Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,251 through 3,300 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi everyone, new and old alike!

It’s so interesting to see how you’re all faring- scales, weight, hunger, calories, exercise and how we all manage the various complex details…..just remember it’s a slow and steady journey towards good health. Impatiently racing towards an ideal goal weight, at the expense of a sensible and sustainable way of eating/life, will inevitably set you up for disappointment.

Be your own best friend. Give yourself caring and kind feedback, rather than haranguing and nagging yourself about achieving some form of ‘perfection’.

View this as a new way of living for the long term, to assist preventing and reversing issues like higher blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, some cancers and cardiacvascular deterioration. There’s also good news about this 5:2, assisting inflammatory issues, such as IBS and psoriasis.

That’s enough, I’m getting off my soapbox now.

I just wanted to tell you all that I’m nearly 23 kg lighter (22.8), after 18 months and one week of 5:2 !
    Feeling so much more healthy and moving so much easier now.

Less depression and feelings of doom too, I’m feeling much more upbeat. I’ve started some brain-training as well as sudoku and scrabble online, to keep my brain thoroughly well exercised. I’m enjoying it and aim to beat the computer with my scrabble games…..haha! Might take a while!

Well have a lovely weekend everyone! Cheers for now.

Well done ihaw. You not only have achieved wonders with your own life on this wol, you are a constant source of wisdom and inspiring thoughts for the rest of us.
    Thanks mate. P 🙂

Thank you for your wise words ihaw. Very good advice that I needed this morning after hoping on the scales and seeing them stay exactly the same as last week. I spent a good fifteen minutes despairing and then pulled myself together. My waist is smaller so my organs are happier, my skin is bright and clear, my IBD symptoms seem to be improving (an unexpected side effect) and my mood is much improved. I’m two kilos off my goal and if I don’t reach it I am still very happy with the other benefits this wol is giving me.

ihaw thanks for posting I need such inspiration 🙂

Hi all
    end of my 6th week and fd, stomach grumbling.. I am ready for breakfast! Bit difficult last night as kids decided they needed food cooked just before I thought I was over the difficult time and ready for bed. I was proud of myself as I then watched a cooking program(what was I thinking) and I didn’t eat a thing.My body said “your OK you don’t need it!””. Weigh in this morning was worth it…I lost another kg…and some cms.Soup is working for me on fd! I will change from a 4:3 to 5:2now.

BKDad keep the bragging coming.You are inspiring and gave me a laugh….thanks for reminding me/us to take things lightly, not so seriously.

8forLinda,macandmui,I am heading to 60 as well,or size 10 whatever fits my frame better. I am 158cm high.I am so happy to finally see 69kg (be in the 60s)after 12 years.My thyroid starting playing up after my last child and I went from a 60kg to 80kg.Gee it creeps up.

I have taken on all your advice,keep it coming. Its a great lifeline.

Hi Fellow fast travellers,
    Fast day today as I have had a sad week. One of my young cats died on Monday, and as these young people are my surrogate children I have found this week pretty hard.

IHAW, well done you, as well as being a great source of wisdom, you are also living proof.

Weigh in for me will be tomorrow, but I did a few measures this morning, down another cm off the waist, and BP was 117/75 at the blood bank at the start of the week, which for me is a bit high. In total so far I have given away 22 kg and on November 12 it will be one year.

Enjoy your weekend folks 🙂

Charlie

Hi everyone, I’ve had a couple of weeks break from 5:2 as I became unwell and unfortunately that has developed further into bronchitis. Hopefully the new lot of medicine will get that under control quickly. On a positive note I am maintaining and slightly losing (about 100gm a day) my weight. This is due to a combination of my medications making me feel nauseous, not having any snacks in the house and no money to buy snacks! Hopefully back into it next week but only health permitting.
    HB

Hi Charlie, sorry to hear about one of your fur babies going off to cat heaven. I’m sure you were a wonderful caring mum, even tho’ your little one didn’t make it. Wish I could give you a big hug!

Hope you get better soon HB! Bronchitis is nasty. Keep well rested and lots of chicken soup.

Wow, IHAW – 23 kgs, what an achievement, congratulations; HB – hope you’re feeling better soon and sorry about the cat Charlie.

Whinge alert: Today I’ve had my first set-back on this new WOL after notching up 20 successful, easy fast days. I found a recipe on goodtoknow.co.uk for Chinese dumplings 63 cals a portion. After eating three, I began to get suspicious. Double checked, yep, “16 dumplings” in the ingredients and ‘serves 2’ confirmed that a portion must be 8 dumplings. It even says, “Yes, you read that right, 63 cals a portion!”. Ate two more. After all, the recipe falls under ‘meals under 200 calories’ so it can’t be 63 cals per dumpling if you’re getting eight of them. Triple-checked with OH (who wasn’t saying much and probably couldn’t believe his luck getting this much food on a fast day) but agreed with me – 8 dumplings per serve. I am so cross with myself for relying on this. Checking elsewhere, it seems it’s more like 40 cals per dumpling. I was so annoyed with my stupidity that I ate two more…… 280-441 cals depending on who you believe. I’ve already had 114 cals for breakfast. Ok, there’s my rant. Now for the help please – do I:

a) consider this a not-so-well-done fast day and just move on?
    b) eat myself silly for the rest of the today and try again tomorrow?
    c) accept that, although the health benefits of fasting are blown, maybe another long walk will result in an OK weight tomorrow?
    d) none of the above?

Apart from all that, I am pleased to report that after 10 weeks, I have lost 5.1 kgs so overall, I am happy – it just doesn’t seem like it right now.

thinatlast, in my opinion, choose a) & c)! The “damage” is done, but if this is your first stuff up, you should be congratulating yourself, not beating yourself up. You will laugh about it tomorrow. And as I always say to my children, making mistakes is part of life, just be sure to learn from them! A few Chinese dumplings will not undo all your great work!

Thanks Nama! Good advice – I’m already starting to laugh a bit about it. I guess it says a lot for all the great contributors on here that I came here first. Tomorrow’s another day, eh?

I am new contributor thinatlast. Been doing 5:2 since early Sept (5 kgs magically disappeared!) and been reading these threads since then. I think it is PVE who referred to us as “lurkers”! I too find this site very helpful as well as inspiring, figured it was time to ‘give a bit back’!

thinatlast I had to laugh at your comment about your OH not saying much – exactly what I would do if someone was giving me dumplings on a fast day 🙂

Nama, I ‘pop in’ now and then. It’s hard to reply to all the posts but all are certainly appreciated. So motivating. You can eat up a good hour of fast time hanging around on this forum. There aren’t usually many around on Sundays; most have more sense than to choose Sunday as a fast day. Well done with the 5kgs loss. I read your profile.
    Jenklar, you are too funny…

Hello to Southern Hemispherites from Tasmania, Aus! I started 5:2 after bursting into tears on the scales. Changed my attitude about food and exercise. Did heaps of research to see that this suited me. Started 3 weeks ago. I have lost 2kg so far. Its so encouraging to see results, no matter how small. I have so much more energy and am coping really well with the fast days!
    It is so encouraging to see others still having results after sticking at it for months!

Hi all
    I have got to below my original goal of 63 am now 62kg so total weight loss of 14kg in nearly a year. I feel as motivated and energised about my fast days as I was when I started and am looking forward to beautiful summer vegetables and many more fast days. . .BUT….I am feeling very nervous about what to do now, as I got to goal in April and went to one fast day a week and started to put weight on (3kg) and it was really hard to restart the 5.2.This time I definitely not doing 6.1 and will keep on the 5.2.
    How do others maintain??? Do you just eat a bit more on eat days??

Congratulations samechilcott, I agree, it doesn’t matter how slowly it comes off as long as it’s a downward trend overall – and MrsMiniMum, how encouraging to have shed all that weight in one year.

You ask how others maintain – my OH started this with me about 10 weeks ago and quickly realised he couldn’t afford to keep losing any more weight so went to 6:1. He basically mainlines food on the 6 feast days. So, it’s a big breakfast (toast wafting through the house), doorstep sandwiches for lunch and a hearty dinner plus all his usual snacks between meals. I don’t think that’s what you intend though. From what I’ve read, to maintain weight on 6:1, you would eat ‘normally’ on the non-fast 6 days. I expect you’d have to play around a little to see what works – since you’ve discovered 6:1 doesn’t work well for you. There are some great gurus on here and I’m sure they have some useful tips for once that goal weight has been achieved.

Hi Minimum
    I’ve been maintaining for 6 months after losing for the year before that. I hit below 60 (my goal- I’d dropped from 85) but found I had to continue on 2 fasts, with a bit of slack now on other days. My fasts are less strict too. I used to do only 350 cals, but have closer to 450 now.
    We found 2 fast days a week keeps our heads in the right place, is now a natural habit and OH knows it keeps his blood sugar down. We don’t count cals any more, but are definitely much more mindful of what we eat. We are both still really slowly going down, despite being in the middle of healthy. I am now often in the low 57kgs without trying. I will continue to fast twice to ensure I never put it on again!! Good luck P

Hi Everyone,
    I like reading all the posts and am trying to keep track of everyone and how they are doing.
    I had a disappointing week, I put on 0.1kg. I have been doing this for nearly two months now and haven’t lost a lot 3 kg maybe. I know it is supposed to be a slow process but I have a wedding next Saturday and hoped to be in the under 60kgs. I got excited as I was 60.9 a week ago and then was 61 on Friday my last fast day of the week. I have been measuring and not a lot there either. I have only lost couple of cms. I stated in August.

I’ve had my grumble now. Fast day tomorrow. I stay under 400 cals on fast days and try to stay under my tdde of 1553. I use my fitness pal to keep track but it is in kj’s but some of the measurements are in ounces, so maybe my calculations aren’t the best.

Am I being too impatient.
    Good luck for the incoming week I hope the kg and cm’s fall for us all.
    Jane

Hi… Im a bit lost… I read your posts and I get excited but I didnt lose much 🙁 as a matter of fact i think Ive put on! Ive done my first week but my bad is that I didnt weigh when i first started! Im going to do it for one more week and ser if there is any difference. The idea is to eat whatever you want for 5 days but not exeeding 2000 calories and on the fast days just eat 500 right? Which i was doing. Then what went wrong with me? Any advice? Thx 🙁

Hi Talar and welcome:

Well, you are not correct.

You eat 500 calories or less on your diet days and your TDEE or less on your non diet days. If your TDEE is less than 2000, it is no surprise you did not lose weight.

In addition, 5:2 is a slow weight loss diet, not a quick weight loss diet. With the body able to gain or lose two or more pounds a day, it is quite easy to go a week and not lose, or even gain a bit.

You need to do 5:2 for at least a couple of months to figure out how it works for you, but if you do it correctly for two months, you will probably not quit.

Here are some tips: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. Number 4 will explain TDEE.

Good Luck!

Dear Simvoeluv, thank you so much! This is informative!!! I cant forgive myself for mussing this point!!!! I was defintely eating less than 2000 calorie a day!!! Which is why obvioysly i put on weight. Im really sad!!!! But thank u so much!!

Short time lurker first time poster….
    Well I saw the BBC programme replayed a month or so ago and decided that this was something worth considering. I’d already looked at Brad Pilon’s Eat, Fast, Eat but the show really got me hooked on the idea of IF.
    So last Tuesday I started a 4 day fast which finished Saturday morning. Starting weight 120.1Kg finished at 116.5Kg I was pretty impressed with the 3.6 Kg loss. But I knew a lot of it was likely to be water so I didn’t get too excited. This morning after two days of regular eating, not to any plan, just ate when I was hungry, no calorie counting. Weighed in this morning at exactly where I finished on Saturday.
    Initial thoughts about the 4 day fast, not as tough as I thought it would be. No fainting, no headaches, hungry sometimes but keeping busy was the key. I had coffee during the day and since I don’t drink latte’s or a lot of milk it wasn’t a big stretch, clear beef broth at night around 50 Cals. Never looked forward to a bowl of soup as much 🙂 I did notice I was quite thirsty but I just stayed hydrated. One challenging thing was ignoring the random thoughts about food that would creep it at odd times just made me realise (yet again) how much of what we do with our bodies and food is just habitual.
    Today I’m rolling in to a 4:3 plan which I’m going to change to 5:2 in a couple of weeks (only because we are cruising to Noumea!). I’ll update in a week or so.
    Congrats to all who on here who are kicking goals 🙂

Notanothernick – That was an interesting read. I’m interested to learn about fasting while cruising/caravanning etc as we’re hoping to buy a narrow boat in the UK at some point and wondered how easy it would be to incorporate this WOL (obviously easier when you can get off the boat and go to a supermarket than it would be cruising in the ocean).

Morning all, first fd of the week for me before I head off tomorrow to Grade 7 camp as a parent helper for three days! I am slightly dreading the noise and slightly excited about the food – I have visions of the meals of my childhood being recreated – basically a dinner plate with more protein and carbs stuffed on it than any human could possibly consume. I fear I may be disappointed. It will probably be all steamed fish and micro greens – this generation are completely mollycoddled 🙂
    Hope everyone has a great week.

Thank you Thinatlast and PVE I will just keep on doing the 5.2 to keep me in the right head space and well done Purple and your OH for maintaining for 6 months.

Birdlady you sound so close to your wedding event weight. I find my weight fluctuates day by day, week by week but I still doing a downward trend so I don’t get too literal with the daily weigh ins. You are still going down that’s the main thing. Looking back at my dairy in the early days I was stuck at 70kgs for a couple of weeks and I walked really hard and long for a week and got the weight moving again. Worked for me.

Morning all, just a quick question. The Slendier noodles that I have heard about on here, can you buy them in Melbourne? And if so where can I find them? Have had a look online at Coles and Woolies but they don’t look like they stock in Victoria.

Hi, sorry to butt in, the noodles are in the health food isle at Safeway, I assume it would be the same at Coles….Countrygal

Slendier noodles are in Coles. They have changed the packaging recently. ..now a cardboard box.
    Their website is http://www.slendier.com.au
    Try that for outlets. Be sure to rinse them really well and don’t cook, just toss them in to a highly flavoured stir ‘fry’ or pasta sauce and warm through. Very filling and low low cal! P
    ps They are in the health food section of Coles. …I always have trouble finding them but they will be there. Very popular these days (thanks Dr M)

Thanks Coutrygal, had a quick look there but couldn’t see them. Will put the specs on and venture forth again!!

Thanks Purple, will search for them. Look out Coles staff I’m gonna hassle you today! 😉

Oops sorry Kierra, I didn’t realise the fish you were talking about was marinated. That is where they throw in the sugar! If you want extra flavour, lemon juice/zest and dill are great for fish as are a few other herbs and spices. If you marinate it yourself you can be sure of the calorie count while still getting flavour. I am trying to add more fish into my diet as it is a great lean meat with lots of nutritional value.

Drats – just realised I forgot to bring my tin of tuna to work! On a FD today, and last week I had the cauliflower tabouli for lunch which worked well to fill me up but I found that it didn’t quite last the distance so I thought I’d try it again but with a protein (and promptly left my protein at home!). I have added a bit of raw broccoli (processed to “rice” with the cauli) and some carrot sticks for snacks if I need them so hopefully I’ll do fine. Not starving this morning which is surprising given the amount of sugar I had on the weekend – two birthday parties in two days = not good for calorie counting. I just let go and enjoyed (without going overboard) knowing that a couple of good fast days (and maybe add in a third for this week) will sort it out.

Out at a good friend’s birthday dinner on Saturday night and (despite the wines) was pretty good. We had share platters so I didn’t get a lot of choice on the food but it was mostly seafood anyway, but indulged in a sticky date pudding for desert. I only managed about three mouthfuls, found it too sickly sweet and just ate strawberries instead. Normally I enjoy the rare opportunity to partake in desert but am not really enjoying the sweet foods that much now.

jenklar, even all those years ago when I was on year 7 camp they made us run on the beach before breakfast and there was only vitabriz, wholemeal toast or poached eggs for breakfast – no bacon, no sugar (but we were encouraged to use honey if we were used to a little sugar on the vitabritz or in a cup of cocoa). It was all lean meat and steamed veggies. Even if the food isn’t what you were looking forward to, it’s still nice to not have to cook for a few days – enjoy!

Slendier noodles are in Coles in their gluten free area. 🙂

Hi all – oldies and newbies,
    I haven’t checked in for a while. Life got a bit frantic. NOT a good time to play around with maintenance. I’ve popped back up out of the healthy weight range, and will be strictly 5:2ing again until life settles down and I can trust myself again. For me, it looks like maintenance really does need to be 5:2 rather than 6:1. I have a low TDEE (155cm tall) and I need the twice weekly fast to keep my cravings at bay. Practising saying “no” to myself twice a week really does help on feast days, when I can enjoy a small portion of a treat rather than the whole packet. :/ Clearly I wasn’t ready to loosen up my rules. It only took visiting parents, a new Uni course and a toddler’s birthday to derail me. LOL.
    Back to “normal” from today and my body is already thanking me for it.

Jaybee78
    I too have noticed I cannot eat the sugar loaded things I used to enjoy. I am not interested in lollies at all or shop made cakes and biscuits I do have low sugar, gluten free home baking that I make myself sometimes. I need to be really careful about nuts and dried fruit when I hungry. Snack foods like potato crisps etc have been replaced with fresh fruit and salads yum.
    It is soooooo cool to not feel bloated and in charge of what goes into the face and to bound every where instead of dragging myself around and to wake up enthused about the day ahead and as you say if you have to let loose at a party you always got 5.2 or 4.3 to sort it out. Love it

Posting at work, so being quick and sorry no personals

Sigh – weighed in this morning and gained 900g!!!! Fasted Mon and Wed last week. Think my weekend was probably too much (two outings) and maybe overdoing it on FD’s (damn those lattes). My weekend was pretty carb loaded.

Pretty gutted, but as today is a FD I will just keep on going. Did not have breakfast this morning and actually felt fine. Just going to have liquids at work and will probably just have soup for dinner. Thursday will be my next FD and the weekend is looking clear for outings, so fingers crossed I get into the swing of things and weight loss starts to happen.

Hi Melmum
    I know exactly what you mean about needing to do the 5.2 and not 6.1. I took my eye off the 5.2 ball and had a battle to get back to “normal”.
    Fasting today, happy fasting everyone.

It just seems 6 days of “normal” eating is too much of a slippery slope for most of us. I know I need 2 fasts a week to maintain.
    Call me odd, but I now find it quite fun to go up to the local shopping centre on a fast day. The number of obese people I see utterly inspires me to stick to the fast. I’ve just done it now. I’m the crazy one with the self satisfied smile on my face. Sure better than pie sauce 😉 P

Hi all

Good idea I think that when I go to shopping centres all the people eating garbage food and paying big money and the cost to their health.

I am slowly changing my attitude towards scales haven’t stood on since Friday. Am going to weigh Tuesday and Friday mornings. I am down 8kg in 6 weeks but suspect the weight loss to slow down and try not to get dishearted. I have about 30kg to go.

Fast day today doing well haved boiled egg breaky, pototo leek soup homemade for lunch just had a banana pre exercise class
    Then will have chicken sticks and salad worked out 536 happy with that. I am happy to be under 600.

My period didn’t come last week have had usual pre period symptoms but nothing. I guess hormones are being sorted as well. Sorry guys. Last months was very light, so who knows. Maybe 5 2 will help me here as well

Have a great day keep going on fast day we can do it. This is week 7.

Hi Everyone, today is my first fasting day and I have made it through to 5pm with only a cupasoup. Usually I am always OK at work but when I go home I find it difficult especially cooking for my husband and daughter. I think I may be in bed very early tonight! Will this cause a problem?

Well done Star. Do whatever. .there are no rukes other than 1/4 of your TDEE over the 36 hour period. Great work! PVE

Hi thinatlast
    I love the idea of a narrow boat. We are going to be on a cruise ship so there will be plenty of choices, probably none of them any good! What I am finding with IF is if I don’t have to make a choice ie I am on a fast day life becomes so much less complicated. You are right about being able to get on and off the narrow boat and being able to source healthy foods. You’ll be passing lots of little market towns along the canals and from what I saw you’ll be spoilt for choice with good local produce at most of them.

Hi all Southern Hemi’s,
    Thank you MrsMiniMum for your post.

Yesterday was my first fast day for the week and am down to 60.9 again so If I’m carefull I may get a bit closer to the 59’s. I haven’t tried on the dress I was planning to wear, wil do that tomorrow. I am going to Target and am going to buy one of those “suck it in shapewear dresses” so will see how that goes.
    I do have a back up if I’m not happy.
    Enjoyed my “bircher muesli this morning :).
    Happy fasting and not so fasting to all.
    Jane

Well done birdlady, but if you want to fit into that dress only have a couple of teaspoons of the bircher with heaps of strawberries and blueberries. Keep the carbs low (especially at breakfast) even on non fast days if you want to hit the magic 59s. 😉 PVE

Found the Slendier noodles – thanks for the help!!

Had an awesome fast day yesterday and feeling great this morning. After a full weekend (that started last Wednesday!) was so bloated and needed to stop eating/drinking. Im amazed that after just three weeks I look forward to fast days to feel lighter!

Thanks for the read, I try to catch up with you all twice a week for some inspiration and love the hints and tips that are given.

Thanks Purple Veggie Eater. I had my last normal meal on Sunday at 6:30pm. Yesterday I had 450 cals. I Thought I would be starving today but I’m not. I think im going to fast today too!

Hi star. Well done. Don’t overdo it. Doing two fasts together is not as effective as two separate fasts. Your fasting period isn’t as long and is less achievable long term. Two separate fasts replicate the natural ups and downs of the feasts and famines we evolved with.
    Nicky is a champ at back to back fasts, but she has been doing this a long time.
    Keep it simple, I say. All the best PVE

Hi everyone. I am a bit disheartened at the moment. This is my 5th week of 5:2. the first couple of weeks were good (about 2.6kgs down), but last week I didn’t lose anything. This week, even after my best fast day ever (I didn’t eat anything until 7pm, and then only a small amount) I have managed to put on a whole 1kg. I didn’t feel like I over ate on most non fast days except for Sunday night, when I went to say goodbye to my neice who is moving interstate. I had 2 wines, a chicken meal with white sauce and a chocolate moose. I know that was bad, but a whole kilo! Anyway I decided to check what my TDEE was, I assumed it wouldn’t be too low as my doctor told me that I am classed as obise. I am 160cm tall and around 84kg. I was really surprised that it is only 1698 which means f/d should be under 424. I have been over eating!! Even though I didn’t want to count cals. on non fast days (years of counting points on weight watchers, has put me off) I think I will have too. I also decided to have a look at the forum for woman of a certain age, (I’m 50). It was reasuring to find that woman going through menopause are finding it harder to lose weight than they did a few years back. The average is only about 200gs a week, with my ups and downs I have lost about 1.6kg in 4 weeks, which doesn’t seem so bad if you look at it that way. Just got to make sure that I don’t put on a kg again this week. I also had bad meopause symtons this week (lots of hot flushes and felt depressed all week for no reason), I wondered how much that has affected my weight as well. Anyway I am not giving up, I believe in this WOL and I will just have to try harder and believe that I can do this. Its my fast day today and so far, so good, its lunch time and I haven’t had anything. I will try to hang out until tea, and then make sure I stay under 424 (shouldn’t be too hard, if only having one meal). Happy fasting to all.

Hi Kiera
    You’ve started well. Don’t get disheartened.
    1. Your natural body weight will fluctuate up and down 2-3 kgs every week. It is the long term average and your body measurements that will prove your success.
    2. Being a ‘lady of a certain age’ is not an excuse to be overweight. Your metabolism slows so you simply need less food! Set your TDEE on the calculator to a weight that is less than you are and make it sedentary. This will maximise your losses.
    I started at 85 kg, am 63 and 164cm. I lost 27kg over 12 months with careful healthy eating and following the above formula. I have maintained now for a further 6 months.
    You can do it. Just be patient. This is for the long term! 🙂 P

Viewing 50 posts - 3,251 through 3,300 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.