HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 7,330 total)

• Really agree with you JoJo. The years I gained and couldn’t lose weight believing that pasta was good, the sauce on it was bad!
    I mean I ate too many sweets etc. etc – that’s how I gained weight in the first place – but the advice on how to lose it has been wrong for years. Possibly fudged (!) by the huge corporations.
    I did the old Green Slimming World years ago and did lose weight with it but looking back it was prety ‘Atkins’. Trouble was it made me conscious of being on a diet All The Time, counting, counting, counting. And I’m sure that is a big problem too. Food has to learn it’s place not stay at centre stage!
    If you have time, take a look at those Dr Fung videos. He is very knowledgable on the role of insulin in weight gain. Best wishes, xx

Hello, fellow LsOACA! Loving reading all your posts of tweaks and information. I continue to love the plan, and am now down 13.4 lbs. since March 3. I think of it as “almost a stone” now because of all you brilliant Brits! I started doing 4:3 last week, hoping to sustain weight loss at a faster rate.
    I thought I’d offer a few hints that seem to be working for me. Agree wholeheartedly with the water. I drink 2-3 liters every day. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is eating fiber. I find it helps me feel full for longer, even though it is carbs. My fast day breakfast is usually 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal (60 cal, 14 g fiber) with 1/2 cup berries and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (30 cal per cup). Like many of you, I refuse to give up my coffee, and drink it with a splash of skim milk. On non-fast days I add a couple of tablespoons of almonds and 1/4 cup of high-fiber but sweeter cereal. I wait until 10:30 or 11 am to have my first meal every day. Other than the cereal, I avoid non-fruit & veg carbs on fast days, and mostly on non-fast days as well.
    My favorite dinner is miso soup: 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tbl miso paste, 12 pea pods, some shredded carrot, a couple of shrimp, and a package of shiritaki noodles (the brand I have is Miracle Noodles–extremely low calorie), a splash of soy sauce and fish sauce. It’s a big, warm, flavorful bowl for less than 120 calories.
    I do log all my food and exercise on Loseit.com, which is similar to myfitnesspal. I am a person who likes numbers, charts, and graphs!
    Also, as a visible reminder of my loss, I have two martini glasses on my shelf. The first started with 40 shiny marbles and is my “to lose” glass, and the other is my “lost” glass. I move marbles as I lose pounds. Silly, but I like it!
    Keep sharing tips, successes, and challenges! Thank you all!

Hi ply24mp,
    That is a fantastic weight loss you must be very happy. I love the marble idea but I may need something smaller or I will need a dustbin in the room for the ‘to lose’ collection. Might be a bit tempting to use smarties I suppose. How about matches? Then I could glue the completed ones into a tower, that would stop me allowing myself to put on weight. At the end I could take it out in my garden and have a ceremonial burning. What a plan I will start today.
    Keeping drinking all

Hi loved your thread but can you tell me please what this means (LsOACA?) I have seen this on the threads but I am new only been on 5-2 this is my second week. JIP

LOACA=Lady of a Certain Age 🙂

Jojo, LOVE the ceremonial burning idea!! HAHA!

Thank you, sorry feeling thick now. In more ways than one. LOL, I got weighed this morning and I had put on a pound but I did not mind. Now that is unusual but I had a lovely weekend. Entertained my brother-in-law and his wife and the meal and drinks are consumed without any thought of dieting, this is a once a month visit and next month we go to them. So you can imagine the type of evening. I can usually put on 3 lb by the next morning. one pound is wonderful that is thanks to fasting on Monday. I love 5-2 and I do believe I can do this indefinitely. Good luck to everyone. JIP

Good for you, JIP!

Hi, are you saying that carbs should be kept to a minimum on Fast Days or on all days? When I only did WW I cut my carbs only on the day before weigh-in day. Now I am making my second Fast day the day before being weighed in WW class. Thanks JIP

Hi Jojo, I have a pint of hot water before breakfast, One again before lunch and at one or two throughout the day, but I do drink it by the pint class. That’s only 4 or 5 pints. I know where all the loo’s are when I am out walking .. LOL. JIP

I am careful with carbs most days, but especially so on fast days. I usually do have pizza & an English muffin at lest once a week, though.

Hello Cathyork

Long time no speak! The only thread I have the time to post on now generally is this one; so haven’t been onto your thread lately. But I do know that you got through your operation splendidly and it was onwards and upwards in the recuperation stakes and that you managed to lose weight all the way through! Result.

But you are still considerably ahead of me in terms of weight loss and you’ve had a hip replacement! It does somewhat support my theory that even among us LOACA’s; there is still a difference in how our bodies respond to FD, how much we are able to exercise, or not, how much weight two women will lose in the same period….

Still, I keep saying this, but no matter how long it has taken (and will take until I get to a weight I am happy with); I am so grateful that any ’diet’ at all has allowed me to lose any weight whatsoever.

Onwards and Downwards!

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

Wow – I have a few busy days and you all go mad! I wonder if it’s because Spring eventually seems to have arrived and we are not only feeling a bit better and brighter in ourselves, but are also thinking that this means less clothes to ‘hide’ behind? You can cover up in winter much easier than the warmer seasons.

Thank you very much to those of you who congratulated me on getting to a weight which starts with a TEN! (stones that is!).
    It is appreciated when you get cheered on.

Anyways Hello and Welcome to Corfumay, yellow sun, Dreamgirl2014, coffee brain and simplycatt.

Hi NickyF – That is a very pertinent point; you gals over the way work in kg’s and therefore the ‘big’ number will change fairly regularly. Whereas as you so rightly say; us Brits using ‘old money’ measurements only have the ’big’ number change after an entire 14lb is lost! And as I’ve proved so successfully, that can be a hell of a long haul!

Hi LindyW – Did you read MerryMary’s request for LOACA’s to tell her how much weight they had lost and over what period? I hoped you would respond with your very impressive record; she might get seriously put off with mine!
    Glad you are ‘off your plateau’ !

Hi -coffee brain- Can you tell us a bit more about the back to back fasting please? We’re all ears for any tips for quicker weight loss.

Hi simplycatt – I feel the need to say – Join the club! That’s why most of us are posting on this thread! It’s not easy for the majority of us LOACA’S but it is doable. I’ll be interested to hear how you go after this weeks fasting – keep us posted.

Hi Speedy – How are you doing? What is the last evening you will post before your op; so we can send you some kind messages?

If you can taste the alcohol in the RR drops; it sounds as if you are taking them ‘neat’? If you are diluting them into a large glass of water or your tea; there should be no chance of tasting the tiny bit of alcohol they are preserved in.
    I stated 2 drops of RR when I should have said 4! Have you opened the meditation book yet? This week might be a good time!
    Thinking of you this week; take care.

Hey jojo – What can I say? God loves a tryer and you are certainly trying! (That is one of my husband’s favourite jokes for me).
    I can feel your determination coming through the laptop and I sincerely wish you well at speeding things up.
    I really have faith in forum’s like this and this is the only forum I’ve ever posted on! But I feel that when you get others on board with what you are doing, it can really spur you on to keep you on the straight and narrow. There’s no-one better than Cathyork to testify to that.
    I think also, if you are very specific about how much you want to lose (as Cath and now you have been); it can act like going to a WW’s class where you are weighed in front of everybody and it makes you want to have something positive to report back.

Not wanting to pour any cold water onto your admirable enthusiasm at all jojo but, the only words of caution I would ask you to consider are; if you go too low on the calories everyday and cut out normal foods like bread, pasta etc all together – then at that wonderful point when you need to start maintaining, you might have lowered your metabolism and will gain weight much more easily when you begin to eat anything like ‘normally’ again.
    Please don’t shoot the sincerely well meaning messenger! I totally understand your impatience having had a life long weight problem.

P.S I’m sure I read hermajtomomi saying she had given up bread etc and it had kick started her weight loss again – perhaps she could tell us about that here please if she reads this?

Hi MerryMary – A few of us have been more specific about their weight loss and in what time scale but hopefully this has given you some idea of; it is really a case of ‘how long is a piece of string?’ when it comes to how you will do on this WOE!
    Just jump in and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi K8tie – We don’t hear from you a great deal on this particular thread; I left a specific message for you on 10.04.14 but I know not everyone reads right back if it is busy on here.
    Could you post on thread ‘In the weight loss scales-not all menopausal women are equal’; it is much quieter and easier by far to have a ‘conversation‘. I am still interested in the books you mentioned which I talk about on 10.04.14.

Hi Lulu01 – the LOACA lurker! How are you doing?

And lastly; we haven’t heard from lizzie53 for quite a while. I know people come and go a lot on this forum and this thread but she seemed like a ‘keeper’. I know you’ve got your health issues lizzie and just hope you are doing okay in the main.

Must go Ladies – stick in everyone. Spring is coming and we want there to be less of us (as in weight, not numbers!)
    Onwards and Downwards!

Hi PreciousBooBoo,
    Actually I haven’t eaten bread for nine months, I have a wheat intolerance and don’t bother with alternatives so I won’t have to worry about eating carbs normally. Also I am not a great lover of either pasta or rice. Porridge is the only daily carb I have( now cut on fast days). My real passion is savoury pastry, which is my Sunday treat for tea, I also have a roast dinner with roast potatoes(3). I think the significance is carb values in fruit and veg which until now I have totally ignored. I do usually eat at least 5 fruits and 6 veg daily but plan on changing the types permanently. I am not fussy so I am happy to eat any fruit or veg. I do understand your concerns and thank you for being kind enough to care about my drastic plans.
    To all,
    I have survived my first two consecutive days fast and recommend it. Mainly fluids but some fruit and veg, tiny portion of protein, both days under 300 cals. Ten glasses of water spread out throughout the day, some hot with lemon slices. I kept myself very busy on both days both with exercise, dog walking, singing in choir and gardening-my poor back. Hopefully I will lose another pound tomorrow.
    My downer today was that some charmer nicked my solar path lamps, all 10. These used to help me avoid snails on my path when I get home in the dark. It will be squishy trips home now.

Well ladies, climbed back on horse and now well into Day 1 of fast as is 6:30 here at present (I do hardboiled eggs in am, salad at lunch, and solid protient ….meat, fish, chicken..at dinner, plus a veg) and gallons of water in between. Tomorrow, press the repeat button and do again. We shall see what the demon scale shows Fri .

LOVE the marbles idea….I too like charts and graphs and have an excel spreadsheet for all the (many) diets I have been on…nice to see stalls and bursts from prior years and not get too out of joint when a given week has not been all I hoped for. I am going to try to take a “two week view” because I don’t always see the results the same week I was “good”, ditto with splurges….may show up next week. But the marble idea….don’t have to turn on the computer for that one…nice reminder of some success when you walk by….and the symbolic moving of the marble from one cup to another….how satisfying!!! On the other hand….that bonfire sounds pretty awsome too. Can we do both? Marble for every lb and bonfire for every ten? Wish we could post pictures on this thread ….would love to see everybody;s mable glass and bonfire celebration.

Any ply24mp: wow ! Wow wow wow !!!! 13.4 lbs in about 5 weeks? Really? Did you have a leg surgically removed or something? That is impressive.

Last note to jojo58: Atkins is pretty hardcore. No wiggle room with that guy. I would recommend seeing if you can get hold of books by Dana Carpender or Fran McCullough (who is a LOCA ). Both are sensible gals who enjoy life and found a moderate way to cut out the worst of the carbs and still thrive. Both have great info in their books and great recipes. They are US published books, so hope you can find them.

I hope that doing a solld 2 day fast (protien and veg those days only…broth and gallons of water) and moderate carb 3 days will allow the pizza or a an ice cream or two.

One thing you have to feel great about…..can’t complain about the cost of the diet. Not much food 2 days a week leaves a lot more cash in your pocket for a fine meal once in a while. Saving money sure beats paying some fancy diet plan to weigh you in front of everybody once a week.

Off to heat up some broth to sip.

Precious BooBoo just a responce. Thank you for your reply some weeks ago re sleepless nights etc !!!!!. I did the research and am sticking to my suggestions re counting down from 50. I understand other posters experiences and methods to address the problem but I am still working on a “mental” approach to solving the problem.
    Good luck to you and all of you out there.

Hi Emmbee – I am 69 and like you am active, on no medication but would like to loose about 10 kilos. This is my second week on the diet and I also do better if I eliminate bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc on fast days. I have protein with vegies, salad and apples. I do find 500 cals hard to stick with and I must learn not to compensate on non-fasting days.
    This is my first post on this forum and every-ones comments are really helpful.
    I maintain a comprehensive vegie and fruit garden which gives me aerobic and weight bearing exercise and I walk my dog, every day for about an hour, often on the local beaches, which is harder on the legs!

On fast days, I usually have an apple late morning, then another about 2:00pm with a small piece of cheese; I have a can of Guinness from 5-6pm (iron needs!) and then 100 grams of chicken or fish with salad (lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, splash of flax oil dressing). THIS week, I am trying to be more sensible on non-fast days.

Hi PBB and everyone else. I thought I’d pop back and say hello & hope you’re all doing well. After another unproductive week on 4:3 I took measurements/weighed myself and them sat myself down for a serious evaluation of my 3 month+ experiment.

Not only had I not lost weight, my waist had *increased* another 1cm in that week, making it a 6cm waist increase in 3 months, and my high bust had also gone up 3cm. The lack of weight loss I might ignore but not such a relentless waist increase. Slimmer fingers aren’t important though I now have them but that 6cm was just crazy and definitely not a good sign.

I decided that for me, it was best to stop IF because if both my blood test results and my measurements were going in the wrong direction it means something’s askew with my biology.

I really do appreciate that I stopped gaining weight while I was doing IF… and based on the previous 7 months I was likely to have gained about 4.5 or almost 9lb in that time. So it was definitely helpful, just my “not normal” self that got atypical results.

After stopping, half the waist increase went in the first 10 days … so IF caused some sort of inflammatory reaction for me personally, but the other 3cm is still with me. I’ve even dropped half a kg (1lb) so here’s hoping things improve.

I really appreciate all the support I had on this LOACA chat and hope that everyone continues to have good results even if they are slow and hard won.

Hello Arla,
    How frustrating, I agree with you stopping and hope you find something that works for you. My friend Jane had similar problems to you, she is now losing one pound per week on the caveman diet and loves it. Maybe worth a try, she is now down 18 pounds in 18 weeks. It’s on my list to do next if this stops working. She did give up chocolate as well which frankly was her nemesis. Her skin is also amazing now and her hair very shiney. Have you considered food intolerances especially wheat, that is a bugger on your waistline and kills weight loss, culprits often wheat, salmon and tomatoes, I know weird but true. Good luck Arls, thinking of you. Tune in anyway kiddo you may be able to report success on your new plan.
    To all,
    My two day consecutive fast (under 300 cals) was a complete success. I lost 3.25 lbs. yes I measure quarters too, obsessive I know. I am thrilled. I may regain one pound over my next 5 non fast days but we will see, not going to go mad. I am performing in my choir today at a local art gallery so I will be singing with joy in my heart( even though the specially written piece is a bit of a dirge).
    Match tower was completed last night and eaten by one of my dogs over night, helpful, thank goodness they were craft matches with no phosphorous on them. I can re- built it and find it a safe home.
    LUVTCOOK,
    I will read those books thanks, I wasn’t planning on following Atkins, just using the carb value list to find lowest carb fruit and veg. For example I am now swapping apples, oranges and bananas to berries. What’s not to like about that, yum.
    Now off for a lovely boiled egg or possible two. Have a great day every one. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! Actually should be Weeeeeeeeeee(Sorry toilet humour)

Hi PBB,
    You are a very kind person. 🙂 I’m going in on Friday morning.
    I just have my big, old PC at home – no mobile devices – so will be out of earshot till Saturday or Sunday.
    But just keen to get it done now. 🙂
    xx

Hello All,

I’m new on here but finding time in the school holiday (English teacher) to read through all the vary posts. They are such a help to me as I’m doing this plan alone. I found a huge change in my weight and body shape around the trunk over the last two years. My Doc explained oestrogen collection & reduced metabolic rate etc. I felt helpless in gaining any pride in my shape again, wore baggy clothes and reduced my social life due to embarrassment of what I looked like. Then… The Fast Diet – I read the book that I bought at Christmas and weighed in on the 12/1/14 at 183lbs. I am 5ft 2ins so this was a very uncomfortable size. I weighed in today at 154lbs:)

I do 4:3 Fasting Mon, Weds and Fri. However, if I can lose another 7lbs I will revert to 5:2 for the last leg! Pardon the pun:)

I eat a sensible and varied diet all week but do log everything with My Fitness Pal. The Fast Diet has helped me not panic about hunger but excite me about the taste of food again. I do 16hrs fast so eat an early lunch or late breakfast of 1 egg salad & 1 piece of fruit and an evening meal with my husband of fish/meat and veg. Sugar-free jelly with a few berries in.

I do drink on a night out – red wine or gin slim line tonic but I have a water in between glasses. I eat 70% dark cocoa solid choc (Asda Extra Spec organic Dominican) on non Fast days if I fancy it because one square is ample to melt on the tongue in two bites with a cuppa.

Anyway Ladies, let’s beat the middle-age spread together! Keep going all xx

Thanks for the suggestions Jojo but I’ve been gluten & dairy intolerant for around 4 years and not eaten tomato since 2007 (and potato only around once every 3 months as it’s a cousin of tomato but less triggery for my asthma/eczema). It’s kinda why I deep inside I grrr when people give up gluten things and lose weight cos I haven’t eaten them for years anyway!

I was pretty upset when I realised things weren’t getting better, because it felt like I’d lost hope of losing weight or even maintaining. But still it’s been fine so far.

Hi everyone- this place is like a scrawling novel!

Boo- WOOHOO! congrats on the 10 stone something! It always feels good to reach a new low , but that is epic!

Hello to all the new peeps. Glad you came back Jojo.

Speedy- I’ll be thinking of you. Glad that you’ll finally get that thing out! You are so sweet, it seems unfair that you’ve had to put up with a kidney stone this long. So, here’s to us all losing those “stones” that are hurting us!

Arla- you are a tough case. I wish you well.

Thank you Piper. xx
    But in the scheme of things there is much worse than a kidney stone. 🙂

In a bit of a rush BUT wanted to wish you all the best Piper!
    And looking forward for your very best outcome . . .

So glad I have found you! I`m 54 and have increased about 10-12 kg in the last five years after stopping smoking. My goal is to decrease about 10 kg till the end of this summer. I started 3 weeks ago with 5:2 with a BMI of 27,2 and since starting I have lost about 2 kg. I have some friends who are telling me that as a LOACA I will hardly ever be able to lose this 10 kg. So please – wish me luck – that I can do it!

You can do it, I did it with WW 56 lb and kept 50 of it off I am now giving 5-2 a go to get this 8 lb or so off and this my 3rd week, I have lost 3 lb in 4 days. I want to get he other side of 10 stone and I am more that 10 years older than you. Good luck and keep in touch. JIP

Do not believe that being menopausal or older will necessarily stop you losing that weight. I have gone down from 150 to 129 lbs in 8 months – slow but steady progress, and I am not very strict about how much I eat when feeding. Get cracking and hopefully you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Greetings and blessings to all LOACA. Hope there’s sunshine today where you are. We celebrate the rays here in Midwest USA, since we’ve had an unusually long winter. Keep up the good work this week on your 5:2 plans. I don’t check in daily, and I’m not good at taking the time to address individuals, but I’m pulling for all of us. Our ‘certain ages season’ can be among the best years in our lives! Back to work – I just hopped in to take a peek at the forum.

Speedy: best of luck to you….hope all goes swimmingly and you are up at back at it quickly. We will all be thinking of you. Do let us know how things went and that you came out the other end just fine. We will be keeping your spot warm for you.

A special Hello to Arla

I wish you had of been coming back to tell us something much more positive for you Arla but….

Life can be a bitch and then you die……
    I am going to say again; I really feel for you and often I honestly don’t know what to say to you because I cannot think of anything that will make you feel, in any way, better.
    You’ve been unfortunately and unfairly handed several serious and debilitating illnesses in this life time and, as if that is not enough suffering; you are not even ‘allowed’ to benefit from the FD even slightly unlike the vast majority of people.

Your rational of the FD causing you some kind of inflammation must be right; no-one knows your own body like you. And you also did specific measurements to be certain of increase in size etc.
    Remember what Aud said about her husband in ‘thisdietdoesn’twork’ s post? And also the girl I mentioned to you in one of my first posts to you on this thread? They both put significant amounts of weight on in the first few weeks; it could not possibly be fat so it must have been water.
    On that same TDDW thread; Aud did say her husband had gone on to try another diet and that seemed (then) to be working.
    It might be worth a look Arla or let’s hope fervently, and I do, that your natural decrease in weight continues.

It is really kind of you to wish us all well when your own experience has been so disappointing and downright upsetting for you.

I sincerely hope that the next time you come back to say Hello; you can tell us about some big positive breakthrough for you.

Take care and keep your chin up (as we Brits say)
    xx

That is so kind of you Luvtcook. xx

Another special Hello to Speedy!

I only remembered this last night (when I was lying awake in bed); I don’t know if you have a bottle with a mist spraying top on it?
    A fine mist mind, not a garden centre type of plant spraying one. If not you can get them cheaply at good health food shops.
    If you can get your hands on one; put, yes you’ve guessed! 4 drops of RR into it with some water and spray liberally around your body and head.
    This will go into your aura and further, hopefully, reduce any anxiety held there. You might think this is all lentil-eating, jesus sandal wearing, peace and love trollicks but it’s not and you did give the RR to your precious pooch; so you must believe a bit in the concept.

It’s definitely not too late to buy a spray type bottle and get going; especially first thing in the am and last thing at night.
    Also you could add 10 drops or so (neat this time) to a bath and have a good long soak; it will go into your skin all over this way.

Whatever you decide to do; keep going after your operation. It will still work on the anxiety you have accumulated. We’ll speak again before Friday.
    (Is someone going with you to hold your hand?).

BooBoo xx

Couldn’t agree more, Barbarita! We can do it, LOACAs!

🙂 PBB I’m usually the one who is the most lentil-eating, Jesus sandal wearing, peace and love old hippy type (in both senses of hippy!)

I’ve clearly given you the impression that I don’t believe in RR etc but I didn’t mean to! In fact I ran out today so urgently need some more tomorrow.
    I totally agree you accumulate stress – and memories in your body not just your mind. That’s why I think I’m keen now that it is over so I can get on with getting rid of all that accumulated stress.
    I’m now not 100% convinced that I will pop my clogs during it. I Googled fear of anaesthetic and found a fair number of people each saying they were convinced they were going to die than afterwards saying actually it was fairly nice!
    (If that’s not anyone’s experience, please wait unti Monday before you write about it! My bravery is fragile still!)

Actually went to my Mindfulness-Art group this morning – very useful it was.

Yes I’m getting a lift in and am being picked up and my precious dog is being looked after and – that’s the main thing.
    I’ll bore you all next week with the de=briefing! 🙂

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

Hello and Welcome to Tassi Terri, Claydo and ushush.

Hi Tassi Terri – You will find lots of support on this thread if you stick with it. Good Luck; keep us posted on how you do.

Hi Claydo – I find it really touching to hear that LOACA‘s get support from this thread just by reading the posts; especially when, like you, they are doing the FD alone.
    However, I’ve just got to the end of your post and what a result so far! Lordy, you should be giving us classes in how to lose 29lbs in 3 months!
    WEIGH TO GO!!!!

Hi ushush – On the basis of this very long thread filled with LOACA’s who have successfully lost all varying amounts of weight; I’d have to happily disagree with your friends. You’ve already made a great start; so I would just carry on and enjoy proving them wrong!

Hi JeanDee – You always have something nice and positive to say to us – Thanks!

Hi piper – Did you see my special message to you posted on 11.04.14 – there is no point in leaving a nice message if it doesn’t get read!
    Or that could be you doing your bashful thing?….

Hi jojo – That is one of the downsides of giving anyone advice or suggestions if you don‘t really know them; you are suggesting stuff that they’ve already tried or already given up etc.
    Rather like you did with Arla. As long as you appreciate that my suggestions/comments always come from a well meaning stance.
    Well done on your weight loss for this week already; now, please tell us about why you decided to fast back to back?

Hi LUVTCOOK – How is your actual weight loss going after your pesky start? Were you one of the braver LOACA’s who measured? I was too wussy. Have you considered just having 2 meals a day on FD’s? Just a thought.
    And also; have I missed something here? You all seem to be doing back to back fasts! I read every word of this thread (!) and I haven’t seen (read) any conferring….

Hi ply24mp – Your weight loss so far is nothing short of incredible really – nearly a stone in about 6 weeks! I too really love the marble in the jar idea! Lovely to see a visible reminder of how well you‘ve done; though really, it cannot beat just looking in the mirror at so much less of you!

On that basis; I am giving you the STAR LOACA of the week award!

Must go and start dinner.
    Oh goody Secret Eaters is on telly tonight. Last week my husband watched it with me and he ate a bar of chocolate during it; it’s that type of show! (I didn’t have any; I’m a Saint…….)
    Knuckle down Ladies and keep away from the chocolate!
    Onwards and Downwards!

Woohoo! Thanks PBB!

Dear Saint Boo: I think anyone that can sit next to chocolate bar and not eat derves canonization. I don’t dare have anything in the house that I should not eat (let alone sit next to it on the couch). Good for you.

And yes I am doing back to back fasts. I have to say, for me that is the way to go. I can’t believe how good I feel today (Day 2) compared to yesterday. I got all the headache stuff out of the way on low carb long ago, but my Day 1 fasts always are manageable but a bit of a struggle. Just always feel bit off ….not as sharp at work as I would like. Today….world, get out of my way, I’m comin’ thru. Feel great, a little bit “hungry-ish” but no big deal, sharp minded and a whole lot better than yesterday. Am even considering (and this may be a sign I am not as clear headed as I think) of adding a 3rd fast (or at least until dinner time..so, say 2 3/4 days). It just seems to worst part if over and way not take advantage of it.

According to the scale 15 min ago I am now down 9 lbs. (I know some of this will bounce back with resuming eating but I do think it may be the better point to compare one week to the next as there is no food interference, no water weight, no variability). And I expect it might be down a smidge more tomorrow morning (usally my lowest wieght is after my second day).

So I am pretty pleased with how things are finally shaking out. Its not amazing like ply24mp and not “10 stone something” like you, but I am happy. For me its a good solid start. So we move into the Easter Weekend with a bit of good news around our table of LOACAS…just wish we could find a bit of magic for Arla. I know everyone feels her frustration.

Hi PreciousBooBoo,
    As you know I am not a patient person and I need results for my efforts. I noticed on the forums that the most successful weight losses were fasters who did back to back fasts. We think we can’t do this but actually it wasn’t that difficult. I had drinks all day and 300 cal meal for dinner so I slept well. The results were so much greater than expected and there is 5 eating days ahead over an Easter Weekend which will involve meals out( no chocolate for me though, doesn’t tempt me anyway).
    My voice was on television bbc se tonight, my choir sand at the Turner Gallery in Margate, their 3rd birthday celebration. Not quite my 5 minutes of fame but it was a great event. I treated myself to a new necklace to celebrate my weight loss, silver Celtic design. My black leather jacket which has always been tight now fits like a glove, happy, happy, happy.
    For those of you having a tough time with your weight loss please try back to back fasting – it works.
    He Speedy – good Luck tomorrow. I used to be terrified of anaesthetic, made my will before having a Caesarian( 24 yrs ago), then I discovered that actually these days it is really much safer and more pleasant. Blissful long sleep, no sickness. Trust me I have had 9 operations in the last 15 years and each one has been – nice – no stress, no pain and every op. has rectified my health issue. Hope this makes you feel more relaxed. If not try the yoga -Om. Thinking of you and sending calm thoughts. Remember you can’t eat a thing for 24 hours, that’s probably a pound off.

Trying hard to stay out of the jelly beans after a stressful day!
    My fast days have gotten mixed and jumbled over the last few weeks for a variety of reasons, so I have done back-to-back days at least once. I agree with luvtocook that it wasn’t as bad as I expected, but I didn’t feel the energy rush and sense of well-being that she experienced. The idea of getting the fasting overwith quickly is somewhat appealing!

Boo, of course I read your post… of course I’m being bashful….do not reinforce the bashful thing… I’m working hard to improve… I put your words in my heart… and I water them everyday.

Thank you.

Hi JoJo, wow 9! That’s something indeed. I am feeling OK. Thanks for you reassurance. xx

ply24mp

Hi,

Where can I buy Fibre One cereal in the UK?
    I only eat Fibre/porridge on my non-fast days currently because of the calories but this looks like an amount of cals I could include daily.

Thanks

Hi All, just reporting back as promised and as expected one day non fasting and a 1.5 gain. I am not going into a panic mode though, only planned a 2 lb loss so the rest was a bonus. However I have hatched a cunning plan. As my social diary is packed to the hilt from tomorrow night until Tuesday I have decided to fast today and tomorrow until my fish and chip supper tomorrow night. I know! don’t shoot yet, let me explain, I promise not to become an anorexic, that would take some doing at my weight plus some serious brain washing. I have just been analysing my performance and noticed it’s about catch up dieting. I think it would be more positive for me to fast before events thereby avoiding weight gain, possible to maintain thereby avoiding those negatives. What do you think? In other words I am going to change my fast days to Thursday and Friday since most of my eating is Sat and Sunday. If I gain through lack of will power I will add a fast on Monday( punishment), if not I won’t. Also I can’t take matches out of my tower because they are glued in place, it is now called inspiration tower. A friend saw it last night, thought it was hilarious, he is going to make one too, get this, for successful dates – men ! It will be a very small tower, more like a step.
    If you have any warnings about four days fasting in one week send them over, I am listening. Sun is shining here and dog walk, gardening and decorating await! Good luck all – don’t eat the Easter eggs, you will regret it! Buy yourself something pretty in a size too small.

Hi Jojo. Thanks for your lovely response. I want to share some cheer. This week I spent with two dogs and four grandchildren on the SE coast of NSW. We walked along sand each day for at least an hour. We ate whatever we wanted in small amounts. Includes fish n chips, choc mint biscuits and icecream. I came home today and got on the scales wondering. Lo and behold, my weight is the same. I fasted last Friday, the day before we went, and today, Thursday. I think I am having smaller treats, and that I am not as hungry on non fast days. I am very grateful that I do not eat in the unthinking and emotional way that I used to.
    I love the idea of the crawling novel. 🙂 I am so happy about my weight being under control at age 67. For me, it is an emotional victory. So even if the weight loss slows, I am happy with my new slim body. The loss of the 10 cm (4 inches) from my waist makes me the happiest. As does the reduction in BP meds.
    I can stick with the 5:2 precisely because it is not 24/7.
    Everyone, please keep up all the lovely supportive posts.

Hi Jojo, just love your analysis and constant thinking about what works for your body, mind, and lifestyle! I like the idea of pre-emptive or proactive rather than catch-up fasting. I did 4 days of fasting a few weeks ago (not really on purpose, got sick on Friday after fasting Monday-Thursday) to no ill effect. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do it every week, but it sounds like it would be just for this transition week as you change your fasting days. I wonder if the two days of fasting before the weekend will make you less likely to overindulge? Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
    Bayleafoz, so glad that you enjoyed your vacation in every way, and still had good news on the scale! A book I read proposed the theory that calories eaten when we are happy and socializing somehow don’t cause as much weight gain as the bingeing under stress calories. Emotional victories are the best kind of victories!

Hi Claydo,

I am in the US, so sorry I have no shopping advice for Fiber One, but I imagine there must be some similar high fiber low calorie option in the UK? Have you tried Amazon? They have everything! My kids get most of their groceries from Amazon.

Thanks ply24mp, according to my old mum, every problem can be solved if you think outside of the box( in her day the term was – if youv’e a mind to do it). That’s where my positivity came from. My negativity comes from a 28 year marriage with a man who undermined me constantly, amazing I survived really. But that’s history now. Moving on and taking a scientific approach, although some ideas are just common sense. I hope your ‘happy socialising theory of burning more cals’ is true because I am a demon for going out with friends, not all of them sadly are fun to be with though. Some duty meets. I have just been thinking about how to attract more fun like minded friends, party animals, any ideas – advertise? Not ‘men’ particularly as I could do with a cooling off period, post separation. I don’t think loneliness is conducive to dieting.

So I am going for my second back to back this week although I don’t think the fish and chip supper will come in under 500, I won’t eat the batter and I will leave half the chips.

Thanks Bayleafoz, your holiday sounds lovely. Looking forward to seeing my son this Sunday, family gathering at a restaurant. I hope there is some nice fish on the menu? Resisting the pork belly is so hard, I love it.

THE ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDREDTH POST ON THIS THREAD!!!!

Hello Couscous

You are a lion amongst men posting on this thread!

I had a feeling you would research the ingredients; would you mind telling me what you gleaned please? But will you post it on the other thread where I left the message for you? I don’t want to upset anyone on here who was kind enough to give me advice and try to help.

Speak soon

Absolutely – we don’t have to be frumpy or uncomfortable in our clothes or our skin. I have lost 5 lbs with 35 more to go. I’m also petite. I’d like to stay below 140 for the rest of my days. I exercise daily, but more intensely four times a week at the gym. It’s got to be a lifestyle change for me. Good luck to all and let’s keep checking in with one another.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.