Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 3 hours, 46 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,851 through 1,900 (of 28,008 total)

• Good work AGuy!
    I remember at the end of my first fast week hankering after a steak. We went to the local pub and my husband misheard me. I had intended him to buy the 200gm steak, which seemed enormous. He bought the 600gm. I ate one tiny corner and pushed the rest away. I found I very quickly stopped eating as much. Just enjoy yourself, but stop eating the second you think you’ve had enough.
    Have a good weekend both you and Nicki. P πŸ™‚

Thanks Purple, you too.

I forgot to mention that my capacity has changed. Now I give myself smaller serves because I haven’t yet conquered the ‘don’t waste food’ mindset. I also deal with any leftovers at the same time as serving dinner so as not to be tempted later; much harder to get at when frozen πŸ™‚

Hi Nicky
    Exactly what I do. I use Jamie Oliver’s method with zip lock bags (clearly labelled with fast or not fast!). I also freeze meat in 100gm portions so that I can use one between two on fast days and one each on other days.
    I have used the ‘hide the food in the freezer’ trick for many years to stop the boys eating all the food. They soon developed a love of frozen sultanas and frozen grated cheese! P πŸ™‚

Yes, I love those small Chinese bowls for my serving sizes, then the meal looks full, but is still a sensible serve. Same goes for plates, I mostly use a bread plate, rather than a full dinner plate. It works wonders, and I’m never hungry afterwards!

Hi IHAW
    Tiny ramekins and teaspoons is another clever trick. πŸ™‚
    Also, don’t eat anything until it is all served out, the spares put away and everyone sitting at the table. Sounds like the 50s, doesn’t it? But it works.
    When I was at school (last century) we were never allowed to eat in public. In fact, it was my mum’s rule too. Imagine how much obesity could be avoided if that still applied? It looks awful too! P

Hi again Purple

When we lived in NT and supplies were occasionally unreliable I developed the habit of stocking up on things like cooking chocolate, which I tucked away in various places, including what was known to the family as the ‘siege cupboard’. When we packed up to move to Brizzie I found 4 separate stashes of chocolate so the kids had a feast.

AGuy about your comments on headache despite drinking plenty of water. I don’t know how much you drank but please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication.

Apparently the electrolyte balance can be disturbed to such an extent that the cells swell due to the body’s attempts to equalize the osmotic pressure on the inside and outside of the cell membrane. In the brain this causes a headache. Just a thought.

Nicky, the Water Intoxication article refers to deaths caused by people drinking too much and not urinating to win drinking competitions. It says “under normal circumstances” this doesn’t happen.
    Obviously one can overdo it, but then again it is a lot easier to get dehydrated and all the associated problems. I think Bay’s suggestion to fill a 2 litre jug and ensure you drink all of it in your day is a good idea. πŸ™‚

Hi to all with a great big grin. Well this little black Duck is feeling very pleased with himself target was 90 kg and this morning weighted in at, drum roll please, 89.7. An unexpected result.
    Thats a total loss of 23kg, the last 5 on the 5:2 over 6 weeks.

Now for the really hard part to maintain the loss and keep it off. My TDee of 1800 cals for WOL
    is I feel very generous, due I suspect conditioning of our diet, and as I would MUCH prefer to ease up on the excerises as I am a foodie at heart will ease up on interval training.
    Keeping at target weight I suspect will be a suck and see excerise for a while. Will head over and suss out the other forums.

A big Hug if I may to all for the advice and support. Never mind the dancing!

To those struggling the 5:2 does really work. Please just keep at it.

Cheers,
    Tim.

You little beauty, Tim! Hip Hip Hoorah to you! fabulous effort. IHAW and I are dancing for you!!!!

I’m so pleased I was on line to hear it.
    Thanks for the hug, too. πŸ˜‰

You can join us on the Maintenance Chatbox thread now πŸ™‚ P

Fantastic news Tim. So well done!

Thanks also for the hug.

Please stay with the SH thread as we’ve lots to learn from wise people like you, Precious and Bayleaf.

Purple, completely agree about water intoxication but some people (like me occasionally) get a bit obsessive and carry things to extremes so thought I would mention it. Bay’s recommendation of the 2L jug is sound advice. Getting gallstones from not drinking enough would be awful.

Janecw , another welcome to Shs.

Jane you ask about cognitive decline I can only talk about my own experience.
    Excuse personal data but I am 79, somewhat reclusive, Bipolar 1 with meds and have been on the fast for just over 6 weeks. During that time I have noticed a marked improvement in my mental state.

So much so that I posted briefly about it to this group and told my GP that there was a noticeable shift in being able to cope with life on a day to day basis. If I didn’t know better I would say I was almost in Mania!.
    Short term memory has improved i.e. I am much more confidant in remembering and dealing
    with things like appointments, dates etc.

I wasn’t quite Ga-Ga but heading that way and now do feel confidence in in the future.

There have been a few other posts alluding to a general feeling of ” Wellness ”

Can I suggest you plan to make your fast days when your flying…..miss the airline food! πŸ™‚

Enjoy your time dieting, the journey is I assure you well worth it.

Cheers.
    Tim.

Hello there !
    ItΒ΄s the day after fasting so I think IΒ΄m going to have only water and coffee til 11 am and then breakfast.On my fast day I finished eating at 6 pm .So maybe itΒ΄s quite ok ?
    I must say IΒ΄m very happy to be here and get all the support youΒ΄re all giving me πŸ™‚ !
    Have a very good Friday πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Mirjam πŸ™‚

Hi Mirjam.
    Which country do you live in? There are so many posts now on this thread and the Maintenance Chatbox that I’m having trouble keeping up. πŸ™‚ B

Hey Bayleafoz ,
    I live in Finland πŸ™‚

Purple and bayleafoz see you over at the M Chatbox but I will still be on here. To many good times.

Nosing around the other forums found simco has stirred with these comment.

” Current research indicates over one,half of daily caloric intake should come from fat calories- even better, saturated fat calories. ”

His statements leave a bit to be desired. On the other hand he has posted VG info.

By the way what was the other ” Maintenance ” thread,not Chatbox.

Being Fri evening its time for one of my 2 glasses of Vino. Only allowed 6 a week and at W/E.
    Problem is I can’t count.

Have a good W/E.
    Tim.

Janecw, just found this over at head office as it were.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/mind/cognitive-impact/

Tim.

Oh my, I head off to work for a couple of hours and the site explodes again!

Wonderful to hear how well you’ve been doing Tim, you are such an inspiration and I really appreciate your warm hug! Thanks….I’ll do a little jig in your honour….haha!

Pulling back the years both physically and mentally, is so important for us all. If you think about it, losing weight in this way (5:2), lowers your blood pressure, glucose intolerance and cholesterol levels. Then it goes a long way to understanding the improvement of brain function too, with better blood flow, oxygen and glucose uptake right into the brain itself. And therefore better cognitive outcomes, and hopefully higher mental capacity and functioning in times of stress and ageing.

Have an excellent weekend my dears!

Hi IHAW and friends,
    Just been trying to catch up on all the posts on this site, it seems to have gone mad. Yes I have been AWOL but I tore my calf muscle getting on or off the tractor in June and the pain put paid to exercise, fasting as well as slowing me down with farm work. Then hubby lost his job in July , but I am still hanging in there. Got seriously back to fasting this week, and over the six weeks I have neither lost or gained, so at least I know I can maintain things even with severe pain. Leg is slowly coming good as I have not had time to rest it. I am still a few weeks from getting back on my bike to do HIIT, but I will get back there.
    I have however found winter hard to fast until this week when I finally cracked going til 7pm before having something to eat, and that was a small piece of oyster blade steak with lots of salad. πŸ™‚
    I still cannot loose any weight if I eat cooked vege, so soup is of no help to me, and my water at this time of the year has to be quite warm, otherwise I cannot drink it. It comes out of the tap at 4 degrees.
    We have snow all around us tonight and are predicted to have severe frost in the morning, but that should mean sunny day, better than the last 6 weeks of cold wet and windy weather, you cannot get warm, and you come in cold and hungry. At least I could stick to my 1200 calories or less per day.
    Great to see the site so busy and welcome to all the new folks,
    Cheers everyone,
    Charlie. πŸ™‚

Hi Charlie,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles but well done for keeping the weight stable despite them all. I can identify with the cold water from the tap, ours comes from a little 5,000 litre tank at the moment so the frosty mornings keep it cool but thank goodness no snow here. Tomorrow morning we’re sorting cows and calves and synchronizing to start the ai programme. But at least the sun will be shining to warm up the frost and the yards won’t be dusty πŸ™‚
    Cheers, VM

Tarkeeth:

It seems you disagree with some comments I made on fat in the diet:

” Current research indicates over one,half of daily caloric intake should come from fat calories- even better, saturated fat calories. ”

His statements leave a bit to be desired.

I just report on current research.

Here is a condensation of the research on fat in the diet (the current fat/protein/carb breakdown according to current research is in the second clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe9z32NZHY

Here is a condensation of research on the need for carbs in the diet
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/5/951.2.full

You also mention you are bipolar and seem to feel better as a result of fasting. This is being researched. Fasting can put the body into a ketogenic state, as can a high fat, low carb diet (the ketogenic diet).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

A quotation from the above Wikipedia article, at the end in the ‘Other Applications’ section:

“Because many anti-epileptic treatments are also effective for bipolar disorder, the ketogenic diet has also been suggested as a potential treatment for bipolar disorder.[61] Recently, two case studies were reported in which bipolar II disorder patients achieved remission on the diet and discontinued medication.[62] As of yet, no clinical trials have been conducted to assess its potential effectiveness.”

I wish you continued success!

Hi Charlie,
    I’ve really missed you and I’m so sorry things are difficult for you with this freezing weather, your calf muscle hurting, husband’s work and the farm. I really wish I could come and help you….I’ll send some good wishes and love your way, as well as a super giant hug!
    Congratulations on sustaining your new weight over this tricky period, it’s no easy task when there are multiple stresses and the weather is crappy! So well done and things can only look up right? Please try to keep posting, you are definitely one of my favourite fasters, and it’s always so interesting on the farm. I love to hear everything that’s happening there.
    One of the warm drinks I’ve found sustaining and tasty is the miso soup sachets from Woolies, which have around 28 calories, you just add boiling water and it’s quite filling. Maybe you could try them, if the normal soups aren’t doing the job?

Looks like the mysterious and highly informed simcoeluv has just given us all some interesting reading to chase up on, thanks you ‘international individual of mystery’…..it’s not the same as using a gender, but it’s the best I can do at this time of the morning….sorry! It’s wonderful to be pondering the wider health implications of this worldwide experiment we are currently conducting on ourselves, isn’t it? I’m hoping that we will all be leading the way to healthier ageing and living well without masses of drugs and pain.

I love the image of me dancing until I’m a very old lady, and wearing silly hats to embarrass my many great grandchildren.

Cheers all, live long and prosper!

Just watched Sally Pearson win the hurdles after all of the issues she’s been through recently. She’s such an inspiration, our very own pocket rocket! Go Sally!

Yes, me too. Sally Pearson is such an inspiration. Could you tell me where to find the simcoeluv article, please.

Charlie, Well done on maintaining through the various crises. Our water is also 4 C through the tap. Too cold for a cold day. We have snow on the hills and a heavy frost. The upside us a very sunny day. These days remind me of the Elioth Gruner painting of the vows in the early morning mist and frost. πŸ™‚ B

Grrrr! Predictive text drives me crazy. I actually typed “cows in the early morning “. πŸ™‚

Hi bay, simcoeluv left a post on Southern Hem. overnight, it might have gone to your spam or junk emails, it seems more and more posts from this site are finding their way there on my computer, not sure why but I always check nowadays, to make sure I don’t miss anything.

Cheers.

Hello all
    Nicki – I didn’t drink enough water to become water intoxicated. But thanks for your thought. I’ve been doing some reading and I now think the headaches have been the result of my body shifting from burning glycogen to ketone bodies, this can cause headaches if your body is unaccustomed. (I certainly hope so as this means I’m burning fat!)

Water intox is an interesting phenomenon. I remember seeing a news story about extacy users a couple of years ago, the drug can make the user so thirsty that they drink way too much water and in some cases actually die as a result.

Congrats Tarkeeth, that’s a great achievement – I was also pleased to hear your story of cognitive improvement. Wonderful news.

Just for update. Things are going well for me. I’m not fasting over the weekend but will be Monday.

I was pretty restrained last night although I indulged a little with a couple of drinks and some snacks.

In general, I’ve been eating better and I’m back at the gym.

I find that the efforts made during my fast day meant that I’m not inclined to over indulge on other days. I think this is for fear of offsetting or depleting the gains I may have made during fasting. If I can maintain this frame of mind I reckon the 5:2 diet could really work for me.

Thanks again for everyone’s kind support. I’ve read all the messages on this forum, and they are so often inspiring, and supportive. Wishing a great day to everyone here.

Hi all, particualy simcoelov. Thanks for your post which I will reply too later today as I am off on my Saturday morning ritual of going into town for coffee and papers with my dogs to the Old Butter Factory. The social high light of my week! Might even grab a piece of Chocolate Mud cake.
    Its amazing how this group has expanded over the last few weeks. Think I ‘ve posted here more than I have in total over the last 10 years.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Congratulations Tim on entering the maintenance zone!!!! Thank you also for sharing your story. Changing how we eat is such a simple thing that has such far reaching effects.

The wintery weather this week has made fasting a bit tough, but I got through both fast days. Yesterday was interesting, though. I had my first binge in a very long time – lollies my kids brought back from camp. Certainly not as much as I used to eat, but my body didn’t thank me for it. I felt fairly off all night and skipped breakfast. I used too think nothing of eating sweets, chockies or bickies, dips and crackers until there were none left. I have come a very long way in the past 6 months.

Charlie I’m sorry you’ve had a tough time, and I’m glad you’re back. As a city girl I do love hearing about farm life. There are a few more SHers who live on farms now.

Enjoy the weekend all. πŸ™‚

Tim thanks for the welcome & the info re cognitive decline including your own experience

The books makes mention of research showing increases in BDNF ( brain derived neurotrophic factor) and suggests improvements in mood and cognitive capacity.

As someone expecting to live to 100 ( I don’t intend to but it will probably happen!) I have an interest in being able in all aspects for as long as possible and limiting any burden on my loved ones.

It’s early days for me so fingers crossed I can persevere.

Simcoelov, twice now I have strongly disagreed with statements in your posts due to my taking
    them as your own rather than as you say reporting on” Current research ”
    The other concerned cholesterol which at the time I asked the question, who where you and did you have a medical background. I am a very cynical old sod and felt the two statements were an attack on established fact and were wrong and dare I say it subversive!

In finding my way round the fast diet site I came across your post regarding TDEE.
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/
    I found this more than help full and it seemed at odds with your two statements. Hence my wanting to know your background as you present as very methodical and knowledgeable, with
    access to research papers and a wide insight into the medical profession.

Thank you for the link re Ketogenic diet as I wasn’t aware of the any link between anti-epileptic
    treatment and bipolar disorder. I have also past this on to my youngest daughter ,50 , who has been an epileptic since 12.

Any success has been due to the support and encouragement of all who post here and not forgetting of course Michael Mosley.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hi IHAW, Violet and Melbourne Mum,
    You all have helped me to feel better, I have never been missed like this before and this forum really feels like family. IHAW, thanks for the nice warm hug, we had a lovely sunny day after the frost, and we spent the day pruning trees and roses, firstly here at home and then for an older couple that can no longer manage their huge garden.
    Hope the fine weather lasts for a while so that we can finish all our contract pruning and our own as well.
    Tomorrow our cows say goodbye to their bulls for another year, they should now all be in calf, so now they concentrate on feeding the calves they have on them now, as well as the ones in their tummies.
    Violet all the best with you AI program, ours went fairly well considering the cold wet weather. The best bit is when the new babies are born next Autumn. We are still busy supplementary feeding everyone at present, but the days are getting longer, and soon they will begin to get warmer.
    One great thing I have noticed about fasting is my improved mental state. I am currently studying at university, by online learning, but every 13 weeks at the end of each subject we have exams. Before commencing this WOL I had failed a couple of subjects, but since I started fasting I have not failed anything, and this is the first winter in years that I have not suffered from the winter blues. πŸ™‚
    This is definitely the life for me.
    Cheers everyone,
    Charlie

Charlie, that’s brilliant! Doing so well in exams, especially online study for uni courses is really something to be proud about! So a gold star and koala stamp for you! I’ll add in a one woman conga line which you may wish to join in….haha, I know it looks silly, but what’s a girl to do when there’s no one else to join in here? Pretend there’s a big line of dancing supporters on your team, that’s what!

So tell us what your line of study is, I’m intrigued! I’m considering adding to my remedial massage with an advanced diploma, but I hope to be doing it face to face, at my local TAFE next year.

I agree with you about increased memory, cognitive function, etc, but also want to add in increased self confidence and optimism. Because we know that in doing a long term change in eating habits like the 5:2, and seeing the measurable benefits with your own eyes, changes your perspective about your abilities to control your life and your goals…..so what you thought was once impossible, now is clearly possible, achievable, available for you to reach out and grab for yourself……I think that this is the key to the changes in habits that stick and become a part of who we are. And we know that because we were able to achieve with 5:2, that we become optimistic that other goals are achievable!

Once it starts happening, more than a few times, we gain a sense of mastery that is impossible to shake, because we own those changes, no one else can take them from us!

I’m so glad the sun is coming out, the daylight longer and that spring is around the corner. Your cows are so lucky to have a loving owner who cares so much. Remember, we’re all on this strange experimental journey together, like a funny disjointed family, spread far and wide, but still interested and supportive of all the ups and downs…that’s what makes it so interesting, don’t you think? You are not alone!

Cheers and hugs for now.

Charlie well done on your academic achievements! I’m currently filling out an application for a Uni course. The last time I was a Uni student was 1991. Life is vastly different now, and I’m sure my habitual tactics of pulling all-nighters whilst scoffing lollies won’t wash this time round with family life and all that can throw at you at any moment. So I’ve enrolled in a free online course called Learning How to Learn at Coursera. It’s only just started and I think it will be a great preparation for returning to study, and hopefully show me alternative techniques to learn deeply, and efficiently (and not leaving it all till the last minute). The videos so far have been really entertaining, and they’re short! Anyone thinking about learning something new would benefit from checking this one out.
    https://www.coursera.org/course/learning

Hi SH mates.

Charlie, so glad you’re feeling better and well done on your exam results. Sympathy for your OH’s position – hopefully only a short setback. It’s so good for the self-esteem to perform well, especially against the younger students. I’ve joined IHAW’s conga line for you. It will also help me warm up as it was so cold even in the house this morning that my tablet computer wouldn’t start.

MM, do complete your uni application – what field? Ditto for you about self-esteem improvement. I went back in the early 80s to bring my qual’s up to date when we moved to a city after years in the bush and the empty nest was on the horizon. I’m not especially clever but the one thing we all know as we get older is how to work hard, and to my great surprise I won the university medal for my 2nd BSc (first straight out of school in the 1960s), was offered a funded Hons year and then commercial scholarship for PhD! I never intended to go beyond the ordinary degree. Hoodathortit as they say in the classics πŸ™‚
    Best wishes, n

Hi all, enjoy this. Having trumpeted that my short term memory and day to day mental agility
    had improved due to the diet yesterday could not find my copy of the 5:2 Diet, found the 2 recipe books and the fast exercise but could not find it despite turning the place upside down.

Wondered well the hell I had put it —— then it dawned I had bought it as an Ebook. Duh

As an aside, I had hoped simcoeluv might just reply to my post.

Tim.

Tim, glad you found it at least.

My aunt’s dementia specialist told me the difference between mere forgetfulness and real ‘marble loss’ is that ultimately we do remember, unlike dementia where the memory never comes back.

When I forget yet again where my glasses &c. are I tell myself that it’s because I’m now so old that most of my brain cells are already full πŸ˜‰

cheers, n

I like this analogy….
    If you ask a 20 year old woman to find a particular dress in a wardrobe, full of everything she has ever owned, it is not very hard. Then ask an 80 year old to do the same thing. There will be many more dresses in the 80 year old’s wardrobe, so much harder to find the one particular item. Your brain is like a wardrobe. More memories make it harder to find that one you need. πŸ™‚ P

Wow, Nicky, University Medal. That’s seriously impressive! Well done! B

Hi Everyone.
    IHAW I never went to uni after leaving school instead I had graduated from the Police academy by the time I got my results and gave up my scholarship to Vet Science. After marrying I had to leave the force as that was the rules back then, so I came home onto the farm.
    Years later I studied Horticulture as we growing berryfruit at the time. Then after the black Saturday fires I was looking for something to do as I suffered a bit of depression after the fires and a friend suggested that I would come out of it all better if I concentrated on something other than what I saw outside the back door.
    So I have gone back to my first love and I am studying Criminology and Criminal Justice. I am currently doing my 14 unit, that is I have passed 13 and it is soooo good.
    It not only stimulates the brain but I am learning so much, and it shows just how unjust our justice system is here in Australia, especially in the case of our indigenous cousins.
    I hope to work in either youth justice or with the indigenous community when I finish in about three years time, I am only studying part time, what with the farm and everything else.
    Have a great week everyone
    Happy Monday fast
    Charlie

Charlie , you are my inspiration and I think you’d make one hell of a lawyer! And I agree that unfortunately we live in an unequal society, especially in relation to the justice system. It reminds me of a wonderful piece of graffiti I saw once…’there’s no justice, there’s just us!’, I wish you all the best and know you’ll do fabulously!

Nicky, great job on being awarded such a prestigious honour! We are lucky to have such great minds amongst us, and it always shows with your engaging witty comments!

Soon I’m going to be a mother of a doctor….a PhD of pure maths kind, not the medical sort….so I live vicariously through his achievements….Haha! He gives wonderful hugs and has a caring heart, which I adore. We are all attending this ceremony soon and I’m looking forward to going back to Hobart for the event.

Happy Monday fasting tomorrow everybody!

I had 2 successful fasts this week but my other 5 days, not so good. I really have to work on my non-fast days. I have been doing this WOE for 9 months now and have lost 6 kilos. Slow progress I know but its progress in the right direction. I have got another 10 kilos to lose at least. It would still put me in the overweight category but given my lack of height, I don’t worry too much about BMI. Its a weight I have been at before and its one I am comfortable at.

On my non-fast days I manage to drink plenty of water (on work days, struggle on the weekend without a water bottle sitting in front of me). I also try to stick to 16:8 as I seem to cope pretty well without breakfast, even after a fast day. I exercise every day which usually involves a 30-40minute walk with the dog and a 10 minute strength workout video.

Yet I still find losing weight a real struggle, even following this WOE. One of my issues that I am aware of are my food intake on non-fast days – 2 family blocks of chocolate in 1 week don’t help. My second issue is the stress link to weight loss. I have had a fairly stressful 12 months and while it is getting better, I am sure its not helping with the weight loss. I am thinking of asking my doctor to test my cortisol levels.

Any help of suggestions on picking my act up would be appreciated…

Hi wanderer, it’s good to hear from you and that you are continuing in the 5:2 woe.

I recommend rechecking your total calorie needs on the calculator here, to keep under that normal calorie needs of your non fast days. Also looking into your stress and ways of coping with it. There are lots of good classes in meditation, mindfulness, yoga and even seeking out a counsellor who might help you in feeling less stressed and anxious.

The most important thing is to not give up on yourself, and to be kind to yourself, rather than being critical and angry with yourself. Often we have ridiculously high expectations of perfection, which set ourselves up for failure, rather than going slow and steady, setting simple achievable goals and putting one foot in front of the other…..making baby steps towards our healthy future.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Hi Wanderer,

to add to IHAWs excellent suggestions, a trip to the doc is a good idea to check out your general health and for full bloodwork. It may be that there’s something else going on that is impeding your progress.

Maybe also a trip to a Nutritionist to check that it’s a balanced diet. I remember once when I was young being severely iron deficient but indulging in lots of self flagellation that I was weak willed and unable to commit properly. We do tend to beat ourselves up a bit too much.

I’m not a fan of counting calories on non-fast days – it doesn’t work for me, just makes me too food obsessed. Try to get your five serves of veg and 1-2 serves of fruit and eat minimally processed food at all times. Consider a period of sugar abstinence if chocolate over indulgence is a problem.

And celebrate your successes, remembering that improved health is your goal.

Good luck!

Welcome Wanderer
    I back up ihaw and jane.
    I have just had a complete blood test result (I have been on 5:2 since April 13 and reached goal after 1 year). My results are outstanding. Well worth having the comparison from before.
    All the best, everyone, with your great healthy adventure. Purple

Hi Everyone. I started two weeks ago and have lost 2kgs. I’m not sure if it is fluid or the diet. I’m really bad at sticking with diets so hopefully this one will work. I usually have my first meal a bit after 12 and then dinner around 6:30 with the family. The only bad thing is that I tend to overindulge on my free days. Too many social gatherings and too hard to say no to beer and wine! I’m an expat living in Fiji at the moment.

Wanderer23 Hi. Heavens only 2 family of blocks of chocolate in a week what a wimp πŸ™‚ when I was dragging the lower lip for weeks I used to have block a day, best comfort food around, but boy do you put on the weight.

Its great that you post about your stress. There might not be a medico amongst us but you will have a very warm welcome, bags of sympathy and understanding and great support on your journey. Your among friends

Re weight loss I found simcoelovs info on TDEE here very helpful.
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/ll
    Also his https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/ well worth a read.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Bula Bexta good to have you with us. Know what you mean about social gatherings as based there in the 60’s.

I found two musts were the Book, which I downloaded and please do read the FAQ it really has so much info its not funny.

I have mentioned perviously simcoelovs post here http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/. It helped me.

Despite living amongst the most friendly people in the world who will look after and feed you
    some of the best curries, do stop the rice and chutneys!

Cheers,
    Tim.

Happy Fast Day all!
    I’m smiling πŸ˜€ and doing the happy dance because, despite my little binge, the scales were kind. 500g down this week! Yippee!! Yesterday’s walk in the sunshine might have done the trick, even if it was still freezing.

Wow CharlieG, what an interesting life! All your life experience will help when you do start working in youth justice or indigenous affairs. Very harrowing, but extremely important.

NickyF, my background is in health care. I haven’t worked since my youngest (nearly 3 now) was born. I haven’t missed the job, even though I have missed using my “professional” side a little. I was too keen to get out into the world and travel to do the extra honours year back then, but have been contemplating doing a research masters degree for a while. A friend of mine has started graduate studies in clinical research at Melb Uni, and I’m really excited about joining her. I’ll start with one subject this semester, which luckily is the core subject, and I’ll see how far I go. I’m aiming at entering the workforce in a year or so, and there seem to be plenty of positions available in clinical research, and hopefully there’ll be scope for a research masters or PhD in there somewhere too. While I have always kept up to date professionally, it’s not the same as “studying” again. I hope my mathematical abilites have not disappeared – I was quite good at maths way back when.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, little pieces of advice and even your humour!

I had mixed results on the scales this morning for my weekly weigh in. Put on 1.3kg but down 1cm under my bust and 2cm around my hips! I actually weigh myself daily so it will be interesting to see my result tomorrow after a good fast day today.

I had full blood work done in October last year (except for cortisol) before I had even heard about this diet and all my results were good except I was low in vitamin D. I will go and get them checked again this October to see what difference it has made. I have recalculated my TDEE and it comes in at 1776. I will try my best to stick to that each non-fast day this week. Janecw – I don’t like counting calories on non-fast days either as it makes this WOE more like a regular diet but if I am not losing any weight I think I should pay a bit more attention to my non-fast days just until I start losing again. My only potential problem comes on Wednesday when I am having dinner out. I will do my best to restrain myself.

Re the stress issue, I have started listening to a meditation app at night so that might help and I have also looked into local yoga classes and also some aqua fitness classes to shake my exercise up.

Thanks again for all your help… I’ll let you know how I go.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,851 through 1,900 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.