Help! I'm not losing weight!!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Help! I'm not losing weight!!!

This topic contains 35 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  surela 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

• I dont know what to do! I have been fasting for 6 weeks and have not seen any benefit. I eat less than 500 calories on a fasting day even though my tdee is 2500. I eat small things throughout the whole day and do strenuous training 4-6 times a week. I am 18, I started weighing 68kgs… and I still weigh 68kgs, sometimes more, my weight fluctuates up to 3 kgs within days. Ive tried so many diets and I am looking for something to help me lose no more than 10 kgs. I am 168cm tall and have a very busy lifestyle.

Please help! I dont know what to do..

Are you counting calories on your non-fast days?

I lose weight when I eat 500 calories below my TDEE on the non fast days. My TDEE is 2105 and I aim to eat 1600 calories for 5 days and 500 on the fast days.

No Amy, I dont, thats a lot of effort to do as well as the fasting… is that what everyone else is doing to lose weight? I may as well be dieting continuously.. 🙁

You don’t need to count calories all the time, just for a couple of days to figure out how much to eat to lose weight. You may be surprised at the number of calories you are consuming.

If you get hungry, substitute hot teas or coffee for eating.

Alternatively, try eating less on your non fast days without counting.

Hmm okay, ill try that, Thank you

Hope it works!

I would be choosey about which type of carbs, and how long before I ate more. Any more than that I would just be guessing. Where vegetables are low calorie carbs and starchy grains are high calorie carbs. We have to use up the carbs everyday or it turns into fat. Thus adding more which is normal. It’s when we eat more carbs than we use everyday for thirty years that is such higher risk of age related diseases.
    I know nothing about you or your circumstances, but if your able to do intermittent fasting, but also the seven compound lifts on non fasting days, or Jump rope, swimming laps. When you can’t lose weight from diet alone then it’s not a matter of losing wieght. It’s an understanding of how you personally lose fat.
    For me I can barely tolerate dieting. I have to exercise and have strong muscles inside under my layer of fat on the outside. I watched The Truth About Exerrcise video by Dr. Mosley and got a better understanding of the issues with exercise and visceral fat that surrounds our organs. This has reshaped my focus on what my health priority is.
    For me my priority is lower the amount of fat in my blood through exercise both low and high intensity. After I eat my most fatty meals. I basically go work up sweat within two hours to help raise body temperature that helps with metabolism. It’s really no more complicated than that. What I struggled with when I started were the emotions I would feel getting on the scales. So I stopped weigh in so often and now weighing at the beginning of every month. I know that the benefits of exercise is nearly as beneficial as calorie restriction. Though I have a pair of size 50 jeans my mother bought me ten years ago, and I still keep them , now I wear size 38 comfortably. It’s the daily change over the last ten years. To some folks might just be starting to prioritize their waist at 36 or lower the formula is the same. Eat smarter and exercise in a way that lowers fat in the bloodstream. The more important goal than waist size is longevity. With I.F., H.I.I.T, and N.E.A.T. I’m hoping they are the same formula. About the only thing I personally do differently is once a month I take a week to go as low fat as possible. As bodybuilders say when they cut. Veyquickly with that being said my understanding is that bodybuilding isn’t a longevity strategy.
    Sorry for such terrible writing skills, and posting after a 36 day. Good luck and best wishes.

Thank you, very helpful!
    Although, not sure how much more exercise I can fit in!

Necolei, I occasionally review calories and portion sizes of what I eat on non-fasting days to make sure I’m not overeating then, thus undoing all my hard work on fasting days. Another issue is that TDEE is only an average — it will actually be a little higher or lower for each person, so I use the calories from one level below what I like to think my activity qualifies me for. I have also done some recent reading on carbohydrate metabolism that leads me to think that, at least for some people, eating high-glycemic carbs may keep insulin levels elevated to the point where we can’t mobilize our fat stores for energy, even with the beneficial effects of intermittent fasting on insulin levels. So, if it turns out that your caloric intake on non-fasting days is well below TDEE and you’re still not losing weight, I would try limiting starches and sugars, adding more protein foods and leafy veg. Hope one of these ideas helps.

Another issue is that eating throughout the day keeps insulin levels up. Insulin tells glucose to get into the cells, and it tells fat to stay in the cells. It’s when your insulin level drops that the fat can get out of the fat cells and get to the muscle cells to get burned for fuel. So unless you have a special reason for eating throughout the day, you may want to try structuring your meals differently for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Thankyou franfit! Ill definitely try eating in set meal times, probably 2 meals on fasting days.

Hi and welcome:

If you have been doing 5:2 for six weeks without any weight loss, given your exercise, one of two things is happening.

One, you are eating too many calories on your non-diet days. Here is how TDEE works: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Second, your exercise is masking your fat weight loss: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

I would guess you are eating too much – your TDEE is higher than mine, and I weigh a whole lot more than you. I would guess your TDEE is somewhat less than 2500.

Good Luck!

Hi Nicole I notice that you are 18–well I am not so sure this is a healthy lifestyle for a growing young woman, as one who has been there and done that–the diet and exercise and obsessing in my youth I beg you to take a deep breath. You are doing the 2 day fasts, you are exercising.
    I would suggest to look at any excess of alcohol and fast foods that may be putting you off track but I believe that counting other healthier calories on non fast days is not a good way to go for a young person.
    Your youth is so precious–a time to get out there and enjoy life, do the best you can within reason re your weight, buy clothes that flatter your shape and throw away the scales. Your weight is not what defines you honey.

I was thinking about the advice I gave earlier and would tend to agree with double happy.

Take a look at what you are eating on the non fast days and just cut down or eliminate what would be considered junk or highly processed food. Cut down on the alcohol consumption. Try to eat at home rather than out as restaurant food is packed with calories.

I think it’s fine to tackle a weight issue at any age! Most women have achieved most or all of their height by age 18. Muslim kids start fasting during the month of Ramadan at age 12. I see no reason why an 18 year old woman shouldn’t use this healthy way of eating to achieve a healthy weight, and no reason to make assumptions about obsessing or junk food or alcohol. Just my 2 cents.

Nicole doesn’t have an actual weight issue,she is within the healthy range for her height. i’m saying enjoying life, having fun– are more important than a couple of KGs, nor am I saying that you aren’t doing that Nicole. and I made no assumptions about obsessing.
    how are your measurements Nicole ? that may be a better way to judge your body shape since you are doing exercise.
    I agree franfit using a healthy way of eating is the way to go to achieve a healthy weight, the key is what is THE ideal weight for any individual ??? and what is a good life balance for us all. Back in the 60’s I was 8 stone (50kgs) thin as a pin wow we looked great in our minis, now I look aback at a scrawny me (164 cms). we considered ourselves to be the ideal weight.

Hi Simcoelov,

thanks for your help.
    Yes, i very well may be eating too many calories on non-fasting days. Im going to try and count calories at all times from now on.

My tdee is so high because I train as an elite gymnast, I train 5 or 6 days a week for around 4 hours at high intensity.

Thanks

Icouldnt agree more about youth and experiencing good times and great foods. Food is such a blessing.

if I were 30 years younger I would be swimming and jumping rope. To lose weight. Compound lifts to maintain strength. I didnt know about fasting when I was 18 but I got very skinny I was only 127lbs at age 20 when my weight started to yoyo. I would gain 25 more lbs than my start wieght after a years time. Exercise has become difficult even if im in the mood to do it. Bottom line. If you enjoy fasting? do it. If it feels like torture then dont do that. I also wouldn’t pass up dates or going out with family friends or coworkers because of a fast day. I still dont. After all with so much going on its vital to have good foods and goods laughs across the tables.

best wishes

Thanks guys! I know im not technically overweight but i would like to lose a few kilos for my sport.

I will definitely try and cut back on alcohol too, as well as fast food, thanks!

as a gymnast you likely have a high percentage of muscle tissue and very low body fat. Your bmi is 24.1 which is well within the healthy range and given that muscle tissue is more dense, bmi can be misleading for highly muscular people. That means you probably have the body size of someone with a lower bmi. At your age your body has not finished maturing and your sport puts a great deal of demands on it physiologically, demands which require energy that will be in short supply if you restrict calories too much.

I would suggest you focus on eating healthy foods more so than on losing weight. Honestly, trying to decrease your bmi below 24, while maintaining a highly muscular build and doing elite training, is probably not good for your health. If you want to do better as a gymnast, put that effort into pushing yourself to be the best at what you do – not into making yourself weigh less.

Yes it was helpful understaning you’re circumstance. 5:2 is better explained after watching the video it takes 1 hour. Basically a gymnast is a super athlete and best to get advice from those close to you’re sport that know exactly what the demands are. Were so different. Where I’m nealy sedentary, I use jumprope to save time, but get what were both after. 😉

Thanks guys!

Weight Loss is not something you can achieve quickly.
    You have to follow a balanced diet and moderate exercise at first. You will surely see the results in the long run. Just try to be as active as you can however don’t overdo it either.

Automate your eating by planning your meals ahead of time. That way you’re less likely to make an unhealthy last-minute food choice. 🙂

Always try healthy, filling snack, such as an apple and some other fruits. Smart snacking will assist you to lose weight.Whole grains and fruits and veggies give nutrients that recover your health and decrease disease-risk and help you lose weight. They’re of course small in calories, so you can eat healthier foods. The fiber in whole-grain avoid overeating results, lose weight.

I’m not losing weight either! 15 weeks staying faithful to this diet and very very disappointed and quite upset and fed up now. Why does it work for everyone else and not me? I’m not eating THAT much on non fast days!! I don’t want to start dissing the diet as it clearly works,for other people, but it’s sold on the fact that you DON’T need to count calories on non fast days, it actively encourages you not to, and I think it should mention the TDEE thing as part of the picture much more definitely than it does from the outset, as something to keep in mind. I don’t want to give up but right now I just feel a bit cheated to be honest.I also feel that if I’m to lose any real weight, more than the pathetic 2 or 3 pounds I’ve lost so far, then basically I’m going to have to feel like I’m ‘on a diet’ every day.I’ve just wasted nearly four months doing this.

So just to clarify – if the diet hasn’t worked for you in the normal form, and you have to count calories on non fast days and/or take more exercise, that’s just like any old diet really isn’t it.

Friend
    I writing to you to say congratulations .
    you wer re abke to follow the 500 cals.

regardless of the scale you did do it.
    not everyone can. I apologize for not knowing more about you . Ive been self absorbed latley. After I lost 10 lbs on 5:2. I switched to 4:3. I could of went onthe other diets ive been on in the past. But I hung in there fir 8 months only losing 32 lbs after go back to habits for 4 months I weighed myself and was still 27 lbs off. Thats why im sold on this lifestyle. This is first time I didnt rebound by gain more than my start weight. Yes exercise is the biggest factor in most weightloss programs . Sorry friend but if you do a side by side comparison of all the diets in tge history of diets. Exersise is typically the biggrst factor in getting it off and keeping it off. My heart was broken when I needed there to be a diet for me when I was sedentary and in hospital bed. What was the magic for me was eating enough on non fasting days tgat I wasnt hungry alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. Infact I choose certain foods that I never felt starved at all. Hungry yes but not statved.

So when I restarted IF. Not just 5:2 but if. I included exercise especislly walking since im out of the bed.

this year I even went to the extreme of not shopping at thethe0the0the grocery store. Rather having it delivered. When I go out to eat the only thing eat is fish. Not because I like it. But because it doesnt thwart my efforts. Also. 5:2 works best on those who havent been doing anything at all. Just lije you never see a promotion from the big diet media about a woman that had just 10 mire lbs. The first 10 is mucheasier than the last 10

im convinced youll get to goal. If your detetmined. Im guessing. But diet and exercise will be your key

this is week 72 for me ive lost 42 lbs. Thats ledd than a pound a week if uou see what I mean. I want long term results and im determined to gett them. My hoal is to lose 100 lbs over 4 years. Please stay in touch.

Stupid cell phobe auti correct cursors!

Angie that was what I was thinking! Can anyone who has been successful weigh in? If you have to really watch your calories AND fast that sounds worse than a regular diet with so many restrictions.

You don’t need to count calories on the non fast days if you are tuned into your body and are able to use it signals and eat only when you are hungry and to stop when satisfied. This is not eating what you want from an emotional stand point.

When there is a problem, counting calories is a way to trouble shoot to see if you are in tune with your body’s hunger signals. If you are eating too many calories, you will need to cut back a bit. After trouble shooting and determining that calories consumed are too high, you don’t need to count, just be aware that you may not be in tune with the body’s hunger signals after all.

I am currently working on conquering emotional eating, so I have to count calories.

KateOnADiet,

I have lost 40 pounds on 40 weeks of 5:2 plus gradually increasing my walking to an average of at least 10,000 steps per day.

I don’t count calories on non-fasting days, but am mindful of what my TDEE is and how much I’m eating, don’t eat if I’m not actually hungry, if I get hungry late in the afternoon just wait until dinner, weigh out portions of foods that I know will give me trouble if I eat too much of them/that I tend to experience “portion creep” with.

The problem seems to be the definition of ‘normal’ eating. It’s not eating the way that got us overweight and kept us overweight. The way almost everyone around us, everyone we see, is eating. The way you would think you should eat based on the kinds of portions you get served in restaurants nowadays. It’s eating the amount that would keep us at the weight we would like to be. Many of us have to put some active effort into learning how to do that. One problem is that just getting older decreases the amount of calories we need every day. So even if we’re eating what we ate at 20, at 60 that’s going to pile on the pounds over time.

Although it is not necessary to count calories every non-fasting day, it can be a real eye-opener to keep a food diary for a week and then look everything up and analyze it.

Although I can still, and do, eat whatever I want, I eat less of some of those things than I used to.

I agree with franfit.
    For me. My initial success with 5:2 lead me to start eating healthier on non fast days.
    Over the years I had acquired a lot many diet and exercise information.

Basically there wasn’t very much for me to eat on fast days. So I logically applied the health foods to non fast days and became very happy when the scales started to tip lower. A few pounds a month. I went to my 25 year reunion , as the fattest guy there. I’d like to say it didn’t bother me , however I felt compelled to go to the 30 transformed. Then an accident occurred , a set back . I was determined to find a doable diet.
    I swear to god I still ate the buffet on sundays. Not recommending it. But instead of going for starches. I started going for the vegetables. That was 1 day a week. And for the rest of the day was soup of the 100 cal variety . The it was back to 500 calories 3 days a week. I was mostly sedentary so I was making the effort to stay in a healthy amount of calories on non fast days. It just came offf, and to my surprise stayed off.
    To put it another way. It became odd to fast one day , and eat junk the next. I started to eat better foods, mostly vegetables and cut back on animal fats, and starches. I lost 32 lbs over 8 months. After 1 year I still had kept 27 pounds. I didn’t realize it at first , but I picked up a lifestyle of better eating habits that I hope will stay with me for the rest of my life’s journey . Slow to loose the weight? It took much much longer to gain it! I’m still losing weight in my second year, but with slot more walking. Don’t get me wrong. I still eat junk foods, but I learned to keep the healthy stuff in the freezer so that the junk isn’t the lifestyle. Actually this year. I have my foods delivered, the junk comes from my spouse. I had to accept that I’m in control of what is on my fork. It can make me or break me. You know what. Turns out I really like, brazil nut, spinach,eggs,peppers,onions,pumpkin, turnips,carrots,broccoli, sweet potatoes,okra ,and fish, red grapes, blue berries, oranges, lemon and cherries. I also like dandelion and green tea. I reach for stevia to sweeten naturally.
    It became very easy and simply to eat a litlle fish and red kidney beans on 3 fast days mon, wedn,and Fridays. I only had to eat healthy on the days following and then go to buffet on sundays. I gave up drinks that have calories , eat probiotic foods regularly. I can hardly believe it worked!
    Good luck.

Hi angie1, I’d be interested to know if you’ve continued 5-2. I’ve been doing the 5-2 eating plan for 6 weeks and can see no difference in my body. It is disappointing that the book doesn’t explain how that can happen to some people.

Hi knitomat and welcome:

You don’t give much information, but if you mean you have been doing 5:2 for six weeks and have not lost any weight, I would have to say you are eating too many calories.

I would suggest calorie counting for one diet day and two non diet days to see how your calorie intake compares with your TDEE.

Good Luck!

I am new to this WOE and must admit I am shocked at how many extra calories I eat just picking at food. Half of the kids’ left over biscuit, the rest of their sandwich they didn’t finish. It all adds up. My Fitness Pal has been a great tool to calculate it. Now to control my willpower.

Hi knitomat:

I note you posted on another thread that you are doing 24 hour ‘fasts’, not 5:2.

If you are doing 24 hour ‘fasts’, then you have to count calories daily.

That is because you can easily eat your TDEE before your ‘fast’ starts, and after it ends the next day. It also sounded like you were eating during your ‘fast’. That means you are not really restricting calories unless you consciously do so by making sure you eat less than your TDEE each day.

If you have not been counting calories, it probably explains why you are not losing weight.

Good Luck!

Hi Nicolel,

I know you are very existed to lose your weight. I have calculated your BMI and came to know you are over weighing 56th percentile comparing to others(18 yrs). You have already tried out some tips and still haven’t seen any progress, as of my view all the tips you got is really good, but this is the right time to consultant a physician or dietitian and follow their suggestions seriously that will really helpful to you in future as well.

Good luck!!!!!

I have been doing diet strictly for 11 days now and increased exercise and i,m vertually the same. I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories on non fast days. So disappointed. I,m 53 next week and have never not been able to loose weight. Wondering if its the menopause hormones!!

Mummak
    When I started journaling everything intake . I too discovered I was picking at the left overs. Over time gave that up because it was hard to count and estimate the calories. I’m happy with eating meals only now, and not snacking on graze foods.

Hey Nicolel,

This article may help you why you are not loosing your weight
    http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/the-reasons-why-you-are-not-losing-weight/

Also I have a surprise for you, so that you can make your dream come true. I think you may know the result within 1 week
    http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/the-gm-diet-is-it-for-you/

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply.