so I’m walking her dog. Perhaps I’ll continue after she returns, as she goes out to work several days a week. My suggestion to Ryan to stand up while watching TV was serious, as I understand that even that takes some energy. Stumpweasel, why not ask your boss for a high level desk, so you can stand up all day at work? 😉 🙂

Hooray for you Martin! That is such great news about you official weigh-in. Nothing like good news at the scale to keep you inspired to get through the harder times. The plan to continue walking your neighbor’s dog sounds like a perfect solution to getting a walk everyday. Fresh air, doing something nice for your neighbor and getting a walk for yourself win, win and win! Plus hanging out with a furry friend is always good!

I’m sticking by the ball sitting thing! Check out the ‘Giam’ website. They are a yoga company but they have these ball seats, complete with little wheels like an office chair. I love it, I haven’t toppled off yet and I doubt you would either!… Stumpweasel, i havent heard of the ‘ball cushion’…sounds interesting

I’m beginning my fist fast day of my 4th week…I only have about 8 lbs to lose. BUT they are stubborn mid-life, mother lbs!!! Every year since turning 40 has gotten harder and harder to stay at the weight i like to be. Prior to 35 yrs, I never dieted, always ate pretty well, and always exercised willingly. I’m hoping this intermittent fasting will be something I can continue for a long while, The dream is to have 5 days(6 on maintenance) where I can eat and drink without thinking about it! I love that! 2 days of toughing it out is hard but also gives me a bit of a thrill or ‘high’ when I finish. Have you guys felt that elated feeling the morning after a fast day?
    It remains to be seen if this is working for me in terms of weight loss. I’m going to keep at it.

TTFN fast people

Martin that’s really good news – hope you’re proud of yourself. And isn’t it great to be under the 14st mark?! I started at a smudge under 14st and am now under 13st, not by much but it’s a barrier I needed to get through. Look forward to hearing your next amount lost. Keep walking the dog if you can – cats aren’t the same, much as I love mine.

Not so sure about one of those high level desks – I hate standing up for long periods. I really need to get up and move around. Susie’s ball seat with wheels appeals to my inner child though!

My ball cushion is a Togu-Dynair-Ball-Cushion (got it on Amazon) – my boss had one so thought I’d try it. Must get it out again today, pending a visit to Giam website.

Susie, I agree that post fast-day feeling is definitely a good high. I wake up and fell properly hungry and it’s good.

Happy Friday.

question… What is your favourite post fast-day treat?

Mine is that first cup of coffee with sugar (just a little of course), I have one cup without sugar on a fast-day and try as I might I just can’t like it without.

So, Susie and Martin, what’s yours?

Thanks for your kind words girls 🙂

I don’t feel any different on post-fast-day mornings, nor do I indulge in a favourite treat. VERY boring. I’m quite pleased to be able to have my sandwich at lunchtime, and my usual glass of white wine aperitif from the fridge in the evening. I’m also enjoying a noticeable decrease in supermarket visits, so perhaps I’m saving money too.

My high desk suggestion was of course tongue-in-cheek, but I thought about it, and this morning started with a little furniture moving. I now have my pooter on top of a 3-drawer filing cabinet, with the screen at eye level. Keyboard height is just right, so I’m now standing up straight as I type! I’m sure it will improve my posture, and probably make me waste less time!

I also dug out two old iron scale weights – 7lbs & 14lbs – which I now have in the kitchen, just to remind me why I’m doing this.

Hello Martin and Stumpweasel(why stumpwease?, just curious, it’s intriguing…),

I hope you are both faring well this weekend and feeling good about the week ahead. I do not have a post fast treat either. I just enjoy not counting the calories and allow myself to eat a normal healthy diet including a little chocolate and some corn chips and some wine or whatever.

I had a fine couple of fast days but did not have any celery in the house so did not eat enough watery veggies on last fast day which was Thurs. so had a dull headache for entire day Friday. Ate well Fri but a little too much(3 glasses) red wine with celebratory dinner with friends. Sat ate a little too much at dinner then a couple drinks….I feel better in the morning, emotionally, when i eat/drink less, ‘duh’, right? I have such a little bit of weight to lose(5-8 lbs) but my tummy and butt/hips would be more comfortable in my jeans if they were a little smaller. I’m just feeling a bit blah and you guys are a captive audience, lucky you!! Here I am spouting my woes!

I think I’ve lost about 3 lbs in the month I’ve been doing this. I watched another Michael Mosley video that covered weight loss findings which showed how the body’s metabolism works with exercise and without. We double our calorie burn for 24 hours post hour long low impact exercise i.e. a long walk. Also, dairy products help us flush fats out, so a little cheese will actually make us retain less of the fat we consume. I’ve been keeping this in mind as I eat and make plans for the day, exercise everyday if i can, a walk or some time on the elliptical.

The goal for me is to learn enough and adopt the habits that work to stay comfortable in my body and mind. Then I can stop paying so much attention to what I eat, how much I eat and how much I exercise. I will just become the norm….

Thanks again you two, for giving me a place to mull over these issues. My poor husband and non-dieting friends at home can only hear so much about it!

Martin, how’s the new furniture set-up going? Are you moving /sitting differently? Is it feeling good?

I love the weights in the kitchen idea too. I like thinking of my 5 lb bag of flour as a visual for how much less is weight/mass is on my body.

TTFN fast friends.

Yes, I have been wondering why ‘Stumpweasel’? I’ve had several animal nicknames – Mouse, Toad, Porks – at different times.

I now stand up when at my computer, so I’m tending to spend less time at it, but in particular I can feel my neck & back muscles working, which they really do need, so it may be doing some good.

Went to a wedding party next door on saturday evening. I decided not to eat before going as there was a pig roast, however that didn’t happen until about 10.30. Too much wine on an empty stomach – so I had a hangover yesterday, which is unusual for me. Mind you I did a lot of dancing, so had plenty of exercise!

Some years ago I decided to go for big trousers, with a belt, rather than burst the fastenings on tight ones! Now I’m making new holes in my belts to make them smaller 🙂 Maybe my children can give me some smaller trousers for Christmas.

Fast day today.

Hello… Why Stumpweasel? Years ago when working in central London, I was one of 4 or 5 girls in the company: for some reason we’d all gravitate together around 2pm, (the chaps would disappear rather than listen to our conversations). One of our number used to greet us with a chirpy “Hello stumpweasel”. The name stuck in my head and seemed a good choice when I was looking for an online moniker. Oftentimes, if you come across a StumpWeasel on a website it’s me but there are a few others out there. My real name is Pippa, I have 2 boys, 2 cats and my chap.

Martin, your new desk arrangements sound like a very good thing – I ought to take a leaf out of your book but my inner sloth likes to slouch in my desk chair

Oh, it cut me off mid-flow! I do wander around when on the phone at home, a habit my boys picked up from me when small.

Hope you’re now rehydrated. The pig roast sounds delicious. And your having weights around to remind you of what you have lost seems to me a very good incentive to keep going.

Susie, I need to fit some exercise into my life, perhaps get the Wii Fit out again, but the last couple of weeks I’ve been working long days so pretty much get home, eat then to bed. It’s not a healthy lifestyle.

I read an article on how full fat yoghurt is better for you – both for the absorption of calcium and for flushing out of fats. As a cheese lover (esp smelly, French ones) your comments are very good news.

You’re weight loss sounds like it’s going well, and I’m sure the good eating habits will continue. I find I’m much more conscious of my food intake since starting 5:2.

Hope all our fast days continue to go well!

Hello Pippa & Susie, done my 2 for this week, and some walks – got soaked on Wednesday. It seems only three of us left on here, I wonder how Anni is doing.

I wonder Pippa where your chirpy friend got Stumpweasel from – very strange, unless it is a TV or book character. Rag, Tag & Bobtail in my day, plus Ratty & Mole of course. There was Muffin the Mule too, but I don’t think we’re allowed to say that nowadays 🙂

I picked up a wretched cough & cold (probably at the party) which is a nuisance now. I hope it subsides by Sunday as I’m doing a vintage car rally, for which I’ll need 100% concentration. At least the weather forecast is ‘mainly dry’.

Have a good weekend both of you.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply.