I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 3,046 total)

• Hey Kitty – ha, when days go pear-shaped…. You have a way with words.

Yep we’re struggling, and it’s our appetite. Melb it does take a while, but FDs do start to seem normal (if not exactly easy) after a few months.

I recommend trying 18:6 for appetite control if yesterday was any indication for me. I was pretty hungry for dinner, had a man-size portion of chicken jambalaya, but no snacks before or after. The scale was friendly this morning, even after rice, though my main goal is appetite control. Hoping it lasts!

Good luck fasters – let’s kick ass today. xx

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Jade – Sounds like you had a really successful day. That always feels so good. Hopefully this “way of eating” will be the key you’ve been looking for.

Camille – Do you know why it needs to be warm water?

Mel – Are you fasting today?

I find my most successful FDs are the days I don’t give myself any options about what to eat. Like today, I woke up knowing I will not be eating until dinner and that will be an egg with tablespoon of spicy cheese & bacon crumbles and yogurt for “dessert”. I will have to make dinner for my hubby but I can’t have any of it.

Kitty – I’m praying for you. I hope your FD flies by in a blur of success. Getting the treats out of the house should help.

Try to remember how much better healthy foods can make you feel. As much as I love me some pancakes, they have no nutritional value and once the carb rush wears off – talk about feeling drained. Tell your MIL to bring you a green smoothie next time. Your body will thank you.

Hold tight to the Lard Baton Fasters
    Jade, Kitty, Mel – Let’s kick some Kraken A$$

So right Michel, GEE you are good, are you a wizard too? The “no options” mantra works wonders. Planning ahead gets me psyched for the day. I just have to remember not to over-plan, e.g., my previous rant about attempting 10 new habits on the same day (no snack, no sugar, no breakfast, oh HELL just stop eating at all – FAIL).

Baby steps forward for me as I figure out my nonFDs, but definitely on the fast train today. Breakfast for dinner sounds delicious, I’ll join you! Lard baton tightly gripped here. xx

Thank you for all of your lovely messages of support for Sunday, they are much appreciated.I can’t run a full 13.1 miles, so will be walking some of it.

I notice on some of the other threads that they all donate their lost weight to making something, like a small elephant for example, which someone names. I wonder if it might help you all to focus on building something together and take the pressure off the personal goals.We could build a reindeer for Christmas, for example. What do you think?

Ah you guys….you always make me feel better. Again, thanks.
    I tried 18:6 today and although the day (and night) is not over yet, I feel oddly content. Large multi fruit smoothie at 3pm, beans on wholemeal toast 7pm. ~550 calls so calling this a win, and aiming not to eat again til 3pm tomorrow. Let’s see!
    Agree with you Michel about no options. Plan the night before and stick to it. All too many times I’ve FUFD when I’ve aimlessly meandered into the fridge with no idea of what to have. So I have everything, lol.
    Not long to go Annette, you should be ever so proud of yourself for your achievements so far. Running, walking, however you do it, we will all be cheering you on. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by building something…like every pound lost will go towards the ‘weight’ of a reindeer? What a sweet idea. I like it, a group target to aim for. Non competitive and motivating. Yeh I’m up for that!

Thanks Kitty. I will think of you all cheering me on when I flag.

I didn’t explain it very well kitty, but yes every lb lost could go towards the weight of perhaps a baby reindeer, the adult males look huge!I rather like the idea of a group goal as a focus.Perhaps those that want to take part can donate the lbs as they lose them and someone keeps a running total and gives monthly updates on how far the baby reindeer is growing?

I always plan the day before a FD what I am going to eat.My favourites are prawns and salad, or a piece of salmon sprinkled with chilli flakes and cooked in a foil parcel with either cooked peas or salad. Soup is a really useful when it is cool. Really simple/cheap/low calorie to make your own too and then freeze it in portions.Mind you I still miss dunking toast or crusty bread in it!

I love the baby reindeer idea! I remember a contest to name Santa’s baby reindeer but don’t know if they ever selected a winner.

I survived a ninja dash (thank you Melb for that phrase) into Walmart tonight. I knew it was risky but it was on the way home and I needed some misc supplies. It was a big one, with full supermarket, but I didn’t wander into the aisles – stuck to the edges and escaped with some lettuce and turkey. Wedge salads for dinner, for which I felt pretty starved but now 400 cals later am happy as a clam. Kitty, glad it worked for you today! It was hard to wait today, but then YES we’re oddly content (I was already odd, so content is a nice touch) at the end of the day.

Annette, if you even crawl over the finish line, you’ll feel the cyber cheers from this group. I know you’ll feel the power on Sunday. And walk-running can make you even faster due to the energy boost from taking a break.

No snacks or breakfast again, feeling like a Krakzilla Ninja. Put this day in the win column. xx

I blew my FD. I stopped to get some things for the party, not all of them made it home. :'( I thought it would be better to get them on a FD, you know; the whole “I’m not eating anything until dinner”. So much for my good intentions & strength of will.

I’m going to log it all into MFP and assess the damage.

Good job Kitty & Jade!

No beating yourself up Michell!!

That’s my new mantra. I think some of my self sabotage is linked to punishment (as in, ‘take that and get fat you mad cow’) so if I don’t go down the Self-flagellation aisle in the Sabotage Supermarket then I could come out okay (love the ninja dash idea!!).

I’m in a bit of a state trying to get term papers graded and uploaded before I leave on the weekend but I’m committed to one hour of fasting at a time today. At the moment I’m fasting until 11am and then I may commit to another hour or even 2 if I’m feeling brave. Baby steps for me.

All the best for the run annette, such a great effort and I’ll happily donate 55lbs to the newly-born Reindeer. Let’s hope she’s HUGE by Christmas.

Jade you seem to have been hit hard with the normal-stick recently – go you!! Hope you’re feeling better Kitty and well done everyone on keeping the various flames burning – we can kick this if we don’t give up (talking to myself here 😉 ) Spring xx

Oh Spring, I laughed out loud at the self-flagellation aisle of the Sabotage Supermarket (wow that is hard to type). HAHAHA me normal… I white-knuckled the wheel today driving past a Krispy Kreme. I think I almost hallucinated. I’m desperate to get a handle on my cravings and appetite, and to not constantly think about food.

Michel, try again tomorrow. Or make your goal TDEE as you plan the party. That’s a huge step for any of us. Darn that party-planning Krakzilla! One of my worst temptations is being surrounded by many potential samples of fun food.

OK, Club, let’s build some good habits, flip off Krakzilla, and start feeding that reindeer. 🙂

Well, I never sign up to forums, but having read through this I can relate to everyone & I can’t tell you how much better I feel. I have lived ‘in sin’ little binge lifestyle for so long, I can go all day without eating then shovel anything in my mouth saying ‘well I’ve not had my calories for the day’
    My downfall is crackers & butter (sometimes with cheese) Then of course there is wine… which I may add my consumption of that has reduced dramatically, of course after a few wines on a Saturday eve, I can ‘eat what I want & start again tomorrow – you need to live – right?’ Then the week cycle starts again,
    So am going to give this my final attempt at changing my food lifestyle & not some other fad diet.
    I am concerned about the fasting days when it comes to exercise, which I do 6 days a week. Is a protein shake included in your 500cals?

Hi Always, welcome to the forum! You sound just like us not that long ago. We are veteran bingers (obviously, who else joins a thread that says “hi we’re dysfunctional”) but we’re finding they happen far less often. They still happen, but more likely our FUs are just plain overeating. That’s actually progress, choosing consciously to eat instead of a mindless binge. Distinguishing hunger over appetite. Baby steps….

So 5:2 and exercise…. It’s a mind/body split until you get used to it. We are no longer afraid of hunger (right, Club??). If ignored, it often goes away, but it isn’t going to kill us in one day. At first you may feel weak, so take it easy, but eventually it’s like any other day. I jog on FDs without a problem, though I suggest you schedule exercise toward the end of the day, before dinner, so that you have a satisfying meal after. Just stay hydrated!

You can have anything you want on FDs, I’ve had a wine and pizza dinner, so protein shakes are fine if you can find one that doesn’t gobble the whole day’s calories. Or if that’s how you want to spend the 500 cals, that’s fine too but the day gets long! I honestly considered having a Krispy Kreme yesterday but for the thought I’d have only 100 cals left 🙁 not to mention a raging insulin spike a/k/a the Rise of Krakzilla. So experiment and see what suits you. This plan is so flexible, it’s just math (hat tip to Annette). I’m personally working on the psychology part so the math isn’t so hard!

Scroll through the threads here and across the board for useful tips. Everyone is encouraging and we all have a common goal, so as Kitty said a win for one is a win for all. You can always tell when I’m on a FD, I’m here several times passing the time and whining 🙂

Wow it’s Thursday already? A regular day for me, but NO BREAKFAST lest I awaken the morning beast. Thank heavens for coffee. How is everyone? xx jade

Comespring – you are so right about Sabotage Supermarket.

From now on I will be shopping with you all in Mindfulness Mall.

I ate a tub of olives for my FD tea last night (!) but before picking them up I spent 10 minutes or so dithering on the chocolate aisle and then decided nope, olives will do me perfectly well, thank you.

Jade – excellent work getting past the doughnut shop, I am now imagining us all on a computer game, full of James Bond-esque car chases and ninja shopping trips as godzilla and ginormous elephant sized krispy kremes run around after us. Although that may just be hallucination as I am now 36 hours into an olive only fast.

Wishing us all peaceful thoughts today and calm, considered eating!

m

I’m working late tonight so went to get some dinner from sainsburys to break my olive fast. Picked up a multipacket of chocolate brioches, bar of white chocolate, BLT, cheese sandwich, houmous, doritoes. So far, so normal. But then ladies and gentlemen, I looked up and what should I see but Comespring hovering over me and flashing a big sign saying “Warning, warning, self-flagellation aisle”.

I PUT IT ALL DOWN AND PICKED UP A BROCCOLI, EDAMAME BEAN AND BLACK BARLEY SALAD AND SOME NECTARINES.

Thanks, Comespring.

Hi Everyone,

As usual I have been lurking and although I do read the new posts every day, somehow logging on to my computer and joining in eludes me, although mentally I feel like I am still part of the group!

Anyhow. A dose of harsh realities… after many MONTHS now of FUFDs and over-eating, a lovely lady I know who does not speak much English and as a consequence is extremely direct (she’s really kind, and just says what is on her mind, so none of the things below were said at all bitchily)… so I asked her “Have I put on weight?” and she said “Yes, you put back on all your weight after all your hard work” … Me (in denial) “are you sure? what, ALL of it?” … her “yes” and then proceeded to point out that it was in my cheeks (like a hamster) stomach (apron) and bottom (enormous bovine creature). Well it’s probably the slap in the face I needed.

I’m back. Going to check in daily with you guys (does keyboard tapping count as exercise? I’ll consult MFP).

Going to man up and face the scales tomorrow. Wish me luck, comrades, it may be messy.

Mcca – holy hell, that sounds harsh!! Even though there is the language barrier, that still must have been damn hard to hear. But then, if you needed a kick up the derrière, then that would certainly do it. I’m like you, in that I hide when I feel I’m failing, which is the opposite of what we should do – we are so lucky to have this support network of like minded souls and each and every one of us can identify and understand where you are coming from. Good luck for the weigh in….hope it’s not as bad as you fear.
    Melb – by gum, you are certainly setting an example for us all…a huge WELL DONE for not caving in the supermarket! So many delicious goodies, but you chose the healthy options. My hero.
    Spring, you have coined a brilliant term with the Self flagellation supermarket! I know we can all relate to that, why oh why must we beat ourselves up so much? You’re working hard and trying out new techniques of fasting, and I hope they are working for you.
    Jade – you bodyswerved Krispy Kreme? I think we should have a parade in your honour. Amazing, well done, we are so proud!
    Michel – don’t worry about the FUFD, I bet you were still under TDEE. That’s still a win! Remember when we couldn’t even do that….you have come a long way and are doing brilliantly. Pool party!! Come on, not long to go!
    Annette – that salmon thing sounds lovely, I adore seafood and here in the Outer Hebrides we have it in abundance. Must increase my intake. Any more FD meal ideas?
    Alwaysdieting – hello and welcome to our happy gang. Jade answered your questions very well, but I’ll add a little if I may – remember on a fast day everything that goes in your gob counts. Protein shakes, drinks, little nibbles here and there….every calorie counts. My Fitness Pal is a very good app that most of us here use to log what we eat, I’m having a love/hate relationship with it at the moment though and am only using it on fast days. Time will tell if this is a bad idea! Anyway, feel free to join in and contribute to the madness. We will have your back on the bad days, and celebrate the good days.

And me, well I did end up eating cereal at 3am on my planned B2b FDs therefore mucking it all up, but I’ve decided just to carry on like it never happened and fast today anyway. No point doing my usual “oh well I’ve FU now”. Strength!

Wow, impressive Melb. It would be nice if those aisles had snakes or whips or something that reached out and slapped anyone walking by. That self-flagellating gets so tiresome (check with MFP on that too).

Ah mcca, you just took a longer swim than usual. We have all been diving in lately. But the Isle of Misfits is here, still trying. This plan works better than any, but darn it, nothing is “easy” about losing weight, especially for food-lovers like us. Enormous bovine creature, ha that cracked me up. Now be nice 🙂 and best of luck tomorrow. I’m sure someone here will be joining you.

Now to get MY enormous bovine parts moving and get some work done. Stay strong, Fast Club xx jade
    ps Kitty, we seem to write at the same time, just missed your post! 3 a.m. cereal doesn’t sound like a big deal, in fact sounds rather restrained (*cough* tin of caramel *cough*). B2B FDs holy hell indeed! Focus on the success, there was plenty of that, and next time kick that cereal kraken in the backside. Also, thanks for chiming in on the advice to Always – x

Mcca – just really quickly, I’m sorry to hear about what happened, but that happens with weight…. I just wanted to say you have done it before so you CAN do it again. All that effort wasn’t lost – you learnt a lot and as I said you can do it, please don’t feel too deflated. I am a bit naughty really, I selfishly post when I am struggling most… when it’s all going well I don’t think I have been on here enough.

Best of luck all. xx

Awww, Fast Club, thank you for your kind words and support! I was so touched to turn on my emails and find all of your encouragement!

Queen you are right – I HAVE done it before, I CAN and WILL do it again… I guess it is unrealistic to think this would all be plain sailing… it’s how you deal with the downs and all that business.

I’ll check in tomorrow and let you all know how naughty the scales tell me I have been! xx

Ah, I was doing so well…..until that blasted salted caramel cake threw itself at me. I tried, dear fasters, I tried to deflect it with the lard baton…but it was powerful and flew straight into my gob. Why oh why do well meaning people bring me such things? I mean, it’s a very kind gesture, but I have zero willpower when things are right under my nose.
    Hella good cake though 😀

And mcca – I feel your pain! I have been in a gain/loss cycle of the same 5lbs for a couple of months now and it’s driving me mental. As soon as I lose, I gain it again. Feels like I’m making no progress. But we are making progress, despite the FU days. And hopefully soon the numbers will keep going down steadily for us all. Keep at it, keep posting, and remember why you’re doing this in the first place.
    Ha, hark at me, the cake fiend, giving advice!!!!

Hello my lovelies!!! Well, I was Kraken-fodder yesterday (well, not entirely, it was okay until about 8:30pm but after that, as some wise woman on here said, best to draw a veil on proceedings…). Still, fasting has benefits for health even if it is not helping me in losing weight and I’ll take that thanks.

Welcome Always, great to have your company – exercising 6 days a week is a great achievement!
    Lovely to see you mcca – tough love indeed but maybe I’d snap out of my denial (its not just a river in Egypt apparently) and get going again if someone was equally frank with me? It will be great to have you back on board, or on the wagon, or the track or whatever metaphor we’re using at the moment… 😉

Hi Queen – keep posting no matter what happens – I get a bit spooked when everyone is too normal, makes me want to start a new thread called “But I’m a REAL binger…” 😉 I love to share in the triumphs as they are so hard won but for me there is still a massive battle going on and it helps enormously that others understand.

Way to go with the white knuckling past KK Jade (interesting initials there, Krispy Kreme or Kraken Kingdom?) and Melb I had to laugh that I inspired you to go for the healthy shopping basket – I could do with some of that myself!!! But then would that also be self-flagellaton or just encouraging myself? My problem has always been a ridiculous rebellious streak where my instinct is to do the opposite of what I’m told. Maybe I should tell myself to just get out there and chow down.

Kitty, I want to go out and get salted caramel cake, it sounds AMAZING! You should not feel bad about that lapse.

Good luck with the race annette!

Okay, now I’m using the forum to ramble rather than finish the last minute jobs and get packing. Hopefully I’ll have some reliable Wi-Fi when I’m away otherwise see you on the other side. Spring xx

Darn it I ran into the chocolate cake kraken tonight and I wish it had been the salted caramel kraken instead! That sounds too wonderful. Hella good, love it. And you should love it!! Right!? That’s normal!

I had to redefine normal for myself. So my nonFDs are “normal” if I just don’t snack between meals. That chocolate cake was part of dinner lol. Effing normal I tell you. Seriously it’s all I can manage right now. Before I can lose another ounce I have to control my appetite to the point it is not all I think about.

Misfit Islander over and out. xx.

Spring – I hear you my friend…..I’m so delighted for everyone when I read the posts about becoming normal, but at the same time it makes me obsess about why it’s not happening for me. Note to self – HALT does not work for me, because there is an extra category which trumps all – G for GREEDY. And even I stop and think about it before I cram that massive pice of cake in my gob, I still decide I want it because I’m greedy. Not lonely, not bored, not tired, not hungry….just want the darn cake. Honest, but true. Anyway, just wanted to wish you well on your travels. Safe trip, we are here for you on your return.

Jade – redefining normal is a very good idea…remember normal used to be 4x donuts in the car. Not snacking between meals is an achievement and you should be proud of that. Cake for dinner, ah I am the queen of that one. I’ll just have cake for dinner and not have any proper meals. Then I stay within TDEE, albeit unhealthily. I know that for the same amount of calories I could have a chicken curry or whatever, but for me it’s worth the calories.
    Controlling appetite…I wish I could. And I can have the most amazing FD or TDEE day with stunning willpower, then 3am rolls around and before I know it I’m up to my nose in cake again. Seriously, I think I should just have a nosebag fitted, like a horse. Get hubby to fill it with cake now and again, I can just lie here in my bed and nosh away. Growing steadily bigger until I have to be cut out of my house by the fire brigade wielding chainsaws.

(It’s 5am UK time and I’ve just hoovered up another two pieces of that gorgeous cake. Hence so much rambling about cake. God, I love cake. On a sugar high and happy. God help me when I hit the comedown….expect maudlin self deprecating posts about how much I hate my lardy self.)

Misfit islander #2 signing off. Blessings to you all xx

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!! I laughed long and loud, in fact I’m still chuckling – Kitty & Jade you are truly priceless!! Thanks too for the well wishes and for the image of a nosebag occasionally replenished with cake. Haha!!
    Dinner tonight is going to be fish & chips (Aussie style) and an episode of Poirot, my favourite Belgium Detective. I’m sure he could figure out what was going on in our heads were he to use his ‘leettle grey cells’ on our behalf 🙂

Queen of Misfit Island signing off (although I suspect that should be our Queen’s title – I’ll settle for Princess then).

Omg what is it about cake – I thought my thing was doughnuts. Well ok I guess that is fried cake. So kitty you and I are on the cake shift or effing Cake Island because here I am at 1 a.m. right beside you. Not only eating cake but feeding it to hubs. The cake must die. It is rather good though. xxx

Thanks for your welcomes, you all seem a lovely bunch of ‘nutters’ so I will fit in well. (no offense)
    Jade, I do have to chuckle at your doughnut addiction, luckily don’t have them this this side of Aus, in fact don’t have much here as I have moved to the arse end of nowhere!
    So today I did grit & balance, its my FIRST FD, so far just had a coffee & a shake, not that i’ll list my food everyday, but gawd, when you know you are back in the ‘im not going to FU zone’ all I do is think about food & being Friday..wine! My willpower will be NO power by 5pm this evening when I will be soooo hungry that anything will look good enough to eat, I probably have to go to bed early, which seems to be the best thing to do lately, once the kids are in bed I slope off too, my poor husband has the TV to himself so I don’t feel guilty!
    Kitty, Got to ask do you still find you loose weight even when eating cake on a NFD ?
    Ive been making the kids ‘healthy beetroot / Kidney Bean choc cake & Chic pea & choc chipmuffins’ but the problem is as the are ‘healthy’ I scoff them too! Only another 7 hours until 9pm ( when I probably disappear off to bed & dream of cheese), I will bloody do this, If I can get through the first day it becomes easier? Right?

Newsflash. I AM THE SAME WEIGHT!!!!! Ok so obviously I am both pleased (and annoyed at myself for being pleased and defining my self worth by the number on the scale, but counter balancing this with self awareness, ha ha!) and also pissed because I know what that lady said is true – I AM FATTER. So thinking about it I can only conclude that previously when I was this weight I was also exercising 3-4 times a week, that some of my muscle must have gone and been replaced by fat (as helpfully pointed out and itemized…)

And also I did check it 5 times…. the scales sometimes play mind games where they try to tease me with a really low score first time round and then I get on again immediately and it’s 6 lbs heavier…

Anyhow, after saying I was going to re-commit.. and then not re-committing.. I am now committing to re-committing…

Kitty – salted caramel anything is absolute nectar to me. I wouldn’t be able to resist that either. My problem is the big G too…

Spring & Queen – I totally get spooked when everyone is ‘normal’. I start panicking and thinking I am the only one left who has no control around food…

Always – a belated welcome! The first few weeks of fasting are HARD. Soup and protein my girl. Comfort to know it does get easier, the physical side of it anyway. Mentally I always want to eat more! 🙂

xx

Jade – I think you are underestimating just what an achievement not snacking is. That’s MASSIVE. Over time that will show up on the scales, and it’s the biggest step towards normal eating and choosing what goes in your mouth rather than vacuuming stuff up as I tend to do xx

Mcca, hello & as much as I hate to admit it, there have been many times ive actually be chuffed to bits to be the same weight! Do you try leaning more on your heels? I find that may make a difference with the number on the scales. I am actually dreading the next time I weigh myself as im am really trying this time (again)& if the scales are not much different I may just give up & decide that maybe I could just get used to life as a over 40’s, over weight alcoholic! Im afraid the whole muscle vs fat thing doesn’t cut it when you get on the scales & there is no drop in number, even if you do have more muscle & less fat & yes I am totally aware of difference between 1kg of fat & 1kg of muscle, but having spent many years trying to convince myself its not good, I want to be lighter not just fit.

Seriously tho, stick at it, be rest assured I am definitely not normal & food is in my every thought.

Did I just waffle a bit there? Yes, I think I did. sorry..

Good heavens she IS nutty – how lovely to get another true misfit -welcome to Fast Club, Always. You do indeed fit in. We are the king of waffling. and sometimes waffles also.

Ok yesterday was a FU so I want my not-normal card renewed please. I didn’t snack during the day but let’s face it cake at 1 a.m….I mean I am not on a cruise so there is no 1 a.m. meal to be had.

But listen y’all, we have to focus on progress. We all are making it. Go mcca SAME WEIGHT GIRL?! Yeah eff that muscle v fat business you did not gain weight and that has to feel great. You can’t seriously want to invent a new scale called “my rather blunt friend who isn’t trying to be mean.” Haha no. You want to lose more weight and that’s fine but you are no fatter if you don’t weigh more. Period.

Ah Kitty my Soulcake Sister. You tried B2B fasts and it didn’t work but think how much hunger you stared down during those 2 days. Maybe not all but a kraken-load for sure. Reminds me of those Olympic skaters who fall and you know that has to suck but how effing good did they have to be to make the Olympics? Anyone who attempts B2B imedals in the Misfit Isle Olympics. The medal is made of chocolate NO JUST KIDDING.

Good luck with the fast Always. Don’t beat yourself up just try your best to defeat hunger. You are learning new habits – anytime you feel hungry and don’t eat you’re gaining control. Even if you don’t make it all day, think about how many times you didn’t eat in reaction to feeling hungry or craving something. It does build up and make you stronger each time.

We don’t sail through fast days but they get a bit easier bc we know what to expect and we know hunger goes away if we ignore it. It’s the ignoring part that is hard 🙂 but knowledge is the key.

All righty then. In Misfit Island EDTime it is time for a jog. There is precious little cake left so I need to run the other way. xxxxx

Mcca – you are the same weight, that is wonderful!! At least you don’t have to lose a bunch to get back to your previous weight….So this is a good place to start again! Like Always, I would be delighted if I stood on the scale after a heifer chow down. I’m currently 4lbs up and annoyed as hell about it. So rejoice that YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT!!

Spring. – enjoy your fish and chips (Scots call that a fish supper) you have worked hard for it. Almost time to go isn’t it? Enjoy!!!

Always – I agree with Jade, you’re gonna fit in here just fine. And there have been weeks where I have lost weight despite having cake only days…but I wouldn’t recommend it because it’s too easy to just get carried away into sheer gluttony. It only works if you meticulously count calories, and I don’t know about you, but that does my head in. If I’m gonna eat cake, then I want it to be uninhibited chow freedom. Not to be restricted. But then that’s my problem…you and me both Jade dear….I have no off switch when it comes to the sugary delights.

And sista Jade – there is a time in the future when we will no longer crave cake and donuts and sugary deliciousness. We will be in control, and eat mindfully and healthily. I hope and pray it happens, but until it does, I got your back.

Now where is our Michel? Hugs to you, and Melb, and Queen.
    Today has been a FU day for sure, I have finished the cake but you know what? Not beating myself up. It was there, I wanted it, I had it. Salad for dinner methinks, and a non FUFD tomorrow!
    Anyone else braving a FD tomorrow? Or Sunday?

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Always – Big welcome to you!

Spring – Your words “But I’m a REAL binger” are ringing so true for me.

I started eating in the car in the way home from the store Wed night and have not stopped since. I’ve managed to eat all the sweets I bought for the party. Yes, I ate all of them! No off switch here. And defiantly in the “I don’t give a crap” zone. I thought about hiding out till I pulled out of this phase but that doesn’t help anyone. So, to all those lurking in the shadows I’m far from “normal” and you are not alone.

Keep the posts coming–I need all the help I can get!

Ah Michel, the sweetie kraken got you. You have always been there to pull me out of my self destructive spirals and now it’s my turn to help you – your pool party is round the corner, and you want to look good in your swimmies. You have come so far and done sooooo well…..remember your lowest ever Saturday weight not that long ago?All the sweeties are gone now and tomorrow is a new day.
    Wanna fast with me tomorrow? It’ll help undo some of the damage we have done over the last few days…..
    Sometimes the lard baton is no match for the Great Sugar Kraken.

Plus we have a baby reindeer to collectively build…..although if I don’t pull my head out of my bum soon I’ll be eating the bluddy reindeer instead of making it.

Do you know, I think this forum (and its only been 2 days) is far more inspiring than any blooming – PT / Challenge / Pills / Diets / etc than I have ever been involved with as you all seem honest about how bloody hard it is & how ashamed / annoyed we get after indulgence.
    So, WOOOOOO BLOODY WHOOOOO I managed a FD 420 cals according to mfp, while I may gloat & do a happy dance to myself, the FD isn’t so much the issue (although I did think about food constantly) its today that will kill me as I will be so pleased with yesterdays efforts, that I will want to ‘reward’ myself & binge later today. I did think about 2 days FD but I haven’t got that will power yet, it will be enough for me not to have a cheeky wine (well, it is Saturday)
    Do you feel more ’empowered’ having a few FD together? Theres no way I could try the 18 / 6 jade, htf did you manage that? I’d need to be locked in a padded cell to manage 6 days FD.
    So, happy weekend to you all, I’ve been to the gym so that gives me a pass for choc cake right? ha..
    PS, I am far too busy to count calories or macros, get fed up using my phone to input into MFP. Its hard enough to not revolve my day around food, let alone spend precious time putting it all into a app. That’s my excuse anyway..

Hello All,
    Crikey! It is tough keeping up with you guys.

Food for thought, I have been running 20 miles a week, eaten above my TDEE by an average of 200 calories a day and not fasted for 2 weeks. Result is that I am exactly the same weight.Losing weight isn’t magic or any great mystery, but you do have to change your habits if you want to be slimmer and consume less calories.

The hard truth is that if you want to lose weight every week, then eat up to your daily TDEE and have 2 FD of 500 calories.FACT.Do it for a week, just one and then see what the result is….go on I dare you!

Annette – best of luck tomorrow in the HM! Keep tossing us the pearls of wisdom, there is no denying the math.

I am still managing no breakfast but yesterday was a bit snacky. On a weekend trip now so the scales can’t find me. 🙂

Always, congrats on nailing the FD! I wouldn’t try 2 in a row, and I can promise everyone I have never done 6 HA. 18:6 is basically skipping breakfast. so an 18-hr fasting window from dinner to lunch the next day. I’m not too strict about it, the numbers don’t magically do anything, I.e. no one can eat like like wild boar for 6 hrs and lose weight. I’m trying to see if it will help control my appetite. It does help a lot to skip breakfast. I am with you on MFP, it was making me obsessive. The scales will let me know in a few days….

Michel you are in the party zone. Aim for control but have fun, 5:2 is a way of life but not your life. One week and you’re easily back on track.

Happy weekend all – coffee hour here on Misfit Island EDT mmmmm. xx

Happy Saturday!

Kitty – Thank you for your support.
    I hope your day has been successful especially if you are going for a FD.
    I’m not fasting today, but definitely going for TDEE or below. Feeling a little more in control today. Of course it helps that there are no sweets left in the house.

Always – Great job on your FD.
    You’re right about this site, tons of support & understanding here with just a touch of “hand slapping” to help you stay focused.

Annette – Pulling for you in your HM. So proud of you for getting out there.

Jade – Enjoy your weekend getaway!
    Thanks for your kind words. You are right, I need to “aim for control but have fun”.

Good luck to us all as we tackle our own challenges!

Hugs to my fasting buds!

Just wrote a huge post and lost it, grr.
    So hi everyone, hope you’re all well. Congrats on successful fasting to Always.
    Decided to fast tomorrow instead. In an M.E. Slump and need more nourishment than 500 calories can offer…..
    Enjoy the weekend.

Thank you everyone! I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow….getting scared now.

Jade, skipping breakfast is supposed to be the worst thing, do you do that most days? Do you not get hungry mid morning? (sorry for the questions)
    Only ‘rewarded’ myself with 2 glasses of wine & 6 biscuits, which I know is still not being very good, but usually I’d finish the bottle & the packet!
    Annette, you are exactly right, but easier said than done eh? is this your first HM? Enjoy, it is addictive

Annette, as it is closing in on midnight here you are up preparing (or very soon will be) for your race. Go you! Start slowly and don’t give a thought about who is ahead or behind you. Fast Club is so proud!

Always, we are told that breakfast is important when in fact it often is our downfall ie appetite trigger. I do without every day if possible. Make sure to have a bit of yogurt or something before bed if I feel empty. when you think.about it, our bodies have to digest food to give energy. To me that energy comes the next morning. In fact I feel sluggish if I have a big breakfast.

Hugs to my fast friends – good luck Annette!! xx

It was a brutal run. Very hot with wall to wall sunshine and no breeze-grim. I got round in 1 piece uninjured and wasn’t last! I was also 12 minutes faster than I thought I might be, so very pleased.

Many congrats Annette – a wonderful achievement. Now to reward yourself…….

I ate my own body weight in jelly beans and had a sports drink along the way. When we finished I drank the pint of milk, attempted a pain chocolat, but really couldn’t face anything else. I have managed the rest of the pain chocolat, a banana and some pringles. Hopefully I will feel better(splitting headache) after the roast dinner that will be followed by ice cream.

I earned 1,500 calories on that hard,hot and brutal run/walk. A tube of pringles is 1000 calories…where is the justice? Very sore abdominal muscles, fully expecting to wake up and find a 6 pack!

Fantastic Annette you’re amazing! Congrats on finishing and not last 🙂 :).
    Enjoy the rest of your recup period and maybe sneak in a nap.
    Michel good luck with the pool party! Hope it’s a blast with perfect weather. I bet it’ll be hot enough! xx

Congratulations annette!!! Hope you are not too sore in the morning and can enjoy basking in sense of achievement!

Always yes we are all told never skip breakfast blah blah blah but we are also told don’t eat fat, don’t eat carbs, don’t eat sugar, do eat fat, do eat carbs, eat six meals a day, don’t eat after 8pm, don’t mix carbs and protein, always have protein with a meal, don’t exercise on an empty stomach, do exercise on an empty stomach etc etc etc.

Horses for courses. It would be logically impossible to do everything we are told as so much of it is contradictory, and I can’t help noticing that all this advice doesn’t seem to be helping with the obesity crisis! You have to find what works for you. For me, I have found it easiest to skip breakfast and lunch on weekdays regardless of whether fasting or not. Far easier for me to eat nothing than to eat a small amount. Other people find they cannot function without breakfast. We are all different, part of this process is about us learning to listen to our bodies and find this stuff out.

well done Annette, Its a great feeling eh? Your 6 pack is there, just may be hiding?
    Take some arnica if you are sore today. 1000 cals in pack pringles, holy heck, yes where is the justice..

Melb, yes that is exactly it, your explanation is spot on and made me chuckle, but I would have thought by now I would know what works, tried enough bloody theories, which is why & am trying to adjust my eating habits with this 5;2 & not diet as such. Sick of eating brown rice chicken & broccoli! My mate just keeps telling me to ‘think thin’ that isn’t working either! If only eh.

Ill keep plodding on & do FD twice a week, hopefully see a change soon..

I just need to stop the weekend gluttony..

Hi Fast Club!

Well I like nothing more than to be predictable… after my surprise ‘same weight’ weigh in, I then congratulated myself with 2 days of non-MFP recorded eating. 1st day was kind of fine, we had a dinner party and I was pretty pleased with how I ate (kind of ‘normally’). 2nd day fell off the rails and day 3 was about a 700 cal FD so I was expecting to be the same or heavier… I am 0.8lbs DOWN!!! WHOO-HOO! Just got to rein in the impulse to have a ‘reward’ binge day today (yes Always – I completely know what that is!). Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! Really appreciate it.

Congratulations Annette! What an achievement! But how scary just how few cals that burns?!?!?!?

Always – leaning on your heels to make the scales lighter – believe me, I do every trick in the book to get a favorable weigh in too! 🙂

Jade – are you doing 5:2 AND also 18:6 or just 18:6? I agree re missing breakfast – for me it’s a trigger, but impossible for me the day after a fast, so I was wondering if you are doing both fasting + 18:6, how you are managing with missing breakfast the day after a fast day?

Kitty – 4lbs is achievable. You can drop that in about 2 weeks. I find once the gain is north of about 6 it starts to feel insurmountable (when it gets to 7, forget it!!!) 🙂 And re your cake, at least you ENJOYED it. I so often eat stuff and don’t enjoy it at all. I’m sure the Normal Eating book would applaud you enjoying the food rather than shoving it down and not tasting it.

Michel – I’ve so often been in that post-sugar-binge place… your blood sugar is so low and you are so full of self-loathing the only thing that makes sense is to self-medicate with more sugar…. Really it is OK, you’ve done it, it WILL happen again but you WILL be ok and pick yourself up and carry on. I’ve been doing this for nearly a year now and as a sugar-addicted binger I can tell you that 5:2 is the only thing I have ever stuck to for more than a month. I truly believe it helps. Don’t get me wrong, I can still go on a massive sugar-bender but they are less massive than they used to be, and no longer daily, which is a big help 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 951 through 1,000 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.