Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 6 hours, 19 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,801 through 7,850 (of 28,008 total)

• Well done Aikhme. It’s so satisfying to get your 1st Fast Day done. Congratulations! The hunger dragon can be tamed. Most people experiment a little over time to work out the way a fast day goes best for them. You’ve discovered the morning after FD surprise – we’re not really hungry. Who would’ve thought that would happen, but it does. Great hey :-). Best wishes for Friday.
    Merry

Congratulations Aikhme πŸ†
    Those afternoon hunger pains are hard! I would say that it gets easier, but today I had horrible ones too. Usually though, they are fine, mine changed so much from feeling unbearable, to being a sensation that is telling me my fast day is doing its work.

Isn’t the morning after great! Best wishes for Friday from me too.

Hi Merry 🌺 Hope you are having a good day, and that things are getting easier.

Good news Aikhme, I’m pleased you reported in! Perhaps you could see how long you can go before eating on Friday (or whenever you decide to do it again). It’s easier to be hungry thinking about what you still have to come, rather than being hungry having already eaten it – if you see what I mean.

I only have coffee or water until 2pm. Many others go much longer than that. Whatever works for the individual is what works. At 2pm, I usually have my trusty cauliflower soup – it’s on that recipe thread Cinque gave you – but I realise you might not exactly feel like soup on a 40C day. I’m only having it because I have lots already frozen. Whatever you decide to have, planning ahead is a good idea I have found. When I first started, I planned 4 weeks in advance, so I had eight FDs on a spreadsheet which could later be mixed and matched.

After the soup, I’m always so full and it’s only 3 hours until I have my ‘dinner’. Around 8pm I might have an egg or a banana so I don’t go to bed hungry. Like you and many others, the next morning I often don’t eat until mid-morning, despite having spent most of the previous afternoon thinking about it. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Hello everyone I’m from Milang in south aust.
    Just starting my first fast day here we go.

Hi 50hereigo, have a good fast day(FD) and welcome πŸ™‚

FD for me today, and weight 68.3 this morning. Home again and looking forward to regular 2FDs a week from now on. Next minigoal is 66.9kg. The .9 is because I want to get back under 67. Totally over being 67 and 68 which I’ve been bouncing around in since my trip overseas, then the crappy Life stuff, Christmas, New Year, more crappy Life stuff, visit to family. Lovely having time to spend with my daughter and grandchildren. It was hot and humid but I handled it mych better with a BMI of 23.6 than I did with a BMI of 30+ and the 29.1 at the beginning of my 5:2 journey.

Have just read the forum thread I found under Active Topics called I’ve been on 5:2 for 23 weeks but new to the forum. Mr Data began his journey in 2013, checked in in Feb 2015, and now 2016. An inspirational quick read, especially for our new guys.

Hi Cinque, good to be back on the thread and now settling in for a good run on 5:2 again to get to my final goal weight of 62kgs. Not far now. Life is so much easier on 5:2 and with most of the weight gone! My highest weight ever was 93kg, 83 when I started 5:2. It works, it works, it works!

I’m staying on this for life. That comment appears in so many posts in so many threads on the forum. We have found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. 5:2 resets our thinking about food,mour habits, portion size, understanding what’s healthy for us individually and fits all our different lifestyles. We know now what short term hunger feels like and it’s not what we feared. I even look forward to FDs. Having a celebration, trip away, long term little yoyoing? Now it’s not such a hassle or a worry, because I know I can enjoy whatever’s happening, or get through whatever’s happening and 5:2 is there to help me, to be relied upon. Fall off the horse, just get back on. No worries. Love it πŸ™‚

Nap – not long ago there was a documentary on fat and sugar combined. A number of us saw it. Revelation – when you eat something with equal quantities of sugar and fat it’s addictive. The junk food industry knows this and puts out food designed this way deliberately. Glazed donuts, cheesecake and others I don’t remember fit the bill exactly. Other experiments have been interesting. Plate size affects the size of portions we see as ‘normal’. People subconsciously put more food on bigger plates. Try a smaller plate. Maybe on weekends, if there’s an option, choose a smaller plate to put food on. If you have bread or bread roll put it on the same plate not a separate one. People also put less food on black plates than on white. More spiced foods, stronger flavours, seem to satisfy more. Plenty of people swear by using chili on a FD. If you trial different strategies you’ll find what works best for you.

Happy FD to the Thursday fasters,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

The cheesecake, ice cream and pink doughnuts are my memories of the Sugar vs. Fat documentary too Merry. The food industry has a lot to answer for. But then again, some of it is just plain obvious surely – I can’t imagine giving a child sticky drinks or flavoured milk. Ever. All the best with your new goal – and 62 isn’t too far away!

Good luck with your FD today hereIgo. You’re not alone in SA. And there are lots of Thursday fasters.

I didn’t fast again yesterday as I was under 60kgs so the Sunday fasts seem to be keeping me at a stable weight. As you say Merry, if I have a blow out I can always add a second one. 5:2 has changed my relationship with food without even trying. It’s so good to be in control of food finally.

Hi there 50hereigo. I’m from Noarlunga and just happened to visit Milang last weekend. A nice part of the world!
    Glad to hear that you’re starting your journey today. I started January last year and have seen great results with weight loss. You may find it a bit hard to get used to fasting for a few weeks, but stick with it. I’m sure you’ll see the benefits, and it will gradually just become your normal lifestyle. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays, and this seems a common strategy for many 5-2ers
    Good luck!

Hi all, this is just me checking in. Flew back to reality this morning. Well weight when I left was 71.4 and just now after my shower 76.3. Not the end of the world and hopefully once my system readjusts will start to shed again.

I will post again tomorrow after I have had hopefully a good nights sleep and see what the damage is in the morning.

Welcome to all the newbies and I am looking forward to getting back into the zone.

Welcome home Intesha, It will be lovely to be back in the zone, and hopefully you will soon be back under 72!
    Best wishes for a really lovely night’s sleep in your own bed!

Hello here 50hereigo! Hooray for another Southern Hemispherite! How is your fast day going?

And hi Snaps01! Happy 5:2 anniversary! How is life after a year of 5:2?

Thin, I completely agree with planning the fast day foods in advance. I am not one for making the best decisions on the run: especially if I am hungry!

I’m just about to go shopping. My mouse/keyboard needs new batteries, it is doing terrible things to my typing!
    I’m having that day-after-fasting delight of ‘Oo I can have lunch! Whoopee!”

Best wishes everyone!

Good morning, slept for 11 hours, can’t shake the cold I have had for the past few weeks but so nice to get into my own bed last night.

Weigh in this morning 73.7 so so happy with that. 7 weeks and only put on 2.3kg. I have never come back from a holiday of even 4 weeks without at least adding an extra 5+++++kgs. I think trying to at least stick to the 16:8 principal most of the time was what probably helped.

This WOL is definitely a winner and a sustainable WOL forever.

Welcome back Intesha and that’s great to hear how well you did while enjoying yourself so much. Lots of inspiration for the newbies to our thread.

35C again today and it’s as if we’re in training for the 41C to come.

Wow Intesha, 11 hours! That should do you good! Good scales too! Gold medal!

It is feeling hot here, but only 29 so I won’t complain.

Just going to rest until between lovely visitors for a late lunch (sisters) and more visitors for dinner, with Mr 8 year old staying overnight.

Cheers everyone, I hope you are having a good day!

Weigh in this morning 73kg and I haven’t started any FD’s yet. Went to the gym for the first time since 16th December. Did a weigh there and yes I have only put on just over 2kg in 7 weeks. I can hardly believe myself with what I ate and the alcohol I consumed but I think my body is metabolising better thanks to 5:2.

My daughter-in-law called in yesterday and said ‘Wow you look fantastic’ YEAH.

Will get back to my regular FD’s next week, Tuesday/Thursday.

Hope you are all having a good weekend so far.

That’s fantastic Intesha! It’s amazing to know we can do things like go overseas and have such a great result compared to what happened previously. You’ll get that 2kgs off soon.

I’m sure my body functions better too. Whether it’s the weight loss I’ve already had or the regular fasting I don’t know, butr I would but the fasting seems to reset things in me.

Have a great weekend to you too Intesha, and happy fasting tomorrow for the Sunday fasters.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Thank you all for your best wishes and kind words. And hello again to all you wonderful Southern Hemispherites and welcome to the new members.

I completed the second day and it was a bit easier. I took the advice from thinatlast and managed to go through half the day with a nice cup of coffee – it was Turkish Coffee so nice and strong and without sugar.

I had my first bites at about 4PM and later I actually had a reasonable meal of grilled fish, salad and some fruit.

Well, I think I am past the plateau stage (hopefully). It’s early stages, but my weight loss seems to have accelerated. Anyway, will nee to see if the loss is real loss or whether I will spike back up. This week. after 2 fast days + exercise, the scales have me about 1.1 kg lighter.

It seems that the fast diet might be achieving fast results. πŸ™‚

Hello everyone, it is a warm Melbourne morning! A quiet day for me and I hope to have a good fast!

Hi Aikhme, lovely result! It s nice getting your fast days organised! I think coffee tastes even better on fast days!

Hi Merry, Intesha, it is a such a lovely thing to have the body working better.

I think my brain is working better in concert with it. I had a hearty meal last night and it was too big. My tummy was ready to explode. It made me realise how much smaller my meals have become, and how much better my body is at telling me I am full (just wasn’t listening last night) (until it was too late) (then I had to listen!) (oww!)
    Glad it is a fast day today!

Best wishes for a good day!

Morning all from a hot and sunny Perth (40C today and forecast up to 42C over the next 4 days so no whinging about 29C Cinque please). I’ve been out early for a river walk and I’m just enjoying my first coffee while reading the posts. Everyone is doing well – I’m very pleased to read of your progress Aikhme.

Cinque, I had a similar experience the other evening when we took our kayaks out and I packed far too much food for a picnic. I ate bread and pasta salad for the first time in ages and it didn’t sit well. I also took a pre-cooked chicken which is something we haven’t bought in about 10 years and I was drinking gallons of water all night. I wonder how much salt they added. I won’t be doing that again. Looking forward to a good fast today.

Do any of you wonderful people out there know anything about a natural sweetener called Stevia.

I’ve been doing my research on the net, and as is usually the case, the information I am getting is mixed.

Some say it is good without any adverse effects and others say it can cause other health issues like cancer.

I know its 0 calories, but not good if it can increase risks of cancer.

Am I worried about nothing?

You see, I am a bit of a sweet tooth, but I want to cut out most if not all sugar from my diet.

I do have a family history of diabetes.

Oh and if Stevia is not so good, should I stick to EXTRA?

Or is there another natural sweetener like Stevia without the adverse effects?

I put on 2kgs on this week as I was away helping my son shift. The house was in poor conditon and took us days to scrub and clean things. There was some smaller jobs left for him to finish. He just felt overwhelmed and did not seem to be getting ahead. He insisted on cooking tea and made home made hamburgers forgetting that I had given up sugar and cereal.

The garden managed to survive as I had 130 points before I left but the ground was already dry when I got back. Low 20’s where I was but 30’s here. A shock to the system. Hopefully will be able to get back out in the garden and catch up on the weeding.

Good morning everyone,
    Oh Thin! The heat in WA! You must be burnt to a crisp. You definitely get complaining rights!
    I hope you had a good fast yesterday. I had a lovely one.

Aikhme, I have a stevia plant in my garden. I put a leaf in my cup of tea to add a little sweetening. It works well. It has a slightly bitter back taste that you notice mostly with the bigger, older leaves, (and with the processed powder they make out of those bigger older leaves I have heard).

That leaf in my cup of tea is the only time I use it. It is a plant that has been used for thousands of years (South American if I remember rightly) but I don’t know about using it in large quantities.
    When I cut sugar out of my diet I decided not to worry about substitutes, but stick to savoury foods.

GL so good to hear from you! How frustrating that 2 kg is! And there you were doing a good deed! Not fair. But I bet it will drop off quickly. So glad you could help your son, and sweet of him to cook for you.
    I hope you can get back to your own routine now.
    So glad the garden is doing well, it will be glad you are home, too!
    Mine is very happy. That good rain made a difference! I’ve finally got a few tomatoes coming, and I think I have a couple of pumpkins on the vine, that is trying to grow onto the driveway!

Hello everyone else! A new week, full of promise. 🌺🌻🌺🌻🌺

I have some friends who I introduced to 5:2 and they use stevia, she carries the powder everywhere and swears by it. I quizzed her about it remembering the bad rap that artificial sweeteners were given decades ago but she says it’s not the same as it’s natural. I tend to agree with Cinque and stay away from sweeteners. It might be better to gradually wean yourself off sugar. I haven’t done it yet but I know I’ll be better off when I do.

GL, do you feel better without grains and sugar? How did you do it? Sugar is so addictive. I really must read that book I bought months ago, “I Quit Sugar”. It may be a good opportunity while I’m holed up in the air-con this week…

Yes thanks Cinque, all good yesterday although I was a bit hungry when I went to bed. Wishing all the Monday fasters a marvellous day.

Well I don’t know what the magic formula is but weighed in this morning at 71.9 only 500gms more than when I went away, didn’t do any excercise while I was away.

I know it’s not for everyone but I mentioned previously about taking water kefir everyday, it was my daughter who got me onto it so obviously I had it the whole time I was away and even took a bottle with me to have while I was in Dubai. Maybe because this changes your gut bacteria it has helped me to keep the body functioning and cleansed. I have no other explanation for my weight and I haven’t started my FD’s yet.

Aiming to get back into my routine tomorrow and looking forward to that magical 69 on my scales sooner rather than later.

I have used Stevia for years only at breakfast and in my one coffee per day. I think you have to make sure it is the natural one as again my daughter the health nut read the labels and some have maltidextrose, not sure of the spelling, which is not good apparently. I still have a sweet tooth and I don’t think that is going to change anytime soon but my portion sizes are definitely smaller and I no longer have the urge to eat a whole block of chocolate LOL.

Intesha, clearly you need more overseas holidays then. Congratulations!

Yay Intesha!
    I gather from others on this forum that there is some magic about quickly losing holiday weight gain. Whatever is the reason, it is great. 69kg, here you come!

I have remembered reading that food manufacturers (Coca Cola I think) worked out that stevia tastes best in a 50:50 combination with sugar. That might be why they add maltidextrose in some commercial brands.

Glad you had a good fast day, Thin. Have fun inside reading!

First full FD for me since December. Weight 72.2. Went to the gym yesterday so slowly getting myself back into the routine. My body clock is still to adjust but unfortunately I think as we get older it takes a little while longer but my philosophy this year is to be kinder to myself and not stress about things that don’t really matter. After two traumatic years it’s time to be a little selfish and think about what my needs are.

Once I reach that 69 anything after that is a definite bonus. I never thought I would ever get under 75. It is sad that so many have dropped off the forum as it feels like you’ve lost a friend but I hope we don’t lose anymore as reading the posts and hearing what others are going through puts it all into perspective and also gives newbies confidence that this WOL really is life changing.

Have a good day forum buddies πŸ˜€

Good morning all, posters, readers and lurkers, yep, you too,

Aik, there is a short thread on stevia in the forum list. If you put stevia in the search box, you’ll find it easy.
    I use a little sometimes in a cup of coffee, about 1/4 tsp, just to take the edge off the coffee. I try to not eat sugar, but do occasionally e.g. Special occasions such as anniversaries, birthdays. Other than that I do use diet jelly on a FD if I get the after 9pm ‘tired’ hunger. My OH invented a drink we have occasionally – diet ginger beer, about 2cm in a tall glass, lime slices, topped up with sparkling water (the bubbles make a difference) and ice. My philosophy on this is it’s better than sugar, at least while I get to goal weight. I don’t want to use a lot for a long time. That said, I did read that just the taste of sweetness in the mouth caused the body to expect sugar and it reacts with insulin. Like you, I’ve read varying articles. My suggestion would be to slowly adjust your diet away from sweet things, gradually decreasing. Some people go cold turkey off sugar, and others gradually decrease. It’s amazing how our tastes change. Over time what seemed right in sweetness can taste overly sweet. The amount of sweetness we like isn’t set in concrete. There’s a lot of habit in there. Our tastes adjust. When they do adjust you taste the food more.

While we’re discussing sweetness and sweeteners, they go often hand in hand with starchy carbohydrates – wheat, other grains, cous cous, rice, potatoes, white sweet potatoes, and sugar. Someone on the thread alerted me to this info i.e.that some people do not effectively lose weight while including starchy carbs and sugar. There are a group of people on 5:2 who have discovered that they are like this. Despite keeping to 500/600cals on FDs and their TDEE on nonFDs, they lose very little or none. I don’t know the biological mechanism, but take the starchy carbs out and the weight comes off. I’m in this group too. For me it’s a bit of a no brainer as I’m intolerant to most grains, gluten, and find sugar addictive. However, even using non gluten non-grain flours e.g. Potato, soy, chickpea etc cause the weight loss to stop with me. When I 1st started 5:2 I initially lost and then plateaud. It turned out to be the non-gluten, non grain starchy carbs I was including on nonFDs. Without them the weight came off again.

Aik I hope there’s something in that that’s useful for you. You are rightly concerned about the diabetic tendency in your family.
    Merry

FD yesterday went well except for a little bit of cheese that was extra. First cals of the day at 5.45pm with that bit of cheese. Dinner was whole greens prawns cooked in just a little oil, then peeled and dipped in a little salt, pepper and lime juice (about 400gms whole prawns between 2) with microwaved low cal, low GI vegies- cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, and carrot, with squeeze of lemon juice over them. Then low cal lowGI fruit – strawberries and rockmelon dipped in a little plain yoghurt. Drinks were sparkling water with lime slice and ice, weak EArl Grey tea black, and plain old water. I keep a jug of water on the kitchen bench with a full glass of water next to it. If I get that impulse to eat then I have a glass of water straight off. Having it ready makes it easier to do. That impulse to eat, for me, isn’t usually hunger at the moment. It can be stress, or tiredness. Yep, the FIL stress is continuing, sigh. He’s moving into the middle stage of dementia now, but fighting, metaphorically kicking and screaming, all the way, and his great survival skills that got him through so much, are rearing their head again. We are all the enemy. What a nasty, terrible disease Alzheimers is. We have been through the Alzheimers journey before, but FIL’s journey is the worst. So sad.

On a good note – 67.3 after yesterday’s FD. Checked back and I was here before a little while ago. Still bouncing around the 67’s and mostly low 68’s, but I know stress eating is sabotaging me on nonFDs and sometimes FDs. At least 5:2 is keeping me stable. Otherwise the last couple of months would have seen weight gain. Anyhoo, aiming for an adjusted minigoal of getting into the 66’s. I think my minigoals atm need to be just 1 number at a time.

Have a good FD all the Tuesday fasters,
    Cheers,
    Merry

Hi Merry, I’m with you, mini goals are the way to go especially with the weight that has already been lost.

I read somewhere that you should always have your fruit before meals as it digests quicker as it sits on top of a meal and ferments as it is so acidic. Not good for the digestion apparently.

While I was in the UK I watched a 4 part series by Dr Moseley, Trust me I’m a Dr, it had some very good segments, and did a study on various diets. They also found that women should always excercise after they have eaten. Not sure if it has aired here as I don’t have Foxtel or anything but it was bbc.co.uk/trustmeimadr
    Something like that. I’m sure if you google it it will come up. Also what oils you should be using and that olive oil as we know is number one and we should be taking 20ml per day. Very interesting

Hello -new to this .
    2nd day of fasting and so far so good.doing Tues/Thurs
    Couldnt believe the scales yesterday -weight off instead of on .If the only thing that happens is the “fat brake is engaged “i will be happy
    Little about me .
    Skinny until children then overweight but active size 16 ,never really dieted but now I’m 42 in a few weeks and have in the last year stacked on 15kgs….which made my overweight self Fat. My tipping point is I refuse to buy a size 20 pair of jeans.
    Fingers crossed.

* Ill be over here …reading thru the back threads*
    Teacup42

Hi Merry

Yes, I’ve been lurking. I agree with all that you wrote about starchy carbs and sugars and stevia. They are absolute no-nos for me if I want to lose weight and keep it off. Congrats to all the losers and newbies for choosing this way of life.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Hi Bay, how’s your quest to get those extra 4kgs off working out and is the sugar challenge going alright for you? Please keep posting!

I saw Dr Mosley’s TMIAD series too Intesha, I hope the others come back & visit us too. Welcome teacup – where are you located?

I read a bit more of “I Quit Sugar” yesterday and the author seems to advocate going cold turkey after first spending some time purging some of the main culprits.

Decades ago, when my dear nan was diagnosed with diabetes (a tall, slim lady all her life btw), the whole family made a decision to decrease our sugar intake to support her. Most of us at that time heaped two tsps of sugar (cringe) into our teas and coffees and we simply decreased it a little at a time until, as you say Merry, it began to taste horrible. If I accidentally get a gulp of OH’s coffee, I literally have to spit it out. My nan controlled her diabetes with her diet and she stopped using sugar in cooking, something we all got used to instantly. I was about 19 at the time and have never added sugar to anything since. So, I think we all have the capacity to change either by gradually decreasing it or going cold turkey, whichever works for us. I wish I could go cold turkey but I’m too chicken (he he).

What alarms me is the amount of sugar in food we buy and take for granted. Just for drill, have a look in your fridge or pantry at some of the jars & packets and read the sugar content. You’ll need a magnifying glass. Divide the gms or mls by 4.2 to determine how many spoonfuls of sugar you’re consuming. Now check the serving size and multiply (or divide if you’re likely to have less in a serving size). Scary!

Hello, how lovely to read through all the interesting posts.

Welcome Teacup, β˜•οΈ what an excellent user name. Congratulations on your first week of 5:2.
    If you can just keep on keeping on with it I am sure you will not only have the fat brake on, but you will gradually get back to your old pair of jeans. Sensible not to expect too much too fast though!

The huge relief for me is that these simple light fasts are all I needed to control that ballooning weight! Along with me being another one who cut sugar out of my diet…. Well mostly!

Re the sugar in everything, I am finding it hard to buy something savoury that isn’t sweet! Today I was at the shops at lunch time and treated myself to a meat pide at the Turkish place. It was absolutely delicious, but the bread clearly was made with added sugar, and I suspect the spiced mince had added sugar too.

Merry I am so sorry to hear that things are only getting worse for your FIL. I so hope they find a cure before I get it ( it is rampant in our family).

Good luck everyone with your mini goals.

πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’

Ooops, sorry I left off step 3 which is β€œCalculate the percentage of sugar: Divide the sugar weight by the total weight and then multiply by 100.”

So Cinque, when you’re out and about, you don’t worry too much if foods are likely to contain a bit of sugar? I’m such a B&W person, it seems daunting to me to completely quit sugar. As I don’t literally ‘add’ sugar, I suppose I could try not eating anything containing over a certain % of sugar – would that work or am I dreaming?

I have no problem cutting out grains just trying to think of something else to eat for breakfast as I have eaten cereal all my life. For me once I eliminated sugar and cereal the weight has been falling off. For family occassions I will eat what is on the table as it is to much trouble as they don’t understand the eating program. Two SIL’s going on about having to make extra meals etc. It is just not worth the aggravation. If I have a little bit there is usually no problem but over extended days then it takes a few days to get back to normal. I am now unoffically lost one of the two kilos already. I have my weigh in day on Saturday.

GL I know there will be a multitude of answers but I have cottage cheese and fruit, whatever is in season, sprinkled with cinnamon which is good for your blood. 2/3 cup cottage cheese (low fat) and depending on the fruit 1 cup rockmelon or grapes about 12 strawberries, an orange etc.

I do worry Thin. I get two really bad effects from eating sugar. One is that I feel poisoned, in a hungover kind of way. I was feeling so poisoned I could die, when I connected it to eating a lot of sweet stuff.
    So I researched and got this list:

Grams of sugar per 100g

100g – 37.5g Very High Sugar

Sugar, honey, dates, maple syrup, raisins, dried apples, dried apricots, dried figs, dried tomatoes

37.4g – 18.6g

Rhubarb cooked with sugar, hoisin sauce, prunes, plums

18.6g – 10.5g Medium Sugar

Grapes, mangoes, canned apple pie filling, cherries, bananas, croissants(!), apple juice, canned apricots, tangerines, milo drink

10.4g – 6.6g

Canned tomatoes, apples, plums, oranges, apricots, grapefruit juice, baked sweet potato, orange juice, peaches, beets, nectarines, melons, pistachios, sweet wine(!), yoghurt, grapefruit, nashis, eclair with custard filling and chocolate icing (!)

6.5g – 4.1g Low Sugar

Coconut meat, watermelon, miso, bread, paw paw, boiled sweet potato, canned beets(!), milk, cashews, potato chips, parsnips, strawberries, peanuts, peas, yoghurt, carrots, onions, blackeyed beans, raspberries, canned tomatoes, red peppers, macadamias,

4.1g – 2.6g

Feta, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, white corn, pecans, tomatillo, cabbage, cornchips, pine nuts, yellow corn, green peppers, eggplant, soybeans, turnips,

2.6g – 0g
    Fresh tomatoes, walnuts, buckwheat flour, zucchini, lemon, avocadoes, onions, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, radishes, scones, brussel sprouts, chives, cottage cheese, mushrooms, broccoli, potatoes, cauliflower, cucumber, lima beans, swiss cheese, asparagus, pita bread, beans, lettuce, eggs, pumpkin, garlic, unsweetened chocolate for baking(!), tofu, seaweed, mozzarella, beet greens, cheddar, oats, chicken, coffee, cornstarch, fish, ham, butter, oil, rice, salt, tea.

I used it as a guide for eating only from the lowest groups.
    After a few days I felt SO much better, and then I realised the second thing: that sugar caused those intolerable, insatiable brain signals making me crave something to eat.

That was five years ago. And anytime I ate something too sweet I would get the intolerable cravings, and the horrible poisoned feeling. It kept me on the straight and narrow!

But just recently when I have accidentally eaten something sweet (like today) I haven’t had the reactions. I have my fingers crossed that time without sugar, and plenty of 5:2, have cured whatever it was. Maybe if I don’t overdo it I can put some fruit back into my diet! I hope so, but I am going cautiously!

I did not put weight on until I got married and had to cater for 3 meals per day plus morning and afternoon teas and evening snacks. Also put onto low fat diet for health issues. I have gone back to what I was eating while single which was all full fat butter creams etc no diet products then. I have scrapped potatoes which I did not really like and put a double dose of pumpkin. The old english meat and three vegetables. My problem is that I carry the weight on my stomach but that is slowly coming down.

If you had told me this time last year I would have lost nearly 30kgs I would have said you were joking. I lost 10 kgs very quickly then plateaued till August when I cut out grains as well. Now I am down to just under a stone to go for my height. The only exercise I do is 4 mins HIIT cycling every second day.

GL we have such a history of grains for breakfast, but, ofcourse, we can eat anything we want. A lot of Asian cultures have soup for breakfast, in Egypt it is ful medames (fava bean stew with boiled eggs). An omelette could be a good choice. Sometimes I love left overs such as a plate of stew.
    I hope you find something that suits you!

PS I have a feeling your gardening might count as exercise!

From when I cut out sugar, I have also lost 30kg. It is transformative!
    Cheers for us and 5:2!

Wow GL, inspirational story – I have just read your profile which I don’t believe was up there when I looked before I went on hols. Well done!

Cinque, fabulous list, thanks for spelling it all out. I’ve pasted and copied it into my 5:2 food stuff file. What a transformation you have made to your life.

I like your ideas for breakfast too Intesha – I know Bay enjoys a poached egg and spinach for breakfast. I really need to break my cereal habit. The main reason I don’t is that it’s very low GI and keeps me going until dinner most days.

Hi GL

Well done on your weight loss journey. 🌺🌺

In my 30s and 40s I would have strongly resisted if someone told me that grains were my problem, and that I couldnt have my lovely home made muesli for breakfast. However, for the last 5 years for breakfast, i have been eating egg and vegetables such as spinach leaves, or asparagus, or avocado, or broccolini. Sometimes as a treat I have half a small bacon rasher or some smoked salmon. I rarely eat any bread, and never eat cereals. If I’m in a hurry I eat full fat Greek yogurt and chia seeds and a few blueberries for breakfast.

Or I wait until brunch and have some antipasto and avocado and spinach leaves.

Have you read the new Michael Mosley book The 8-week blood sugar diet? He sets it all out and provides the research notes to support the case. There are recipes in the book.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Hi Cinque

I agree with you that not eating sugars makes me feel a whole lot better about myself. Clearer brain, more energy and lack of cravings. Eating sugary foods hooks me into wanting more and more.

Good luck with your experiment of one. Blueberries and strawberries are the only fruits that don’t bring on the cravings for me.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺

Thin, I am sure you will note some eyebrow raising things in that list, after all different tomatoes can have widely different amounts of sugar, and the site I got the info from (US Department of Agriculture) didn’t clarify if there was added sugar in tins of things etc. But it was the best I could find, and I have found it very useful.

End of day. Going to watch some telly! πŸ™‚
    See you everyone!

Good morning all. First FD for the year done, weight this morning 71.5. Not bad.

Excellent Intesha!

Thin, is your airconditioner still working?

Lovely and cool morning in Melbourne (don’t mean to rub it in!)
    My daughter will complain of the cold when she arrives for a visit in a few days!

I wonder if some of our different needs are related to ancestral genetics. 5:2 works so well for me that I think I must be programmed to eat this way. Those who can’t deal easily with grains, or even those who hate salads: it fits with this research: http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/eat-like-your-grandma-why-you-should-skip-the-kale-salad/

Had an unscheduled weigh and measure at the gym this morning. Obviously the weights vary from my early morning starkers weigh to having had breakfast and in my gym clothes.

Weight 4/12, 73kg. Weight 10/2, 73.8. The amazing thing is I have lost another 7.5cm. Arms 1, bust 2, waist 2, abdomen 2.5.

BMI up .30, body fat up .80.

The trainer who is the owner was amazed and said she had just started 5:2 and already feels good!!!!!

Bay, wishing you all the best in your SFC starting today. You’re a star. One day, I’ll have the strength to join you. Instead I’ve had the full grease breakfast this morning. Although, I shared mine with DD so it was only one of everything. And I should qualify it by saying we paddled for about 3 hours so I feel I earned it in a way. I do keep meaning to read the latest Mosley book.

Cinque, air-con’s working well thanks! It’s only 40C today and we’re on the downhill slide…..phew! I like the ‘eat what your grandma ate’ articles so I’m going there next.

Intesha, so essentially an 800gm gain on that holiday. I’m betting you’ll be 60 kgs sometime this year.

I hadn’t realised until reading the blurb for “The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet” that Dr M. calls himself a ‘one-time diabetic’.

First: Apologies! I am shocking at numbers. I haven’t lost 30kg. Heading towards 25 I think. Sorry.

So Thin, only 40! Well, I bet you were out having a picnic lunch then!!!! πŸ˜‰

Intesha, Superduper! And you’re a mentor to your mentor!

Lovely evening here! Fast day tomorrow!

Hi Cinque, it’s a chilly 36C here in Perth. All the best for a great FD to you and other Thursday fasters.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,801 through 7,850 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.