HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Jinkins
    Good one day over. When is your next FD?
    I woke up hungry this morning and ate a bit. Even on non-fast days, I try to leave a 16 hour fast time- ie only eat 2 meals. But I have been getting a bit light-headed too.
    I am a Kiwi, but moved to France over 20 years ago. However now I am retired, we winter over in NZ. I leave at a very high altitude in France and winter is snowy!
    I have grandchildren in Rome, so in spring we will be back as I love those small Romans.
    When you are young and make decisions, the decisions have consequences. Geographically, it doesn’t make sense. I am the non-French one living in France, and my two French daughters live in London and Rome. Crazy eh?
    Keep up the new WOL.
    XX

Bonjour KiwiWiwi – here in Burgundy the weather is cooler early morning and as the sun sets, but when the sun shines it is still hot enough to sit and enjoy. Do give the Victoria Sponge cake a try, it’s delicious and not too naughty! I’m a keen baker and also share cakes with my neighbours, who are amazed at my simple bakes. I find the french do not bake in their homes; for special occasions they buy the decorative patisseries which are works of art. When it is Chloe’s birthday I bake special cakes for her, one was Peppa and George pig and another of Hello Kitty – I’m not a fancy baker but definitely impressed Chloe’s french Mamy and Papy; especially my lemon meringue pie which wowed them.

Today is the first FD of the week and so far (it’s only 10.30) it’s going ok – I now only have one meal on a FD, around 6 p.m., and have a large plateful of lots of small portions of protein and veg, sometimes I even add 10g of salt/vinegar crisps which adds a ‘kick’. I keep back 100 calories so I can enjoy cups of tea, with a touch of milk, throughout the day. What are your favourite eats on a FD?

Jinkins – like you I try and keep busy on a FD. There are waves of hunger but they do pass quite quickly. You mention going to the cinema to see ‘Gone Girl’ – I’ve read the book which was a real page-turner, but I doubt I’ll get to see the film, as here in France very few cinemas have english-speaking films, they are usually dubbed. You mention that this morning you haven’t felt hungry yet – that’s how I find the mornings after a FD, which is really strange because you would expect that we would be really hungry from the previous day.

I’ll be back later in the week,
    a bientot,
    Femme

Hi ladies

Thank you so much for answering my posts. On my second day of my new WOL and still feeling fine though just having a glass of wine so I will have to be careful. My TDEE of 1790 doesn’t give much room for manoeuvre!
    It’s chucking it down in UK at the moment so Rome, NZ and Burgundy all sound so wonderful. My husband comes originally from Cape Town so we go back every year for a few weeks which is great – particularly for him as he absolutely hates the winter here.
    My next Fast Day is Friday and we’re out to dinner before theatre but I’m already planning fish and green veg!!
    Femme – the book is better than the movie but I always think that. The acting etc was great but having read the book the suspense was missing so you shouldn’t worry if you miss it.
    I’m really going to try to keep to my TDEE each day – as well as the fasting that for me will be the key I think – here’s hoping. Have a good week guys

Jinkins x

Hi Jinks

Well done on your fasting. Don’t give up on the water, tea etc. It’s good for the kidneys. We all experience more loo trips when taking in 2 litres a day. Keep on keepin on!

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi everyone, I’m back and reporting in. Have really enjoyed catching up on all the posts.
    In the first 10 days I lost 5kg.I’m fasting today and will have my third weigh in tomorrow. I’m following the instructions except I think I have a little extra coffee and milk (still keep cals in line with TDEE, ie having 500 cals under).

I’m still a little hungry on fast days but I think it’s because I’m “feeling” restricted.I keep thinking tomorrow will be here soon enough and how good I will feel that I got though the fast day without busting (my own personal challenge).

I am inspired to exercise now,something I haven’t experienced before.Last week I started Pilates.Feeling good.

Have a great week all.

Hi Kiwi, Femme, Cheesey etc
    Unfortunately, as the Fast Diet world grows exponentially, it is impossible to follow all threads. I read LOACA “recents” occasionally to be sure my old mates are still hanging in there. Good on you.
    We continue to fast twice a week and are both weighing in at the size we were in our early 30s. Fighting fit. 😉
    Cheers all, PVE

Hi everyone

Bayleafoz – thanks for the advice, I will try having more before the evening so it doesn’t disturb sleep.
    Skinnysoon – great news you’ve started Pilates – I’ve been doing it regularly for years and it keeps my back in shape – literally! Keep at it though, it takes a while to ‘get’ it however good the teacher.

Jinkins x

Hello – I am on Day One (Fast day) 500 cals. I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and have been on HRT patches for 8 years. I compleletly understand that our metabolism’s slow down with the menopause and I sure the treatment does not help weight loss. I have gained quite a lot of weigh. I will keep you posted on how I get along. I expect without some form of exercise 4 times a week it will be a slow process. Do you exercise (Walk, swim, go to the gym or cycle ?) I did a 30 minute fast walk before my breakfast of wheatabix. I am not a fan of diets and hope so much that even if this is a 1 lb a week it will work. thank you for sharing your post and I will do my very best to keep going and if I come up with any ‘helpful hints’ after a few months of getting into this system I shall pass them on. I am actually waiting for the receipe book to arrive to help me with meal ideas etc.

Sending you good vibes to keep going.

🙂

Good morning LOACAs all.

Welcome Ginandtonic2. Congratulations on choosing this way of living (WOL), you have made a good decision for your health, with the added bonus of losing weight.

Many ladies here and on other threads have gained weight since the dreaded meno. Up to 50 I was skinny and over the years (I’m 68) the kgs have gradually piled up. I have ‘lost’ varying amounts of weight but they have all come back with friends. Psychologically, for me restricted short-term weight loss plans don’t work because they come with such a sense of deprivation that whenever I achieve some milestone I relax and undo my good work.

The system is simple and may I recommend you read Dr M’s book if you haven’t already done so or at least track down his original Horizon TV program Eat, fast, live longer. The FAQs at the top of the web pages are also full of useful info.

At the start, measure as many parts of you as possible and the Tracker on this site is a handy way to follow your progress. Sometimes the scales don’t move and it can be disheartening but often some other vital statistic is smaller, even wrists and fingers shrink with looser watch bands and rings.

The important thing to remember that this is a way of life and not a quick fix. In the longer term it changes our attitude to food and retrains old bad habits. If you stick to no more than your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) on non-fast days and <500C on fast days you should lose at least 1lb a week. There’s lots of embedded wisdom on this and other threads so if you have the time, read back.

Regarding exercise, if you don’t currently do much then don’t worry at least at the beginning. Intermittent fasting (IF) can be challenging and it’s not so good to take on too many new hard things at the same time. Exercise will definitely help crank up your metabolism. I do a weekly Hatha yoga class and weight training with a PT and I really enjoy these. If you force yourself it gets to be a grind; others dance, do aquarobics, swim, bowl and play golf.

I hope you enjoy your journey and the wonderful feeling of empowerment that results.

Hi Gina
    Yes, our metabolisms slow as we age, but that just means we need less food. We can all weigh in as we did in our 30s or wherever our peak healthy weight was.
    Exercise tends to tone the body and is best done with a fitter lighter body. Master fasting first. The eating less is the key to gaining your goal weight. You will feel like moving more when you are lighter and your joints will thank you.
    All the best. It is a great rewarding journey. PVE 🙂

Bonjour lovely LOACA – nice to see PVE, Bayleaf and NickyF again and great to see that you are all still following, and are happy with, this WOE – that’s very encouraging; and welcome ginandtonic2 (no need to ask what your favourite tipple is!)

I’ve been thinking about our expectations of how much weight we feel we should be losing – but when you think how long it took to put the weight on – how long might it take to get it off? But, of course, with the FD way of eating, and being more aware of what we eat on our TDEEs, hopefully not as long! Of course, the more we have to lose the quicker, initially, it should come off.

PVE: I definitely agree with your comment about fasting first, and then slowly introducing exercise. Walking is always a great introduction, slowly over time increasing the speed and distance (maybe investing in a pedometer). Walking, or any form of exercise, is best done on an empty stomach, and only do exercise that you enjoy, otherwise it won’t be sustained longterm.

Congratulations skinnysoon – 5kg in 10 days! Pilates is an excellent form of exercise, strengthening core muscles, etc. I’m an advocate of daily yoga which also strengthens, stretches, relaxes and keeps our body supple.

Jinkins – your TDEE is around the same as mine, and at first you think it sounds so much, though, of course, we don’t need to eat all the TDEE but it’s great to know it’s there. Good luck for your Friday fast – my next one is tomorrow.

KiwiWiwi – I see that on your TDEE days you only eat two meals – I know you are losing so well, so I might give that a try too. Remember how we were brought up being told that breakfast was the most important meal of the day – when my children were young I used to worry if they skipped breakfast, but really we are all different anyway; my mum, in the 1950s and a full-time teacher, always cooked a hot breakfast before school.

NickyF – I guess putting weight on around the menopause is a fact of life, and our metabolism definitely slows down. My TDEE is currently 1782 – I put my daughter’s age (33) in as a comparison and her TDEE would be 1981; proof that as we age we need fewer calories. As we go through life we have to make lots of adjustments, and I guess eating less is another!

A bientot
    Femme

Hello, I’ll make my own opinion later, just following your post now 🙂

Hi everyone, I just popped in to tell you all that Dr Michael Mosley is on BBC 2 tonight at 8pm I am for ever grateful to him for 5-2.
    Happy fasting or feasting as the case may be. JIP

Good morning lovely LOACAs everywhere.

Another very cold cloudy day, by Australian standards anyway. 😉

Despite a few weeks of being quite undisciplined on non-FDs the scales showed a new low, another 0.4kg and 1cm from my waist up in smoke. Mon-Wed pretty good with about 2,500C total for the 3 days, including 2 FDs. Have resolved to NOT EAT BETWEEN MEALS – apologies for cyber-shouting but need to speak very firmly to myself. 🙂

Good to ‘talk’ again JIP, Femme and Cheesy; good morning to SH mates Purple and Bay and soon-to-be in the SH, Wiwi.

Keep up the good work all. N

Morning everyone!!!
    I’m not a frequent poster but really love to read about all of you and how you are doing with your lives. I have been doing the fast diet now for a few weeks and have lost 4lbs. Today is a fast day for me. So porridge and banana for breakfast and fish and salad for tea this evening. And of course plenty of water!!! Leigh

Morning all
    Lovely to read all your posts. I think Femme’s point about breakfast is really valid. I was also made to eat breakfast and accepted the view that we should all eat breakfast but in truth my appetite doesn’t wake up till midday so now I’m only eating if I’m hungry. As I typed that I realised just how silly it is that I’m only now beginning to think about eating because I’m hungry not because the clock or convention says I should!
    Has anyone found other benefits on this WOL for aging/menopausal symptoms such as arthritis, dry skin, mood etc Like everyone I want to lose weight but I’m also interested in other benefits in our age group???
    Have a good Thursday everyone – it’s a beautiful day in Sussex.

Jinkins

Hello Jinkins
    I am preparing an answer to ‘your other health benefits’ question. I will get back on that.
    The science behind all this is fascinating.
    XX KiwiWiwi

Hi Jinkns

I would second your request for any info on the health benefits of fasting on osteoarthritis. I’m only 53 and have just been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my left hip, I have been referred onto my local hospital. Unfortunately for me it is not a complete surprise due to my family history. Through 5:2 and a low GI diet I’ve been able to lose 14lbs, it was 18lbs, so I am not overweight and don’t have excess strain on my joints. Recently I took up hot yoga after stopping Zumba classes, I struggle with some moves but my fab teacher is always on hand to give alternative moves or adaptations to make it easier.

Ali

Hello Ali and jinkins

I read a book by James Johnson about Alternate Day Fasting. He is a plastic surgeon who saw how people had struggled with their weight and used himself as a guinea pig. His ADF consists of eating normally and even 10% more than TDEE and the next only 25% of TDEE. I have been doing this now for 3.5 months.
    He goes into some depth on the way that ADF can allow hormeosis which is the regeneration of cells in your body. He tlks about the go-go effect of foods which allows no regeneration. He did some work on asthma groups and found that his control group responded well and their asthma problems were lessened by the ADF. He talked about osteoarthritis too as being reversible. I have it and had a knee replacement 4 years ago. My other knee was bad a few months ago, but it feels much better as do my hands and feet. I have osteoarthritis there. The book goes into the science in some depth and I found it very interesting. I bought it on kindle.
    Weight loss then is one benefit. My OH is very slim now after 3 months of this WOE, but fasts still to get these health benefits.
    One interesting sideline is the fact that our bodies when they wear out is because of oxidation. So anti-oxidants are very important. JJ places a lot of importance on Resveratrol (red wine) as a strong antioxidant. We take tablets of resveratrol.
    What seems to be sure is that research is on-going. MM talks about the Institute of Ageing in California that he visited. But it seems that fasting can even allow brain cells to regenerate and thus help with Alzheimers.
    At present I feel extremely well with fewer aches and pains. Is it less weight or is it cell regeneration? I’d love to have that answer.
    MM and JJ both talk about IGF-1 factor (Insulin Growth Factor). This is what causes the go-go effect in the body. I don’t feel sure enough to write about this, but certainly it stops hormeosis. My OH has just found that a molecule is now available to inhibit IGF, but it is not available as a parmaceutical product yet.
    I am not sure that this is that clear, but I have got very interested in this question of hormeosis.
    Good Night. Bonne Nuit.
    KiwiWiwi

Thanks JIPWGP, for the timely reminder to watch the MM BBC programme. It was very interesting.
    My daughter in Italy will always eat reheated pasta now!
    XXKiwiWiwi

Good morning all LOACA – I love reading all of your posts and find this forum very warm and encouraging – with lots of honest and practical tips thrown in. And much needed humour! I wish I could join in more often but I work shifts. Yesterday I did my 1st FD on a 6am-2pm shift which I found quite hard (but I stuck to it almost – may have gone slightly over 500cals but succumbed to a raw carrot and not a chocolate biscuit!) I think it was hard as it was basically a longer day without food…..I really look forward to the next (normal eating) day when I go to bed but invariably wake up with a small appetite! I am finding the weight loss to be slow (about half a pound to a pound a week) but it is coming off. I have about 10 pounds to go. I am on early shift again today and can be “normal” ! I like the way this WOE is making me really think about food and how much I was eating (before diet) when I was not even hungry. Just mindless and using food to “de-stress” or feel like I am doing something. It is early days but it feels as though I am standing up to food and saying “hey! who is in charge here!?” But I know how much power Chocolate has so I am certainly not out of the woods yet! I hope you all have a lovely day – especially those of you on the Fasting Days and those of you on normal days – enjoy every mouthful! 🙂

Morning everyone

KiwiWiwi – thank you so much for such a detailed answer. Like AliH61 I have inherited arthritis although mine is nothing like as severe as hers as yet. I’m really hoping this WOL will at least impede the development. Also MM’s observations about alzheimers are equally encouraging – watching an aunt go through this awful disease is heart breaking and anything that could stave that off would be amazing.
    But I’m getting carried away – only just about to start my second FD!! It was my lovely husband’s birthday yesterday so it wasn’t my best TDEE day but I will make up for it today.
    Hope everyone has a positive and happy Friday particularly others on FD

Jinkins x

hi skinnysoon, i like your post…..

Hi, I currently live in France on my own and started this diet in May this year, but doing alternate day fasting though not strictly, Sometimes going a bit over 500 cals, and changing my fast day to the next day when going out for meals, etc). (I’d tried 5:2 and that maintained my weight, but no loss). I was losing a steady pound per week on average ( sometimes nothing, but sometimes 2). I lost 10 lb over 11 weeks. I was on track to lose 2 and a half stone by my daughter’s wedding next year. Then I went home to the UK for six weeks and promptly gained it all back again.
    I went straight back onto ADF but vowed to do it more strictly in the hopes of now losing 1.5 or two pounds per
    week to catch up. The first week i lost three pounds, then nothing for two weeks. The last two weeks I lost heart a bit
    so didn’t stick to it rigidly again and I’m back to one pound
    loss pw. I am desperate to lose more so I can buy my
    wedding outfit (I have to give my daughter away, so I
    definitely have to look the part!).
    You are all so right, it is very disheartening to see others lose so much on the 5:2 when I can’t do it even on ADF.
    I have now joined this site and am going to try to cut my calories in line with what I need less 7000 pw in the hopes
    of boosting this up a bit. But I don’t know if that will work or not. And time is aticking.
    I don’t know if that will help anyone else at all?

Oh I forgot to say, I’m 58 and had menopause brought on through taking Tamoxifen for breast cancer 7 years ago. All the best everyone!

Hi Slimmersylv
    Welcome to this WOL. You are the third French resident on this site. I am on the ADF too and don’t always lose as much as the arithmetic should indicate.
    You are losing so don’t give up heart.
    We all feel better, and that is a bonus.
    Do you stick to 500 on down days and eat normally on up days?
    Are you losing in waist etc measurements?
    Do you drink 2 litres a day?
    Where are you in France? I am in the Ardèche department.
    Good to have you on board.
    KiwiWiwi

Hi Slimmersylv

You don’t say how much you weigh but 2.5 stones is a lot of weight so it’s bound to take time. And although I’ve only been on this WOL a week, like you I’m a lifetime dieter and know how disheartening it is when you’re really trying and not getting anywhere but a KiwiWiwi says, you are losing and at a decent rate. If you stick at it you are absolutely bound to lose loads and look amazing on the big day. What’s you absolute deadline for buying the outfit?

Jinkins x

Hi Kiwiwiwi and Jinkins
    Thanks so much for your welcome!
    In answer to the questions, Yes I stick to 500 and then eat normally on up days.
    I haven’t measured but none of my clothes feel looser. I’ll measure this evening.
    No not drinking enough water. Must try harder!
    I’m in the Haute Vienne, nearest city, Limoges. I bought the place to retire to with my husband, but we divorced last December, so I’m here working on it cos I’ll probably have to sell it, it’s too big and the grounds too large for me to manage on my own.
    I weigh 13.3 at the moment ( the heaviest I have ever been and I’ve lost 6 pounds), I’d love to be under 11 stone as I’m only 5ft.2. That would suit me as I don’t want to be too wrinkly! I want to be a size 12 – that would make me sooo happy!
    Beginning of June is the deadline for the outfit – time to get something made if I can’t find anything I really like.
    Thanks very very much for the encouragement both. It means a lot, really.
    xxx

Hi againSlimmersylv
    Have you read the book Alternate day Fasting by James Johnson or the fast diet by Michael Moseley? They answer many questions.The Horizon programme on ADF is still available on BBC iplayer. Have you access to that? It maay be on Youtube too.
    You can find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and your Basal Metabolic rate(BSR) on this site. If you are eating 100 cals less every two days, then that translates into 1 kg per fortnight as a kg of body fat is 77OO cals. Many people experiment with a low carb diet on fast days and this is worth seeing for yourself.
    There is also the question of breakfast. On this site it seems to be considered as not that important.
    What I find is that I drop a kilo or two of weight, plateau, lose. The loss is not constant.
    I don’t know your part of France at all.
    Good luck and don’t lose heart.
    KiwiWiwi XX

Hi Kiwiwiwi
    Thanks for all that info. I have read MM’s book, I have it on my kindle. I haven’t read the one by J J tho. I’ll see if I can find the prog on u tube, I can’t get BBC I player being in France ( unless you know differently?).
    I’m a bit nervous of low carb as I get awful cramp if I don’t eat carbs, then I do (I did Atkins, etc etc before). so I usually have just a few carbs each day.
    I never eat breakfast, I’m never hungry first thing, if I have to I have to force myself!
    I’m right in the middle of France, more or less, very rural, very hilly, lots of lakes. It’s lovely here.
    thanks again for all your help,its great.
    ( sorry for all the errors, I’m using my phone and it’s not working very well!)
    xxx

Hello LOACA

I hope things are going well for you all.
    Beautiful day here in the south of France. We were watching planes flying towards Milano airport across the Alps which are very visible from here today.

Hope it is beautiful in Bourgogne, Femme Anglaise.

Slimmersylv, yes you can watch the BBC. You need to use IP Tunneling. There is one free one I know of called Expat Shield but the spam it gave me was difficult to eliminate. You can also pay. If you google IP Tunneling then you have the choice.

A FD for me today and a walk to the highest mountain around here near the source of the Loire.

Good fasting
    Kiwi

Good morning from sunny France. Just to say so thrilled that after my first 5:2 week I have lost 1 kg (2.2lbs) Yipeeeeeeee. Masses of luck to everyone else who has just started and ‘bon continuation’ to all thoes who are ongoing. I’ll read the books now that they have arrived 🙂 Have a happy weekend.

Bonjour from Burgundy – Like you KiwiWiwi it’s a lovely day here – supposed to reach 81 degrees – I think I’ll keep my walk until late afternoon when it will be cooler.

Ginandtonic2 – whereabouts are you in France – that makes 4 of us now; and well done losing 1kg in your first week.

Welcome Slimmersyl – June is lots of time to lose the weight and you are sure to on the FD, especially if you keep in touch with LOACA. I have lost 1 stone in just over 3 months, and the amazing thing is that it is staying off – I’ve had two lapses in that time when I went to Lake Como for a week, and another when my son and grandson came over from the UK for a holiday – so don’t worry about lapses – we are in control, and can choose our fast days to suit our lifestyle.

I too am here alone (with my lovely cat, Honey) – I’m in south Burgundy and the nearest large town is Macon, and Lyon a bit further away. Sorry to hear about your divorce and that you are having to tackle the house on your own. I came here 3 years ago to be near my daughter who married a frenchman, and my ‘grandgirls’, aged 4 and 6 months. My house is quite small, but still too big for me, and I spent the first 6 months totally renovating it, mostly on my own, which was hard work but enjoyable.

However, after 3 years of living in the heart of the countryside in a rural farming commune, I have decided I want to be somewhere more lively and interesting; and have decided to market my house and move to an old appartment in Macon. I’m so looking forward to being able to pop out for a baguette or a coffee in a nearby cafe, and being able to vist the cinema (large enough to show english-speaking films, which I have missed as I am a great cinema-goer); there are lovely parks and squares and the river Saone runs through the centre – a lovely place to enjoy my walks. It will be a great change and another challenge, but hopefully an enjoyable one.

Jinkins – I hope your 2nd FD went well, do let us know.

My Thursday FD went really well, but yesterday I went a couple of hundred calories over my TDEE as I spent the day with my daughter and girls, and we were out for lunch. Not to worry, I shall reduce today’s TDEE by 200 calories to hopefully balance out the slip-up.

Hope everyone has a good weekend,
    A bientot
    Femme

Hi Kiwi, I’ll check it the IP Tunneling, thanks for the tip.
    Hi Femme, good luck with your house sale! Your plans sound lovely! And how nice you have your daughter and grand girls near you. All my family are in the uk, and I’ve been thinking recently, what am I doing here, really? My life has changed so much and I didn’t want to make any rash decision regarding the house here, but I am definitely coming round to the fact that I need to sell it. It’s an old water mill, 5 bedrooms and large gardens. I do love it here, but I need to get on with my life. I do charity work in Sri Lanka with street children, and I know my daughter will be wanting to start a family pretty soon after her marriage, so I
    need to market this place next year and hopefully it will sell. Then I can go to Sri Lanka until such time as my daughter needs me back in the uk. So that’s my plan.
    It’s lovely to be in touch!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone. XxX

Bonjour from Sunny Sussex!

I’m so pleased – I’ve lost 3 lbs in my first week!
    Femme – my second Fast Day was OK – I went over the calories a bit because I succumbed to a glass of wine I hadn’t been planning for but it has been a week of constant celebrations for my husband’s birthday!
    Well done Ginandtonic2 we’ve both had a great start to this WOL
    I’m very envious of you ladies in France, it’s so beautiful. Femme – I love Macon we’ve stayed there a couple of times on our way South and it’s very pretty. Hope your plans go well.
    Slimmersylv – I’m sure you can make your June deadline. You need to lose 31 lbs and it works out to about 4 lbs a month which is really possible – averaging a lb a week – if you stick at it. And I know this probably isn’t scientifically verified but I think if this is the first time you’ve been this wight it should drop more easily than if it’s been your weight forever.
    Does that make sense??

Enjoy Sunday ladies – I’m planning roast pork with loads of vegetables – my daughter’s home from London for the weekend so it’s lovely to have a traditional Sunday lunch! But I will keep under my magic 1750… Tomorrow’s my next FD – definitely sticking under 500 this time.

Jinkins x

Dear LOACA
    Yes it is funny how there are four of us in France.
    Good to hear about your plans, Femme. I have only once been to Macon.
    Slimmersylv, your place sounds very challenging.
    I live in a 1742 stone house in a mountainous village at 1000 metres.
    I worked for 20 years in Lyon and lived there until about 6 years ago when I decided i had had enough of noise and pollution. This place is 150 km SW of Lyon, about halfway between Le Puy en Velay and Valence. In fact the source of the Loire River is visible from here(Mt Gerbier de Jonc).
    So you spend time in Sri Lanka Slimmersylv. I visited a few years ago while my daughter was doing her Masters practical work with a local NGO in Colombo. I just loved the island. But a few years ago, a group of medical people working for the French NGO ACF were murdered (August 2006 I think). This really upset me as I was at the time working for a humanitarian training school in Lyon and we had close links to ACF.I would love to visit that country again.
    Good to hear about the 3lbs, Jinkins. I love Sunday roasts, but somehow never make them.i love Sundays in the UK to eat a roast.

I am losing weight again. I plateaued but the scales are going down again.
    I have lost 10cm off my waist altogether and my body fat is down to 40% from 50%.
    We will eat soe roasted fresh chestnuts tonight. They are everywhere.

Keep up the good work, LOACA
    XX KiwiWiwi

Dear LOACA – I need some help….I started the 5:2 at the end of August and am having quite a slow but gradual weight loss – I think about 6 or 7 pounds so far and I would like to lose 10 more pounds…I have to work shifts and am now doing early shifts – 6am-2pm. This means I have had my breakfast (a weetabix with milk) at 5am – and then go to work – and then home by 3pm (by which time i have had my 500 cals..) as I have two schoolage children I am then making their tea and I go to bed at a normalish time….I am finding it hard not to eat more than 500 cals on these days and I don’t want to sabotage my FD… Have any of you had similar experience? And do you have any suggestions as to what I could do when I am on the earlies? I can’t afford to make a mistake on my job so I need to eat some of the day’s allowance. Do you understand FD to mean a full 24 hours?
    Hope you are all well – posting this is taking my mind of eating! 🙂

Hi Femme Anglaise – and all too numerous to mention.

I haven’t posted much as we have a big house extension project which has been taking up an awful lot of time. How are things with you Femme? Half term is coming up here, any grandchildren coming to stay? I have started a French for Beginners course, now half way through. It is very slow, maybe I should have taken the next grade as I remember more than I thought I would from my schooldays! Anyway it is giving me confidence to open my mouth, so that’s progress. How is it going for you? So lucky to be in the country, I swear if it wasn’t for the grandkids I would be there in a shot.

I am delighted to say that I bought a top in Fat Face the other day and – wait for it – it’s a size 10! Now there’s no way I’m a size 10 and their tops do come out big, but I may just be edging into a 12 which is unknown since before I got married xxx years ago.

So have faith ladies – if I can do it you certainly can. Just keep on keeping on.

Bon jour LOACAs
    Bien fait mon ami Cheesey! Accept it says size 10 and it fits!!! Fantastic. I’m sure you look lovely. Ah, to be able to just pop over to France without the 23 hour flight. Cheers all P

Hi Cheeseplease

That’s great news and a good boost for your moral. The rail in my wardrobe fell down yesterday so I decided its time to pack away my size 14 trousers in favour of the size 12! Keep going.

Ali

Hi Caroline

You will no doubt receive many replies as we are all different. I haven’t worked shift in years.

For breakfast. My suggestion would be to have black tea or coffee, with just a smidge of milk if you need it. No sugar. Plus an egg of some sort or some salmon. Protein gives energy and does not add as many calories. Then you will have at least 300 calories left for dinner time.

I take a fast day to mean 36 hours to maximise the effect and to assist with weight loss. My fast day goes from 8 pm Sunday night until 7.30 am Tuesday morning. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Carolinejane

It’s ok to go over by jusrpt a few calories, have you thought of making a vegetable soup. You could get a substantial bowlful for just a few calories. Have you looked at our recipe thread?

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-loaca-recipe-thread/#post-46567

Welcome and good luck,

Ali

Hi Carolinejane
    Bayleaf’s suggestion of an egg breakfast gives about 80 cals and maybe 130 with a small slice of toast or made as ‘eggy bread’. A small can of plum tomatoes on a single slice of Hovis Nimble is about 100 cals. That’s a good breakfast too. Plenty of hot drinks throughout the day and an apple or pear as a snack leaves a good few calories spare for a good dinner!
    Hope these suggestions are a help 🙂
    Lizzypb

Hi Carolinejane

It must be really hard to do a FD on shifts. I am finding mine getting easier but I always make sure I don’t have to do anything serious on those days – not so easy for you! Yesterday was my FD and I made a big pan of cabbage soup which had almost no calories and I used that for the whole day – would it be possible to take a veggie soup and take it in a flask and have some during your shift instead of tea or coffee? Then you’d have enough calories left to have a reasonable meal in the evening. Also totally agree with Bayleafoz – an egg is a great start to your day, filling and protein but few calories.
    Hope you find they get easier – good luck.

Jinkins x

Thanks for all the tips on helping me through the early shift – My next early is Thurs and I am going to try Bayleaf’s suggestion of an egg for breakfast. The soup idea is also really good and thanks AliH for the recipe thread. Jinkins I have been looking at those soup flasks in Lakeland and I think I will get one because my job is quite sedentary and it would be easy to sip soup! And also Lizzypopbottle I forgot about eggy bread – yum. I am writing this very quickly as my German in-laws are about to arrive to stay with us – they will think fasting is a very strange thing to do so I will try to be discreet!! Well done on the size 10 Cheeseplease – I am dreaming of getting back into a size 10!! I will let you know how the egg breakfast goes – aggh Germans have arrived!

Hi ladies, i am also perimenopausal. I am a big eater and a big wine drinker. I am very active, but i know I eat too much. I started alternate day fasting 2 wks ago and haven’t weighed myself yet bc Im giving myself time to adjust to it. The first day was hell, but just finishing up my 3rd fast day and I find it a piece of cake. Im not a big person and am very healthy, but just want to lose the 20 lbs I’ve gained the last 2yrs. Im doing adf and not 5:2 as i do like to eat. I do see a little bit of change, not much, but i haven’t been exercising. Tomorrow i will start exercising again and curbing my nonfast days and I do expect results. My goal is to do 5:2 as a lifestyle once i reach my target weight. Good luck to everyone out there and don’t quit. think of all the health benefits 🙂

Good luck suzyqueue,
    Permanent weight loss takes time and effort and a lifelong commitment. Make sure that you’re ready to make permanent changes and that you do so for the right reasons.

On my fourth FD and have just made a huge pan of cauliflower soup to keep me going all day. Off to Pilates later and planning salmon and broccoli for supper. So far I’m not finding the two FD’s too difficult – and it’s very easy to plan my week so that I don’t have social stuff which will derail me! I am in awe of the ADF and 4:3 fasters – I think I’d find that too hard. Have a good day everybody………

Jinkins xxx

Bonjour LOACA and nice to hear from Cheeseplease again – hope the extension went well – what have you added? Like you when I started learning french again I was surprised by how much I could remember. Half-term here too (they get two weeks here); I am off to see my grandson, Max, on Nov. 1st for a week – it’s also his other gran’s surprise 60th birthday which will no doubt be an excuse to indulge. Congratulations on your size 10, you must be on or near target.

Suzyqueue – welcome and congratulations on a good start. I’ve been 5:2ing for almost 4 months and have lost 1st 2lbs – slow but sure. For the time being I’m staying with the 5:2; a lot of people maintain on a 6:1 regime and I hope it won’t be too long before I am there.

Jinkins – it’s a FD for me too after a rather indulgent day yesterday on a trip to Lyon with my daughter; I also baked Madeleines with my grandgirls, and ate too many of them! But, as we know the FD is flexible and I won’t beat myself up about it, especially as it was such a lovely day. Like you I feel the 4:3 sounds a step too far for me.

KiwiWiwi – I thought of you when we were in Lyon and I agree it is a very busy and noisy place, and driving there is horrendous – Macon is such a tranquil place in comparison. Have a good journey next week and please keep in touch. If you are having ‘FD fatigue’ why not have a break, especially during your move and start again once you are settled in. It’s definitely cooler now in Burgundy, so I’ll be thinking of you in the sunshine again.

Have a good day everyone,
    A bientot
    Femme

Bonjour all!
    It’s weigh day for me and I am absolutely thrilled to have lost my target 2lbs this week! (on 4:3) and I got all fed up on Sunday and had a bit of a blow out, but Thanks to you girls, got myselfl back on track! ‘Only’ another 2 stone to go!
    Well done to everyone – stick at it!
    A bientot from sunny Lauriere
    XxX

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.