HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,001 through 4,050 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi bat liner

I agree with amazon, use this site to work out your TDEE and then look at your calourie intake. Watch portion sizes as I found that I ate too many carbs, I know eat low GI carbs- wholemeal flour/pasta and brown rice, they keep you feeling full for longer. Do look on our other thread for recipe ideas to keep you from feeling bored with same old meals.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-loaca-recipe-thread/#post-46567

Ali x

“It always used to be taken for granted that around the menopause and thereafter women would turn into podgy, grey-haired grandma-like figures; it was expected and accepted.”

Do you mean something like this – the Beeb’s visualisation of women OVER 55, for Pete’s sake?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26654759

If they were referring to people in their 90s they might have a point, but even that wouldn’t be fair as many very mature women continue to be as stylish as they were in their younger days. A friend’s mother in her 90s and suffering from dementia, a woman who had always had excellent taste in clothes, would daily have a moment of lucidity when it came to choosing what to wear.

I’m probably quite a bit older than some of these ladies but I sure as hell don’t look like any of them. Even if we are overweight – something we are all trying to remedy – and may have health issues, there’s no reason we should surrender to the passing years as they appear to have done. It seems like an easy way of copping out of life.

What’s the betting that the vast majority of the lovely, enlightened women posting on the forum don’t have blue rinses and pensioner perms and don’t dress in shapeless frumpy pastels, but continue to make the very best of what they have?

Hello Ladies; I’m new to this forum. I am 65 going on 66. I found reference to this WOE a couple of months ago on a retirement forum unrelated to diet and lifestyle and viewed the Michael Mosely BBC documentary. I was impressed and at a point where I and DH needed/wanted to take off weight. The other benefits of the 5:2 lifestyle also appealed to us. I am from the US so my stats are all in pounds.

Long story short is we started 5:2 on July 17th. I weighed 171.5 at the time. I have felt post child bearing years that my ideal weight is 143-145. I’m 5′ 9″ so the 145 does not look like too much and I feel downright skinny at that weight.

So DH and I started this new WOE and love it. We actually look forward to fast days, crazy as that sounds. We have become fanatical about it all. We also instituted other changes. We have imposed a low carb regimen on ourselves. We try to stay away from everything white: bread( I love good artisanal bread), pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar. At one other point in my life when I needed to take off weight, the low carb diet was very successful for me and I managed to stay at or near my goal weight for many years after that. Another change we made is we stepped up our exercise regimen. Of the 66 days we have been on the diet, I have stepped onto the treadmill 63 days and walked for an hour( brisk walk-no running). DH has done the same. It’s a grind. I have to do it first thing in the AM in order that I don’t find an excuse to skip it.

So now to our results. Drumroll please!!!!!…….. I have lost 18 pounds in 9 weeks. And DH has as well. I am now at 153. DH has dropped to 179.5. We are positively elated.

I just thought I’d share our success and hope that I can contribute to the forum. I suspect the next 10 will be the hardest.

Go Ladies. We can do this.

Hi SeekingSvelte

I am impressed with you and your other half, it is easier when you fast with someone else. Wish I could exercise daily like you but I have just started hot yoga and love it.

Ali x

Hi Femme

I don’t think we do ourselves any favours if we expect or want to be as slim in our 50s and 60s as we might have been in our teens and twenties. I’m not saying you want that, by the way. I was 8st 2lb (114lb/51.7kg) at 18 yrs old (nicknamed ‘Twiggy’!) I’m happy to have lost a stone on 4:3 and feel really good. I reckon I look better than I would if I lost two stones more and got back to my younger days. I’d be scrawny and thin and my skin wouldn’t fit me! In fact, I reckon I looked better when I was a stone heavier than I would if I was back at my 18 year old size.

I’m on levothyroxine, like you, but I’ve never had any weight loss from taking it, even though I was originally put on it only as a precaution because of a family history. I’ve heard that stick thin models take it to stay skinny but they have healthy levels to start with. Too much thyroxine isn’t good. They may well regret it one day. However, it’s not good that your endocrinologist made that rather dismissive comment. He ought to be encouraging you. We will encourage you instead!

Anyway, keep going, Femme! Results are faster for some of us but we WILL all get there if we persevere!

Lizzypb

@seekingsvelte hi I just saw your post and wanted to congratulate you to your (and your DH’s) success. it is so wonderful that you both seem to enjoy it, which makes me think that the next 10 weeks are not going to be so hard for you after all. Even if you should slow down a little there is no rush as long as the weight does not move up but generally down. You have lost 2 lbs per week but even 1lb per week from now on would be super.
    WELL DONE!!!

Hi AliH61; Thanks for your post. Yes I have the time to walk 3.5 miles per day, a luxury many don’t have, but hot yoga is great even if you can’t do it daily. What yoga does for you physically and emotionally is immeasurable. I took gentle yoga for a while and enjoyed it tremendously. I’m thinking of getting back into it. And yes, having a buddy right in the house helps to keep us both on track.

Lichtle; Thanks for your comment. I’m sure you are right about the last 10 pounds. I’ll get to prove that this week as DH and I travelled to Boston yesterday to visit our DS and his GF and dined at a big steak house where the portions are gargantuan. I managed to bring home half of my ribeye and didn’t leave too stuffed, but the 4 of us did split a chocolate lava desert portion, complete with ice cream and caramel sauce, the first sweet I’ve had since starting 5:2. Oh well. At least it’s a fast day today.

Oh and I’ve sort of dived into this forum and don’t know anyone’s back stories, so pardon if I appear oblivious or uninformed. It seemed like the right place for me to post.

Here’s to a good week to everyone.

Bravo Seeking Svelte!!! You have inspired me to get back on that exercise kick!! I am 45 by the way, but due to pains and aches I have become very still!!!

Hi Mandi; It is a grind. My little secret is to have a TV stationed directly in front of the treadmill so that I can zone out for an hour, while I’m walking. It also helps that the treadmill is in my home, so another hurdle overcome. It certainly can be done however and I think the exercise is definitely what enabled me to lose 2 lbs per week so consistently, rather than perhaps just one pound.

Good Luck. One day at a time.

Hi SeekingSvelte

I will def need my relaxing yoga tomorrow as I work in a school and we have the first day of our OFSTED inspection tomorrow!

Ali x

Hi Mandl

I know the feeling, I have a treadmill in the garage collecting dust!, I used to use it three times a week and do a light run or go out for a 3 mile walk and also did Zumba twice a week. However due to a worn hip I’ve stopped Zumba, far too stressful on my joint, and started hot yoga instead. But now must see Dr to check on state of my joint :(. Unfortunately bad hips run in the family.

Ali x

Hi Ali
    OMG good luck with Ofsted!
    BB x

HI Ladies,
    I’m 46 and heading on into pre-menopause after having 10 kids. I’ve been doing a loose paleo diet for over two years and haven’t had any weight loss with that. At the beginning of the year my diabetic hubby was diagnosed with coeliacs as well so the GF side of it is much easier.

The weight came on after the 7th child even with bf’ing each for well over year each. I’ve not managed to budge an inch in 8 yrs. Health wise I am really good according to my last blood test. So I have added 5:2 to see if I can get rid of the 40kg of extra weight I really don’t need. Second fast ends tomorrow morning. I’m not finding it much of an issue to do although I do get a bit testy when dh sits next to me with a meal I can’t have(last night he got fish and chips, not that I really eat chips or anything with batter).

I was struggling with working out how many calories I need a day but since figured that if I work out how many I need for the weight I want to be and eat like I am that size then that’s a good start. So I have dropped my DI down to 1600 from 1800 which I have been on for a few months.

Here’s hoping for better weight loss over summer, wish me luck.

@minihaha Well first of all, congratulations – 10 kids that is phantastic. You are truly a champion. Welcome here in this forum and I wish you all the success to lose whatever you want to lose. Wonderful that you are in great shape no health problems and that you don’t find the fasting too much of a problem.

I agree with you to be cautious about what you put into the tracker expecially activity wise. I have set my tracker to “sedentary” even though I walk about 50 minutes briskly each day. All these calculations are estimates since everyone is different, so it is better IMO to “underestimate” on activity levels which at best helps with quicker weight loss. Remember as you lose weight to keep checking on new TDEE. All the best.

Thanks for the welcome.
    My business/hobby is spinning and knitting so I have to make an effort to exercise. Unfortunately my phones pedometer doesn’t register how many treadles I do on my spinning wheel 🙁 I do do 30mins 3 times a week on my treadmill and will be adjusting the regime when I have had a gander at the fast exercise book when it arrives. Coming into summer I’ll be swimming more too when it’s hot so that’ll help with the whole exercise thing. I am very cautious about my expectations of exercise etc adding up to losing weight as I know doing one of those boot camp things won’t work for me so I want to sort my eating out instead. As we’re all realizing, we eat way too much in the western world so cutting the quantity to the amount we actually need is the way to go. None of my children are overweight so I blame a lot of my problems on my upbringing. Being bought up in the days when you had to eat everything dished onto you plate and waste not want not.

I want to make sustainable lifestyle changes rather than get caught in a yoyo cycle. As for the change, well I have hot flushes and what was once regular is no longer reliable with huge gaps or way too frequent so I am hoping all that will cease, sooner rather than later. My family is unable to give me information on their final cycle so I have no idea on what to expect so I am trying to remember what things were like in the beginning with the thinking that it’ll probably be similar in reverse.

Hi all – I am in menopause and hating it – especially the sudden weight gain.
    I understand from doing the biosignature regimen that no matter what I do, if I am not sleeping properly and addressing the hormonal issues I can forget about losing weight.

I am starting this diet today in desperation as I cannot afford to continue the biosignature – far too expensive! There has to be a simpler way! I am hoping the 5:2 is it!

Some things I have learned:
    use only organic non-chemical soaps, shampoo, make-up
    never heat food in plastic, never use a microwave
    keep food in glass, drink only filtered water and from a steel bottle
    work on getting proper sleep above all else
    use a sauna regularly to detox through your skin
    try to keep your food organic, free range/chemical free as much as you can afford.

I look forward to supporting and being supported!

I am so glad to find this thread because I have just started the diet. I am sixty four and post menopause, and can tell you it is natural for your waist to spread as a result of menopause. Other things slow you down as you age, in my case osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease in my spine due to a very active life in my earlier years, and you lose energy too – so that is another reason to put on weight until you change your diet. I used to laugh at my old parents eating crackers and cheese for dinner but now I understand totally, you lose your appetite too. I should follow the advice of their generation and “eat only when you are hungry, and only enough to stop feeling hungry”. It is why that generation and the ones before it did not have a problem with obesity, in fact my parents thought it was bad manners to do otherwise.I have seven kilos to lose now because I love cooking and eating – at least cooking everything from scratch means I know what I’m eating (too much sugar). This is my first diet day and so far I don’t feel hungry – but I do have a neat stomach filler if I need it – I make an egg nog in the microwave with skim milk, an egg and fresh nutmeg. I find it will keep me full for five hours because I am not overly active now. However it is great to find more advice here. Thanks.

Hi,

I am in menopause and have lost 17lbs in six weeks. I had to be really careful with the calories and run 2 miles three days per week. I did find one really nice side effect- I have far fewer hot flashes when I am fasting.

Hi all,

New to the group here, but not new to being over 50 with weight to lose. I am about 50 pounds more than where I want to be. Stress, antidepressants and emotional eating have brought me to this place.

In a couple of weeks I am getting my photo taken for this nice community award. My photo will be in a lot of places for people to see and yet all I can feel is embarrassed and ashamed for looking the way I do. I am too late to change for the photo but it is certanly a wake up call.

I have done the 16/8 fairly easily as I am an early morning girl and am not hungry after 3:30 pm and sleep much better on an empty stomach. I see that people combine it with the 5/2. I am good with absolutes like no eating after a certain time and then something happens to mess my schedule up and then I am back at square 1. I am committing now to doing the 16/8 together with the 5/2. I will post updates and also look forward to reading the progress of others. 🙂

Bonjour all LOACA, past and present – hope those who no longer post on this thread are continuing with the FD and enjoying improved health, etc.

I’ve just read through the last week’s post and here are my thoughts:

Lizzypb – your post to me was really appreciated – and when I weighed myself yesterday I had lost 2 lbs! It has been weeks since there was any change, but your words of encouragement kept me positive. So overall I have lost 12 lbs over the past 3 months – having had a week at Lake Como and a break when my son and grandson from the UK came to stay. My conclusion is that the 5:2 FD does work – it might take longer than other diets but the gradual loss seems to be staying off – can’t say better than that.

Other diets I have followed have always been so restrictive – trying to stick to 1200 calories a day – on the 5:2 my current allowance is 500 on the FDs, and then 1800 on the other days – an average of 1400 calories/day over the week. I actually find the FD days easier to manage than the 1800/days – on my FD days I stick to proteins and vegetables/fruits, but on the remaining days I tend to eat ‘normally but healthily’ with the occasional biscuit or piece of bread. Sometimes I find the ‘treats’ set me off on a binge; but I am gradually learning to deal with these times and they happen less often now.

Capertree – welcome – and please give me your recipe for the ‘egg nogs’ which sound delicious. I hope all is going well for you on the 5:2;

Singadiva – welcome also, I read your post with great interest and look forward to learning more, particularly what is the ‘biosignature regimen’? Also on a note of interest I only learned recently that when we reach the peri-menopause stage we should reduce our daily calorie intake by 250 to help combat the ‘middle age spread’; too late for me at 62! Good luck with the 5:2;

Margaux – welcome welcome, and good luck with the 5:2. Congratulations on your up-coming community award – do tell us what you have done to achieve this. About the photo – don’t let how you feel about the way you currently look spoil your special day – bask in the limelight. Take special care with your hair, makeup and what you wear (as I’m sure you always do) and smile. Let us know how your day goes.

Just had a thought about exercising – I’ve read lots about zumba, running, cycling, etc. and commitments to do so much every day. I’m a great believer in doing what you enjoy and not doing it because you feel you ought to. Again, it’s like following a rigid diet – you can manage it for so long and then fall by the wayside. These days my form of exercise is taking 3 brisk 60 min walks per week (my pace is around 120 steps per minute which makes me a little breathless, depending on the incline), morning sessions of yoga (usually several ‘salutes to the sun’ which awaken every muscle and leave me refreshed and ready to tackle the day), and spending lots of time with my lovely grandgirls (aged 4 and 6 months) who definitely keep me active – currently I am enjoying hopscotch and hoolahooping and it’s wonderful.

Right I’m off for one of my walks – the day is lovely and hot (still in the high 70’s here in Burgundy) but the leaves are definitely turning golden and red now so must enjoy the warm days while they last. However, I am looking forward to the frostier days when I can light my woodburning stove.

A bientot
    Femme

Hi Femme – a blast from the past! I am not posting so much these days, but am pleased with my progress. You sound so positive and happy, I don’t think any of us should knock ourselves out if progress is slow – weight loss is weight loss no matter how long it takes. I have lost over a stone since I started in early June, reducing carbs is doing the trick for me.

Sounds like you are having a lovely time with your grand girls, I wish they didn’t grow up so quickly.

I have started French lessons so that I don’t feel such a dumb cluck on our future visits to France in our “camping car”!

Take care.

Bon nuit 🙂

CP

Bonjour Cheeseplease – it’s so lovely hearing from you and I’m pleased to hear that you are still on the 5:2 which is obviously working for you.

I know what you mean about my grandgirls – they do grow so quickly – it seems only days since Chloe was born in 2010, and my memories of my daughter, who is 34, seem so clear. Chloe is very much like her french father, with a definite ‘french’ look, but Lea is a duplicate of her mum at the same age – pale blue eyes and lovely blonde hair (and a strong personality already shining through!)

Good luck with your french lessons – I’m studying by Rosetta Stone (now on level 4 of 5) and while I still struggle with the locals my ears are more tuned to the accent, and I enjoy listening to their conversations in my favourite cafe.

Time to enjoy the sunshine and do a bit of pruning so a bientot,

Femme

Bonjour – it’s another FD but I am keeping busy getting my house ready to go on the market; this is definitely keeping my mind off food. Hope all those fasting today are having a good day.

Just had a break and cup of rooibos tea, and came across an article about an Australian study about bread – apparently ‘new research reveals bread isn’t the cause of weight gain’ and wholegrain bread has fibre, B vitamins, magnesium and iron – all vital for a healthy body.

According to the survey:

28% of women love the taste of bread but avoid it because of weight concerns;

43% avoid bread when trying to lose weight;

20% feel guilty when eating bread;

58% believe that eating bread contributes to weight gain.

A significant quote from the article was: ‘Large studies of populations show that people who have higher intakes of whole grain foods, such as whole grain breads, are less likely to be overweight or gain weight over time’.

Living in France, I know that I shall never give up a just-baked warm baguette with a knob of local butter!

A bientot
    Femme

Hello I am also a lady of a certain age – 50 to be exact – and this is the first post I have ever made. Ever. I started the Fast Diet about 4 weeks ago as I would really like to lose about a stone and get back to a healthier me! I am not finding the not-eating so difficult (to my amazement) but I find after a fast day I wake up REALLY early – 2.30/3am and can not get back to sleep. I also suffer from a dull nagging headache during the 2nd fast day – and I make sure I drink enough. I’ve lost about 4 pounds over the last 4 weeks so it seems to be working….does anyone have any tips about the early waking or does anyone else have a similar experience? I really like your forum and enjoy reading all the posts – so have overcome shyness and forum-phobia to join in 🙂

Hello Carolinejane
    Welcome to the FD. Yes I was sleepless sometimes on fast days. But after a while no. Headaches are common too. Have you read Michael Moseley’s Fast Diet book? He talks about headaches.
    It’s great that you are not finding the fast days too bad.
    I have been on this FD for 3 months now and believe it or not, I like the fast days. In fact I am doing alternate day fasts – 7 per 2 weeks.
    This thread has helped me a lot. In fact reading the threads with a cup of tea or coffee is an interesting way to spend some time on Fast days, if you have the time.
    It’s bedtime here in France, so good night.
    KiwiWiwi

Hi to all LOACA
    I’m away from home visiting my pregnant daughter but reading all the posts on my phone. I’ve tried twice to reply on this thread using my phone but both times my post disappeared into the ether and was never seen again. Anyone know why that should be?

Anyway, Caroline, I also wake up around 2.30am following a fasting day! It’s really annoying but I read for a while and usually get back to sleep in time.

Femme – I’m glad you found my post of some time ago useful.

I’ll be travelling home next week after I’ve attempted my next karate grading exam (4th dan) on Saturday. I’m not fasting this week to conserve energy for the test but I’ll be back on the wagon from Monday. 17lb down after about 12 weeks. I’m on 5:2 now but the 4:3 gave me a great kick start.

Remember, when you’re stuck, giving up is easy. Anyone can give up. It takes guts and determination to keep going.

Lizzypb

Morning LOACA forum – Thank you for welcoming me Kiwiwiwi and Lizzypopbottle – it is good to know I am not the only early riser. This morning it’s 4am so a slight improvement! I am a bit disappointed as I have gained half a pound. Boo hoo. But I won’t give up. I am dreaming of being slim again. Lizzypb – how did you manage to lose 17lb in 12 weeks? I am not sure I could do 4:3 – as I have 2 kids (aged 11 and 9) and a fulltime job. Thank you too KiwiWiwi for the tip about Michael Moseley’s book and the headache section, I will take it to work & read during my coffee break. Have a lovely day everyone. Carolinejane
    PS: Is anyone else taking HRT? I started it about 3 months ago and it has really helped me with hot flushes and before the 5:2 it helped with my sleep which was broken by the flushes….Do you think that HRT also makes it harder/slower to lose weight? (Apart from the biscuits of course….)

I’m fairly new to this – completed my 4th fast day yesterday. Weigh in day is a Wednesday, but I’m probably losing about a pound a week. At 54 I’m peri-menopausal/menopausal and already overweight, so really need to lose the excess. OH is slim, fit and can eat almost what he likes. However, he is supportive & we have both decided to cut out as many foods containing added sugar as possible. Not too difficult as I love cooking, but surprised by where we are finding it – why does coleslaw need added sugar?
    I still find the fast days a challenge, but they are getting easier. I hit on making a home-made veggie soup as one meal, under 150 calories. Gives me a few more to play with in the evening and means that I can just cook one meal for the 2 of us, but bulk his out with carbs and a bigger piece of protein.
    I now need to get the exercise sorted – getting back into cycling again.

Hi Tigger, if you love cooking, then you won’t mind prepping food that doesn’t need to be cooked so why don’t you take a few minutes to make your own coleslaw. If you have a food processor it will be even quicker, and the flavour is far superior to anything you can buy. For the dressing I use natural yoghurt, seasoning, a tsp of mustard and some lemon juice, and occasionally I’ll add a tblsp of mayonnaise if I have any.
    I am amazed and horrified at the number of processed foods or ready made dishes that contain sugar, it is unnecessary and just turns people into sugar addicts.
    I have turned into a label reader when I go shopping, and have been surprised at the number of items that I used to buy that now remain on the supermarket shelf. This WOE is a real eye opener.

Thanks Amazon. Great idea – I’ve made coleslaw before, but always used bought mainly mayonnaise, again added sugar! Think I’ll try it with yoghurt instead. OH has started baking bread (by hand) again after seeing the sugar in commercial bread. That’s a big plus because his bread is yummy. (Only have one slice a day on non-fast days though). We also have turned into label readers.

One thing that this WOE does is make us all aware of exactly what we are eating, and from personal experience and reading other comments, it changes what we want to eat for the better.

Good Morning everyone….I am 72, and after watching the 5.2 fast diet on the TV, purchased the book, read it, and started on Monday…..I found the fast day easy, having nothing from the Sunday from 6.30pm, 500 calories broken down to 2 meals on the Monday….now, eating healthy foods, so interesting to see how I go….I like the idea of getting rid of the visceral fat, plus losing the kilos…..it’s only day 3 today, but I have great expectations…..

Femme, and everyone else, thanks for the great greeting. The picture I am having taken is in recognition of some volunteer work I have done with new residents of the country. (Australia) I am determined to look as good as I can and try to see myself as being a good person despite my weight issues. As a reminder, I am starting with the 16/8. I find I eat less that way and eat better quality. I am a morning eater so stop at 3:30 pm. I am the opposite of people who eat breakfast and say they are hungrier during the day. If I eat at super time, I don’t sleep as well and am hungrier in the morning than I am if I stop eating at 3:30. Weird.

Just wondering if anyone has a tasty, creamy, not so full of calories, salad dressing. I am using a homemade one now that has mayo, yogurt, anchovies and so is rather tasty but a little high in calories as I tend to use a lot of it. Many thanks for anyone who can assist with that.

I am wondering what people think of a challenge to join. So basically, we challenge ourselves to something for a period of time. My challenge would be to drink less. I don’t drink a lot, but drink often so maybe one a day which I would rather limit to 2 on the weekend. It is the beginning of the month so a good time to set a challenge up for the next month. 🙂

Morning everyone – I think a challenge is a good idea Margeaux – My weakness is not alcohol but sweet things especially biscuits…..On non-fast days I think I am under the illusion they are calorie-free…..so maybe I need to cut down/limit them or maybe even cut them out completely (and not replace them with cake!) My weight loss is infuriatingly slow but I feel slimmer even if it is not reflected on the scales. Do others think it is really more difficult to lose weight over 50? Or do we (me!) just move less and therefore find it harder? Does anyone else take HRT? I have just started it (3 months ago) as I was getting quite bad hot flushes affecting my sleep etc. Wish me luck with fasting today – off to work for a 7am-3pm shift……. 🙂

I don’t think it is more difficult to lose weight over 50, but our bad habits are more ingrained and tougher to break, and most of us are less active then when we were younger.

I don’t buy biscuits or snacks of any description as I have no control once I start eating them.

A good challenge would be to increase the amount of exercise you do by 5 minutes per day. It could be anything from getting off the bus a stop earlier to a burst of high interval training. I’ve just bought a pedometer so I can track and increase how many steps I take.

Good morning everyone. Another fast day today. I’m getting more organised now & making sure that I have the right food available for fasts – white fish, plenty of veggies. This will only be my 5th, & I still find it a bit tough, but the weight does seem to be shifting.
    Amazon – I made coleslaw last night, at a fraction of the cost of buying it ready made. Good – but I haven’t quite got the yoghurt/mayo proportions right yet. We both enjoyed it though.

Home made is almost always better once you get the proportions right, and it is always cheaper. Coleslaw is also good with a vinaigrette type dressing, and you can get away with a scant tablespoon of oil of your choice.
    I’m experimenting with making low calorie dressings and I have to say, some of them have been a DISASTER!
    I made a Thai style dipping sauce the other day and cut the calories right down by using stevia rather than sugar, and it tasted very good with crab cakes.

Hello LOACA
    I have been absent for a few days and I am amazed at the number of threads.
    I am taking stock at the end of 3 months on this WOE and I have lost 10kg (22lbs). I went to my doctors to get the blood tests as suggested by Michael Moseley for cholestrol and fasting glucose. My doctor was just fascinated by our FD. He is a little overweight and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him slimmer next time because he is trying it. He had never seen what our WOE can do before.
    We were in Paris for 3 days, and we walked about 30km. I could never have done that 3 months ago. I also ran for a bus which was leaving and caught it! All those little things are easier. I feel empowered!
    Yesterday we went through Burgundy by TGV, Femme. The autumn lighting was beautiful or so I judged from a train going at 250km/hr.People say that in Burgundy every hill has either a castle or a monastery on it. It seems to have some truth.
    Back to fast today- a pile of veges and not much more.
    I have had to buy some new clothes and I have gone another size down and I plan to be in them at the beginning of November when we change hemispheres to have another summer.
    Onwards, downwards
    KiwiWiwi

emmbee

What an example to us all.
    I am newly an octogenarian and have only just started the 5.2 diet.
    We had a stressful time recently and there’s nothing worse than stress for adding to weight gain because of ‘comfort eating’.
    The energy slump, for me anyway, is due to the fact that I am awake and up from 6.30 am onwards. This means we have to record any programme I like that starts at 9.00pm as I fall asleep before the end of it.
    I have just started weekly yoga classes and find them very helpful and enjoyable.
    I’m enjoying the challenge of finding interesting ways of sticking to 500 cals.
    Today it was Breakfast: boiled egg.
    Lunch: Soup
    Dinner pork chop, mushrooms and broccoli.
    Snacks grapes and/or kiwi fruit
    Drinks… flavoured still water 1 calorie per 250 ml
    plus herbal tea and decaff coffee.

Hello – KiwiWiwi your post really cheered me up and Wicken I am really impressed and like you I am fairly new to this. I think I need to get a bit more organised and make a homemade tasty low cal soup in advance as I have been having packets of cuppa soup (easier for work) but they are not that nice and for some reason at work stay rather powdery!! talking of work – it turns out that about six other female colleagues are all doing this too which is nice as we are comparing notes and supporting one another. We are all doing it on the same days too…I did not have a headache the day after the fast day this time either – I did a bit of googling and took some advice which suggested having a bowl of cereal the night before a fast day. it could be a coincidence but it seems to have worked. I didn’t wake up super early either. Does anyone have a good recipe for a low cal healthy veggie soup? KiwiWiwi I can’t wait to buy some new clothes but I am not there yet!! I didn’t lose any weight this week – but did not gain either…any tips?

Carolinejane, I often make veggie soup on a fast day. Whatever veggies I’ve got (recently carrots, broccoli & onion) weigh them (I put my fast day food into myfitnesspal) add a stock cube and cover with water. Boil for around 20mins & then blitz with a hand blender. I really enjoy it and even a large bowlful is only around 100 calories.
    I’m still getting myself organised. Thursday FD is fine – lots of veggies & white fish or chicken in the house. Monday – often struggling to find the right food without going shopping. OH is not doing this, so I’m making him larger portions and adding some carbs. Fortunately we’re busy both evenings, with no food available, so once we’ve had an evening meal it’s not too difficult to keep going.

Bonjour all LOACA – another week has passed so time for a catch-up.

Margaux – your idea about us having a challenge is a good one, but for me my challenge has to be just to stick to the fast days – I’ve missed 4 over the past 3 months but still managed to lose one stone (6 kg) which I am thrilled with; 2 stones (12 kg) to go. Apart from the weight loss I am regaining my flat stomach – I’ve always done yoga and pilates so my muscles are still quite strong (for 62). Another positive change is my taste for sweet things has definitely altered; yesterday I baked a Victoria Sponge cake for my neighbours as a thank you and only had a half teaspoon of the mix as it seemed unpleasantly sweet – previously I would have saved a tablespoon to enjoy. My tastebuds are definitely being re-educated;

KiwiWiwi – lucky you being in Paris – when I visit one of my treats is to have tea and a patisserie at Laduree on the Champs Elysee, and to leave with a box of their delicious macarons! Also lucky you are de-camping for a sunny winter, New Zealand I think. Enjoy. I’ll be staying here in Burgundy which does have some very bitter wintry days, but shall be spending Christmas in the UK with all the family – it will be the first time in many years that we will all be together;

Wicken01 – welcome and I loved reading that an octogenarian is joining the FD – such a positive role model;

Lizzypb – how did your 4th dan go yesterday? When is your daughter’s baby due? My latest grandgirl is only 6 months old and such a delight – it’s such a special time for grandmas and I treasure every moment with her;

Lorraine5 – also welcome to you – do let us know how you are finding the FD;

Carolinejane – welcome and good luck with the FD. About HRT – I started on it at 51 and when I moved to France in 2011 my UK GP had told me to wean myself off it. Within two weeks of doing that the symptoms returned. Fortunately, around that time I had an appointment with a French gynaecologist who was ‘shocked’ when I told her that I had come off the HRT, and immediately put me back on – and within a fortnight I felt me again, and shall continue to take it for the forseeable future.

Regarding how HRT affects weight loss – I’ve not noticed any difference either way and feel that it does not affect my ability to lose weight. (As previously mentioned I am also being treated for hypothyroidism which was the main cause of my weight gain as it went untreated for a number of years – now my levels seem to be constant and my weight is slowly coming down – a stone in 3 months). From beginning to take the HRT at 51 (and all through my 50’s) my weight was where I wanted it to be, and then around 60 my thyroid stopped working, etc.

Time to enjoy a coffee and then a walk in the sunshine – I’m making the most of the sunny autumn days while they last.

A bientot,
    Femme

Femme,
    I’m afraid I’ve slipped up a little after a good start.
    My husband isn’t ‘doing the diet’ . As I really like cooking I’ve been doing my usual ‘tweak’ here and ‘tweak’ there to make it more appetising. Then he has 2 thirds and I have 1 but it probably comes to more calories than it should but hey! at my age, does it really matter too much? I shall go on persevering but not being fanatical as I really like p[eople to enjoy my cooking!

For age is opportunity no less
    Than youth itself, though in another dress,
    And as the evening twilight fades away
    The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
    Extract from Morituri Salutamis by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    Thanks for the welcome.

OOH, wicken. Please don’t say ‘at my age’. You sound like a really on-the-ball, lovely, foxy lady, full of energy of one sort or another (i.e. if the bod isn’t quite what it used to be, the brain is still firing on all cylinders), and still in there pitching. And Longfellow’s right. Being mature has its advantages. And as Shakespeare said of Cleopatra ‘age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
    her infinite variety. Bet that’s you, too.

I’m not all that far behind you age-wise, but if anybody ever tries to tell me what I should or shouldn’t do ‘at my age’ they are in severe danger of being told in very unladylike terms where to get off. I still work full-time, freelance so no one but me can fire me on grounds of age. If the punters stop commissioning work, then I’ll know it’s time to quit. No sign of that yet. I’ve also just finished a part-time master’s degree (won’t know if I’ve passed until mid-November) and, thanks to 5:2, in pretty good health. I don’t look too raddled either – except in photographs, photogenic I ain’t. 🙁

I share your love of cooking and have found it great fun to find food that fits in with this way of eating. You’ve obviously got the hang of it already, but you might also like to get hold of the cookbooks that go with 5:2. The recipes they contain are not at all diet-like, many are posh enough to serve to guests, 🙂 but still stick to the principles of 5:2. The Fast Diet Recipe Book and Fast Cook, as well as the 5:2 Cookbook by Angela Dowden are available on Amazon and you might be happy with much cheaper used copies – always assuming a previous user hasn’t left it covered with diet-friendly gravy. :).

The Beeb Good Food site http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/ also has loads of interesting recipes. And only yesterday one of our fellow Fast Dieters in the USA put up this link, which looks very interesting http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Fortunately my Other Half is also following 5:2, which is helpful. Fair enough if yours doesn’t want to join in but one way of keeping him happy is something you might already have thought of. If you make a nice hearty, but fairly low-cal main course soup or stew, you only need add some extra fluid to make much bigger servings. Also a lot of us use Zero Noodles on fast days. A whole 200g pack (enough for 2) only comes to 8 calories (4 each) and added to soup, stirfry or stew, i.e. something with plenty of well-seasoned sauce, they are very filling. Holland and Barrett stock them, I believe some bigger branches of Boots do as well, and if all else fails, just Google ‘zero noodles’. Some suppliers deliver in packs of 20, but even with p&p, they will almost certainly work out cheaper than on the high street.

Right, I’ll shut up now. Nice ‘talking’ to you. Hope you achieve your goal on 5:2. I’m sure you will. If it works for me, it will work for anyone.

You can order zero noodles online using Boots website and either have them delivered or pick them up at the store of your choice the following day, which is what I did, and I paid for them with my Advantage points.

hermajtomomi

And as Shakespeare said of Cleopatra ‘age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
    her infinite variety’. Bet that’s you, too.
    I try to be like that. I’m just not ready to be ‘old’ whatever that is and I’d have something to say to Jeremy Paxman if I ever met him!
    I have 2 packets of zero noodles in my cupboard!
    I didn’t realise this site would b e so encouraging, helpful and humorous, so ‘thank-you’ everyone.
    Havn’t weighed myself yet! keeping that as a hopefully positive treat!
    Was told by someone today that ‘I wear my age very well’ That’s lovely.
    When I reached that milestone in June this year I felt really happy and called to mind this psalm often during a wonderful day.
    http://www.catholiceastanglia.org/themes/liturgy/prayer/prayer4.htm
    Don’t be offended, not trying to convert anyone!

Thanks, Amazon, that’s useful to know.

Hi wicken,

First, earthly things. Noodles. If you haven’t used them yet, this might be useful. After you’ve rinsed them under the tap (in a fine sieve, they have a nasty way of slipping through the larger holes in a collander), unless the two of you are accomplished spaghetti artists, snip into them with scissors to make smaller bits. BTW on their own they aren’t very appealing, they need some good, strong sauce or gravy.

And what’s old Paxo been saying? I rather like him but I know he can sometimes be a bit of a pain and come out with some dubious stuff.

Secondly, more spiritual things. Yes, the Psalm is very beautiful, thank you for the reminder. However, but I have to confess to being a real old fogey in one respect. I much prefer the King James version of the Bible. I’m at best an agnostic, at worst a complete heathen, but I think the Bible is a beautiful work of literature. Which version you prefer is of course a matter of personal taste. I know some people can’t be doing with the thees and thous and the goeths and comeths, which is fair enough. Here’s the King James version of the Psalm 139, which I think is stunning:

O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

hermajtomomi

You are absolutely right. The King James version is incomparably beautiful..
    I was being lazy and put the first Google version I could find.
    The noodles will be just for me as husband doesn’t really like pasta ( except when I make macaroni cheese!. which is out on a 500 day) So it will do me for 2 days.
    Dolmio do some lovely stir in creamy 2 servings carbonara sauce. It’s only 98 calories so if I’m careful won’t take me ‘over the limit!’ I found it in Iceland.
    I drink mainly green tea or Tesco Still Strawberry flavour water 250ml = 1 calorie.
    I shall persevere.
    Husband loves omelette so I’ll do him a prawn or cheese omelette with sauté potatoes on my noodle day!
    Oh Paxo!He was quoted as saying that the elderly shouldn’t be around and there should be a Dignitas clinic on every street corner! Maybe he’ll change his mind as he gets even older than 65.
    I don’t honestly think anyone is a complete heathen.
    I had a simply wonderful teaching colleague who said she was an agnostic. She was more totally Christian than anyone I have ever met in terms of unadulterated goodness. Needless to say she was a wonderful teacher and I shall never forget her. I remember her with great affection.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,001 through 4,050 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.