HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 7,330 total)

• @audrey, Chubbychops is right. It’s somewhere on the site. Our bodies digesting food creates energy which equals heat. So put on your socks, a sweater and keep the kettle going on fast days. I have found the same, I was freezing last week.

@chubby, yes lots of us skip breakfast. Your body sees a new day as just that! So you don’t wake up feeling starving as lots of us thought we like. I guess our bodies are making automatic shifts into healthier eating habits. That’s what I love best about this WOL!

Welcome new chatters and those returning.

Thanks SukeyA that’s good to hear. I’ve been playing with the same few pounds for ages so maybe this time I’ll get rid of them once and for all.

Hi AtlantaJJ

I’m the same as you I only had a little to lose last year and achieved my goal last year before going on holiday. Since then I’ve had to quit Zumba as I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips, it’s really advanced in my left hip. Instead I now do yoga twice a week, hot yoga and restorative yoga: it has helped to strengthen my muscles and reduce the pain. But as I’m only 53 I’ve been advised to delay surgery as long as possible, as I the hip replacement will need replacing in 25 years!

However I’ve put on 5 lbs, so today I managed a fasting day without cheating – 550 calories so I’m pleased. I had porridge made with water for breakfast, 8 roasted almonds and plenty of green tea, then mixed veg with a small kangaroo steak for dinner and more green tea. I didn’t feel hungry when I ate dinner and will drink more before going to bed. I also walked to the hairdressers today at a by fast pace, so that felt good. Whilst on the Easter holidays From work I hope to complete 4 fasting days.

Do you any sites to track your food? My Fitness Pal is good, I use that. BTW I’m definitely in the menopause and have been put on a mild anti depressant for the night sweats and hot flushes, works a treat and lots safer than HRT.

Ali

Wow forums gone mad! So much activity……how nice

Welcome to all people new to the thread, sukeyA, stillvisible, JJ and AliH61

also Hi India.

Nice to see you all here.

Hi there everyone of you extraordinary women. I Just want you to know that you are all incredibly special. I realize now why this diet or should I say lifestyle, is so easy to stick with. It’s you!!!! Ginette, Audrey, Jaye,
    you all know who you are, but what you don’t know is until now, how unsuccessful my dieting attempts have been lately. I’ve taken all your advice to heart and I just want to thank you for your help and concern. You make it easy to do what needs to be done.

I visited the doctor this morning, and was given some super duper pain pills for my feet and legs. This may or may not be the reason for my love note to you all, but what the heck. I meant every word. Anyway, the result of my visit is that she said I must have the surgery soon as my condition is deteriorating. My fight foot is getting almost no blood flow and as a result is becoming indreasingly painful and discoloured. A constant burning ache, not much fun!!! But I’m off to my daughters on Thursday so I’ll be in touch once I’m there.

Love to you all !!!!!!!!! Fran 🙂

Hi Fran

We are all in it together as together we are all stronger.

You really are going through the wars. You too give your support and we are pleased that we can help you. If for one of us the going gets tough we have each other. This will make us successful, some slower than others but all going in the right direction……down

We will all be healthier and happier for it. I haven’t been on a forum before and I don’t really use facebook although I have an account so that I can play Scrabble. This is therapy for a lot of us. We understand the emotional ups and downs of weight loss and sometimes failure to lose weight. When I think of you I think how well you have done to conquer that cheese urge. I must admit to having a dairy free cheese sauce (calorie content is really low taste not great but passable) on my vegetables on some fast days.

Bless you Fran, for your lovely thoughts.

Ginette

The link to cheese sauce is below in UK. Not sure if tgey stock it is other countries.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Stock_Sauce_Mix_And_Gravy/Free_And_Easy_Dairy_Free_Cheese_Flavour_Sauce_Mix_130g.html

I hope the pain in your legs improve Fran.

Hi everyone !
    I started 5:2 diet a year ago,nothing happened with the weight.Now I know why ,fasting day is 36 hours !
    So now I started again,it´s my third FD.Feel very well ,but haven´t been on the scale,but feel a bit smaller..
    How “normal”do you eat on tHe days you don´t fast ?
    Please answer me ,need your help 🙂 !

Hi danielaevi,
    I think what you eat on your non fast days depends very much on yourself, you can eat whatever you like as long as you don’t go over your tdee.
    personally I limit myself to 1200 calories but that is because when I finally lose all my weight that will be the amount I am supposed to eat to maintain. I know some of the others eat low salt or low fat or no carbs like I said it’s up to you whatever you fancy. yesterday was a non fast day so I had a hot x bun, chilli with salad, slice of garlic baguette fruit etc.
    Hope this helps I am sure someone else will have better information, I fast from bedtime on 1 day till breakfast approx 36 hrs.

Welcome to all the other new ladies if certain ages, I am sure you will find a wealth of information and support here, I certainly have, and made some new friends too.

Fran, have a great holiday keep in touch stay strong,
    Audrey

Thankyou Audrey for you quick answer !
    I guess I´ve also had too much to eat on the non fast days.I think I will stick to 1500 cal. I tend to loose weight very slowly..But I´ll try to be strong !
    Have a great day where ever you are 🙂 !
    Danielaevi

Hi Danielaevi,
    I have been very successful with this diet well way of life with losing my weight. I don’t really want to lose much more and to be honest have lost 20kg firstly by cutting out sugar, then cutting nearly out carbs then starting the 5:2 which has been amazing. On my non fast days I don’t count calories at all I eat full fat foods and try not to do carbs at all. I also try and do no grain and it has all worked extremely well for me.Oh it has taken my like 18 months or so and I do exercise everyday just walking but try and do 20 000 steps a day and some days get to 30 000 – just to give you an idea. Hope it helps we all do it a bit differently and I think you just need to work out what suits you GOOD LUCK

Ginette K
    Thanks for the welcome back…Must have been all that green tea as I’ve lost 2.5 lbs, so pleased with myself. So much I’m going to do B2B fasting, I really don’t feel like eating loads today and I do have another one of those delicious steaks to eat today. Must get plenty in for FDs as at 137 cals compared to 330 for standard beef fillet steak they let you eat so much more! BTW they came from Lidl, £3.99 for 300g and 4 x 75g steaks in the pack.

Danielaevi
    You could try eating low GI foods on non fast days, these are carbs that take a lot longer to digest so you feel fuller for longer. Just a few ideas is to eat lentils, beans, brown rice, wholemeal bread, new potatoes and oats. That’s what I do most days, I love food and would be the size if a house if I didn’t, I can almost look at food at put on weight. I’m only 5’2″ and was once nearly 11 stone, one just above 9 stone: I would love to be 8.5 stone, my pre baby weight days, but one day at a time.

But ladies, we must be ourselves up when we fall off the wagon, take each day as it comes and try and make a good decision when choosing something to eat!

Ali x

Thankyou so much Ali &Broomstick for your answers.I´ll keep you informed how tings are developing 🙂 !
    danielaevi

I was a bit of a cow last night,
    my friend came round to see me, she hasn’t been for about 5 weeks or so and remarked that I had lost weight and asked me how was I doing it, so I told her I was doing 5 2. oh that’s so slow she said, yes it’s slow I replied but I have lost 16 lbs since January how much have you lost? She looked shocked then said 7 lb (she has been doing some sort of faddy diet, no this, no that you know the sort). I lost 5 lb the first week, then 1 lb 2nd and 3rd but nothing since.

I smiled and said well this may be slow but I am still losing, and i am down a dress size now!

she is one of those people who need to see instant results, but I told her to give it a go let’s hope she does.

I know I was nasty…am I a bad friend? I hope not

Hi Audreyg

You are not a bad or nasty friend. You’re on the type of eating plan that gives results and slow resulting plans always work in the long run, calling it a diet is bad. Drastic diets lose weight fast and when you go back to eating the old way it usually all goes back on. With 5:2, 4:3, 6:1 or ADF it’s a new way of life that works and is achievable. I haven’t done it properly since last autumn and I lost 2.5 lbs yesterday and am doing it again today. I seem to find it easier to do it B2B, back to back. Funnily enough I find it easier when I’m off work as I don’t have people asking “aren’t you eating today?” They don’t understand the health benefits, especially important for me as there is cancer in my family. You might have got a new recruit for the plan!

Give yourself a pat on the back and keep it up.
    Ali x

Ali,
    thanks for that I keep feeling that I was a bit nasty but she is a nurse she should know that faddy diets do not work!
    Welcome back to 5 2, I have only done one B2B and found if VERY hard, I fasted on Mon and am fasting again today so I am here if you need some support later.
    Audrey x

Hi all lots of new names today.

Hi Audrey

No you were right you were only showing her that your way was steadier but you were showing a loss week by week. I struggled on other diets and had the yo yo weight loss when I was on them. This also meant yo yo emotions for me and then giving up as I was feeling deprived and also a failure. At least this way is a consistent method. The only ups and downs may be water fluctuations in our body or may be going over TDEE. At least we can see why.

There is only 1 week where I haven’t lost. For me a minor miracle.

Let’s hope she gives it a go.

Maybe suggest that she has a look on the forum.

Ginette

Afternoon Gang!

We are growing… Thankfully not in pounds but people lol. Welcome all the new people and those returning.

@Franee Awww how sweet (insert heart emote) If I add one it will just make me post go off to the post stealing gremlins! What a lovely thing to say. I must admit that I look out for post from you, Ginette, Audrey, Fastdiet to name a few, when I log on here. It is a great thread, there is so much support on all the threads here. I find it really does help waffling away on here to you guys lol and reading your posts. So glad you have got some decent meds, really hope you get through the travelling and weekend well. Definitely sounds like it’s time to get your surgery done! Let us all know when.

So today I still feel poo, so much so I went into the walk in Center (I’m avoiding my GP as I don’t want to share my life’s most embarressing moment with him) lol. Anyhow, although my heart is racing a bit, my blood sugars were 6.5 which is great but i am still dehydrated. I’m going to drown to death soon I’m sure lol. The Nurse was a guy, he basically said firstly that I already know what’s wrong with me because I told him but I was right to go in. He said after reducing calories so intensly and then having such high volumes of alcohol (sugar-glucose) that it’s just sent my system all over the place but will be fine in a couple of days. He asked how I felt before starting this WOL and i said, pretty desperate and hated my life. And now I feel happy, healthy, my mobility is better, my confidence is up. He thought I had done fantastic in the 7 weeks and said, today go home and put your feet up, enjoy the Easter weekend and get back on your diet on Monday when you will be recovered and good luck, you sound and look great for all you obviously don’t feel physically well right now. That’s fantastic coming from a Triage nurse with 30 years experience behind him.

So my balance board, I went to get batteries it didn’t turn on (sad face) that was a waste of £11! Went to the store I called yesterday, they had one for £8. It was very close to the lift from the car park so figured I would pop there since I was out. It was reduced! Only £6 and a free wii fit with it! And my friend bought me the wii fit and wii fit plus for only £1.98. I will make sure both discs work, but not today. If I have a spare I am happy to send it to someone who needs it.

Oh and I got a parking ticket!! Wtf, pardon my french (angry face) said i didn’t have a valid ticket displayed but it was there for all to see! I’m challenging that, I have 14 days to do it in writing. If they won’t squash it, 14 more days to pay £25 which doubles after that. Grrrrr

Watching my TDEE but I’m not fasting till Monday. I’m down 1lb though.

Oh the wii said I’m 59 (I’m 48) lol…. Grrrrrr, but it also got my balance spot on, I lean to my right.

@daniel I fast Mon/wed, some fridays. I have my final meal at 8pm on a none fast day, go to bed, don’t eat untill 8pm that night, so a full 24 hr fast. I eat all my cals at once. I drink soda water all day with the odd 18 cal Miso soup if I get hanger pangs which I don’t get much now. I stay 200 under my TDEE as much a possible. I’ve been lucky enough to lose 3lbs a week. From 18.2 down to 16.7 in 7 weeks. I do low carbs, as little sugar as possible (read labels! ) and I don’t worry too much about fat on meats, in cream, in a bit of cheese, avocado, oily fish etc. I like the ‘pick n kill’ attitude, if you san pick it or kill it, you can eat it. Lol. Avoid processed food as much as possible. I also avoid diet drinks. I believe they are one of the things that stop us losing weight and feeling satiated when we eat. Some people split their (500 cals for women, 600 cals for men) into 2/3 meals rather than my prefered Fast which means I don’t eat anything for a full 24 hrs. Then I don’t eat again from 8pm on the fast day after dinner untill around 1/2pm the following day, depending on when I feel hungry.

@ginette, how do you get a 36 hr fast? I thought you split your food throughout the day? When do you last eat, till the next time you actually eat?

Hope everyone is having a great day, how are all the Wii-ERS doing? Lol.

Jaye 😉

Hi Broomstick, danielaevi,

Welcome to the forum. Hi Ali

Audrey. Ali is spot on it is a good plan as we all know. It is annoying that people we work with can try and undermine us and can appear negative.

There are enormous health benefits and anything we can do to keep healthy is a big plus. Losing weight is also part of that if very overweight.

B2B I would find to difficult I do Monday and Wednesday like Audrey. Gets them over quickly and has been successful.

Danielaevi

Just changing or swapping some foods can really help. Adding vegetables to mash etc. there are many little tricks. I make a big pot of mince. Only 500 gms of mince @ 12% fat. I add 2 tins of tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower and other veg into the pot. I use different spices to flavour it sometimes chilli or maybe oregano. I find the cauliflower takes on the flavour of the mince. This works out at about 6 meals and I serven it with vegetables. I don’t find I need potatoes with it. I put the button mushrooms in whole, this is something a friend of mine did and they don’t shrink down. Lovely…….

I also sometimes make it with quorn and can add different vegetable as I fancy. In quorn I always use lots of seasoning. The first time I made it I found it tasted bland no matter what I added. Then out of desperation I added fajita spice. Yes a strange idea…….unthought that as well. The result was delicious!! If you have never used quorn mince before they it looks like cardboard branflakes but don’t be put off. It is made from an edible fungus and provides protein. I always have some in the freezer.

Broomstick well done on losing 20kgs.

I had lost a stone before I started here that is 14lb

Ginette

Hi jaye,
    I am glad you have finally got the wii sorted out and hope you will feel better enough soon to try it out. I love mine although the wii fit is a little bit sarcastic at times hehe you will find out soon yourself.
    Ginette
    thanks for the kind words, I have stepped for 30 Mins, boxed for 20 Mins then did a bit of yoga and hoola hooping not a pretty site hehe lol.
    Audrey

@ Audrey, do you mean like how the avatar nearly pops when it tells you your weight!!!! Cheeky so and do. LOL

Jaye 🙂

No jaye,
    if you miss a few days it says things like “do I know you” or in my case cos hubby goes on too it calls me his name!

There was an urban legend that someone got on and the avatar got bigger and bigger then exploded! Lol ☺

Jaye

It is also really good when the Wii Piggy changes colour. I think mine changed colour twice when I was playing it before.

It will nag you. I like these little quirks they have built into it.

You will also later get the option for a quick weigh in. My Wii weight is a lot less than my own scales. I need to set my new scales up for the end of the week.

Imagine the avatar exploding. I never heard of that before.

I am just having a relaxing cup of tea before getting my new game out. My second hand game was far cheaper than a vets bill.

I bought some hunters chicken day for non fast days. I haven’t had this for a while. Piece of cheese WS definitely minimal so not too bad.

Not even hungry yet. Maybe a workout will up the appetite………

Ginette

Audrey and others who are interested I have posted update to new Wii game the biggest loser on the mid fifties thread.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/mid-fifties-just-starting-and-hoping-to-lose-weight-yet-again/page/11/#post-83640

Ginette

Hi All

Update on Wii game review The biggest Loser Challenge here

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/fat-busting-brits-%F0%9F%91%8A%F0%9F%98/page/2/#post-83712

Ginette

Hi all,
    just a quick post to let you know I have to go up to Lancashire to look after my mum for a while.
    as we have a Holiday at the caravan planned soon I am not sure when I will be back online. My mobile wii does not work on tablet.
    I am sticking to 5 2 as much as I can, and will be in touch when I get home.
    happy easter everyone, don’t eat to many eggs.
    Ginette thanks for the update on the game.
    Audrey

Morning Guys, almost afternoon actually,

I thought it would be nice to get to see everyone so I have created a new Face Book page just for my Fast friends.

My name is Jaye Blogs should have gone with Doe but thought I might sound dead lol. I’ve added a pic, I have blonde hair and wearing a blue and cream dress. Although it’s just a head shot but you’ll be able to find me through that info.

I would love to see you all on there, we don’t have to chat there if you don’t want to, but it is a way to send private messages if anyone ever needs to, plus I’m putting photos on to show my weight loss. For me it’s important to see the changes even if only I can see them.

Hope you’ll join me

Jaye 🙂

Hi Jaye, I have sent you a friend request.

Good idea Jaye

How are you feeling a bit better I hope. Did you see that program about fat last night. Interesting. The exercise I did yesterday was very similar to the method that helps you burn double the fat you would have for 24 hours. I went to bed a lay their just thinking how nice it was to be still fat burning at a higher level. I think I did it about 7.30.

I am going to have a day off today. I watched the truth about fat just before I saw your link, so I will look at this later as well.

Today a well earned rest is in order.

Lost 1lb but I can see I am retaining water at the moment. Probably due to the exercise. Not sure the whys and wherefores. I ache a bit today. I bent down to pick something up and could feel the aches.

Not bad though as the exercise was fast and frantic.

As the doctor on the program said 20 minutes at 2 minutes pushing yourself as hard as you can and 1 minute resting is what you need even if you are speed walking or walking up an incline and then resting will do it. sounds a lot like HIT to me.

I got 4 Jaffa cakes to watch with that program with a cup of tea…….made myself laugh. 172 calories but I was well under for the day.

I hope everybody’s doing well today and are going to treat themselves to a small Easter egg. As the program said you have to have some fat. I have very little. Maybe why I haven’t much energy.

Have a nice holiday Audrey. I hope Mum gets better soon.

By the way link here to 4 minute you tube clip on HIT. it compares two people doing different exercises.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4S3-Jk0OCY

Ginette

Quick hello and Happy Easter,
    Hope you are all doing well. Haven’t caught up on everything on the thread yet…have been busy playing with my Granddaughter!
    Fast day today for me so I will stay away from the chocolate eggs; we’re off to the beach later today for a couple of weeks.
    My back is better but still troublesome and stomach starting to revolt against the anti-inflammatories, especially on fast days when I take them with no food. Oh well, if it isn’t one thing, it’s another.

Hi all you lovely ladies,
    Well, I never made it to my daughters’ for Easter. It just seems to be one disaster after another. This time, I was happily asleep, then awakened to use the bathroom and in fact ( pardon the gory details ) felt I had wet myself. I looked down and to my horror, I was covered in blood. My leg was gushing blood from some undetermined source and I was not able to stop it. I tried unsuccessfully for about 10 minutes then woke my husband who called 911 for an ambulance. At the hospital, it took them several hours to fully stop the blood flow at which time they sent me on my merry way. To make a long story short, I saw my doctor who managed to get me an urgent appointment with the vascular surgeon to arrange for my surgery this month. I see him on April 23 and will have the surgery within a week after that.The problem is that the bleeding was due to a build up of blood due to the poor blood flow in my legs and the potential for developing a blood clot. So, once again I’m forced to take it easy, and again my poor old hubby is taking up the slack. The 5/2 is also on hold, but only because I’m busy worrying about other things. Still not over eatting though. I seem to have lost much of my appetite. I’ll keep you posted on my progress towards becoming able bodied once more. I’m sure looking forward to it.
    I sure hope all of you had a better Easter than I did. And I hope all your fast days were a breeze.
    Love to you all.
    Fran 🙂

Ohh Franee that’s awful you must have been scared to death. What a shame they didn’t just take you to surgery then and there. Obviously waking up to a burst vain in your thigh isn’t ’emergency enough’!!!
    Try to stay at your TDEE then you don’t undo all your good work or gain and put extra stress on your veins. Eat a litle of the things you fancy. You can keep yourself on track, you are old hand at this now lol. Do try to keep your spirits up. How about you create a Facebook account just to come and join the page I created just for us Fasting friends. You can see pictures of some of us. You can post good recipes and healthy facts and inspirational quotes you find on the net. That will keep you busy and your mind occupied. I hope you do. My account details are

Jaye Blogg. I am wearing a blue and cream dress, though it’s a head shot. There are about 7 of us there now.

Keep your chin up lovely. Xx

Quick hello to you other guys, I felt Franee was dressing of her own posting lol.

Ginette, well done with all your exercises!!! You are doing brilliantly. I’m still lacking in energy a bit but pretty much fine now. I’m fasting today, really happy to be back to it. Had a successful week. Starting off at 16.5.5lbs. I’ve not added the extra half pound to last weeks loss, I’ll add it to this weeks. Did lose 3lb without it though. I was good all week plus no alcohol at all. Had a fantastic plate of pasta for dinner last night lol. My first since I started. Still didn’t go over TDEE and had lost that 1/2lb today. Can’t complain at that! Still can’t believe I said no thanks to dessert and that I can happily watch others eat it! I feel like someone has removed the ‘foodie’ part of my brain and replaced it with a naturally slim person with great healthy eating habits. I love that fasting has had this effect on me. I’ve completely changed around food. My sister said yesterday that for the first time in my life she thinks i will get ‘slim’. She’s never seen so much determination and happiness in me about losing weight and how it’s making me feel. She’s been around my struggling her own battle most of our adult lives. She’s now struggling with a bad knee which is changing her life as she has bern very active. We skways say ‘she will meet herself coming back’ lol. She’s put weight on quickly over the last couple of months because of it. I dropped her an ’emergency fast day’ pack yesterday. Ot contained Miso soup, low GI bread (real emergency lol, more for none fast days) Lemon & Ginger Tea and fresh lemons. I’m going to support her getting back int fasting. She lost lots for a wedding a few years ago and kept most of ot on. Went up-down a little untill lately were it’s been more gaining.

Hello Fastdiet, nice to see you popping on. I take anti inflammatories too but they don’t seem to bother me do far. My sister is like you though. You need to have a bit of breakfast with them even on a fast day or at least a small glass of milk. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. How nice having beach weather!

Hi to Audrey who i know won’t get on but we are thinking of you lol.

Dinner sounds lovely Graham. I should start putting a sauce on my meat. I’ve taken to eating steak, med-rare leaning more to rare I ask for here lol. Med-rare comes more like med otherwise… Pffffft

Hi to anyone I have missed and the lurkers please say hi and join our face book page.

Jaye

Poor Fran

What a preadolescent time. I agree with Jaye they should have operated there and then. Maybe there is a reason not too. As Jaye says keep under your TDEE and you won’t put on any weight. If you reduce it a bit you could reduce a lb here and there. Keep away from the cheese. Lovely but lethal calorie wise. I had some in an omelette. I buy reduced fat nor and halve the amount to would normally use.

Get well soon

Hi Jaye

You sound so much better. Missed you on here although with such a terrible week I can understand it. Yes my food tastes have changed as well. Really strange isn’t it!

Well done on adding to your loss.

Come on lurkers, come and join us.

Ginette

Hi Ginette

In the words of Barbossa, them’s just “guidelines”rather than rules!

avast, me hearties!

We can work on the guilt! Lol.

Fasting today, just fizzy water so far, but off to Costa, this could be tricky, but a coffee with OH and son is a treat after working again today.

If anyone has got an iPhone/ iPad

Download a free app called My model. You can add before/now and after weights and it will show a model of your loss. I am sure that this is probably available on android. Perhaps someone can check.

Interesting to see.

Ginette

Hi all,
    Well, I’m back on track and feeling much better. I’m downstairs so access to proper fasting food is right at hand. I decided that as long as I’m feeling good I would try a fasting day so today was it. I know I said I wasn’t going to worry about dieting, but it’s just that sort of thinking that got me in this shape to begin with. Once again you all have opened my eyes to the reality of just what’s at stake here. I can continue to find excuses or I can simply get on with it. A soft boiled egg and a toasted english muffin for breakfast and a broiled shrimp salad with oil and vinegar dressing for dinner was my only food for today. And yes, It feels great to have that non-stuffed feeling again after eatting.

I’m still trying to locate a second hand Wii fit plus so I can start my exercise regimen. My sister Debbie
    ( DJ757575) and I have been scouting around to acquire one. You’ll know when we do, because you won’t hear the end of my bragging when I add exercise to dieting and I start on that long road back to health. I’m feeling pumped !!!!! And it’s not just all that hot air I’ve been full of lately ( ha ha).

It seems as though everyone had a good Easter, non dieting as well as dieting. So let’s continue onward and upward, or should I say downward. Love to all. Fran 🙂

Hi Fran

Glad to hear that you are really upbeat. It feels so good to be in control.

I can’t wait for you to get a Wii.

Exercise will benefit you in many ways, you will feel proactive, feel better as it is a mood enhancer, may cut cravings to certain foods as I did and it will help you lose weight, just moving a bit more helps us. This is what I found and if you see Dr Moseleys HIIT exercises these have been shown to increase weight loss and they can also improve health benefits.

I am sorry that I don’t have a link to video for you. If I find one I will post it. I do post Wii exercise updates on the Mid fifties thread and my 10 week weight loss week by week. This is a thread I started as I thought it might be of interest to people who were starting, struggling or just interested. I shall put updates to weightloss every 10 weeks.

So pleased you are up and about.

Ginette

Good morning to all fellow ladies of a ‘certain age’,
    I have just started the 5/2 lifestyle. Completed one whole day so far. Big whoop, right? I didn’t find it too bad, though I think, after reading some of the comments, that I should have paid more attention to what I ate on day two. After a lifetime of sedentary jobs the pounds have fairly packed on all over the place. However did I let that happen? Ready to get serious now about my health. Some would say it is too late, but I say ‘Never Say Die – or Diet’. I don’t know about you Ladies, but I certainly never thought my body would betray me the way it has. As George Burns used to say “If I known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself”. Ditto.
    I am working my way through all the info here. I appreciate the difficulties and I realize now that my optimistic goal of shedding some 50 lbs before summer may be a tad unrealistic. So I shall lower my expectations to 49 lbs.
    We’re all in this together. Cheers!

Welcome Helen! That’s the spirit, keep your goals realistic haha!

Over time you will find that your eating on non fast days becomes more “normal” which doesn’t mean the way you were eating pre 5:2, it means a new normal that will come naturally as you re-educate yourself on the calorie content of your meals. That’s the way it is supposed to work anyway.

Enjoy the journey and happy fasting!

Hi Applepie,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. So no more chocolate bars on my normal days, huh? Bummer. But as I’m more interested in losing weight and getting fit and getting my blood work in line, I guess they’ll have to go. If it goes as slow as some of the women are saying, I may have to tag a year on to my summer goal. Oh well. It’ll still come off. Of that I am sure.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Same to yourself. Happy Fasting. Though with a moniker like ‘Applepie’ I think I’d be feeling like some all the time. lol.

Hey Helen, I am sure you will still have your chocolate bars, if you still want them, just not as much or as often as you did previously. I still have wine when I want it but I find I just don’t want gin and tonics. Don’t ban anything.

I have lost 22lbs in 3 months, so around half a stone a month. That 50lbs of yours will go, just give it time.

Good luck!

I’ve only just started doing this diet so it’s my first week. My husband (61) has lost 7lbs and I have lost less than 1lb. Admittedly I only have about 10lbs to lose he has about 2st but it is a bit disappointing.

I am fatigued all the time and very tired on the day after my fasting day and think that my body is protecting itself by not releasing any energy from my fat stores but just leaving me without energy for the day???

Am eating a healthy diet (Slimming World) on the non fasting days!!

E

Hi Helen

Welcome to the forum. Applepie has given you some good information. Most so us don’t deprive ourselves of what we consider as treats. It is really useful to work out calorie content in foods and treats you have. It is a process of reeducating ourselves. Food choices will change over time and you may find some things too sweet. I did last week. Last May I had a box of crunchy nut cornflakes and I had bought a second box to have. The first box were moreish (I always eat them as a treat in the evening). This time they were so sweet I found them difficult to eat. Not a problem I had foreseen!

I still eat chocolate and have lost a stone and 2lb since January 10th. I am please with this rate of loss although I do imagine it slowing down and may need a lot of encouragement then.

I have over 6 stone left to lose, so my weigh loss may be quicker than other people. I still have chocolate and treats but I roughly calculate that they are within my TDEE, I am usually well within it, I did calculate for the fist couple of weeks and still look on the back of packets as I am buying things. I only calculate everything on a fast day, I also weigh everything to make sure I am accurate. These will get easier too and I quite look forward to mine.

I also set my TDEE and 200 calories lower knowing that as I lose weight it needs to be adjusted.

Good luck with your fast days, stay strong and if you are struggling remember you can eat what you want the next day.

Ginette

Hi Lainey

Have you got to the end of your fast days for this week? I always way myself the second day after my last fast day. I used to go to slimming world but loved the fact that I could eat pasta and potatoes. Sadly my body used to store this as fat. I didn’t really lose weight on this. I went with someone who used to do mostly read days and had about 1 green day a week. She lost a lot of weight. I remember her taking three sandwiches to work they were made with Danish bread and eggs fried in fry light. This was the only carbs that she ate, although she did eat vegetables with her evening meal.

This works for me. I do try to have lower carb days and now only have potatoes about twice a week. I have bread on about 5 days, but I am going to cut down to 4 and have an omelette or soup instead one day. I do eat granary or wholemeal bread and plenty od salad in a sandwich.

You are probably just adjusting to this way and if you stick with it you will lose. You may lose at smaller amounts as you are near your target. Maybe do a little more exercise.

Good luck

Ginette

Hi Applepie

Way to go! Half a stone a month is great! I know my tastes will change. And always for the healthier. I’m sure my Cadbury’s will be way too sweet for me after a while. Who knows, I may be able to eat only one square at a time, if at all! That would be unheard of. lol I know the 3.5 stones will come off. For a change I’m not expecting them to disappear overnight. I suppose I’ve learned some patience in now. BTW I’m 63.

Thanks again for your encouraging words and insight. As they say ‘Watch this Space!’.
    ;

Hello Ginette,

Thank you so much for sharing with me. I so appreciate your insights. It makes a huge difference to get advice from people who are actually involved with the programme and can relate. The advice from yourself and Applepie is being taken to heart, believe me.

You’re doing really well too. Almost half a stone a month too. I like your idea of cutting 200 cals from your TDEE – a term I didn’t learn until last night. It makes perfect sense that you would have to adjust your numbers as time goes on and weight is lost.

Today is actually only my second fast day. I still haven’t even finished reading the book, but I decided to go ahead and join the website anyway. And I am so glad that I did. Nice to know there are people out there who are going through the same thing.

I have started reading the labels more thoroughly. I confess I didn’t throw out all the foods that I had in my cupboard that I wouldn’t buy now. But I do cut the portion. Only a taste now, not a whole serving – or two!

Thanks again for encouraging me. You guys are an inspiration, not only to me, but I’m sure to all those around you. Makes me feel hopeful and energized.

As I said to Applepie ‘Watch this Space’ Yeah! We’re gonna do it! This is our time!

I normally eat healthily but have put on a few pounds due to those extras I ate during a stressful time. I have done 2 days and have to say this way is far easier for me to stick to, rather than many weeks at trying to stick to 1300 to 1500 cals a day. Years ago I could do that, no problem.

On the non eating days I have a bowl of porridge in the morning and evening. 2 skinny home made cappuccino and copious amounts of home made vegetable soup in a mug. on both days I walked a couple of miles and went to the gym. Didn’t feel hu gry at all.

I am an insomiac so didnt notice whether this diet affected my sleep. I did however feel a little unstable by 7.00pm. I don’t work and would not be happy working whilst on a virtually food free day. This could be because of the insomnia. I had to give up work because of it.

I’ve lost 3 pounds in weight. More than would be expected with the reduced calories, so could also be water loss, although I also drink as much water as I can.

I’m very impressed with the diet and will keep it going for another 6 weeks as want to lose 3 more pounds. Which is the average anyone will lose cutting back the amount of calories suggested on this diet.

I don’t eat more than about 1900 to 2000 cals on other days and eating hhealthy on those days is very important.

Hi Helen

I have read that book twice and another one as well. There are things you miss first time as it is such a lot to take in. The TDEE is in the right hand corner of the page. Look under Fast Diet tracker. So far you either enter your weight in kg or lbs, I know that they are working on adding in stones and lbs.

Hi Goforgold

I would always give a new plan about 10 weeks and then look back and evaluate whether it is working for me. My first 10 weeks were good with only a little effort.

You will find this way of eating changes your taste. I must admit I wasn’t expecting that but I am pleased with the changes.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,

There is a lot of information in the book. I have it on loan from the library, but I bought the new and improved edition and now have it on my Kindle. It goes where I go. So I shall start all over again from the beginning and hopefully take more in.

I found an old log book that I bought specifically for tracking food. Sad to say my first entry is dated Christmas Eve 2008! Now that’s just a stupid time to start trying to track food! There’s not enough room on a page for all those Christmas goodies. Live and learn I guess.

Over the years I’ve added to it. I’m 2/3 rds through the book. It’ll last for the next three months which I am going to track faithfully. Regardless of what I eat. I’m only human, so I expect maybe one or two slip ups. This way I can look back and maybe see some patterns and become aware of what works and what doesn’t.

It’s a journey and I’m still psyched up to get involved and stick with the program. I will weigh myself next Monday, my one week anniversary. Does anyone think this is enough tracking or should I weigh myself more often? Don’t want to become discouraged with the normal fluctuations.

When I get hungry on the fast days, I tell myself two things. I can eat what I want tomorrow – in moderation and my body is repairing itself while I’m not eating. These keep me going.

Everyone have a fabulous, healthy fast/non fast day!

Hi GoForGold,

I can sympathize with your insomnia. I was up all last night. I’m sorry yours is chronic. I go through periods of not sleeping and then I have one good night’s sleep and I’m back to normal til the next time.

I too am finding this program easier to stick to than an all day/every day can’t eat this or that. Anyone can do one day at a time. Three pounds is great for the first week, even if it is water weight.

I love my porridge, so I’m going to start having that every morning. It is so filling. Making adjustments as I go. As we all must.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,551 through 4,600 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.