HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,951 through 6,000 (of 7,330 total)

• Morning from Lancashire ladies,

Mum giggled when I said good morning from Melbourne cinque. …

I think she has turned the corner, she seems to be a LOT better, more upbeat again, the nurse is bringing her some sort of cover to put her leg into so she can have a shower, Bless her she said I don’t want to be a smelly old woman!

I am putting weight on very quickly so I am making a big effort this week to keep to 1200 kcals…. that hopefully should stop the gain.

I haven’t been on the scales as I know looking at me I have put on quite a lot….

Keep in touch ladies, your posts are cheering 2 of us on, I may even attempt a fast tomorrow mum permitting he he

Audrey

Audrey
    Oh you have too many stresses!! Weight goes on more easily at these times. Tell your Mummy ‘greetings from sunny Queensland too!’
    I haven’t weighed myself since Monday morning. Will have a little look before breakfast tomorrow. I probably have chocolate running through my veins!!!
    Good fasting one and all!!

Thanks athunsia

I am struggling with my diet at the moment, but I will not give in…

I think when I get home I need to get my clown trousers out…..

For those of you who don’t know, I kept a pair of trousers that I wore for ruby’s christening they are way too big now, they are a visual reminder of how far I have come, I think I need to have a long hard look at myself …..

Audrey

That’s a good idea. I have size 14 to size 20 in my cupboards!!!
    Bashing yourself up about putting weight on doesn’t help. When we ‘diet’ we have to be quite selfish and keep ourselves motivated and encouraged. In your case you’re putting a lot of your energy into your Mum (not a bad thing) and your family. There’s not much ‘me time’ dear.
    I just have to worry about me and my hubby and I struggle so much!

Thanks athunsia nice to know I am not alone…..

Audrey

Hi Audrey, and Athunusia! ??
    So glad to hear that your mum is a lot better Audrey! Hopefully that will make the days less stressful for both of you, and that will make it easier for you to choose what is good for you to eat.
    And that will mean you won’t even think about pulling out those clown trousers!

Hoping it has been a good day for you Athunusia.

I’m fasting tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Cinque
    I’m fasting tomorrow. Had the mince sauce and pasta tonight for dinner…..with fetta cheese. I really hadn’t eaten anything nutritious all day. Oh an apple. We’re having a big salad tomorrow night.
    Good luck tomorrow.
    Gee emotions play a huge role in the fasting business!! When I feel down I just want to murder some junk food!!

Happy that you mum is better Audrey. Frame up the clown trousers with a sign – never again.
    Good luck on your Fast Clique and to you Athunusia

Thanks Prema!
    How are you going Athunusia? I am going fine, accidentally had my coffee this morning but never mind. I had poached chicken in my miso soup a couple of hours ago, and looking forward to a bowl of chickpea and veggie soup in a few more hours.

Hope you don’t feel down today and if you do, that you can avoid murdering some junk food! Ooo it is hard work!

I hope everyone else is good!

Good morning from me,

Well I completed a successful fast day yesterday came in under 500 kcals. Mum decided to ” join ” me, she had 2 biscuits or cookies you may call them for lunch, then we had roast chicken, and veg for our evening meal, she finished that off with a cream cake! Hehe…

I feel great for doing a fast I have eaten so much rubbish these past few days it was nice to give my tummy a break…. isn’t it funny how quickly we slip back into our old ways.

I am sorry for moaning these past few days but hopefully the happy Audrey is back again now. My mum has really appreciated getting get well messages from around the world and I have VERY MUCH appreciated all your support. ..

I am going to try the clown trousers on when I get home just to re motivate me, my auntie called last night and my mum told her about my fast and was really proud, isn’t it funny no matter how old we are we still want to please our parents? Anyhow I am still over 30 lbs less than I was this time last year, not as low as I wanted to be, but I can’t complain if someone had asked me last year did I want to lose 30 lbs I would have snapped their hand off.

Sorry I am waffling, will stop now, have a great day, and again thanks ladies….

Audrey

Lovely news Audrey that you are in a Fasting Friendly space at your mum’s house.
    Best wishes for a good, normal eating day today.

My day has been good and a lovely fast.

Say good evening to your mum from Melbourne. It is the end of springtime here and the days are getting longer. The shops are full of Christmes things, and pictures of snow and reindeer, while the summer fruit is on display and the air conditioners are turning on! Cognitive dissonance!

?

Good day to you cinque

It seems strange to me to think of christmas being hot….I am used to battling the elements to get home to Lancashire. .. it is saying we may be in for a arctic blast here lol

Enjoy your evening

Audrey

Thanks for all the kind welcomes! Now I will have to look up Mark Moseley’s documentary.
    I think this 5/2 thing will take some practice, but I also think it is very do-able.
    I am having a fasting day today, but I do like the idea of still being able to eat today. The other days I have been watching what I eat. One problem I have (and it caused a minor pig-out last week ) it that sometimes I can’t sleep, so I come downstairs and have a tea or a warm milk and that can lead to some bread and jam or whatever. My “minor” slip up was at least a fasting day’s calories.
    What I/we have to learn, though, is that making a mistake is not the end. We have to learn from those slip-ups, figure out how to avoid them the next time.
    I stopped drinking alcohol about 1.5 years ago and I think the same way I stopped drinking can be applied here. Learn from your mistakes, start over. Be kind to yourself
    Good luck all and a Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

Hi everyone.
    I’m not really at the stage of adding up calories on fast days. I kind of know whats good and bad though.
    I’m going to write down the caloric value of the typical things I eat. It will be easy then. I suppose it’s only my first week. I’ll get more organized.
    Weigh day on Monday morning so I’ll have to be careful on the weekend. I did it that way to ‘encourage’ me to restrain myself.
    Cinque
    So long as I’m outside working in the garden I’m pretty good. It’s so darn hot that I’m sopping wet with perspiration. I’m sure I lose a few kilos of fluid. The physical work is good for weight loss!!!
    Audrey
    I’m so glad your Mum is feeling happier and not so battered! I agree about falling back into bad eating habits. I was reading today that there are chemicals in the brain plus certain genes that tell you to eat more.
    So it’s sometimes out of our control 😉
    It’s good that you had a successful fast day. It builds up your spirits 🙂 If I could get away with it I’d have watermelon for Christmas lunch while soaking in a cool spa outside under an umbrella!! I’m not partial to all the Christmas hullabaloo!! I feel it’s a lot of pressure to be happy and sometimes I just can’t pretend that much 🙁
    Anyway dear 30lbs is a wonderful weight loss!! You should be very proud!!
    Prema thank you for you wishes. It wasn’t too bad a day. I hope things are going well for you.
    Freckleface wise words. Yes I thought those mid night snacks were calorie free!! Especially if you didn’t tell anyone about your pig out!! I’ll have to empty all my drawers in my bedroom 🙂
    Best wishes to everyone. Be kind to yourselves ?

Hi everyone, and sorry I’ve been so quiet. And welcome FF – I’m another non-drinker – six years now.

I had a week off last week and was away from home, dealing with my elderly father who had minor surgery (although you’d think it was a heart transplant from his reaction!!). Of course, when I got back to my desk on Monday the work had piled up – I’m still trying to get on top of it now.

I tend not to have fast days when I’m on leave (good job I only ever take a week at a time!) but I then eat way more than I should. So, I’ve not yet weighed myself; today is my second fast day this week and I shall assess the damage tomorrow morning!

Blaise welcome back,

I too have been parent sitting and piling weight on so I know where you are coming from…

I am hoping its easy on easy off…. Good luck with weigh in keep in touch

Audrey

Morning!

Hi Freckle, I love what you say about making mistakes and then learning from them, I bet I am not the only one who was brought up to think that making a mistake was something dreadful! So much more effective and life embracing to see them as an excellent learning mechanism!

Watermelon for Christmas sounds perfect Athunusia, we could carve it into the shape of a ham, and sit it in the middle of the table!

Hi Blaise, Hope your dad is okay now… you were a bit tough on him, after all he had MAN surgery! 😉

Good luck with that pile of work!

Evening, Audrey and Audrey’s mum!

Hi Girls, Audrey, 30 lbs is fantastic and my best wishes to your mum it was lovely of her to keep you company. Athunusia, thanks for the encouragement – the fast went on OK and Im back on track. Im glad that the fast day went well – keep up the good work.
    Hi Freckie good that you are doing this. I sometimes find that if I just have drinks – ie 1 cup of coffee (with 1/2 cup milk ) in the morning, heaps of water, green tea for lunch and then a 500cal dinner – I dont get so hungry and can sleep better. Stay active on the fast days – try to do the 10,000 steps and you wont think of eating.

Blaise, my best wishes to your dad.

Cinque, your words of wisdom and encouragement are certainly wonderful.
    Happy weekend girls

Hi everyone

quick word – Audrey, we don’t mention the eagles – or moving from LOTR to 5:2 we don’t mention weight gains – or I would be here all night! eeeeek! – get back on that horse!!!!!

I hope you mum is feeling better after the shower, hope you got her some rescue remedy – or heck get to basics, a stiff brandy – puts the world to rights – dunno why I wrote that as I can’t’stand the taste, bloody brilliant in beef stroganoff, which apparently I can eat on this high fat low carb thing I am having a go at – but not onions, no mushrooms and not rice – sounds like not worth having.

First meal I cooked for OH was beef stroganoff, and I cooked the onions and mushrooms, took them out of the pan and cooked the beef, added the brandy and cream and managed to serve it without the onions and mushrooms, so it might be doable. Said it was a great meal – though I think he would have said that if I had served a deep fried pizza!!! (When in Glasgow …..)

Eaten all the carbs in the house, so I am ready – rather sad that there weren’t many, and Cinque, didn’t eat the chocolates from the other week, which is amazing as OH simply put them on top of the fridge in plain sight – spotted some croissants in the kitchen, but will just have to stay in bed tomorrow until they are eaten. Have salmon and salad to eat! Though haven’t actually checked yet if chocolate is fat – good – or carbs – bad! Bet there are carbs though, imagine a diet with heaps of chocolate!

I’m depressed already but looking forward to making a nice olive oil dressing for the salad!

Just re read that sentence and I’m really depressed now – checking out the chocolate as soon as I have finished!

Hit to all the new folk – good luck, some great advice on here as well as my tosh! Though somehow I have managed to lose quite a lot of weight, so there is hope for us all!

Wish me luck everyone!!! Its going to be a long month – or perhaps three weeks – might just be two weeks or even a long weekend but I’ll report back whether forsaking carbs is worth it (somehow I think we all know the answer to that one!!!!)

Have a great Friday!

Blaise hello
    You’re a busy girl. I hope you’re Dad improves quickly. They tend to be grumblebums don’t they?!
    Just do your best at fasting. Life issues sometimes deal you a bad hand and you just have to roll with it. Good luck with weigh day!!
    Cinque
    That’s a great idea with the watermelon!! I’m feeling like some right now!!
    Milena
    You’re funny!! I’m wondering why you’re mentioning LOTR ( Lord of the Rings) and eagles??? And while I’m at it whats OH??
    Glad you’re weight is coming off!! Good luck!!

BTW
    Does anyone know of people who are vegan and doing the fasting ‘diet’. My daughter has tried many times to lose weight off her thighs, calves and feet. Sounds weird hey!? She used to do a lot of exercises at classes but hurt her shoulders and back. She now rides mountain bike many kilometers with her husband.
    She gets lymphatic drainage massage once a week. That’s the only thing to explain her problem. I suggested the 5:2 as it would be easy for her just to eat vegetables all fast day. She can eat a whole head of broccoli in one go!!!!

I weighed myself this morning and was pleasantly surprised but the official weigh day is Monday so we’ll see.
    Stay strong fasters ??

Poor Milena, Your mighty carb battle is worthy of LOTR!
    Interestingly, after being someone who didn’t like fats and oils generally: when I cut out sugar, I found I naturally became more hungry for fats and oils!
    Bad news about chocolate though, it is pretty much equal parts fat and sugar, hence why we love it so much!

But I’m betting you will discover fabulous dishes that you are allowed to eat under this regime! Enjoy!

Do you get some roast chicken with that gorgeous salad?

Hi Prema, liquids on Fast Days is my trick too: lumpy liquids in the case of soups, but liquid never the less! I love the evidence that soups keep you full longer, and I need the liquids…. and the tea and coffee!

Guys please!!! I don’t know what LOTR stands for except Lord of the Rings.
    And what’s OH ??

Morning all

Athunsia oh is other half….Need to go sorry…just a short post but couldn’t leave u wondering.

Milena great to hear from you. Let us know how you are doing on your new regimen. ..why can’t I mention eagles?

Sorry have to rush. Good luck to you all Cinque blaise prema and freckles …Sorry if I have missed anyone. ..blame the hormones. ..

Audrey

Audrey
    Thank you. I’m obviously a bit slow with abbreviations 🙂
    Why are you rushing? Don’t forget to breath xxx

Well, my weigh-in was disappointing but unsurprising – gained a pound and a half inch on my waist. I did not eat mindfully on my week off! Onwards and upwards. Best wishes to everyone.

I am of a ‘certain age’ well past 60, I was developing quite a spare tyre despite not gaining weight, honestly! I started reading the 5.2 diet book which I had bought some time ago and although at 9 stone and 5feet half an inch I was’nt particularly overweight the spare tyre was concerning as type 2 diabetes in my family. I was fond of butter which I have cut out completely, also cut back quite hard on carbs, I have one slice of w’meal bread per day only, I react to gluten, I measure out rice, one tablespoon dry weight, pasta 75g dry weight, and if I have potatoes 2 very small ones, not mad about potatoes anyway. I eat more protein now, start the day with an egg or two, have chicken at night with plenty of veg, plain milk yoghurt, read all food labels, esp sugar – avoid – it has not been easy, I do have carb cravings,
    BUT I have lost 4lbs, it has taken six weeks, I have asthma and starving is not an option, also have thyroid problem. I suspect that the older I get the less carb I need, everything extra is deposited as fat, but just a theory.

Hi Bruni, welcome here!
    I am so glad the changes you have made to your diet are helping you lose that excess weight. 4lbs over 6 weeks is a great loss.
    Are you also doing the 5:2 intermittent fasting?

Hello everyone else! When Milena mentioned eagles and LOTR I figured it had to be Lord of the Rings. An old joke perhaps?

Athunusia, I have seen posts here from Vegans, I just searched it (top right hand corner) and lots of results came up. This is the top one: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-vegan-52er/
    Best wishes to your daughter. 🙂

I’m getting ready for my Sunday fast tomorrow! Best wishes all!

Special hi to your mum Audrey! Hi to you too!

Good morning ladies…..

Well I had a very busy day yesterday but perhaps have a bit more time to post today.

Bruni welcome to our little corner of the forum, keep in touch it’s good to talk.

Athunsia, how are you today, mum sends her love, she loves your name!

Blaise, be more mindful this week and I am sure you will see good results, love from mum to you too, she calls you the fire girl how is your dad doing?

Cinque, have a great weekend, we need milena to sort out the Eagles thing, I didn’t understand it either! No doubt she will soon be back… a special good morning from my mum to you, she said she is really going to miss this global attention when I go home tomorrow evening.

Prema, how are you doing? Give us a shout out if you need us, hope you are managing o.k. love from mum too!

Audrey

Cinque
    Thanks for the vegan info dear. I’ll tell my daughter about it. I hope your day’s gone well.
    Audrey
    it’s sweet that your Mummy likes my name. I wish continued improvement for her. And give her a sneaky kiss from me ? I hope your day has gone well too of course.
    Today’s been ok. Very hot again so I only got outside for some weeding and tidying up the pet’s cage well into the afternoon. This morning my OH and I watched some episodes of Escape to the Country and Flog It.
    We love the countryside in the UK and the country villages and houses.
    Hopefully we’ll be going to Dent around April next year. My OH is a model train lover.
    Onwards and upwards to you all ?

Good morning Audrey’s mum, I am glad we will still get updates when Audrey goes home. Best wishes for a good recovery!

Hello everyone else, best wishes for the day!

Sunday Fast day here, going slow, listening to radio programs and pottering around housework type things and some computer solitaire!

Hi Bruni, welcome. Sounds that you are off to a good start. Well done. Audrey Im doing OK thanks for the support. Take care girls

Morning all,

I am back home and busy decorating. … Ian has decided to ain’t the hallway and stairs so we haven’t had a minute since I got home….

My mum continues to improve daily and is now feeling much happier in herself, her leg is going to take some time to get better she has made a big mess of it…

Just a quick post today, as we are finishing painting before the joiner comes later in week to fit 3 new doors. ….

Keep in touch everyone together we are stronger

Audrey

Hi Audrey, lovely to see your post! Have fun with the painting and decorating!
    I’ve put a father Christmas ornament on the window sill!
    I will do more!
    Fast day tomorrow.
    Best wishes to everyone, and a special wave to Audrey’s mum. So glad she is going well.

Hi Audrey, glad that you mum is getting better. Cinque good luck on your fast.
    Ill do my fast on Saturday. Feeling a little tired today – winding down towards the end of the year. Take care everyone

Morning cinque and Prema, where is everyone else?

I have had a busy few days at home, not really eating that well but am fasting tomorrow and Saturday ….
    Hope you are all doing ok.

Keep in touch, together we are stronger

Audrey

Hi all,

It’s the 1st time I have been on my own for almost 4 weeks. I am celebrating by making some christmas biscuits (cookies ) for my granddaughter’s to decorate when they pop over at weekend, have to say they smell lovely!

Hope I can avoid eating them on my fast day tomorrow. … how is everybody? Where is everybody? Keep in touch.

Audrey

Hello Audrey I have just woken up. So nice to hear you have had some precious own time!

I am having a busy day but lovely, with three sisters and our cousin from New Zealand.
    I will take it as gently as I can, as my health is a bit so so after a couple of busy days earlier in the week.
    Good fast day yesterday for me.

Prema I hope you are able to take it easy and get some rest in. Best wishes.

30 degrees centigrade today and hot for the next few days! Won’t complain until it is the high thirties.

Fast day yesterday, so just thinking about breakfast!

Enjoy your day cinque, I am just getting ready for bed.

The day after a fast is my favourite. I am fasting tomorrow and Saturday. ..liquid only tomorrow followed by 500 kcal on Saturday. I have however just tried the christmas biscuits ….very tasty indeed HeheHe

Talk again soon, enjoy your family day. I myself am enjoying a very peaceful evening it’s bliss.

Audrey

Hi cinque, going to have a restful weekend. Enjoy your family 🙂
    Audrey its not Christmas without biscuits – have fun

Good morning from cheshire Prema and cinque. ..

It’s a fast day for me today, hope you have both had good days, will be in touch later.

I am sorry to say I sampled the biscuits and they were really tasty oops! Let’s hope I do better today.

Audrey

Sampling the biscuits sounds like a wonderful idea Audrey. And then Fasting today a very sensible idea! 😉

Hi Prema! I’ve had a lovely day and I am very much looking forward to a quiet weekend!

I have done the 5/2 for about 2 weeks. Maybe I have lost a kilo, maybe a pound. But I feel much better. One thing that I have noticed is that I pay better attention to what I eat on the non-fast days. I am more mindful (which is a goal of mine) when eating.
    Yesterday, a non-fast day, I was depressed because my broken bone has not healed together.
    I went to the bag of chocolates I bought to send as Christmas gifts. Ate 2 small ones…then 2 medium ones….then stopped. I didn’t go on to eat myself sick and hateful of myself. That’s progress! Good luck to all today!

Freckle face,

Congratulations on your loss, at least the scales are going downwards. And well done on the chocolate front progress indeed. …

Have a lovely weekend

Audrey

Congratulations Freckle Face, that mindfulness is exactly what I found when starting 5:2! It is such a lovely feeling. My portion sizes immediately went down, and snacking became less.

I am so sorry about your bone not healing. Does it just need more time? Or do they have to do something?

Hello everyone else! It is Sunday Fast Day for me.

Because I don’t use weighing scales, I notice my weight disappear in jumps. I seemed to put on weight after that too much sugar day with my sisters, about three weeks ago, and then I slowly, slowly seemed to get back to where I was before it, and now I have a feeling I might soon have one of those lovely days when I go ‘Hang on! I have definitely got smaller!’ And then have fun trying on all my clothes again! (While I would be glad to lose it off my belly, I really want to lose it off the hanging fat of my upper arms and breasts: hear that 5:2 fairy?)

Is the painting done Audrey? I hope you (and everyone else who fasted yesterday!) had a really good day!
    And even those who didn’t Fast yesterday! 😉 Like me!

Cheers all! Sunday Fast Day is my favourite day!

Feeling so depressed. Husband grumpy at me. Not talking. Fast day yesturday was very hard. In a very dark place today. No one else to talk to. Just need some hugs and understanding please

Hi Athunusia, big hugs coming your way!
    Congratulations for getting through yesterday’s Fast, even though it was very hard.
    Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpu_PV3BTfI Have a roar!

Morning ladies from a wet, windy and cold cheshire….

Athunsia. …sending you happly vibes and BIG BIG HUGS your way , cheer up soon my friend. Rotten husband hope you make him suffer.

Cinque, I didn’t manage my 2nd fast yesterday so joining you in sunday fast day. ..

The painting is done, the new doors are on just waiting for new carpet to go down next week. …

Granddaughter’s came yesterday so we decorated the biscuits, there was icing everywhere, my steamer is definitely coming out to play today, and of course I had to sample the biscuits before they went. ….HeheHe

Keep in touch everyone together we are stronger. …

Audrey

Tag for Fast Day Audrey, mine has pretty well finished, but it has been a lovely cruisey one, so I hope yours is being the same.

Wow the renovations are exciting.
    And what fun with your grandchildren. My granddaughter arrives tomorrow with her mum (Rose Audrey 😉 ) The little one is 16 months old. No icing biscuits this year I think! They’ll be here til next Sunday.

Night night!

Viewing 50 posts - 5,951 through 6,000 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.