Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 8 hours, 3 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,851 through 7,900 (of 28,007 total)

• Hi Thin! Rug up!

Your record breaking temperatures have been on the news.

I’m having a good fast day. Very hungry at the moment, just distracting myself for one more hour before my chicken miso soup.

Spider solitaire!

Woohoo! 66.9 kgs this mornng after 2nd FD of the week. At my rehab session this week I was 0.5 kg down. Very happy. Now just have to keep it from getting up too much before FD on Monday which is my day I do my weekly weight Graph. . Yeah, I know, I do it the hard day. Most people graph
    /record their weekly weight on the day after 2nd weekly FD, but I prefer to make sure that when I reach a goal, I’m doubly sure I’ve done it. This weight normalisation process is so important for my health I really want to be sure when I get to goal weight that it’s truly done and not having to go another couple of weeks securing it. It was so good to see that 66.9 number this morning.

Hope the Friday fasters had a good FD today.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Nap, are you ok? I miss you!

Good morning!
    Merry aren’t you sensible.
    And you have got under 67kg in that thorough, solid way. (Well a little be less solid that you used to be! πŸ˜‰ ) Congratulations!
    Weight normalisation is a good term too! I’ve been saying I want to get to my healthy weight, but according to the graphs I have got into the healthy weight range for my height, however I have a bit more to lose before I get to the weight that I think is normal to me. Or, since I am not weighing myself, a normal shape (for my age etc.).

We’ve got a hot day here (although Thin would need a beanie and scarf), but just one hot day. Then it is down to the low twenties. My daughter and granddaughter fly down today from Sydney and I think tomorrow will be a shock to them! I need to go and put the toddler seat in the car. And the rest!

Best wishes for a good day everyone!
    I’ve got my lovely fast day coming up tomorrow. Need to make some more dashi!

Checking in – 66.9 kgs on yesterday morning, 67.5 this morning. FD tomorrow.

Hi Cinque, have a wonderful time with your daughter and granddaughter:-)
    Thanks, and I finally feel like some solidness is getting back into my 5:2ing.

Non 5:2 stuff, don’t read if you don’t want to.

We had a few weeks with the sress ramping up further with FIL. His Alzheimers seems to be taking the psychiatric course which is so sad on top of the other sadness involved with Alzheimers. Paranoia, rage, delusions, obsessions, and possibly hallucinations as he’s now on the cusp of the middle stage. What a terrible disease. There is so little you can do when the system is that unless the person, no matter how badly affected, unless they say they want to go into assisted living or other care even the POA and Guardian has no say. You cannot force them into care and I can’t see how you could anyway. I fear FAiL is headed for an end in a locked ward. We’re now getting occasional complaints from the community, and rightly so, but there’s nothing we can do. And of course he now thinks his POA and Guardian is his worst enemy. His survival skills that kept him alive through his prisoner of war years have kicked in in a bad way. Fortunately all of his children are working together, and 3 of the others are actively involved in his care while we take a no contact break. Sadly, until something serious happens, he will stay in his own home.

Cinque, Thin and the other Sunday Fasters, have a great fast day today!

Good news Merry. How are you going to celebrate getting to goal weight?

I’m still maintaining under 60kgs with one FD per week by some miracle – I’ve made some bad food choices this week including ice cream, choc biscuits, tira misu and there was something else but I can’t remember. Slippery slope. Looking forward to today’s FD to re-set the food desires.

Cinque yesterday I read your post about making dashi which inspired me to plan a miso based soup for my FD today. I’m having Japanese broth with udon noodles but I might substitute the pond scum for the noodles to reduce the cals even further. DD leaves for a dairy farm prac down south for two weeks today so one less to worry about feeding. OH will be having what I have for dinner. Not sure what to serve him with the soup – crusty bread doesn’t seem to go with Jap broth.

Enjoy your time with your family, and well done for fasting despite their visit.

PS Thanks Merry! Our posts crossed. So sorry to read about the FIL, terrible disease isn’t it?

Hi SH,

I have been missing in action for a while. Don’t want to make excuses but have had a really painful relapse of my shoulder since early December. I have been trying to get back on track with that. Lots of hospital visits, surgeons, doctor, ultrasounds, physios – pain management and exercise have been my main priority.

I have missed the regulation of 5+2 programme and all your support.

I will now try to get back into the programme. Woo Hooo!!! I haven’t weighed myself yet so don’t know what the damage has been. Monday will be the day πŸ™‚

Firstly – welcome to the newbies Maxine, Aikhme, BallinaBenny, Kellymaree81, Cassandra, 50hereigo, teacup42,- great stories

Hello to the visitors – snap01 and NickyF – I found some of my mislaid kilos in December / January as well LOL!!

Nice to read how all my fasting friends are going – though I haven’t caught up on all the news yet. I will make that a priority to get motivated πŸ™‚

I will also have a hunt around our posts and put any new recipes up on our FD recipe site. To check out the great tried and true recipes just go to my name tag on the left of my post, click and the link will be there.

Glad to see so many of you are still on the forum,

signing off
    Coast

Merry it is a terrible disease as you know my mother has it. She was at home and Dad and I were trying to cope and bring her back to Sydney but one morning while I was in their home in Brisbane she attacked me while I was in bed and that was that. It still breaks my heart every time I see her.

Thin you are doing so well, just keep doing what you are doing.

Only managed my Tuesday FD as I went to lunch with a friend on Thursday. Hope to get the two FDs in this week. It’s taking me longer than normal to get back to feeling normal but I can only put that down to coming from -degree temperatures back to these extremely hot days and my poor body is struggling.

Welcome back Coastcat – I hope your shoulder is better now. Intesha, you did so well on your trip, you can take your time getting back into the swing of things.

Coast, lovely to see you here. Your shoulder must have been awful. What are they doing about it now? I hope you can get back into 5:2 (if only so we get to chat here!) And for your health of course!!!!

Merry, and Intesha, it is the hardest thing to be unable to look after loved ones, and the worst to be threatened by them. It is just heart breaking. Merry I am so glad there are family members in solidarity. That makes all the difference.

I’m having a fast day. Complicated with busy family stiff and keeping a tired toddler awake until people arrived. They’ve headed off and I have rested, but I needed my midday soup again. I had to remind myself that it is more important to keep fast days sustainable, than to make them as extreme as possible! Luckily I had enough good soup in the fridge for that small bowl.

Best wishes to everyone. I hope things get easier soon Intesha.
    See you soon!

Kia ora taatou,
    just checking in with results: 7 weeks, 14 FDs and 9lbs down. Very happy with how it is going but I know that it is still early days. Next goal is another 9lb in 10 weeks as I have added in extra time for a plateau….
    I was worried last week as I had to do a fast day on Waitangi Day when I would be at home instead of busy at work. Planned to keep busy so I wouldn’t snack. Everything went pretty well until hubby started complaining about chest pains. I eventually drove him to A&E as he decided it wasn’t heart burn. One hour later he was having emergency surgery as his right coronary artery was nearly completely blocked πŸ˜– The good news is that I stayed under 500 cals πŸ˜› No really the good news is that all went well and he is home now after 2 days in hospital. We will know in a few months if he needs further surgery but at the moment we are happy to have him home and taking one great day at a time.

Oh Jilly what a fright! I am so glad everything turned out okay!
    Congratulations on your wonderful 5:2ing! It is great to read that you are no longer having to carry around an extra 9lb. Aren’t you sensible to count in plateau time. I hope you rock the next loss in, but it will eventuate even if it goes slowly. ( she says confidently, touching wood and whistling, while her tummy rumbles).

Hi Jilly, welcome back, thanks for reporting your progress and all the best to OH for a full recovery.

Your FD is just about over Cinque, I hope that tummy is no longer rumbling. I’ve had my dinner and there’s enough to freeze for another Sunday so that’s a bonus. I must say that extra large banana is looking very tasty right now.

Tummy feels happy after my chicken miso soup thanks Thin!😊

Well done, Cinque, I agree that it is more important to maintain the fast day, than to make yourself last all day without food. I am trying for a soup day today, and will see what I can manage. Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hi Merry, you are amazing keeping to the 5:2 while coping with stressful emotional stuff. Hats off to you. Bay 🌺🌺

It’s healthy weight week in Australia!
    http://healthyweightweek.com.au/get-involved/
    You might like to check out the recipe book (free download) the recipes look good!

PS Hi everyone, having a VERY nice day-after-fast-day, with good food, and not too much! πŸ™‚

Thanks for the link Cinque
    The first couple of recipes were suspiciously carb heavy, but the beef and asparagus, and the salmon and salsa dishes had my mouth watering. Glad I did a good fast yesterday! πŸ˜‰ Cheers P

I am still managing to stick to WOE. The weight I put on visiting son has now all gone. So now back to PB 60.2kgs. I am still in the overweight range. My waist is stubbornly refusing to shrink so that is in the danger zone.

The weather is starting to change. The grass is wet with dew and the nights are cool enough to get some decent sleep. I am surprised how well the garden has survived the summer. The only thing really doing well in the vegetable garden is the pumpkins and potatoes. The tomatoes and capsicums are a right off. Rock hard and bitter. I will take them out and green manure the bed in time to put onions in that bed later in winter.

Good morning all, so nice to read all your news and hear how you are all doing.

FD today, 71.7 hopefully I can get in two FDs this week. At this stage nothing planned for Thursday that includes eating.

Happy FD any other Tuesday fasters.

I bit of a while since I messaged – but good catching up on you, Merry, Coast, Intesha, Thin, PVE, Bay, Cinque and also Jilly.

I’ve still not resorted to counting calories, and with a quieter couple of weekends lately am noticing a slight downwards trend again. I can now confirm I had the opportunity to really enjoy my Astrolabe Sauv last weekend as I hit my 74.0kg target… so now I have a week or so to keep on track before we do our 10day road trip in the North Is. (where there is likely to be a blip in my downward progress!!)

My next big goal is to reach 73.5 which will see me finally be HEALTHY!!! then pushing onwards and downwards to 70 when I will get to enjoy a Cloudy Bay Sauv. Hopefully you don’t hear about it for too long.

I really identified with Merry’s post at the top, about taking the heaviest day as a weigh in, because that really means you’ve reached the target. Because I do write down weight every day I can clearly see the heavy day (monday for me) tracking down slowly over time, and that just makes so much more sense than pipping the post of the lightest weight at end of the week and then taking sometimes weeks to see that number again. I will consider this further and when I return from holiday, might make the big change to make Monday my “tracker” day…. and perhaps that will help guide even more my weekend excesses that determine my progress – Thank you everyone for the ideas you share.

Hi GL

If you can read the Blood Sugar Diet book by Michael Mosley you will see that they point the finger at sugar and carbs as the culprits, with forming fat around the waist as the result of eating them. I can vouch for this. If I ever need to get rid of fat around the middle, I eliminate all forms of sugar, no fruit juice or dried fruit, and no white carbs, eg, rice, pasta, breads, potatoes etc. White carbs turn into sugars in your blood stream very quickly.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Bay since giving carbs up last August in combination with sugars The weight has just fallen off. Going from obese to just within a whisker of normal range. The other thing is to reduce you stress levels which I try and do with relaxation exercises. I forget to do this as I wasn’t bought up listening to music. I forget I have the CD’s these replaced cassette ones I had. I find when I visit children that is all they give me to eat so it takes a week or so to get back into routine.

Hello Tuesday fasters and well done to all above. You might like this: https://thebloodsugardiet.com/ Take the quizzes!

Tuesday FD done and dusted. Weight this morning 71.1.

I have been reluctant to set a new goal but am now committing to 67. That would make it a total of 20kg which just blows me away. I am now 54 weeks into this WOL and feel and look amazing. I fit comfortably into size 12 slacks/pants whatever you want to call them and my skin glows with health.

The other amazing thing is I don’t deny myself treats if I feel like them but most times I can now walk away and not feel deprived.

So glad this has come into my life now but oh how I wish it would have been 20 or 30 years ago!!!!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Thin took the test. I have a 1 in 50 chance of getting type 2 diabetes now but 1 in 10 within the next 10 years. Need to reduce waist size I think. Currently 87cm but research says under 80. Maybe that should be the goal and not the weight!!!!!!

Intesha, what a glowing endorsement you are for 5:2!
    GL, you too!

Nik woot! a whisker away from that healthy weight range!

It is true isn’t it, that we have to grapple between the longing for fast dramatic weight loss, in time, and on the scales, and that ‘intelligent honesty’ (that is how someone described 5:2) that focuses less on the quick fix and more on the way of life, and long term health.

Cheers with your grappling today!

I’m so busy! Granddaughter, chaos kitchen, overdue minutes, son in law arriving etc etc

Fast day tomorrow? !!!! Today is too fast already!

As I report any spam appearing on these pages, I should have qualified that the link I posted above is to Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar website. Very similar to this with lots of information and recipes, etc. See Bay’s post above. There’s a forum too but one addiction is enough for me.

Intesha, you’re the 5:2 pin-up girl. What a long way you’ve come from those early posts.

Nik, you’re slimming your way through the wine cellar! Enjoy that road trip – is this for the wedding? You’ll be taking the spotlight from the bride.

Morning GL, Cinque. You’re cruising.

I should be fasting today as I’ve hit my ‘trigger’ weight. I thoroughly deserved it too. My class resumed yesterday for the semester and I went stupid over some rum balls at morning tea. Total glutton. Disgusted myself. Then for dinner, we had homemade hamburgers, haven’t had that for years as I usually have a veggie pattie with no bread. I had the smallest sliver of ciabatta that didn’t even begin to house my burger but that was obviously too much. Felt horrid all evening, paying on the scales today. Learned my lesson and if I can’t get under 60kgs by tomorrow, I’ll be doing an extra fast.

Thanks Thin, far from being a pin up girl. Cinque if Thin and CM hadn’t pushed me through my dark days I would hate to think where I would be now.

Sometimes I think why bother posting as I don’t have anything interesting to contribute but then I think there are so many people trying to find a healthy way of life and if I can keep posting my journey maybe I can change someone’s life. So you other forum people don’t feel that you have nothing to say. I for one read every post even though I may not reply. If we make a difference in just one persons life what a bonus.

Thin you are an inspiration and I hope that you will continue to have an input.

Thanks Intesha and please keep posting. Even when we get to maintenance, we still need to remain vigilant. PanIc over, I did a 5km walk and really pushed myself with some HIT and am now 59.4kgs. OK, it’s only a lot of water sweated out in the heat but still, under 60 is under 60, right?

I love reading all the posts from successful fasters, as it just keeps reinforcing how it works and keeps working.

For me, this will be the LONGEST ever on an eating plan, which I now call my WOL, and really can’t wait to get to May and say it’s been a whole year.

My OH still fasting twice a week and has been maintaining for about 5 months now, and he’s loving being able to eat/drink ANYTHING he wants on his 5 normal days and keep his lowest weight for years, with just 2 days fasting. He does work out like a trouper, but whatever he’s doing works, (although very annoying for me when I see him snacking for England, and no repercussions – and me still trying to stay on track to loose another 6kgs – which will be a total of 22.5kgs…. if it all goes to plan).

and yes Thin, this is the wedding trip – I haven’t seen the couple getting married for 5 yrs, since they came down south when the OH and I were married – and I was well overweight, but I think they’ll have a lot more on their minds – but I will really enjoy feeling so much better about myself.

GL502 – I feel your excitement of just being a whisker from healthy (400gms for me) and I shall wait with interest to hear of your success. Because my holiday will set me back a few kgs, I realistically don’t expect to get there long term till I return and put in the hard yards again.

Intesha – I loved reading about your success with actual facts, figures/dates etc – well done!!!! πŸ™‚ You must be so darn proud to be in size 12 now – just a dream for this newly adjusting size 14!

Brilliant results and mindset Nik, it doesn’t matter how long it takes now that it’s a WOL for you. Congratulations to Mr Nik too. Snacking for England! But exercising hard too so he truly deserves it.

It was around this time last year that I was feeling very satisfied to be buying new size 14 clothes. Without checking, I think I was around 71kgs throughout that Christmas period. I barely got to wear those clothes so don’t buy too many Nik. I still find myself grabbing size 12 and 14 in stores before remembering that I am a comfortable size 10 now. You and Intesha will be too.

Just sharing this, it is Victoria, and booked out…. but now you know it is on!
    An evening with Michael Mosley http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/evening-with-michael-mosley

I’ve been nibbling too much today. No more food til dinnertime!

Lovely to read all the bits about difficulties and successes, all leading to poster girl status!

I really enjoy reading about everyone’s journey too, especially on a FD. The only issue I have come across is when I am on a FD, reading the posts early evening, and people start describing their fav treat food -mmmmm can get my mouth watering.
    I got a bonus this week when after FD number 1 I had lost another 2 lb! Want to make sure it is permanent and still lost by next week 😊
    FD number 2 tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I feel great on FD and especially the day after. Long may this lastπŸ‘
    Nik T: astrolabe sav – could be my next reward after 5 more FDs….

Hi Jilly, I figure those delicious food posts are one of the initiation trials we have to pass to get to maintenance!

Second FD for the week 71.2. 500gms down from Tuesday FD. My lowest weight prior to going overseas was 70.7. On the way !!!!!πŸ˜€

have a good day everyone.

Far be it from me to become a booze pusher… but Jilly R…. I’ve found it a hopefully harmless treat to have a bottle or two with target kg’s written on, and looking at them (not drinking much in between) and then finally getting the pleasure of a great drink, and I have to say, the Astrolabe Sauv was even better than I ever remembered πŸ™‚

Liquid only day for me today, so just about to disappear while OH cooks himself some kai.

Will weigh in tomorrow on my “lightest” day – while realigning mind to start tracking my heaviest day when holiday over – 7 Mar onwards.

Wishing good resolve to all the Thursday fasters out there.

Thanks Nik!
    I’m a Thursday faster! So busy at the moment, but still got a good fast day done. Just about to have a little spiced chickpea and beef soup to finish off the day.

Intesha, you are going great guns!

Good morning. Well this morning weighed in at 70.6. 100gms less than just prior to going overseas. I am still stunned at how this WOL works.

I bought the updated 5:2 book in the UK and have just started to read it and it reinforces why we/I am doing this. The health benefits alone without the weight loss are worth the effort of maintaining this WOL.

I am going on a picnic on Sunday and most of the people I have not seen for nearly 5years I wonder how many will say anything!!!

Have a great weekend everyone. Cinque, thank you for your comment.

Intesha – great effort to get back to better than when you left, so quickly!!! Enjoy your picnic and the buzz you’ll have with knowing you’ve made such strides to improve your health!!

I had put on 500gms this week, think I’ve over endulged in bread, but just having a bit of a craving at the mo – ah well! and perhaps already getting in holiday mode before it starts!

Intesha, so that’s a new PB? Yesterday, I’d organised a coffee gathering of parents from DD’s ex-high school. It’s probably been over a year since some of them had come along. One of the dads joined us late and said he hadn’t been able to find our table because he’d been looking for me and I obviously hadn’t arrived yet. He was looking right at me when he said it and still didn’t realise it was me.

I hope the new you has fun at the picnic. No-one would ever comment when we’re gaining weight and some are equally loath to say anything when we lose weight. Yesterday, again someone asked me if I’d lost the weight intentionally. The polite way of checking I’m not dying before congratulating me.

See you here on Sunday Cinque. Merry, Bay, GL, Nik, Coast, Jilly et al – have a great weekend. newbies – where are you hiding?

Thin wasn’t even thinking PB, this morning 70.4. So so close to that 69 but am going out tonight and picnic tomorrow. Two more FDs before the end of the month such a challenge now.

It must have been a huge ego boost for you to have been unrecognisable you are such a winnerπŸ‘πŸ˜€

Good morning everyone, πŸŒ₯ It’s a bit like this here. A little bit of sun and lots of cloud.

Thin what a fab story! The picnic one. Does it keep you giggling?

I also got someone checking I wasn’t deathly ill before she congratulated me on losing weight. I get nice compliments generally because people are so surprised they need to say something and, well, I do look a lot better. People have begun to be surprised that I am still fasting, but they haven’t seen me naked! πŸ˜‰
    It’s nice to know I haven’t long to go.

Intesha enjoy those fast days, it would be a lovely milestone to say good bye to the 70’s forever.

Hello everyone else. Welcome to the weekend!

Oops need to go and see where the little one got to.
    Bye

Weigh in day today. Finally in the healthy range at 59.4kgs. For my build I should still be another stone lighter. My only concern is my waist measurement it is still well above 80cm. This will come down in time.

How are you measuring your waist GL? I do it the hard way around the belly button and mine’s not pretty either. Others take the smallest circumference in the ‘waist’ region. How tall are you? Well done getting into the 50kgs range – woohoo. All that gardening, eh?

Intesha, there will be great news from you this time next week. Can’t wait to hear that you’re in the 60s.

Cinque, I’m still smiling about the dad who didn’t recognise me – to be fair I suppose nearly a third of me is gone from when he last saw me two years ago. But he did know me quite well when the children were in school. You mention the little one – is your daughter still staying with you?

Looking forward to tomorrow’s FD as one a week is only just keeping me at/below my trigger weight and we had an Indian meal for lunch yesterday. I used to love that so much but now I just see carbs, carbs and more carbs. Where are the veggies?

Woohoo GL you are saying goodbye to the 60’s!

Tummies do seem to be the last thing. Even though I take the shortcut above the belly button mine is still pretty big, And Oh that strip around the top of my arms and my breasts. Will it ever go?
    (It is going, hooray, but not quickly)

That’s a good point about Indian food, Thin. There are so many beautiful veggies curries, but everyone concentrates on the breads, rice, poppadoms and dahl!

My daughter is staying with me, and my son in law was here for a couple of days for job interviews. I took him to the airport this afternoon. Rose and Josie go back on Tuesday, and then I head up there on Thursday!!!!

It is a lovely evening, the girls are in the bath. I’ll be called any minute to get Josie, so Rose can wash her hair.

Best wishes everyone!

When I started last year it was around the belly button. Since I have lost the weight it is around my natural waist which is slightly higher. I don’t have loose skin on my stomach as I have lost the weight it has lifted and stayed firm. The only floppy bits I have are my tuck shop arms. Since the middle of January 2016 I have been doing arm exercises from the Aust Better Homes and Gardens Nov 2015 editon which has reduced that quite considerably. It seems as the hot weather may be past us as the nights are getting quite cool low 10’s so it takes longer for the days to heat up. This will give my garden a chance to recover before we get the frosts again.

Yes when I began I didn’t have a waist so around the belly button was the best guess. Now I have a waist I’m d*mned if I will measure anywhere else! πŸ˜‰

Isn’t it a beautiful morning! Surely it is even prettier where you are GL, and it is gorgeous here, with that clear light and fresh air, leaves shining and birds calling.

Ooh what are the arm exercises? I’ve got some on my lovely yoga video, but they are are more for easing shoulders than toning flappy bits.

Cheers everyone

Yes, do share the bingo wings exercises GL.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,851 through 7,900 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.