I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 3,046 total)

• Sorry to report, there is no cake left in the kitchen. 🙁 Apparently, I’m the only one who could not resist it all day. Wonderwoman fell face first in the icing and was trampled by the kraken. It was really good, thank God there was not more. I entered it in MFP and now I will be having a small salad for dinner. TDEE is very close.

Kitty – Sorry you have a migraine and missed the BBQ, but on the bright side-fewer calories for the day. Reach out if you wake up, we’re here.

Mel – I’m impressed, 1 meal a day. That’s almost B2B fasting. I’m thinking you’re Wonderwoman.
    Those carbs can be a killer. At least it didn’t turn into a free-for-all.
    You remind me of the time I ate soft shell crab. Felt like it was alive in my mouth. Never again.

Stay mindful………HALT

Michel, if you enjoyed it, then it was worth it. It was one piece, you entered it into MFP and you’re balancing it out by having a small salad. You have done amazingly well recently; and this was not a binge. Please don’t beat yourself up. You’re still Wonderwoman!

Wow, I had the same kind of day! How eerie. I had “snack” food (and a lot of it) at work, then bought “the” doughnut on the way home. Yep, thought about that beforehand, had been wanting it ALL DAY, and I ended up enjoying every last bite. Nothing for the dog-hair bin! Ha Melb, carb-gates, too right.

You know, I think some days my eating goals are too rigid for my soul. But TDEE provides a backup goal. Nonjudgmental to boot. That’s what I never had before. Well, not to mention you lovely people. All wonder women to me.

So I didn’t want healthy meals today (partly because tomorrow’s fast will be total, no food at all, due to med proc Thurs). I wanted some comfort food. Before 5:2, I’d have just Godzilla’d my way to midnight. But after my doughnut (dutifully logged in!), MFP said “300 left.” I could hear Annette whispering “it’s just maths.” HA. So HELL yes, eggs and toast. Which I actually love, because I can never eat breakfast in the a.m. lest I become Godzilla.

So that’s that. Soldier on fast clubbers. We certainly do belong together 🙂 Kitty hope your head feels better! hugs from the west, we have your back xxxxxx

Just browsing through the latest posts again…Michel, I noticed you bypassed the “health” breakfast of fruit and bagels. Those bagels can be huge! And then topped with gobs of sugar. Good dodge – and really, cake is far more worth the calories. Anyway, you spent a LOT of time thinking today, which is more beneficial than we can even understand. Don’t feel bad about the cake. Wild-card days just have to happen sometimes.

Good lord Mel, crunched spider legs!? I’ll have to try that image next time I’m thinking of doughnuts. Doughnuts filled with spiders, inside wicker baskets, on my roof. Definitely would meet TDEE then 🙂

Thanks for the war stories, I needed those today. I’ll be your go-to girl tomorrow, because I am ordered, ORDERED I tell you, not to eat a morsel until sometime late Thurs. xxx

Jade – At least you only bought 1 donut, could have been a lot worse. And, you managed to stay in TDEE! Very impressive!
    Stay strong tomorrow and good luck w/ the procedure.

I ended the day over TDEE. Not as bad as it would have been in the past, but still not totally in control. Feld by the Sugar Kraken!

Fasting tomorrow–Stay Strong Kraken Slayers!

Michel, I ended over, too. It was eggs and toast, and a bit more toast. But right, not nearly as bad as it would’ve been, completely giving up control and unhinging our jaws…. There is control in math, who knew?! At least a controlled lack of total control, so to speak 🙂 (I notice our resident wizard has her chocolate under wraps despite training for a 13+ mile race. Talk about control!)

Good night everyone — tomorrow is another chance to shine! xxx

I ate half a bar of that chocolate last night, in bed, watching a film. Was it worth the 567 calories/100g? No.In my defense I haven’t eaten any chocolate in ages and just really wanted some, but also in the past would have scoffed the lot. I did savor every piece and knew that I was going to eat half the bar only. I suppose that is progress.
    There is a chocolate birthday cake at the weekend for one boy along with a meal out etc and a 9 mile run, 2 miles today and then 7 more on Friday. There is no doubt in my mind that losing weight all comes down to what you put in your mouth, exercise has very little impact.
    Work is providing a posh lunch for short listed interviewees today and I have been invited….no idea what to expect.
    Onwards and downwards fast friends…

Greetings kraken destroyers!

I had to stop to get more coffee en route to work and I was in and out like a ninja, in spite of the smell of delicious freshly baked pastries. I am trying to tell myself that I also love the small of cut grass but don’t feel obliged to stuff myself with that every time I get a whiff of it!

Fasting today and feeling super uncomfortable – let’s just say that my digestive system is no longer used to large intakes of fatty carbs… am using the discomfort as motivation to stay firm in spite of what I can only describe as a carb hangover from yesterday!

Amazing what your body can get used to in such a short time.

Good luck to everyone today – we are happy and healthy people and our food choices do not define us!

Jade, I hope that everything goes ok for you tomorrow…at least it’ll be an easy fast today, knowing you have to do it! Loving the wicker basket on the roof filled with spider legs….what a horrid thought. All treats are consigned to this now!
    Michel – your advice to Jade is spot on. One doughnut, but 3 or 4 as in days gone by. Same as your cake, you both thought about it, decided you wanted it, and had it, conscious decisions, controlled. Not unhinging of jaw and sliding it all in.
    Good for you Annette, enjoying your choc. You have more than earned it!!! Makes me tired just reading about your exercise….
    Melb – hahaha ninja coffee sprint, brilliant. So many tempting odours designed to make you hungry! Thank goodness we don’t have supermarkets here, just a teeny wee shop. No marketing ploys there… Good plan using your discomfort to remind you that your body no longer likes eating crap! It reminds of that quote Jade found “what would your body say to you if it could?” This week mine would be quite happy I think.
    Are we all fasting today? How wonderful to have company to slay the krakens. Nearly 2pm and I’ve still not cracked and eaten, going to follow Melb’s idea of having one large meal later. Trusty omelette!
    What’s on everyone’s menu for today then? I need FD inspiration….omelettes and roasted veg will get tiring I’m sure. Good luck everyone! Lard baton swinging!

Kitty – my go to fast meal is a big bowl of courgetti (use a potato peeler to get thin strips of courgette that you use instead of pasta), heat in pan with a bit of garlic, whatever veg you have in fridge, and a spoon or two or red pesto. Then big greek salad on the side (no dressing).

And have I told you all about my love affair with sugar free jelly? I scoop the little pot into a small bowl and have it with some summer berries – practically a trifle!

I am STILL starving which normally doesnt happen on a fast day, but I think my blood sugars are still wired after yesterday. Trying to push on through and think of the spider wicker roof box.

Go go fasters!

Ooh Melb that sounds lovely! I bought a spiralizer to make veg spaghetti but after an incident where I was savagely sliced it got consigned to the back of the drawer, never to darken my kitchen again. Potato peeler I can do.
    I love jelly too, but sugar free stuff just makes me feel cheated. I’m quite sensitive to artificial sweeteners, find they can trigger migraines (odd I know) so I try to avoid sugar free stuff. Difficult when trying to cut back on sugar!
    I did however manage to quit my fizzy drink obsession….I now only have a lemonade/orange when I’m eating out, which is very rare! Once a month at most. I’ve found that’s really helped me, when I was drinking diet drinks it just made me want more sugar all the time. I’m sure there was a paper published recently linking diet drinks with obesity….or maybe I imagined it, that’s not unusual lol!
    Second black decaf of the day….patiently waiting for my dinner. Chocolate is consigned to spider wicker roof box where it shall remain.
    Kick ass!

Hey Kitty,

I had a loaded sweet potato yesterday. It was my favourite fast day meal so far:

Ingredients:

1 small sweet potato
    1/4 cup black beans
    1/4 cup corn
    20 grams shredded cheddar cheese
    3 tablespoons salsa
    2 tablespoons low fat sour cream

I can’t copy and paste the rest properly for some reason, so here’s the link: https://five2andme.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/what-i-ate-loaded-sweet-potato/#more-69

(I’ve been creepily stalking this thread from the shadows for a while now, and I love it! You’re a very supportive, friendly and funny group of people!)

Oh goodness, there is kraken carnage all over the world! I will grip the lard baton tightly when I visit Costco today. Must remember “free” samples still have calories! I actually can drink coffee today THANK GOD but no food.

I bypassed the coffee shop, though, not feeling like a ninja today but great work Melb running past those pastries! I shall now think of eating freshly-mown grass when I’m tempted, which is slightly more positive than imagining a rooftop wicker basket full of snakes. Good to have alternatives:)

Annette, even though exercise doesn’t have that much effect on weight loss, surely you upped your TDEE while training? None of that “nearly sedentary” business for you. Hope the work lunch wasn’t a minefield – those are tricky.

Kitty, nice work slaying the fizzy drink kraken! I still have them but have cut down a lot. I remember a study about how artificial sugar makes the body expect real sugar, so then the body, getting all pissy about being tricked, turns into Godzilla. I might have a few scientific details wrong. Sorry you were wounded by your spiralizer, and sorry also for laughing (I confess). We must truly be related, can’t tell you how often I’ve wounded myself with kitchen gadgets. Even ironed my elbow last week, ouch, don’t ask. It hurt less than using my hands as potholders.

Amy, welcome and thanks for the recipe – sounds yummy. Never thought of a loaded sweet potato, but love all the ingredients. Please stick around and join the madness.

Take care everyone, keep dodging those pesky kraken.
    xxx

Great ideas from everyone.
    I am eating more than my TDEE, which is fine for the next few weeks, but I am trying to be mindful, with mixed success. Posh lunch for me today was a slice of quiche and lots of smoked salmon. In a moment of weakness I had a slice of chocolate mousse-which wasn’t anywhere near as amazing as I thought it might be or worth the calories either. I am finding this more and more, so it becomes less difficult to refuse puddings as time passes.All from a woman that ate a pudding each and every day!
    I love the ninja coffee shop experience and the idea of thinking of food covered in something unpleasant. Good points-thanks everyone.

Amy – howdy lurker! What a lovely recipe, thanks for the inspiration. Had a peep at your blog too, good for you being brave enough to put yourself out there. Admirable.
    Welcome to our gang of hilarity, do stick around.
    Jade – how dare you laugh at my misfortune!!! 😀 Hehehehe you ironed your elbow?? Now we really must be related, that is my calibre of calamity! I nearly took the tip of my finger off last week when cutting some cheese, now my husband has banned me from all sharp objects! Three stitches and an aversion to cheese followed….
    Am munching on some grapes while I decide what to have for dinner.
    Keep kraken slaying my friends!

Holy Cow Clubbers, my day has not gone as planned. An unplanned staff lunch meeting (pizza!) resulted in a FUFD. Really, really good pizza. I tried to fast but it was just to much for me. I mean really, who can say no to pizza? MFP says I can have a salad for dinner, better than nothing.
    I will fast tomorrow instead, which means my Thur dinner w/ mom will be super light.

Congrats to all of you successful fasters

Never mind Michel, you are turning it into TDEE instead. Now how many times would we have just turned a FUFD into a mad screaming binge? But you’re having a salad.
    Tomorrow is a new day. And again, as long as you enjoyed it, it was worth it!
    Today has come in at 480 cals, very happy with that. Now to resist eating til tomorrow afternoon!
    Hope everyone is doing well, whether fasting or not. Check in guys…..

Whew! What a crazy busy day.

Mel – Loved your coffee ninja story. Good job on getting out of there sans pastries.

Does anybody know if courgette tastes like spaghetti squash?

Kitty – Your omelette sounds like a great choice. Happy your FD went as planned. I’m sure your body is thanking you for all your healthy choices.
    3 stitches? Not fun. Aversion to cheese, a bonus! I don’t cut myself very often in the kitchen, but get me near something hot….watch out! I can get a burn from across room.

Amy – Welcome to our happy crazy club! Drop in any time. We are open to all suggestions and love to hear how others are getting along.

Jade – Hoping your FD has been an easy one. Careful at Costco. It’s like walking thru a field of Kraken. Try not to hate the other shoppers, unless it helps you feel better. 🙂

Annette – Congrats on your lunch choices. Sorry the mousse was not you to you expectations. It will be a distant memory as you goo for a run.

Miss hearing from some of our lurkers, mcca? Queen? Comespring? Fizzy? Hope everyone is finding success on their journey.

Stay Strong & Fast On!

Just over 12 weeks until Christmas!

What could we achieve by then?

Looking forward to joining you all after the HM.Getting frightened now and struggling to run now that I am back at work and very tired. Didn’t run again today, sat down when I got in which was a big mistake.Must do better tomorrow….

Onwards and downwards fast friends.

I went thru Costco like an NFL running back. No eye contact with the sample ladies. No browsing in the pastries 🙂 With no food at all, I’m not really hungry. Surprising. Hubs kindly ate a sandwich – no cooking here.

Michel, the pizza thing can’t be helped. Social things come along where I don’t want to make an issue of fasting, I just want to blend in. I love having TDEE as a backup goal. Aiming for that is still SO much better in helping develop new habits. I really can’t remember the last time I ate until I was miserable. It used to be once a week if not more.

Kitty, not only did I chop off half my fingernail doing veggie prep, the next time I chopped into the finger itself. Those fingernails are there for a reason LOL, but I’m very handy with the Bactine and bandaids. On FDs I can get in a rush for my food 🙂

I miss our absent friends too – I hope they’ll join in. We can all help each other in this long journey, successes and failures are just part of the baby-step process. xxxx jade
    ps Hmm, I’m not my usual smart-ass wisecracking self. True fasting has put me in rather a Zen-like state. Frankly I’m ready to be mouthy again. Be patient, it’ll come.
    pps: Annette, no worries, the body sometimes just isn’t into our training schedule. Be good to yourself and rest. Your energy will return and you’ll be ready.

Woot! Pizza & stayed in TDEE!
    Of course to do that I had a tiny salad w/ nothing in it for dinner. But that’s ok, I’m no longer afraid of being hungry later. Look at me, making progress.
    Thanks to the support of my Kraken A$$ Kick’n Fast Club friends!

Annette – I agree w/ Jade. It takes a little time to adjust being back at work. Give yourself a couple of days.

Jade – Way to go! Sounds like you owned Costco.
    Good luck tomorrow.

Congrats to all you successful fasters and I hope the rest of you stayed in TDEE.

Fasting tomorrow–anyone else?

Whew, did I say I wasn’t hungry? I lied. One good purchase today was a giant sack of lemons, so I’m having green tea with lemon before bed.
    Salad for dinner, Michel – LOOK at you! How great to feel the success in a day with great pizza. Good luck with tomorrow’s FD.
    Oh it’s so nice to see our raw determination getting some traction, thanks to perseverance — and our resident wizard and math tutor :). I take back every mean thing I said about MFP. And math. (But I’m NOT logging in my lemon slice.)

Annette – best of luck with the half marathon, we’ll be rooting for you.
    Jade – well done you on storming through Costco with no stumbles. Sending you good thoughts for your procedure today.
    Michel – GO YOU!! Pizza and you came in under TDEE….now that is impressive. I am truly awestruck!
    I cracked guys….hubby left his chocolate unattended in the living room, and I hoovered it up. Calculated it as 460 calories, which I dutifully logged in MFP. But you know, I enjoyed every bite. Still got 1400 calories left for the day, I can deal with that.
    Lots of strength to those fasting today, and the rest of us – we can stick to TDEE!

MichellMB said, “I am no longer afraid of being hungry later.” And that is true of me too, but I hadn’t been aware of it until Michelle (Michel? Michell?) said it. What a huge change that is! Thanks for pointing it out.

Mary

So Kitty and Michel, well done both of you! You had the yummy thing and enjoyed it, didn’t go nuts, and had a normal TDEE day. FANTASTIC. Especially that you enjoyed it – guilt can fuel a binge and there was none of that. Whoa, look at you being NORMAL. Mel, how’d you do?

Nice catch, Mary, on Michel’s observation – I hadn’t thought about how much that meant either, not to be “afraid” of hunger. I mean, there’s a bunch of dead kraken lying at our feet girls! Guilt, fear, shame….bye-bye, you are not missed.

I’m off soon, very minor procedure so no worries. I dreamed all night I was eating some gloriously enjoyable tidbit, only to pop awake spitting out imaginary food. HA. Some good dreams though 🙂 will try to have those again.
    I gladly pass the lard baton to my buddies fasting today – remember you are strong and in control!
    xxxxx

Morning All!

Jade – Hope all goes well w/ you today.
    MFP may have said I stayed at TDEE, but the scale was not a happy camper this morning. I’m assuming it was all the salt in the Pizza Kraken. I’m a little impressed yesterday did not turn into an all out eat fest. Not that long ago it would have.
    Hopefully the day will be Kraken free for all of us

Kitty – Who leaves chocolate laying around unattended? Certainly no one that expects it to still be there when they come back. Good for you, logging it into MFP. At least we are becoming aware of the calories we “Hoover” up during the day.

Mary – I know what you mean. One of the big mistakes I was making w/ 5:2 was eating way to much the day before a FD. Being afraid to start the day hungry was driving a destructive/counterproductive behavior.

Gripping the Lard Baton w/ both hands and ready to fend off all Kraken!

Find your Motivation….we must all walk our own path!
    Michell

I polished off the other half of the chocolate bar last night and I have to say that I didn’t need to eat it all. I had reached the point of satiation but just kept going, so I must work on that too. Just been out for a short run which was hard to make myself do, but now I am enjoying the endorphin’s!

I am so impressed how well you are all doing, but more so when life throws a curved ball and the new choices that are being made. Well done!

I need to find a belt to keep these jeans up. Called slinky malinky by a work colleague who is convinced that I am fading away today. So all in all I am very pleased with the progress to date.

I’ve been starving all day. No real cravings, just hungry. So I had an organic/raw bar. Only 150 cal, but still a chunk out of my dinner allotment.

Annette – Way to go! Enjoy those endorphins. Half a chocolate bar is hardly a blip on the radar, especially when you need a new belt to keep your jeans up. Keep up the good work.

MFP is your friend…….Sugar is not!

Good evening lovely clubbers
    Well this is progress indeed, in days gone by if I had started the day with chocolate it would have unleashed mega kraken, but today I had some cereal at lunchtime, then spicy chicken and veg for dinner. And that’s it! Ok, so hubby asked me to make banana bread (which has just come out of the oven and smells incredible) and MFP says I can have a slice….. So I’m not quite done yet! But this is real progress, and I’m feeling more confident than I have in a long time. Thanks everyone, for helping me along this path. You’re truly inspiring.

Well done everyone! Kitty, chocolate happens to be best of us, keeping it under control is real progress. High five!!

I have eaten a few hundred over tdee for past two days so definitely won’t lose this week, feeling a bit bleh in general but it could have been worse! Planning a healthy day tomorrow of salads, veg and herbal tea, probably not a full fast, although I guess we will see how it goes.

Stay stronger fasters!!

Kitty – Great Job! Look at you go. Thoughtful choices and portion control.
    Enjoy your banana bread, then hide it in the wicker basket. Harder to get to in the middle of the night. 🙂
    Your health is more important than banana bread.

Mel – I know that bleh feeling. Hard to get geared up for a FD when you feel like that. If it’s not working for you this week start fresh on Mon. At least you are making healthy choices and keeping track. That’s progress in my book.

3 more hrs till I get my salad!

Ah the good news keeps coming! MFP has been most gracious lately, hasn’t she! Congrats everyone, I’m so delighted to read the progress stories and feel some of it myself. Not sure what would happen if I started the day with chocolate but Kitty, WOW, that’s progress for sure. I can feel the beams of pride across the ocean. Confidence is a magic weapon!

Michel, the scale is so one-dimensionally incompetent – and we know it, thanks to MFP. Something new is going on inside you, to have pizza mid-day and not lose control. I love it! From the first time Annette said “if I can do it, anyone can,” I started to believe it (because she’s a wizard), but now that I see it happening all around me, I really believe it. I never want to be normal-uninterested in food, but I’m looking forward to being normal-not-Godzilla.

Good luck with the rest of FD – and Mel I agree with Michel all the way. If you aren’t feeling it, aim for TDEE. Control is the first key to success and you are nailing that like a boss. When any of us think about “what would’ve happened before,” the progress is obvious, and it’s changing us I swear it is.

Congrats on a good run, Annette (slinky malinky haha), buy yourself a new belt girl! And enjoy those endorphins. They’re even better than chocolate, and I can’t believe I actually wrote that but I do love how I feel after a jog.

Btw, all went well today, no health problems detected. I’m lucky b/c I like to ignore this getting older business.

xxx jade

And Mel, keeping it in control this week will reap rewards down the line, both for FDs and holding the line at binges or gains. Progress and control are the name of the game. Accountability, too – we have shared our ups and downs here, and it has all helped me so much. xx

Thanks guys, it means a lot to know you guys are rooting for me.
    I had my one slice of banana bread (which was fat free BTW) and I’m happy now.
    Your salad is coming soon Michel, hold on! Have you done three FDs this week or have I imagined that? I’m good at that.
    Feeling ill and eating well do not go hand in hand for me either, I agree with the others, if you’re feeling gak then trying to fast is just too much pressure. Of course if you’re one of these people who can’t eat when ill then you’re lucky.
    Hope all our absent friends are doing well…we are sending you positivity!

I’m counting today, 600 cal.
    Would have made 500 but mom served fresh fruit salad, couldn’t say “no”. 🙂

Kitty – Alas, no. Yesterday’s FD turned into “pizza day”. Congrats on a really good job today.
    If you wake up in the night: Don’t eat the banana bread!

Jade – Thanks for the support.
    Happy to hear all went well today. I bet today’s meal was wonderful after your extra long fast.

TDEE, TDEE, TDEE

Hello fellow fasters,

I apologise for my absence. I had to laugh when I read a previous post (forgive me I can’t remember who said it) but they asked where I had gone and suggested maybe I had found classier ladies to chat to, not on your nelly! This is such a great thread and the reason I haven’t back to you id because I have been wanting to read each of the posts slowly, especially when someone has addressed me directly and I didn’t want to ignore anyone. The issue with my computer is scrolling up and finding who posted…. oh I am sure I could have used my brain and written it all down.

I did want to pop in “as it were”, especially as I was up early this am with an ill child and now they have gone back to sleep and I have some free time to chat to my fasting friends.

I have been doing much better, but I have to tell you sticking to having 2000 kcal per day has been an achievement in itself and that, for me, feels just as tough as a diet! I don’t know about you all, but I have thought I have to really tackle this and in doing so I’m being quite selfish. By that I mean is I am constantly aware of myself, and thinking about how my day is going to be planned, for example:

Around 3pm every day I can eat a house (godzilla arrives 😉 ) so I try and make sure I am either busy or have an afternoon nap if I am able to. This sometimes means taking my little one out for a random walk or a swim, I never feel like it but it gets me out of the kitchen. I also, if I know I am having to be in the house at 3pm- I actually plan a some goodies like 50-80g of dark chocolate (!) and a punnet of blueberries or I save my lunch until three. Actually, if can cope with it, if I don’t eat much until 3pm I am so hungry I fancy something healthy and savoury and I feel energised but that type of lunch.

I’m tackling any sleep loss- For example my LO was ill and woke me at 5am today and I haven’t been able to get back to sleep so I aware I am going to have to schedule in more sleep or else godzilla (oh I’m sorry to steal it but it seems such an appropriate term) arrives. If I can’t get an afternoon nap in (I know I won’t always have that luxury in the future but some days I can get a 20 min lie down and it makes the world of difference)

(BTW Although I am tackling the sleep loss I am going to bed hungry more often… I was scared of doing this but now I have accepted some nights I won’t have brilliant sleep. I try and leave my main meal until the end of the day.).

I have reduced my breakfast! This has had a huge affect on my appetite. Yes, I am more hungry by lunchtime (and that’s probably why, for a non bingeing non compulsive eater type it’s bad to not have breakfast, as they eat more than they usually would, but for me to feel that true sensation of hunger not just appetite is good!) and eat more than I usually would have at 13.00 (had I have had the enormous brekkie), but I am not in that binge “eat anything I can find mode” by 2pm. I am actually a lot hungrier by limiting breakfast, but I am not frightened by hunger, I can satiate that with a normal meal…. but the big breakfast and I am much more likely to binge as I feel so tired later and I just want bread… Saving my calories for later is really helpful-especially as I sleep better if I am not too hungry.

I am still eating what I fancy but my timing of meals seems important. Like someone else said, I wake in the morning and look forward to a great big fantastic coffee – I have frothed skinny milk with it, and it is a bit of a meal in itself. That is all I need.

I am finding I have to be really mindful and almost obsessed with planning my day and what I will eat. It’s making me realise that portions that we are meant to eat are actually quite small… for me, it feels like a diet just sticking to my daily calories.

I am also trying to tackle food first, I used to exercise madly but I actually am trying to sort out my diet and exercise is like the icing on the cake. Too much exercise can make me hungry, but the right amount surpasses the hunger.

With regards to fasting. I really think this has been so useful for people like us… certainly for me. I don’t quite achieve the 500kcal… but I can get by on a milky coffee for breakfast and a milky coffee for lunch then just a small dinner close to bed time. I think this is more of a sustainable way for me to do it.

So there’s me. I am sorry I am very self absorbed, I mean to get back to all your posts too.. Jade and Michel (and Anette, kitty, Amy, Mel, come spring and sorry I am rubbish with remembering names I apologise…) what a support group!

ps Amy that sweet potato recipe sounds lush and I am always looking for a fasting meal that will actually fill me up and that sounds perfect

pps I meant to also say, if I am exposed to any chocolate, protein bars, fruit bread, I will eat it all if it’s mid afternoon… so I just have started to accept that’s how I am … I don’t have a stop button so the best thing is to make sure I am not given the opportunity to be sitting with a packet of biscuits or cinnamon bagels at that time!

PPS I am just reading Mr Mosley’s twitter feeds and he posted a recipe for almond brownies, I know I couldn’t make a tray of something sweet and just have one (even if it is healthy!) I would have one and just want more…

This is also a bit random (sorry I have been drinking coffee since 5am….expect the crash in a few hours folks) but has anyone tried oatcakes for tea on a fasting day… they are portioned off in packets about six oatcakes in a pack and think they come in at around 45 kcal each. They are very filling though… I just wondered if they may be a great pre bedtime snack…

Try a glass of milk before bed.

Hey there happy bingers!
    Since no one responded to my hi there post, thought I’d join on here directly 🙂
    So I’m also an anonymous binger, cookies lover and weight loss aspirer … Today is day one!! Had a protein shake for 100cal so far…
    Hopefully that will compensate for the large pack of M&Ms that I had brought back for the airport (as a gift to my brother…) and that ended up ferociously half eaten in the street and cowardly abandonned in a bin last night… Happy days haha 🙂
    Hope everyone has a nice day, you really look like a fun and supporting bunch, lookin forward to getting to know you!
    (I’m a bit nervous about the fasting so any tip welcome…)
    Xxx

Welcome lolo! Ah, airport m and ms eaten on the way home. Yep. We should start a bingers bingo!

Nothing much to report today, off work and trying to stay out of the kitchen!

re. eating before bed, I have a mug of warm almond milk with turmeric paste in it. http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-recipes/how-to-make-turmeric-paste-or-golden-paste

It stops me being hungry but I actually started taking it for back pain which is now completely gone and after years of feeling I was going to snap like an elastic band if I sneezed. Anyway, I’m a bit evangelical about it – if anyone suffers joint pain etc then give it go!

Thanks for the tip, will definitely look it up!

So far its okay… Had a 100cal protein shake for breakfast and a few sashimis for lunch (since it was a business lunch I still had to eat a bit…). I just figured since its the first day, even 600 or 700 cal wouldn’t be the end of the world (low pressure)!

Had a diet coke and gum to try and keep the hunger at bay… But friday afternoons are looooong!

Crazy that turmeric works for joint pains! Is today one of youe fast days too?

Welcome lolo! I generally just check in here, but I’m sorry no one responded to your other post. Please join our lively bunch of misfits. Ha, binger bingo, Mel – the prize can be chocolate dog treats in a wicker basket. On the roof. Hmm, almond milk with turmeric, sounds weirdly good, and thanks for the link.

Queen, YAY for you! I find tackling TDEE hard work, much harder than fasting. But obviously the key to make this a permanent WOL. I love your contrast between hunger and appetite, and that by skipping breakfast, we may overeat a bit at lunch but Godzilla stays asleep. Unlike if the same calories are split between breakfast and lunch. Brilliant, I love cause-and-effect explanations so thank you. Science, psychology, and math – who knew all that would be useful.

Speaking of which, my scale is bonkers 🙂 After going thru HELL yesterday (ending up <tdee) and nothing Weds, I’m half pound up from last Sat. There it is, proof that daily weighing will lead to insanity. No worries, I’m armed with math and logic, I can’t be undone by the scale.

Good luck to everyone whether today is FD, TDEE, or just no binges. All lead to better habits and health. xxx jade

Morning All! Happy Friday!

Going for TDEE today, but afraid I may have unleashed Godzilla w/ a really good breakfast taco. These “free” meals are so hard to resist. To bad they are not “calorie free”.

Queen – I have missed hearing from you!
    I agree that this WOL is a diet for me. Until I can become a “normal” eater I have to watch every tidbit that comes near Godzilla. Staying in TDEE takes a lot of work for an overeater like me.
    I don’t see it as selfish, I see it as making me and my health a priority. Nothing wrong w/ that.
    Sounds like you have made some real progress. Really figuring out what works for you is key. And of courses not having access to food Godzilla can’t resist.
    I’ve never heard of “oatcakes”. Does anyone know if we can get them in the US?
    I know what you mean about “healthy” treats. I always want to Godzilla the whole pan. I have a recipe for Black Bean Brownies that we love and I usually we most of them.

Lolo – Welcome to our “isle of misfits”.
    Sorry I missed your – hi there post.
    Biggest tip: Keep hydrated! Drink, drink and drink some more.
    2nd tip: Share on this site. I have found it so helpful to share both the successes & the FUs.

Jade – Daily weighing can definitely lead to insanity. Stick to TDEE today and I bet you have a great weigh in for tomorrow.

Here’s to a Kraken free day!

Of course I must now experience oatcakes. I think this is a UK thing, Michel, but I found a simple recipe. She doesn’t list nutrition info, but the total ingredients = 500 cals. So one gigantic 500-cal oatcake (yeah!) or 10 @ 50 cal each, or whatever. They sound good, but I’ll try and report back. Oatcake Recipe from http://www.pennysrecipes.com
    Ingredients
    • 250g / 8oz oatmeal
    • 25g / 1oz butter, melted (about 2T)
    • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    • pinch of salt
    • 150ml hot water (about 2/3 cup)
    Cooking Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F.)
    2. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl
    3. Add the bicarbonate of soda and the salt
    4. Add the butter and hot water
    5. Stir well with a wooden spoon
    6. Finally use your hands to bring the soft paste together
    7. Sprinkle the work surface with oatmeal
    8. Roll out the dough – the thickness is up to you depending on whether you like thin or thick oat cakes
    9. Use a cutter to mark out the rounds
    10. Place on a baking tray
    11. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes
    12. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little
    13. Place on a wire rack to cool completely
    14. Keep in an air tight container to keep for a few days.

These are not bad! Savory, dense, and filling. I made just 1/3 recipe, ended up with four 2″ cakes @ 40cals/ea (using rolled oats). They were fairly thick as I just patted into shape by hand, b/c dough seemed too pasty to roll out. Very nice with coffee 🙂 I mean, it’s basically oatmeal you can hold in your hand, but a nice variation.

Jade – Oatcakes – Thanks for baking up a batch and giving a report for the cooking challenged among us. Sounds like they need a little something to give them flavor (&, unfortunately, calories). Do they taste buttery?

Lolo – How are you holding up?

Fast on or Stay mindful!

Michel, there are many recipes out there, some adding milk, sweetener, spices, flour. I picked the easy one. Could easily use less butter and add almond milk without too much cal damage. I liked them as is, though – not exactly buttery but rich texture. Funny that growing up I always liked pancakes without syrup. I was smarter as a kid 🙂

Out for lunch today, I managed to stick with salad, a bit of French bread, and wine. I feel great. Must be the wine.

Happy weekend all, hope your day went well. xx

I just got whooped by the Chocolate Kraken. Those little minis add up faster than I thought. Who knew they had soooo many calories?

Still in TDEE but my dinner keeps getting smaller & smaller :-\

Hope everyone is doing better than I am

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.