Hi Everyone! It's my first day today!

This topic contains 71 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  pinkallday 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 73 total)

• Hi Everyone!

Today will be my first fast day – after reading the book and other stuff on the forum it should fit nicely with what I am already doing 🙂

Since January I have changed the way I eat. I haven’t followed any plan – just done it on my own, my way. I eat a varied diet. I tend to eat lighter meals now – which I prefer. Nothing is off limits! It’s been about moderation. I found that very often that I didn’t really want the meals my husband or son had asked for, but because I was cooking it, I would eat the same meals too. I don’t do that now! I have found that I feel so much better! I got weighted on Wednesday and I have lost 2stones 1lb!

My weight loss has slowed down – 1lb in a month for the last 2 months – this hasn’t bothered me as I have maintained my weight! I believe taking it slow weight loss wise is best anyway!

I would like to lose 3 stone in total and then see how I feel once I get there!

The things that have helped me do it are –

I kept it all low key! Didn’t announce to the world I was ‘on a diet’! Didn’t want it to become an issue! Only people close to me knew I was trying to lose weight. (I didn’t even tell my mum at first, because she would have kept asking how I was doing!! Lol!)

In fact, I’m not on a diet!

I write a daily food diary.

I drink lots of water. I enjoy lemon with hot water.

I have replaced beef mince for turkey mince.

I have found that it is just making small changes every now and again has made a big difference. In fact those changes are now just normal! So 5:2 is my next change. When you look back at human history it makes great sense really!

So here goes! Good luck everyone 🙂

Well done on your weight loss so far. I have done much the same as you in just altering my everyday eating without dieting. I have lost half a stone in the last 2 months and really I shouldn’t lose anymore, but as hubby wants to lose half a stone using the fast diet, if he is maybe going to treat himself at weekends a bit, I thought we could do this together.
    We have cut out where possible anything white, bread, rice, pasta (except risotto rice) drink green tea, water, save alcohol for weekends and try and not get crisps out. We do have normal potatoes but where the recipe allows for taste we replace them with sweet potato, ( I don’t like them with all the meals we have).
    I’m hoping that even though our eating has been good at home the fasting will help at times like Christmas, where inevitably I need to lose 5 lbs or so by the end of it, only time will tell on that one.

Hi Henrietta

Well done to you both! I wish my husband would do something about his weight – it worries me – as it does him. He tries for a little while but soon goes back to his normal ways. There are such a lot of things he won’t eat that he maybe should. He’s quite stubborn. My son is an athlete and has his own dietary needs and is loving my changes too 🙂

I have just had porridge made with water and cinnamon for breakfast! It was yuk! Lol! I couldn’t get any strawberries yesterday – that will be a must for Monday! I love porridge but usually make it with skimmed milk and dried dates.

For my evening meal I’m having a couple of soft boiled eggs, grilled jumbo mushrooms and stacks of salad leaves. Really looking forward to it! Sounds yum!

I’ve stocked up on fruit teas – even giving the liquorice one a go!

Having my hair styled today – this will make me feel good – should also take my mind off a rumbling tummy! Lol

Thank you for replying to my post and making me feel welcome! 🙂

Well done! I had my first fast day yesterday, and it wasn’t nearly as hard as expected. Felt really good by the end of the day (albeit a bit hungry). Good luck!

tickatape, what a great post! I too believe in keeping it low key and slowly changing what you eat.

Today is my first day of 5:2, and I’ve decided on my eating days that I will naturally lower my calories (like using turkey instead of beef, like you mentioned), but without counting calories. The only calories I will count will be on my fast days. But I am transitioning to eating healthier. And I’m definitely keeping a food diary too. From past experience, I’ve found it really helps.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

We can all do this!

Great post tickatape I have kept it low key apart from on here i have not told my wife how much i have lost, or my mum, as i want to do it for me no one else, so good luck, and let us know how it goes I think its called walking the Walk not talking the walk cause i have done that too many times this time feels real, and you wont need luck it works !

Hi KatKat

Thank you and good luck to you too 🙂

I have had a good day! I still have an hour before tea but I’m fine! My tummy did do a big rumble 2 hours ago but I just got a drink and I’m fine 🙂

Hi gfsher Thank you!

Well I have had my tea! 🙂 and I feel fine! I must admit I was ready for it though, but not in a bad way – thankfully! I suppose it’s the novelty factor of it being the first fast – it’s sort of on your mind!

How has your first day been?

I bought the Hairy Bikers new cookery book today. They do real meals in there that even my husband will eat! Lol! What is funny, it didn’t even bother me looking through all the yummy looking recipes!

We definitely can do this!

Hi JGJenks

Well the first Fast went well! 🙂 My Tummy did a massive rumble at 5pm! So I just put the kettle on, had some fruit tea and got busy doing other stuff! Before I knew it was 7:30pm and time to do my tea! It didn’t even bother me that family had a take out tea tonight!

Knowing its only one day at a time does help!

How long have you been doing this for? And what results have you had?

Thank you for the support on my first day! And thank you for your positivity 🙂

First 24 hours completed and I feel great! Like people have said in other posts – I didn’t wake up hungry.

I so enjoyed my breakfast this morning though! I really didn’t enjoy my porridge made with water yesterday which was yuk! Back to skimmed milk today and also added blueberries – delicious!

Going to a BBQ this afternoon for a 40th Birthday – so I’ll be good before and after (during – I cannot promise! 😉 )

I thought of another tip that has helped me – I know how much I should ideally weigh so I know what I need to lose! Seems such a long way off! I set myself smaller bite size targets of half a stone at a time and I give myself a good old pat on the back when I reach them

My second Fast Day Today!

Only 1 line of my post has shown up! The rest has deleted! See last post 🙁

2nd fast day today 🙂 planned ahead and looking forward to my health tea. Porridge is so much better with some milk in it! And a few blueberries from my fruit allowance! Planning ahead is good for me I find – takes the hassle out of calorie counting!

2nd for us as well. I I didn’t have breakfast today, just had second green tea and not too bad. I’m at mums today and if I don’t eat she will moan ( haven’t told her as I am doing this for health rather than weight loss and she won’t understand) so I will have her homemade chicken/veg soup which I imagine will be the same calories if not less that my morning porridge. I’m making a vegetable curry tonight that has some potato in and and I’m going to add some king prawns for a bit of bite.
    I know people generally don’t like plain rice cakes but I’ve found some for 29 calls so if I need one, I will have one tonight.
    We will go for a walk tonight just to keep ourselves occupied and away from the fridge, more for hubbies benefit rather than mine.
    What are you having for dinner tickatape, I’m hoping to get about 8 recipes in a log and just use them on fast days so I don’t really have to think about what we are going to have.

Great that you managed your first day, tickatape! 2nd day today for me as well. Trying a different strategy today and will not eat anything until dinner at 6 pm. On my first day I had a late breakfast and dinner. So far it’s working better not eating at all during the day. Don’t feel so hungry as last time, but it’s only noon here, so we’ll see.

Hi Henrietta and KatKat

I just wrote lots and the above is all that posted!

For tea at about 7:30 tonight will comprise of lots of salad leaves, large grilled mushroom, soft boiled egg, tin of tuna (spring water) to make a large salad. Fruit – strawberries and melon for afters! Making a calorie list for myself with the type of foods in the right quantities for me to make it easier! It already seems quiet normal to fast! I drink lots during the day that helps! Sorry for being very brief!

Second fast day for me, too, and so far so good, although it is only 2:11pm here. I’m experimenting with waiting until between 5 and 6pm to eat (when I must prepare dinner for my children.) Your evening meal sounds delicious, tickatape.

Hope you enjoy your tea, tickatape! Sounds delicious. My 2nd day went suprisingly smooth. Better than the first!

Tea was lovely! Though I ended up swapping prawns for the tuna because I’d seen some in the supermarket and really fancied them! Less calories too! I finished off the Melon afterwards which was lovely and refreshing.

Think I’m going to have salad next fast day. I had veggie curry and as it was only 150 cal I added some prawns, only trouble is I was awake just after 5am today as I was starving, so think I will add more potato to the curry next time as there was only 50g in it, maybe another 50 will fill me up a bit more.
    Just had my breakfast, yoghurt, banana and oat bran, usually that does me until lunch time but I’m still starving, hopefully another drink will sort me out.

Hi Henrietta What vegetables did you put in your curry. I really bulk up on carrot, peas, peppers, courgettes, cauliflower – whatever I can find! Oh I must make a curry soon!

Today is weigh day and I have lost 1lb 🙂

Well done tickatape – it must be lovely to start to see the results! I think that must really add to the motivation.

Yesterday was my first fast day and I struggled – really need to think ahead and prepare stuff. When I finally had my tea (spanish tortilla and salad) it was so delicious that I appreciated every mouthful. Maybe that is what makes the difference- thinking much more about what you are eating and how it tastes!

Weirdly I didn’t feel hungry at all this morning – so went shopping first thing to stock up on fruit, the makings of soup and some fruit tea. Didn’t eat breakfast until 10am which is remarkable.

Trying to stay sensible today and have my 2nd fast tomorrow…won’t weigh myself until next Monday though.

Hi Ladies and well done for starting on the 5:2! I’ve been doing this since the last week in May and intend to finish on September 13 – my neices’s wedding! After that I will maintain my weight loss by doing a 6:1….I hope that works!

I just wanted to share a few tips with you, hope that’s ok? I’ve lost 11 lbs so far and am very happy with that, although I hope maybe another 1 or 2 before the wedding. I’ve also started a zumba fitness class and believe this has helped enormously. I hate gyms and exercise so was dumbfounded to realise I love zumba fitness!

Tips: 1 keep busy – most important; work, housework, reading, tv, cinema, walking, talking – anything to keep your mind focused off food. 2 drinking; the more water you put in, the fuller you will feel. 3 in a curry add lots of different vegetables and try to keep off the potatoes, the idea for the 1 day is to TRY and keep off the carbs – so onion, carrots, courgettes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus etc will all do the trick. 4 strawberries if you can get them really do seem to fill you up quickly but are low in calories. 5 home made soups are great, you can poach chicken in the water, add veg (not potato), coriander or other herbs – its filling and healthy. 6 rocket – I love the spicy leaves and they are low in calories, pile it up, add cherry toms, peppers, cucumber, beetroot, spring onion, radishes, smoked mackerel and some low calorie salad cream – yummy.

I find I deal with my FDs better if I don’t have breakfast or lunch (unless it’s strawberries) then eat about 6pm. I don’t feel any hungrier the next day at all so there is never the feeling that I have to make up for it!

There are so many things that you can eat on a FD, and keep in mind, it is just that day – and the best thing of all, if you can get your head around it – which I have now – is when I get a hunger pang I think “great, this is good, this is burning off the fat instead of storing it”!!!

Remember, don’t worry if you have a bad day, just choose another for a FD – we are human and shouldn’t try to be perfect.

Best of luck.

hi i want to start the fast diet but dont knw how to go bout it

Hi Shauna – I bought the book last week which explains it all and the types of foods that you should should be eating on your fast days. For women it’s based on 2 non consecutive fast days of 500 calories. I eat my breakfast at 7 – 7:30am of about 135 calories. I drink lots of water and fruit teas during the day to help fill me up. I then eat a tea of the remaing calories – I have a lot of salad and salad leaves also with prawns. I eat fruit also. Tomorrow is my 3rd fast day and I am just going to eat what I had on Monday as I really enjoyed it! Have a good look around the forum and you’ll find some great tips! Your non fast days have still got to be based on a realistic diet though! Good luck

Not fasting today as I planned – it’s GCSE results day – so we are going out for tea! My son gets his results today and I have just found out I passed mine in Maths! Happy me!

Fasting today. Just had my porridge and a liquorice tea. My evening meal will be prawns with salad leaves. I need to go shopping today so I will look for something to add to my evening meal.

I am a doctor in India. Unfortunately I have obsession with food and have become obese. I tried many a times to reduce but have regained each time. I think this time I got the right motivation. I have gone through the introduction of the book. And today I missed the first meal of my life

Hi Shiva Since January I have listened to the signs that my body has been shouting out to me – be it the extra weight, heartburn or feeling bloated! I now hardly suffer with the latter 2 and the weight has decreased slowly but positively. I don’t over do anything any more. I enjoy a mixture of foods and still have treats from time to time! 5:2 has slotted right into what I have been doing! Good luck. If you need support just let me know.

Thank you Tickatape for replying. I have already started feeling good. All of us were in the same boat and all are determined to do good to our body. I hope with time all the physical and biochemical parameters will improve

Shiva I am sure we can all do it 🙂

I did my fast yesterday rather than Monday because of the Bank Holiday. Weigh day today and I have lost another pound! Happy me! This week even includes an exam result celebration meal with cheesecake! And a bag of Cadburys Chocolate Buttons (my bank holiday treat!). We spent Sunday afternoon in a pub beer garden listening to live bands – I drank Lime & Soda 🙂

On my 5th fast day. I am not sure if I am odd but I really enjoy looking around the supermarket on my fast days for that nights meal! I don’t get tempted by other foods and treats! I don’t even mind cooking for my husband and son!

Wow! I have lost 3lbs this week! I have been counting calories using the app – so this may have made a big difference! The app is so easy it’s sort of taken the hard work out of it all! Counting calories had made me aware of the truth – sometimes we just don’t realise what food contains! I have now gone in to the lower stone weight! Happy me! 🙂

Well done tickatape. I do agree with your comments on calories, as I often underestimate these, so have invested in a little calorie counter book. I’m on my second week of the plan and so far so good. I find it quite inspiring reading everyone’s dieting experiences. I’m about 2 stone overweight and really just want to get rid of flab around the tum, so a few exercises would probably help. Any recommendations? – though nothing that involves lying on the floor, as had two knee replacements.

Hello everyone!
    My first day too. Any advices for a tea addict? I like it with soya milk and a bit of agave,
    I would love to have my usual cups of tea.
    Tried to find info on the net n how much calories with a cup of tea…. It shouldn’t destroy the diet, I reckon. I think it is around 35 calories, does anybody in the same situation?. 🙂
    Pinar

If you guys have an android/iphone you can get an app that scans supermarket barcodes for calorie info. You can also create your own recipes and it will give calorific content. it is called My Fitness Pal.

Well done on the Maths tickatape (I am maths tutor)

Hello Pinar, I’ve started drinking my tea without any milk on fast days, so zero calories as I don’t take sugar. I avoid coffee though as cannot drink it black or without sugar. I may try herbal teas for a change as there are loads of different ones, should imagine lemon would be very refreshing. Good luck with your fast plan.

anniew7 try green tea with lemon with a slice of lemon in, really refreshing. I had been drinking that for a while but now it has become essential on fast days.

Chilliexx Thank you! Maths has never been my best subject! I just wanted to give it a go to see if I could do it now! I got a C in Higher Linear Maths! I was just so glad I passed! Lol! Thankfully my son got an A in Higher Maths and a B in Further Maths! He helped me lots! 🙂

Getting back to the original subject! Lol! I really do think that most of us need to re-educate ourselves when it comes to calories and portion size! I started off just reading the warning signs my body was shouting out at me – heartburn, bloating etc I cut my portion size and didn’t eat culprit foods as much. Over time doing this I lost 2 stone (since January) just doing this! I then hit that level where I needed to change things again! So 5:2 is ideal for me and at the moment counting calories must be done! The app makes this so much easier! 🙂

Another good fast day yesterday! No hunger pangs at all! Kept busy because I had so much energy! And the mountain of ironing all got done and a quick clear out too! Result! Lol!

Not lost any weight this week but today was my measure day too – my first since I started 5:2 a month a go! I have lost over an inch around my tummy and waist – so I am happy! I haven’t lost anything anywhere else but it’s going from where it is needed! 😉

So a month in and I have lost 5lbs which makes me very happy!

Well done! That’s brilliant. Have you found it easy to settle into a routine?

Pinar… I drink my tea with soya milk anyway – fast day or not.

ChrissieinBritt Hi 🙂 yes I have found it easy really. You’ve got to stay positive and keep going! I think you do have to watch what you are eating on your non fast days as its easy too fool yourself! But on the other hand it’s nice to throw caution to the wind every now and again to keep things real! Yesterday I made an home made lasagne using turkey mince but I gave in to the temptation of fresh crusty bread which I had more than I should have had! Lol! Thankfully usually I’m good! So I am at the start of my 2nd month and a loss of a pound a week would be brilliant! Here goes! Going swimming tomorrow with a friend too so looking forward to that 🙂

Finding today difficult. I have a lot of stress at the moment and it’s causing me to wake up around 2am and not getting much sleep afterwards. I haven’t strayed off course with my fast today and I am determined not too! It’s 13:44 and my evening meal is at 19:00 so I am over half way! It’s not that I’m hungry, just low and fed up. The fact that I had a sneaky early in the week weigh in this morning is keeping me going and this cup of green tea! (The jury is still out on green tea! I don’t like it or indeed dislike it! Lol) I should try it with a slice of lemon next time as suggested above! Sorry for having a moan! It’s just one of those days!

Hi tickatape, I really enjoy reading your posts. I’m sorry you are so stressed at the moment. it’s hard when you can’t sleep. I applaud your determination to stick with it!

just a quick suggestion for those bad nights. I have a lot of pain that keeps me awake. most “pain” medications don’t do much to help. I have found that the herb valerian helps. it’s for pain and it helps with sleep. must warn you though, it smells like a cross between something died and dirty socks. LOL.

hope your stressful situation is soon alleviated. oh, and everyone is entitled to a little moan now and again. good luck.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply.