HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,851 through 3,900 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi versy

Just go to the top of the screen at the right hand side and it will say ‘your profile’ – click on that and it will give you the option to ‘edit’ your profile!

C’est Voila!
    Booxx

Hi Boo

I added to my profile if anyone wants to take a look…

Lizzypb

Hi Tiger

You’ve left a few posts lately Tiger; so here goes (shorter posts are much easier and quicker to answer!….says she who never does short posts!)

Re-your husband’s health issues – you weren’t ‘freaking’ out at all. Please stop apologising for everything you say and do. It’s perfectly natural that you should be most concerned but if you ask for advice on here it might not always be the advice you want to hear.
    I was thinking about you and the affect on YOUR HEALTH and I would imagine NickyF was too.
    And of course you can join this club again; I never thought you had gone away. Or I hoped not; the LOACA’s still posting on here are a lovely bunch but we could always do with someone who is going to make us laugh a bit more!

Re-your post of the 22.08 –

I totally disagree with you that you are ‘selfish’; it is natural and right for you to want to learn as much as you can about the FD and what strategies other people have developed.

I now realise where you have gotten the impression that I will feel ‘betrayed’ if you or others go off and post on other threads….
    What I wrote the other day which could not have been more sincere; referred to the people who have quit this thread en masse because of ‘recent events’……
    That could not be more different to people like you who want to spread the love around so other threads can enjoy your sense of humour!

And I am not arrogant enough to assume that you ‘are taking sides’ because you have continued to post on this thread; I do want to THANK YOU for NOT taking sides though. It is very much appreciated.

Lastly, I don’t think I am ‘in charge’ of this thread; though I did start it over a year ago now and I have tended it ever since but I always refer to it as THE LOACA THREAD – not ‘my thread‘.

Anyways – hopefully that is me and you sorted!

Booxx

P.S Has the 7lbs stayed off? Is hubby scoffing doughnuts as we ‘speak?’……

Boo I tried that and it only gives me 4 options :-

1. Nickname
    2. Email Address
    3. A bit about yourself
    4. Password

No option to give my whereabouts.

Sorry you’re having a hard time of it today. You have done so well and lost loads – I bet there comes a time where you just get b****y sick of it. I’m all enthusiastic because I am a grand total of 3 days in. 3 weeks from now there will be much gnashing of teeth and drinking gallons of whisky. I will probably have a restraining order to stop me from strangling Dr Moseley but CARRY ON and get some bloomin soup into you. I know I sound like a soup freak but it fills you up but keeping busy is the hard bit. You don’t play Candy Crush to you by any chance?? If not Dr Versy recommends – you can while away hours lol – take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and chins up!

Hi Lizzypb

Well done you! I love Northumberland – the unspoiled beaches are sublime…..Oh and all the castles…….I love walking round the walls at Berwick when it is just turning dusk on a winters evening….
    I could go on….(and usually do, I know!)

Booxx

Hi again versy

Do what you did before and when you get to the page after you have clicked on ‘your profile’ – the page will give you a list on the left hand side with the option to ‘edit your profile’.
    Click on this and you will get a little blue box which will give you whatever is already in your profile and you go onto it and make your changes or additions.

Phewwww……
    Booxx

Lizzypopbottle

Well blow me down – I was in Dunbar at the week-end in the caravan and we went to Berwick. I took my kids to Haddington beach when they were younger and my son PROMISED me he wouldn’t fall into the water. Well he did and he ended up walking round Berwick in his pyjamas.

I was 2nd dan brown belt in Shitoryu karate but moved house before I took my black belt. I hated the new club and the new instructor so left to go to Les Mill’s bodycombat instead. Much less physical!!

Take care V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Boo I’ve done my profile but will do it properly tomorrow. Getting tired and got to watch 8 out of 10 cats!!!!

I want to say to the (LOACA) keep encouraging. I am on second yr. I like the “eating plan” as I call it. I like the reduced body, and feel this is relatively easy to adjust my life to 5:2 as a permanent life time thing.

Cutting wheat and sugar as an experiment to see if my waist size reduces. I am not quite ready for that. Maybe cutting out the sugars including those items that have it added I could do. I am not a bread person. Where I live peaches are available now and are delicious without any additions. They can totally answer my sweet tooth.

I challenge the LOACA in Scotland: try one fast day on week-end. Is that feasible at all? Pea Jay

Hi Boo

I must confess I’ve struggled during the holidays, that comes from doing a term time job and now spending 6 weeks at home and close to food! It’s also made me realise just how much time I spend walking up and down the corridors at school, collecting printing from the printer or looking out for wandering children! As mentioned before I gave up Zumba and have struggled to find a local yoga class where I can try one out before committing to a whole term. I don’t know about anyone else but where did the summer go? It’s back on with socks, long trousers and a cardigan; I don’t do jumpers as I have a faulty thermostat, and often have my own personal heat waves.

Ali x

Found the Whoopi Goldberg quote……..I have personal summers!

Hi versy2010

It just shows what a small world we live in! I’m not as close to the border as Berwick but not too far. I’m not a native of this area, being from the North West by family connection but I’ve adopted and been adopted by the North East through long association. My late husband was a Northumbrian by birth and couldn’t settle away from his roots! My family was virtually nomadic so it was easy for me to adapt.

I took up karate 18 years ago and found the mix of physical activity and continuous learning and refinement of technique really suits me so I’ve never tired of it. I’ve made lots of friends through it too. (I won’t deny there’ve been a few bruises too!)

Lizzypb

Lizzypb : I used to love the tournaments and gradings at karate. It never failed to amuse me that one minute you were chatting and laughing with strangers from other clubs and the next you were knocking their block off in kumite.

Well can’t believe that’s another pound off (4.8 lbs) since Monday and I have refused to give up bread. Before bed last night had x 2 bits of toast with tomatoes and cheese on. Too good to be true this malarkey!!! Fast day tomorrow so psyching myself up!!!!

I read a quote in a mag yesterday and I like it : this month’s diet is next month’s body. How good is that????

Bonjour – today is my first FD in a fortnight. Eating ‘normally’ for the two weeks made me realise that the 5:2 is the way I should be eating. Day after day I ate what I wanted (with no regard to calories) and enjoyed it, but some mornings when I woke I felt ‘yucky’, and had to resort to Rennies. At the end of a couple of the days I did a quick tot-up of the calories and was shocked to see that I had eaten two days’ worth in one! (Well, it’s not often my grandson comes to stay).

I am definitely back on the wagon, and full of determination. I don’t have any major social events until the beginning of November so that gives me 9 weeks, and ‘no excuses’.

I’d be interested to hear what other LOACA do to take their mind off food on a FD. So far today I’ve been for an early walk, done a spot of pruning in the sun (it’s a lovely day here in Burgundy), tackled the blocked bathroom sink, done an hour’s french on my ‘rosetta stone’, and disposed of a ‘swarm’ of ants in the kitchen (one of the joys of the countryside). I realise a lot of the ladies still work so I guess that is a good diversion (depending on your work) – I remember that when I was busy working, some days I hardly gave food a thought (but then usually made up for it in the evenings).

It’s just after 1 p.m. so I’m off to make leek and potato soup for one of my meals (see recipe on LOACA recipe thread); probably have a small portion of smoked trout and salad this evening.

A bientot,
    Femme x

Bonjour Femme

Whilst on holiday I ate salads for my lunch and tried to avoid too many carbs, but after my evening meal I often felt bloated. Now back to my own portion control and less carbs I’m feeling much better…however just made white choc and cranberry cookies to use up half a tin of condensed milk! They look delicious non FD today so will have one and freeze most of them, that will remove mist of the temptation for me.

I’ve found the holidays hard as I’m around the kitchen so much, the last four days were better as I was busy making eyelet curtains for my eldest daughter and I had a deadline to meet. Spending the weekend with my daughter in law, pizza on Saturday so I think a FD is due tomorrow, did one yesterday with a few crudités for lunch. I quite like doing them B2B, as I get in the zone.

Well summer hols are nearly over and back to school next Wednesday. Have fasting/feasting everyone.

Ali x

Hi AliH

I’m pleased to hear it’s not just me having a bit more difficulty with fast days at the moment; the ill feeling towards me has had something to do with it – without doubt – BUT I do think it is more to do with the simple fact that the days seem so much longer simply because it is still lighter for a longer span of time.

I was thinking yesterday; I used to be eating my main fast meal at around 4.00pm last winter because it was dark then and we got ‘settled’ within the house. Yesterday I was still trying to occupy myself until 6.00-7.00pm and it was hard. I had worked in the garden all day and wanted to go for a walk before I had my main meal but I just didn’t have the energy, so gave myself permission to eat!

With me, the weight loss has been so hard to achieve; that I don’t want ever really to sabotage a fast day (I can’t afford to) – it’s just a case of lately it has been really difficult to get through all those hours without food to give me any energy at all.

Anyways ‘the nights are drawing in’ as one of our old friends always says…

Be good ladies whatever you are doing
    Have to fast tomorrow (Yuck)because of being lax on Bank Holiday Monday…………..
    Booxx

Hi Femme

Did you see the last post I sent you? It was in response to your ‘mangle’ comment and the amount of housework your mother had to achieve BEFORE she went off to work.

I would be interested to hear your views on the last paragraph regarding the children with their cache of sweets/fizzy pop.

What are your thoughts on this having lived in Francais for some time now?

Booxx

Hi Boo – your query about my experience of children and sweets/fizzy drinks, having lived in France for 3 years got me thinking.

Most of my experience comes from seeing Chloe, who is 4, attending a creche and then her first year at school. The attitude (at this age) is very different to the UK – packed lunches are not allowed – children either go home or eat in the canteen. There they are given a three course meal (no choices) and there is no ‘tuck shop’; water is on the table. At home the children drink mainly water and milk, with the occasional soft drink.

School finishes at 4.30 and when the children get home it is traditional for them to have a ‘snack’ (could be fruit, yogurt or a slice of brioche), as dinner is normally eaten at 7 p.m. en famille.

I don’t know what older children do, but the supermarkets are full of sweets, drinks, etc. and I guess at 10 they will be allowed to make their own choices.

France is very much behind when it comes to ‘fast food’ outlets – McDonalds has only recently infiltrated country towns; cities for some time. Coffee chain shops are a very rare sight – my daughter loves a coffee from Starbucks and if we are in Lyon or Paris that is our first port-of-call. Cafes don’t recognise a cappuccino and the nearest is a ‘grand creme’ – no such thing as a shot of syrup!

A bientot,
    Femme x

Hi versy2010

That is a fantastic weight loss for your first week of FDing; you do know that a great deal of that will be ‘water’ but even so, it is still impressive.

I would agree with you deciding NOT to give up bread if you don’t want to and don’t NEED to! In fact I would take as wide a margin as you can and see what your weight loss slows down to (it is bound to slow down; you won’t maintain losing at this rate I doubt).
    If you take a wide margin; as in eating as many calories of your TDEE on non-fast days – then you will keep your metabolic rate as high as possible.

Why ‘get by’ on fewer calories and lose weight if you can eat more calories and still lose a respectable amount of weight?
    Try not to get too impatient about results; they will come – you are nearly half a stone lighter than you were last week!

Booxx

Thanks Boo – does FDing stand for F*****g Dieting???? Only joking! This TDEE thing I have just re-done and it says I can have 2332 cals a day – is that normal? I double checked that my weight/height etc was correct and that’s what came up. Anyhow, I won’t be eating that much but I just factor my bread in each day. Bread junkie!!

Hi all LOACA. Lpb, I too love the country side and beaches of Northumberland. We have relatives who live in and around Newcastle so go up to stay when we can. In fact at one stage about 12_13 years ago we were thinking of moving up to Alnwick and did a lot of research into the area, even had the local Berwick paper sent to us for a year!! My husband’s family came from Fenwick, and we went and found the cottage where his grandparents lived, made friends with the then owner and used to take her to Alnwick Gardens when we were there. Sadly she died last year.
    Femme, it sounds like children in France are probably healthier than many are in UK. I try not to give my grandchildren too much in the way of sugary treats when they are here but it can be difficult!! I always have blueberries in the fridge and offer those when they ask for sweets.
    Boo, I am so sorry you are having such a tough time at present. You are so good to us LOACA s. Be assured I am right behind you and hope that you will soon be feeling a bit better. I am sure others on this thread feel the same way.Hugs are sent with this message.
    I have had a couple of hard FDs recently as well. Also had headaches at night following a FD, I think caused by caffeine withdrawal. Today has been easier but probably because I had appointments with dentist and optometrists today so have been kept well occupied!!! Anyway, keep your chin up as they say.
    Better go now, fancy a cuppa!!! WN. Xxx

Femme Anglaise
    I have found diversions can be cleaning one room in the house, answering emails, or picking up a page turner book, mending or hemming a garment on sewing machine in basement, away from foods. On FD I actually have a particular time when I really want to snack. I keep radishes and/or celery for that occasion. They are easy to eat at the sink and the chewing satisfies until dinner. If I have 4-6 raw almonds with my first meal at 1300 I am helped through that radish interval.

Like Precious Boo Boo I cannot sabotage a FD. I have not reached a holiday when I cannot maintain 5:2. However I have not been on a long vacation. I think that I will be able to figure out two days when I can fast. It remains to be seen. I don’t have grand children either and I can imagine that is tough when they are in your home for an extended time. Food is something we celebrate with in Western culture and maybe more so in other cultures.

Pea Jay

Dear LOACA

Must be something in the air, worst FD I’ve had since I started.

Had a bad night, bad sinus head, and slept in this morning. Went all day on just drinks, had pasta for my evening meal (well within my cals) but it all went down hill from there… I’ve picked/snacked on anything I can get my hands on… Well, tomorrows another day!

Note to self, avoid carbs on fast day, which I have done until today. Went to H&B to look for zero noodles, found them but just picking up the bag made me gag. I will have to go without.

Is it the change in weather?? Damp and cool. Hope not, there’s too much of that to come.

Hope all you other ladies are doing better today. DDx

Thank you BooBoo for the magical marker milestone.
    Yes I am a sort of kiwi and yes I sort of live in France(and have for more than 20 years). I have fixed family-visiting migration paths – Rome- London-Wellington NZ. Not much deviation at present from that path which of course is about 40 000km
    ( 30 00miles).
    I sometimes think: Why didn’t I get together with the boy next door? It would have been simpler (maybe??).
    I am plateauing at present. I wanted to lose 4 kg (8.8lbs) per month, but lost only 3kg in August.
    C’est la vie.
    kiwiWiwi

Bonjour AliH – I’ve just read your profile – well done achieving a weight you are happy with, that’s such an inspiration. Like you I am a keen baker and also love curries (Thai Curry tonight) and chocolate; and you have a cat too! I would definitely recommend yoga -I do a routine every morning and it’s great for strength, suppleness and mobility.

Boo – like you I was affected by the ill-feeling and almost gave up the FD; but after the lovely visit from my grandson I perked up and am now back in line – yesterday’s FD went ok (the first in two weeks) – I ate at 2.30 and managed to get to 7 p.m.; to keep me going I had the company of Tony Bennett; I’m new to him but he always gives me a boost.

Versy2010 – what a hectic life you lead (I read your profile); like you I need to lose 2 and a half stones. I was like you with a husband, 2 kids, cats, a busy job, etc. and ate healthily through the week but come every weekend I would let rip; each Monday the diet would start again. Now there’s only me and my cat so I’ve no excuses, but in some ways it’s harder because there’s no-one to stop me bingeing! That’s why I need the support of the lovely LOACA.

DottieD – like you plan to do, I avoid carbs on a FD – I eat a protein at each meal (2) – either eggs, fish or chicken/veg/salad/soups. Your comment on the zero noodles made me laugh – I only tried them once (I went so far as to have Holland & Barrett send them from the UK, and it was like chewing plastic; never again.

A bientot,
    Femme x

Hi fellow LOACA. I’m waving to you from my plateau where I’ve been sitting for the last 2-3 weeks. My OH is still trundling downwards and has lost nearly 2 stones, which is pretty darned good. It’s all going from his middle and he’s having to make new holes in his belts. I can’t seem to lose the lb I need to to reach that magical first stone! I knew those chocolates I had at the weekend would catch up with me!!! Ah well, I feel I need a glass of wine tonight to compensate. Probably shouldn’t but what the heck!! I’ll fast on Monday. WN.

Hi versy2010

I’ve just had another read of your TDDE post. If you go back to the FD calculator and have a read of the info at the left hand side of the page – it is plainly stating that they use the general gauge of 2000 calories for women and 2400 for men in their calculations.
    So I’m not really sure how you have managed to get a calculation of 2332 from it!
    You are doing fantastically well anyway; if I was you I would just for the moment adopt the easy and round figure of 2000 TDEE and therefore 500 for fast days.

(Did you see I left you a helpful message on one of the other threads you have been posting on? Have a look see then ‘report’ my advisory post too and ask to have it deleted too and your faux pas will be extinguished forever…I should be so lucky….)

Booxx

Hi to wilbersnanna on her plateau! BIG WAVE BACK!

Oh I’ve just read that you have mentioned the dreaded word – WINE! –
    We are not having any tonight because I was lax last Monday (the Bank Holiday) and therefore I have had to move my fast days along…….

The last time I fasted on a Friday (for exactly the same reason!); I vowed I wouldn’t do it again because it spoils the entire day. We don’t have a nicer weekend type meal and we don’t have any wine……………
    Whine whine whine……. 🙁
    Enjoy yours all the more then!

Thank you for the kind words; they do mean a lot at the moment….and your husband’s family hail from Fenwick! We nearly bought a house there once over; I can still see it in local Northumbrian stone and it was pink! The stonework was beautiful and literally a stone’s through away from the beach! (though it was a tiny inlet if my memory serves me correctly)….which is our idea of heaven….Oh and just remembered – it was November and there were some SNOW GEESE congregated there….which is even more our idea of heaven…

Anyways back to your plateau; you too have had such a good weight loss so far so you mustn’t get despondent that it’s not showing a loss EVERY week on the scales.
    I have probably asked you this before; but did you measure BEFORE you started the FD? You might have lost inches somewhere on your body….
    Or pick out some too small items of clothing that you have stashed away and keep trying them on – something for top half and bottom half and see if you can discern any difference in terms of being looser/easier to get on/nearly get on etc.
    It must be seriously annoying to watch the weight literally dropping off your husband but that is usually the way it goes; it is usually much much easier for them compared to women and especially women in our stages of life.

Here’s an idea; you could always compare your weight loss and how long you have been on the FD with my experience……I rest my case!

Enjoy your weekend and as you say; there’s always next week!

ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Hi Boo – I didn’t get your message re : the extinguishing!! Please can send me again? V xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi versy!

You are a pudding! Go on to your profile page (AGAIN!) and click on replies (on the left side); then go to your 3rd last ‘reply’ and click on that and it will take you to the thread I am referring to!
    And my ‘message’ to you is on it!

Booxx

Hi AliH

‘Speaking’ of your personal ‘heat waves’ – did you see that post I left you ages ago now? It had details of an American website called Women’s Health Network – it has loads of information on it regarding menopause/health etc.
    They sell supplements for all kinds of symptoms; it certainly wouldn’t harm for you to have a look.

If it’s good – let us know; I never have the time to sit down and read through it all.

Have a nice weekend
    Booxx

Hi again Boo – did the stats again and TDEE definitely 2362 – is it because I have clicked on “moderately active” which I am?

V xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Femme

Thanks for your response to my query on French children and their possible consumption of sweets etc. It’s interesting too that you say that Francais is very much behind on fast food outlets; I would rephrase that to say they are way ahead in that they DON’T have that many!
    That is why they still eat en famille as you say; there is nowhere else to go for ‘fast’ food so they eat at home with the family.

Your daughter has married a Frenchman; do most families still cook most meals from scratch? Or have processed/microwaveable meals found there way on to the table?

It is way too long since we holidayed in Francais; it’s just too long a drive from where we live but I remember clearly when we would be driving through small and not so small towns at about 8.00pm and there was literally not a soul in sight!
    The towns looked as if they were deserted; would you say it is still the case nowadays? Back then the teenagers were at home with the family, which we found quite strange at the time (I‘m talking around 35yrs ago now……).

Still being young and daft then; I wanted to go to a disco on at least one night and there wasn’t one in a 50 mile radius! So my then lovely boyfriend (now husband!) drove us the 50 miles to the disco and it was terrible! Being French they wouldn’t play any British music precisely because it was so good and played all over the world; so they didn’t like it!
    So they played the most boring French and European music imaginable and there wasn’t a soul in the place! And we had paid what seemed like a fortune to get in the first place!
    Never tried that again!

As you say – a bientot
    Booxx

Hi versy

Yes I think that must be it and it does sound as if you are definitely ‘moderately’ active…
    Can anyone else on here advise if they get a TDEE higher than 2000?

Did you locate my message?

Booxx

P.S. What are you doing reading this? Why aren’t you partying? SOMEBODY HAS TO! (say she on a fast……zzzz…..cocoa later…..zzzzz…..)

My TDEE is more than 2,200.
    I have also selected moderately active because I exercise every day.

Hi Amazon

Are you a ‘lady of a certain age’ though?
    I had a look at your profile but you haven’t said. I am simply used to women in our category having a TDEE lower than 2000. Often considerably lower in fact, whether they exercise a lot or not.

Hi BooBoo
    My TDEE is 2133, but it has gone down at least 100 since 1 July when I started.
    I guess that the more one carries around the more one needs to do so.
    My fitbit is also generous about the calories used to get around.
    My BMI is now 34 and I guess the TDEE will go down as that descends.
    About food in France, it’s interesting to note that McDo fast food outlets are very profitable in France. But the French love fresh food. When I arrived in France over 20 years ago, the food was probably better than now but more expensive. Companies in France are obliged to give their employees lunch vouchers. The favourite place to go and get food where I worked was in the ‘traiteurs’ (like a delicatessan) where you can get very well prepared food at high prices. My children were not that keen on school canteen food, but didn’t eat sweets much. Chocolate was much more commonly eaten in our French household. Biscuits bought in shops are not nearly as good as British or Oz or NZ biscuits, so are self-limiting.
    Weekend food is normally made from scratch, though traiteur food is also bought. We lived in a large city so everything was possible. In the country where I live now, our friends all eat food made from scratch and often home grown or bought very fresh from the markets.
    This probably adds to what Femme anglaise explained.
    Well FD again tomorrow and a trip to the rubbish tip.
    XX KiwiWiwi

Hi again Femme

I try to work my way chronologically through the posts otherwise you miss pertinent stuff; so I have just got to today’s post from you.

I am so relieved to hear that you are firmly back on the fast diet wagon and was concerned to hear that the nastiness that has occurred in ‘recent events’ on this forum might have put you off continuing with the FD.
    You must never let the behaviour of other people sabotage something which is clearly helping you to feel better about yourself and your weight.
    I too thought long and hard about whether I wanted to post on this forum again; you know why but it never even entered my head to quit the FD.
    Why would it? My weight loss is torturously slow as you know but I am still so grateful that I have lost any weight at all; so nothing but nothing would make me consider stopping this WOL now.
    And you mustn’t let ANYTHING derail you from losing the weight you want to; remember the lovely dress you would like to get back into?

Thank goodness you had the visit from little Max to pick up your spirits and remind you how lovely people can be to each other. I want to thank you for staying on this thread, for NOT taking sides and thank you for suggesting that the others stay; you are obviously a kind and decent person and that is one of the biggest compliments I can pay anyone….

(A pertinent aside – My hero Robbie Williams was blessed with his first child – a daughter – a few years ago now; he was asked by some inane journalist what he would like her to be when she grew up? (She was about 1yr at the time….) and he answered ‘I don’t care what she does for a living when she grows up as long as she is kind……’ )

I did think about you when I was considering leaving the forum for good; I am lucky in that I share my home with my husband, so I have company all the time (too much sometimes! but that is another topic of conversation).
    And importantly if I need encouragement/support he is there for me; whereas as you say you live alone (though near your daughter thankfully), apart from your precious cat and it will be very easy to get a bit despondent and want to give up.
    So I know, without wanting to be in the least bit patronising, that this forum/thread will be not only, an important source of encouragement/advice/information for you but it is company too.
    You are having ‘conversations’ with women of a similar age from all over the world and it gives you something to look forward to at some point during the day. I can speak for myself when I say it can positively distract you from the more worrying aspects of our daily lives.

So you mustn’t ever think of giving up the FAST DIET! (Even when you get to your personal GOAL you will need to be on some kind of version of the FD to maintain it).
    You have this forum and this thread – whoever is on it and we/they will encourage you to keep the faith when the going gets a bit tough.

Bonne Soir
    Booxx

Hi Kiwi

Well dang my poons – there is something else I am wrong about!
    I have to say, I haven’t, up until now, come across any LOACA who has a TDEE in excess of 2000. Most of those I was aware of, as I stated earlier, were considerably less – still you live and learn on this forum……

Thank you too for the insight into French eating habits; Dieu merci that they cannot make a decent biscuit or that would be something else to have to limit!
    Actually I remember their wonderful looking cakes in the patisseries; they looked out of this world but they didn’t have much taste at all. And I should know I would have worked my way through most types on our sojourns there!

So the folk who live in the country still make meals from scratch; that doesn’t surprise me really. It is still the impression I get whenever I read anything about French life; did you ever watch the wonderful Keith Floyd the British cook? I say ‘cook’ because he never received any training in his life; his cookery shows set in France were just so entertaining to watch.

In fact his cookery shows anywhere in the world were seriously entertaining! He is repeated a lot on digital channels and we still love to watch his shows because he was so ahead of his time in terms of cookery shows, production techniques and the wonderful off piste settings he would choose for his cookery demonstrations.
    They were more like a travelogue with some cooking in it rather than just a cookery programme.
    Good Old Floyd – God rest his soul.

Enjoy your trip to the rubbish dump tomorrow Kiwi!
    Your day sounds about as exciting as mine has been today…….well must dash off for the highlight of my day……………………cocoa! 🙂
    I suppose it’s better than a slap in the face with a wet fish (only just though!)

Bonne Nuit
    Booxx

Hi again.
    Boo, I am a LOACA.

Hi Amazon

Have a look at what I have just been saying to Kiwi….

Good Night

well, hi all.

My TDEE is just over 1500.

Boo you’ve lost a lot of weight, in my eyes. I don’t think I’m a lot quicker at it than you. So far my best weight was 132.2. And I’m still working to see it again! I started on Sept. 5, my anniversary is coming up. That’s only 22.2 lbs. I plan to push for the next month, ’cause I want to see under 130. On the other hand, I don’t want to mess up my metabolism, either. It’s a dilemma.

It’s also a holiday weekend. We’ll see.

How many of you have cut the heavy carbs?

Hi Piper

My TDEE is 1340. The main carbs I eat are slow release so I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta and new potatoes. I tend to eat more rice and pasta than potatoes. After a 4:3 week before my holiday I dipped below 9 stone for first time in many years, but am 2lbs over at present. Once I’m back at work it will be much easier, temptation will be out of the way during working hours, except we have loads of birthdays in September, mine included. And we like our cakes, I’m thinking if making cookies this year. Let’s see if they can be a bit healthy, may be some Florentines? I’ll eat just the one…….

Must try some new recipes so I can pits some mire on the other thread, I have loads of soups. The Skipper Soup from Mimi’s book is fab.

Ali x

DottieD

Are zero noodles that bad, I’ve thought about trying them but yet to got to my local H&B? Anyone else tried them or an alternative?

Ali x

Dear Ali

Unfortunately I didn’t get as far as eating them, in fact they never left the shop! When I picked them up they were just this wobbling mess in a bag…

made me feel ill! Femme got as far as trying them, but said it was like chewing plastic.

However there are many people who find them a staple of their Fast day. Just wont be mine.

Let us know if you try them. DDx

Hi Boo & Co. Just to say Thank You ,Boo for your encouragement. I feel much better and more positive today. I have found that a pair of jeans which were just about do upable 4 months ago are now baggy on the waist and probably fit better elsewhere!!! Also I now have to do up my bra on the tightest hook instead of the loosest. I have lost inches on my waist, bust and hips. So the plateau weight is probably not an indication of what is happening to my body. I do appreciate, too that your weight loss isn’t as much as you would like so I apologise for my winge!! We do have to support each other!!!
    I had a compliment too from my daughter’s partner. He said he can see that my shape is changing as well as hers, which from a chap who has his mind on higher things most of the time is praise indeed.
    So I really don’t have anything to moan about do I!!!WN.

YEY, WN!

Good Morning! I’m a bit jaded this morning (boo hoo). I have been on the diet exactly a week. Yesterday I weighed myself and I had lost 8lb (despite going to a wedding reception on Saturday and having far too many Bacardi and cokes!!). Feeling a bit “delicate” yesterday we decided to have a Chinese takeaway. I split one with hubby and had some ice-cream (why do I do it??) and guess what? I have put on 6lb since yesterday – Impossible surely?????? My scales are fairly new and a good brand. Does anyone else have wild weight fluctuations? Is it better to weigh yourself once a week? I’ve been doing it every day.

So after all that, I have lost 2lb not 8lb grrrrrrr. Mind you I suppose 2 lb is more sensible.

Versy2010 – I’m no expert but I think most Chinese takeaway meals are very salty and may have caused some water retention. I suspect your true weight loss is somewhere between 2-8lb!
    I personally couldn’t take the emotional strain of daily weighing! I need the encouragement of numbers going down but daily fluctuations seem to be the norm and I would find that discouraging to say the least. Once a week seems ok to me. I haven’t taken measurements but can also tell by some unforgiving (cotton-no stretch) clothes. Stick with it and leave the scales alone for a week and you will be smiling again.:)

Bonjour – just got back from an early walk – here in Burgundy the early mornings are cool, leaves are beginning to fall, and it’s a lovely time to take a walk. By 11 the sun is fully out and the temperatures still in the high 70’s.

I had a quiet weekend spent mostly sitting on my bench with a coffee, and a good book. My outdoor cats were sitting in the shade, and one of them suddenly miaowed twice and FOUR kittens appeared from under a climbing rose! Such a surprise and so lovely. They are all like mum with black/grey stripes and black blotches – I love watching them play and pester ‘mum’ and dash away to hide when my cat appears – fortunately Honey is not bothered as she knows she’s the queen of the garden.

Boo – many thanks for your positive post about not being discouraged and giving up the FD; and I totally agree with your comment about being kind, which costs nothing – a kind remark can lift someone’s spirits, as your compliment to me did. Your husband sounds very supportive, you are so lucky; my ex was quite negative and kyboshed many an attempt to lose weight. I’ve lived alone for 17 years and truly like it that way – I love the freedom, the independence, the peace and the control I have. Like you say I have the lovely LOACA to chat with and appreciate their support.

You also asked about life in France – where my daughter and family live there is no take-away shop, (where I lived my small town had 8 take-away outlets) and it’s quite a large town. However, a pizza van (with an authentic wood-burning oven) comes to the square every Tuesday evening – we’ve enjoyed the occasional pizza and they are delicious. There is a frozen food chain – Picard – that they occasionally use and enjoy a ‘chinese’. We’re all in the UK for Christmas and you can be sure I shall be enjoying fish ‘n chips (and mushy peas) with lots of vinegar!

Away from the cities France’s social life is mainly around their families – weddings are very noisy and lively affairs and often involve the whole village; there are weekly fetes (one of my favourites is the chestnut fete) and markets, family dances, brocantes (like car boot sales); there are no ‘pubs’ and only bars which cater for the whole family and serve coffees, wines, snacks, etc.

Well its another FD day: while I was getting dressed for my walk I accidentally glimpsed my body in my dressing table mirror – waist to knees – and it was quite a shock. I very rarely take a good look and when I do I tend to ‘prepare’ myself. Although shocked it actually spurred me on to keep on the FD and up the exercise.

I’m off to make a coffee now (no sugar and a little milk from my FD allowance), and enjoy the sun for a while. Hope those fasting have a good day.

Femme x

Viewing 50 posts - 3,851 through 3,900 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.