Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,869 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 18 hours, 56 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,601 through 5,650 (of 27,973 total)

• CM, just read about OH, hope all is ok. What a sweetheart not wanting interrupt coffee! I’m sure he’s soaking up all the synpathy now.

Thin, just read about your size 10 purchase! Woo hoo! Glad you found something you like and that fits you well.

Freya, I hope Merlin is ok and you don’t see that from him again. Like CM said, it’s tricky when they can’t tell you whats wrong.

Has anyone tried the lean cuisine thai dumpling soup? It is YUM!!

MK88, hurray, you’re back at last. I thought you promised not to clear off again without asking permission. Naughty you, yes, waiting until midnight and then snacking on a muesli bar after the FD is cheating, but I think you already knew that! I really empathise about going to bed hungry though, there’s nothing worse because you can’t keep busy when all you’re trying to do is get to sleep. I’ve mentioned it before but I find an egg about an hour before bed really sticks to my ribs and I rarely wake up hungry the next day. For variety, I’ve been trying all different ways to cook one egg without any added cals. If I’ve already had an egg in the FD dinner, then I have a banana later in the evening, not quite as filling but does the trick. Glad your friend and baby are going fine. Has your hubby settled into his new job and how’s everything in your new home & neighbourhood?

Now to Alfie. Anyone else making kefir? CM was kind enough to give me some grains on Friday and they’re active little tykes. Probably because we keep our home very warm in winter. I’ve named them collectively Alfie as I remember some of you had names for your sour dough starters and this is a similar type of thing. So easy that even I can do it without much fuss (well, OK I admit there were quite a few emails to CM to start with).

CM and Freya are a wealth of food and nutrition knowledge and I’m already looking forward to our next coffee which might be in the Fremantle area – unless we get an invitation to meet EA and then who knows where we’ll be going. We travel! And we might be coming to a coffee shop near you so please speak up if you’d like to meet us some time.

Welcome back MK, missed your bubbliness.

Thin my daughter makes kefir all the time and she is going to get me onto it when she comes. I have probiotic tablets but apparently this is the mother of all probiotics.

Not saying too loud but I may have cracked the under 80kg at the night time weigh in. Still 77.1 this morning. I’m almost too frightened to eat!!!!!!!

Bought myself a vegetti today. $19.95 at one of those concept stores. Look forward to using it.

G’Day every one.
    Day one and it’s fasting. Should have planned it better and it’s Dry July so hopefully that’ll give it a boost too.
    Hope you’ll all be seeing less of me soon 🙂

Welcome JB57, good luck with your first FD. Please let us know if you have any questions. We don’t know everything but we love helping & supporting each other. We’d love to know which part of the globe you’re located in. Wonder why no Southern Africans have joined us.

Good job Intesha. There’s no stoping you now. Thanks for reminding me to get that vegetti out. Let us know what you think of it and how you cook your courgettes (if that’s what you’re doing).

Hi thinatlast,
    Thanks for the welcome, based in the sunshine state of the wonderful land of Oz.

Hi Johnboy, and welcome to a supportive group of people, as well as 5:2. Let us know tomorrow how you went with your 1 st Fast day FD. Keep busy, lots of water, and other no calorie fluids. Dry July should certainly give you a boost.
    Merry

FD for me and OH today. Started the day at 72.5kgs. Making spicy FD soup again with low cal vegies and diced low cal fish in it for breaking our fast at 6 pm. Soupand piece of fruit then weak tea again, or peppermint tea.

Cheers to all the Monday fasters,
    Merry

Lots of people to keep you company in the sunshine state JB57 and, if your name is anything to go by, lots of us of your vintage too. Look forward to hearing more from you.

G’day Merry. Did you keep that PB going all weekend? I’m up 400gms from mine of last week, not really surprising when I eat pizza one night and risotto the next. Back on track now. (P.S. our posts crossed Merry, I’ll have to scroll back to see if that’s your PB).

Sorry Thin! I knew I’d hear about it!! I work in medical reception and recently we have gone from 3 receptionists, to just me! So I’m very busy these days and have little spare time while I’m at my desk. A bit unfortunate to have to work so hard for my money 😉 What is kefir? Is it something to do with Kombucha (sp) Thank you for the telling off re: the midnight snacks! I needed it as I have been justifying it and I do really know it’s cheating. Todays FD has been a breeze, I’ve only had a coconut milk and almond latte and a la zuppa soup so I haven’t even hit 100 cals and its 6:30pm. I’ll be able to eat something substantial before dinner and sleep well with no snacking 🙂

Welcome Johnboy! We have had so many newbies join us lately so you’re not alone! Looking forward to hearing how FD N01 went for you.

Intesha, let us know how you go with your vegetti. Can’t be long till your daughter arrives?

Hello everyone and welcome JB57. A fast day for me today and it has been easy breezy. Made sure I was busy all day with walking in the morning and ironing in the afternoon. Looking forward to dinner in an hour or so. Having chicken, spelt rice and stir fry carrot and zucchini. Not had that yet so excited.

Yes I would be interested to know how you get on with your vegetti too Intesha. I bought a veggie twister at the weekend and don’t have a clue what to do with it or if you cook the veggies before you twist them. That’s why I have decided to stir fry the veggies tonight just cut up lol.

Have a good evening everyone and I look forward to hearing your results after your fast day MK88 and Merry.

EA, glad you had a good day today. Let me know if you need some ironing delivered for your next FD. Does that veggie twister make veg into strands like fettucine? If so, push the veg down into it while they’re raw. Mine was useless for anything but zucchini but you may recall I got mine from China for about $4. It works a treat for zucchini. On a FD I plunge mine in boiling water, on feast days I go mad and sauté them in a tiny amount of oil with garlic & chilli.

MK88, glad your FD went so well too. Have you ever tried those expensive yakult liquid yoghurt drinks? Similar to that but not commercial and much cheaper. Everything you ever wanted to know about kefir but were afraid to ask is here: http://www.yemoos.com/faqmmain.html. Let me know when you start yours Intesha (and that s/b *stopping above, sorry). Off to google Kombucha & spelt rice.

Hi folks
    Am just using the last few minutes at work to keep my enthusiasm for this FD going strong. I’m actually feeling a bit hungry but tell myself its scrambled eggs tomorrow. Once again I’m going to try to see how long that game lasts! I have the most resistant system to losing weight I’ve found. I think I need to crack through some sort of barrier because I’ve plateaued again. Bother, as they say in well-bred movies. A friend in Canberra sent me a vegetti and I really like it for zucchini. A trick is to really dry the strands out after shredding so that when you stir fry it it keeps ‘al dente’. EA: you spiral/shred the veg raw, though I imagine a very lightly steamed carrot might go easier than raw one. CM mentioned when we met that ‘bone broth’ didn’t sound that enticing to her – but it is so delicious that it’s worth translating it to ‘consomme’!! That’s my evening liquid to look forward to. It does help to have something warm and savoury to trick yourself. I’m not eating 500 cals on my fast day … I realised over the weekend that I’ve been concentrating too much on finding lovely recipes and really have to focus on near absolute fasting for now. A resolution! There’s not so many good photos to look at though, unless it’s other people’s slender bodies. Well, venturing out into the weather for the homeward journey now … cheerio for now. I had no idea how lovely it would make me feel to actually participate in the forum rather than just read your posts. Gorgeous!

G’day Thin – my PB was 72.3 so up 200 gms this morning . Have had a busy few days since my Personal Best – an unexpected visitor come to stay Friday night, My ME/CFS support group meeting with lunch provided on Saturday, and trip to Sydney on Sunday to see the Les Miserables matinee. So a busy time for me, with food partially under other peoples’ control. Counteracted this by drinking only no calories drinks, sparkling water works really well with a meal out. Also, didn’t eat till 2pm on one day, no breakfast another , and kept quantities down throughout the rest.

Today, FD has been quiet, resting, just doing light things, seeing and talking to my little grandchildren on Skype, a 2 hr sleep this afternoon, made soup, being careful after yesterdays visit and show. Lots of people around me eating icecreams at interval! Aaaaagh. Hoping to see a good result in the morning . I quite enjoy FDs now. Wierd, hey.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Sorry for the late post. Busy day, as I took OH to Doc & had one of the grandkids today as well! Cold, wet & miserable…..oh what to do with kids when it’s like that?? Hi MK88, glad you’re back with us. Welcome to JB57, good luck with FD #1. You make me laugh Intesha! Too frightened to eat….you’ll be passing me at the rate you’re going.
    Glad Alfie is behaving Thin! Are you enjoying the taste? What about the rest of the family? Ok, I’ll name mine, just to keep yours company…..how about Lionel? Kombucha is a lot more mucking about, you make it with tea & sugar (I think) and takes longer too.
    Anyone into fermenting out there? Kimchi, Sauerkraut, etc. If so, how’s it going? Going to give it a whirl soon. Bedtime now and the end of another FD. Nite all. CM xx

Well, day #1 FD done and dusted, Breakfast sure was good this morning!
    Decided to go for a long walk, along the foreshore, last night to avoid the grazing trap in front of the TV. The dog is enjoying this health kick anyway.
    It wasn’t as bad as I thought it might have been. I know it’s just a case of educating the mind more than the body, to accept the different way of doing things.
    It’s just dawned on my that the next really big challenge will be on Wednesday, my next FD is also Origin day! That means a trip to the leagues club and have to sit sipping soda water whilst the Maroons take on the Blues in he decider. No celebrating or drowning my sorrows, and no sneaky pies or sausage rolls 🙁

Hi jb57 I relate to your pain about abstaining while others are eating, although as its pies and sausage rolls you can feel virtuous! Last night I sat with my sisters family as they ate a really healthy and delicious dinner and I continued my fast … I swung between feeling slightly ridiculous then resentful then reminded myself this was my choice and my challenge! I was there as it was a gathering before my nephew goes back to Melbourne, so was very happy to be there. I’m trying hard to get over a hump or off a plateau and get onto a downhill run. It seems I’m more of a cross country than racer type. Am I surprised?
    Tonight I’ll make soup! CM my mum used to make sauerkraut and roast pork for our Norwegian Christmas meal but it’s something I’ve not triedto do. I’ve seen the fermented vege at the health food shop in Napolean st in Cottesloe but not tried it. This is perfect kitchen experiment weather though, so have fun.
    Have a lovely day SHs.

Sounds like everyone had a great FD yesterday.

JB57, you made it through your first FD and a new beginning for you. Agree with Freya, as it would have been pies and sausage rolls tomorrow, you’ll be doing your body a double favour by fasting on that day. You will be celebrating – a healthier you. When you find yourself faced with the odd event in future though, you have the flexibility to switch FDs around. I like to switch mine for the day before the scheduled FD, not the day after. How did you get on to 5:2? I used to be a couch snacker in the evenings and now I can’t even recall when on this journey I stopped doing that. It’s great how this WOE resets your portion sizes as well as your food desires over time.

Freya, I understand the array of feelings you described so well. You were strong keeping the goal in sight and sticking with it. It’s all for you. You’re going to look and feel so good.

Merry, I welcome FDs too. It’s so much easier to be disciplined on a FD compared to feast days. Good job only going up a smidgeon with all those temptations.

EA, I have now heard from JJ, 5:2 website manager. He’s currently away and there’s a problem with the site as well as with his email. He said he sent my email address to you.

CM, yes I do like the taste of kefir. He was a bit sluggish yesterday so I gave him a little shake before going out and just an hour later, he was really thick. I read about Kombucha, a type of tea.

Morning all.

lol Thn. I didn’t even get through one of the two baskets of ironing as have to time it between toddlers nap. If I ever see the bottom of the baskets, I’ll let you know.

Yes, this veggie twister apparently turns my veggies into “attractive spaghetti or spirals in seconds”. We shall see. I will have to have a play. Although I must say I did enjoy my stir fried carrots and zucchini with my chicken. I typed that I was having spelt rice with my meal but I actually meant quinoa. However, I couldn’t find it in the pantry so only ended up having 339 calories for the day instead of 460. What with that and walking/ironing I was hoping for a good sign from the scales this morning. I was 68.35 yesterday morning and 67.65 this morning so a loss I know but I hate the fact that post second fast last week I was 67.4. I really do not like this going up business on non fast days. Especially when I have been good. I really want to be in the 66’s after my next fast this week.

Anyway, it’s all good.

CM – I hope OH is okay. I haven’t fermented anything before. Not sure I am brave/confident enough.

Congratulations JB57 for completing your first day and all the best for tomorrow.

Grrr just did a long post and lost it. Have been trying for hours to post, very trying. Anyone else been having trouble ?

Freya know exactly how you feel on both counts, I have never participated in anything like this before and the camaraderie and support is wonderful, the plateau nearly did my head in and if I hadn’t read about everyone else’s struggles and successes I would have given up.

FD today, 77.4, still can’t quite believe it but feeling more optimistic about going further.

Now that the post has finally gone through everyone else has posted. I get more frustrated with this site than the weight loss, lol

Good Morning all,

JB57 – well done on successfully getting through your 1st FD! Enjoy the game on Wednesday, stay strong, lots of sparkling water.

FD yesterday and new PB again today- 72.0 That figure seems so amazing to me, after thinking I would never be able to get my excess weight off, yet knowing how much it would mean to my health. 10 kgs to go now as my long term goal is 62. I feel so much lighter, my balance is better, and my Exercise physiologist who’se helping me with my slow rehab is also very happy with my progress. I think I might be his 1st 5:2 client as well, so he’s finding it interesting.

Intesha have been having a challenge getting onto the internet last night and this morning, will email later today. 77.4 sounds good. Woohoo . You’re definitely securely out of those 8 numbers now! Well done you.

Cheers
    Merry

That’s great news all of you Monday fasters, well done everyone. Lovely to read all that success.

Re: the problems with posting on the site, I discovered (and JJ confirmed today) that it’s automatically putting my ‘handle’ in the email address field. So, when I try and post, I get a message saying I’m not logged in and I lose the post. To see if this applies to you, try and edit your profile and see what appears in the email field. The only way around it until it’s fixed is to highlight & copy your missive before submitting so that if this happens, you can still paste it once you’ve logged in.

HI all,
    It was my better half that put me onto the 5:2 system. We’re doing it together so we can encourage each other, and support each other. Our goal is for our wedding in October.
    There was a doctor she goes to see once a year for an eye test and he’d done it and was almost unrecognisable. We have recently done a 12 week challenge, we got a prize for attendance, but didn’t get the results we wanted. We did end up a lot fitter than we were but no real weight loss. We have the Bridge to Brisbane coming up so we are very determined and motivated at the moment.
    Thanks to everyone for the best wishes and the warm welcome.

Congratulations to you both JB57! Even better to have someone to share the new WOL with and hopefully you’ll both be so happy with it, you’ll carry on well beyond your wedding day. Fitness is more important that fatness in terms of living a longer life. I expect you’ve read Dr Mosley’s ‘Fast Diet’ book. If not, it’s highly recommended and easy reading.

Regarding your observation that you didn’t lose as much weight as you’d have liked through the challenge programme (and assuming this was an exercise challenge), it’s also worth reading his book ‘Fast Exercise’ which explains in simple terms why we cannot sustain weight loss through exercise. As someone who’s handed over a not unsubstantial amount of money in gym fees over the decades, it was quite an eye opener. Some of the regulars may not have read this so I’ll post the link where you can get a free sample read:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/fast-exercise/id762282516?mt=11

Under the picture of the book, click on ‘View in ibooks’. You have to agree to launch an application. When you get there, you click on ‘Read Sample’ which is under the ‘buy’ button. This sample chapter really explains it all. Intesha, I first posted this for you some months back – did you have a look at it? What did you think?

Thin, when I was trying to post this morning it kept going back to the very first post. I did copy and post, disconnected, reconnected but it kept doing the same thing. So who knows what is going on.

Yes I did read the excercise didn’t end up buying the book but I guess the thing I got out of it is that you don’t have to excercise yourself to death, just enough to keep the body and bones maintained. So I don’t beat myself up now if I don’t go to the gym 4 times a week. Now after 5 years I know that I am doing okay for a nearly old aged pensioner.

Hi everyone, have been reading your posts today with interest. Start first fast tomorrow after hearing of the success of a work colleague over last 3 months she has reached her goal weight!
    Recently had a knee replacement and looking forward to getting back into shape, start cycling again and feeling healthier and happier.
    I live in Hobart and winter hibernation is upon us. Looking forward to achieving goals!

Welcome jsan. Thanks for completing your profile, plenty of us are in your age group. If they’re like mine, your knees will be very grateful for adopting this new way of life.

Your work mate probably recommended that you read Dr M’s book ‘Fast Diet’, it’ll be the best $11 you’ve ever spent. There are wise folk on this thread who’ve been sustaining their weight for some long time, others who’ve embraced the WOL long-term and are still striving to reach their goal weight – all of whom can offer helpful advice from personal experience if you get stuck. We’re all different and we’re all learning.

For newbies, our gurus seem to recommend measuring absolutely everything (because many people reach plateaus on this journey and find they lose cms during those times); watch the Horizon programme ‘East Fast Live Longer’, plan ahead your FD menus, keep busy, calculate your TDEE and try not to go overboard on feast days. Count absolutely all cals on FDs including milk taken in coffee, etc and don’t go over your 500/600 limit. A lot of people on these pages advocate drinking lots of water, however Dr M. busted the ‘8 glasses of water’ thing as a myth but he did say drinking lots of water won’t hurt. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Warm welcome to jsn and jb… I think everything has been said and much better than I could say it (kudos to you Thin !) this group is very supportive and non-judgemental and full of helpful hints.. Jb, when i started this wol back in September last year, I thought if I lost 10k I would start getting back to running .. I did the Mother’s Day classic last year (5k) and now 17k lighter I’m aiming to do the 10k Run Melbourne in a few weeks..I’m still losing weight and training but my girls feel I’m ‘toning up’ ..thing is I don’t think you have to exercise to lose weight with this way of life, but if u want to, I think you can .. I’ve plateaued 3 times but stuck with it (and it’s a hell of a lot easier lugging 71k around than 88!) keep on keeping on!

Hey all, well done Johnboy on your first FD! Wish I had a dog to walk along the beach with, I envy all you SH’s that seem to have dogs. Who was it yesterday that referred to us as Sthn H’ites and said they’d tried to abbreviate it more but it sounded rude?! I had a good laugh at that and actually think that due to the humourous group we are- we should proudly call ourselves The Shites!

FD yesterday was an absolute breeze just like EA’s was. I barely came close to my allowance and by 8pm had only had 100 calories. Not like me at all! So, Thin, I did not require my midnight snack this time round 🙂 Fasting again tomorrow and OH has the same complaint as you Johnboy- no beers and parmas whilst watching maroons smash the blues! It’s great having someone to share the journey with and sympathise with you on your tough days. When are you getting married? How exciting 🙂

Thanks for the link Thin, I’m going to read it now with a cuppa 🙂 Thanks for the info on keffir too, i am familiar with yakult and don’t mind the taste of those wee drinks. Kombucha on the other hand, reminded me too much of apple cider vinegar that my healthy hippy mum used to make us drink first thing in the morning with manuka honey as kids. Yuck. CM, I think Lionel is a fantastic name! Hows OH mending up? Intesha- 77.4!! You are flying down!! Good on you, how exciting. You’ll be under 70 by xmas!

Thanks for the welcome Hootinannie and Thinatlast, it’s great to read about your successess and suggestions. I’ll keep you posted!

Hi to another newbie, Jsan. Good luck tomorrow, we’re all here for you if you have a question, need help or support, or if you need a kick in the behind! Joking….but it has been done before. These are gladly given out by any one of us!

Well done on your first FD JB, glad it went well and welcome to your OH too! Was it the Michelle Bridges challenge that you did? Lots of smart doctors are now recommending 5:2 – mine included.

Wow, Merry, that’s fantastic. You’ll be in the 60s in no time. So glad you’re feeling better as a result.

MK, we’d really get ‘em talking if we renamed our thread to The Shites!! Oh, and before I forget Go The Mighty Maroons…you can take the girl out of Qld but never take the Qld out of the girl! Kefir is delicious, sort of like a runny yoghurt but soooo much better for you than yakult – and it only costs the price of the milk….bargain.

Hoot – you should be so proud of those achievements. I’m really impressed.

EA – Thanks. OH is on the mend, on antibiotics and going back to doc again tomorrow.

How’s Merlin been Freya?

Thin, glad you’re showing Alfie who’s boss!

Re site issues. I feel your pain Intesha….although not in the weight-loss area (that’s fab)! The site has been logging me out too, but I haven’t had any trouble getting online. Lost too many messages & just don’t risk it anymore. I type my posts in Word on my PC or in Notes on ipad/iphone, then copy & paste it onto the forum. Thin’s idea is good too, but I would always forget to copy it before I clicked Submit and that would be the time I’d lose it. CM xx

Hi CM Merlin is fine … Part of me thinks I panicked but mostly I’m so glad all the tests were done even though im left with a mystery. MK88 we have a few dog beaches in Perth and Merlin the White shepherd and I are at Leighton dog beach every weekend in the summer. The dogs have the best time and I find myself walking on the waters edge with a big smile on my face. I call it the happiest place in the world! It’s not at all tempting though in the cold stormy weather we’re having now! I got home a bit early today, put on soup and walked along the river where I live. It was calm and lovely then and the bushes smelled wonderful after the rain. I’ve eaten a big dinner tonight: some German bacon and left over stir fried cabbage and onion. Then some very soft beef off the soup bones and some yoghurt and raspberries. Full as a goog! I shall sleep well. This was after 48 hour fast with soup broth and coffee with coconut oil. So I am managing to concentrate on the not eating more than the recipe thing for the moment. Here’s to a “pay off”. Good night Shites. Sweet dreams.

Freya, congrats on the 48 hours fast, wow! You said you’d do it, and you did! Was it really difficult? So, FDs for most of us tomorrow. Nite all. CM xx

This WOL is sure crazy. FD yesterday, a.m 77.4, p.m 79, this morning 78.4. Our bodies don’t like giving up that fat layer.

I admire anyone that can do long fasts, I just don’t think I would have that amount of determination, well done Freya.

Busy day today, getting most of my parents goods out of storage, it has been over a year now and I’ve just had to force my Dad’s hand. I just think it has all been too much for him. There are 28 boxes that need sorting and white goods that really need to be disposed of. It’s all very sad but paying exorbitant storage fees is crazy. Their whole life is in that storage container but they are never going to have a house together again and I think it’s time to move on.

MK, if you had of said to me at the beginning of this year that I could be anywhere near 70kg by the end of the year, I would have laughed at you. But now I just shake my head in amazement to think it’s possible.

I admire your determination Freya, did that pay off? I really don’t think I’m capable of a 48 hour fast. MK88, what do you think of Freya’s coconut oil in coffee? I tried a spoonful when we met last week but think I’ll stick to the almond & coconut milk – having one now in fact. I did buy another jar of coconut oil to use in cooking after Freya & CM explained its many benefits.

Intesha, that’s tough. It’s hard for people to let go of the past. I feel possessions hold you back. Twice in my life I’ve sold everything I owned down to a backpack & sleeping bag and it was so liberating to hand over the workplace keys, car keys and finally the house keys to someone else. I was a lot younger then of course but even now, I am constantly getting rid of things. It’s incredible how much ‘stuff’ we acquire in our lives. For your Dad, it marks acceptance of the end of an era and the loss of his independence and that’s very hard to deal with I’m sure.

Hoot, thanks for reminding us how far you’ve come, you’ve achieved so much and now planning a 10k run. You must be very fit (or you will be at the end of it!).

Well done MK88, I hope your Monday efforts were rewarded on the scales. Ever thought of dog-sitting? It’s a great way to have a dog around without any commitment. After our beloved dingo died, we started dog-sitting because I couldn’t bear the thought of losing another dog. In no time, by WOM, we were booked all the time and we ended up with about 10 ‘regulars’. We did that throughout our daughter’s high schooling (pocket money and exercise for her); lovely to have a dog around as we all love them and you can go on hols without the dramas. We still have one or two favourites coming to stay but these days we plan to just have the weekend greyhounds.

What’s all this have to do with fasting the newbies ask? Absolutely nothing.

More than possible, Intesha. You’ll do it! Near or at 70 by Christmas. Now that’s a great gift to give yourself….not to mention the new wardrobe!! Good luck tackling your parents storage. Yes, it will be hard & a final acknowledgement for your Dad. But I hope it will feel like a weight off both of your shoulders once it’s done….& I’m a huge fan of Gumtree.

Thin, we were dog-less for 12 months & couldn’t bear it. Now Charlie wants a buddy!

I’m feeling thinner this morning but no change on the scales. Haven’t eaten yet so will try to delay as long as possible. Want to have a really good FD today to get those scales moving. Salmon & stirfry again tonight…..it was on special at Woolies!
    Happy fasting everyone. CM xx

Hi all, I am just starting out in Melbourne. A bit worried that the cold weather is not terribly conducive to fasting but I am going to stay positive. I have a question for you all. Should I plan to make my fasting days regular ie on the same day each week? Does it matter if I change them around? My husband is usually the cook In our house so if he decides to cook a nice meal on the spur of the moment after I have been fasting during the day will it hurt if make another day the fast day? Hope this makes sense! Also I think I may need to try 4:3 for a bit just to get a head start- being realistic I know from past experience if I don’t see results fairly quickly, I cave!

Hey Mamadoo and welcome 🙂 I’m in Melbourne too, where abouts are you? It is freezing cold- especially today but I just wear an extra thermal and drink plenty of pepermint tea to get me through! In regards to switching your fast days around accordingly, you can absolutely do this. I think 5:2 is the most flexible ‘diet’ ever! Theres a wealth of knowledge and support on this forum so please stick around. I’ll let the wise owls chime in with more info and help!

Thin, I read the bit about Freya’s coconut oil coffee and was intrigued! I love baking with it but can’t say I’ve tried it in a coffee. Freya, whats the idea here? Obvious health benefits, or taste? Solid effort on your 48hr fast!! Thin, I have thought about dog- sitting, or foster caring while dogs find their forever home. I work full time and I only have a small out door area so It would probably be fine for older dogs but I just don’t think it’d be fair to shut them in a small outdoor area for 8 hours a day 🙁 OH is begging me for a dog and has been for 3 years now… We really want one but as i say, small outdoor area and both full time! Bummer.

Intesha, if you are on Facebook- check out your local buy, swap, sell pages. You can give stuff away or make a little money for your Dad buy selling stuff quickly on there. Op- shops will usually take your whitewares pending their quality too. Good luck with it all, it’s got to be very hard parting with your posessions after a life time of having them fill your home.

CM, thanks for the info on kefir. I’ll have a wee google and see if I can start my own! Hows Lionel going?

Happy FD to my fellow wednesday fasters! MK88 xx

MK88 – please disregard. Totally irresponsible suggestion on my part – I just wasn’t thinking about you both working all day and leaving poor pooch on its own. Weekends maybe? How did you fare on the scales after your big effort on Monday?

Lots of good ideas for Intesha MK88. CM, you’re so right about feeling lighter when you’re not saddled by ‘stuff’. I love my gumtree & can’t believe it’s still free. I’m sure my neighbours must think we run a dope racket here. I can see it might be tricky selling stuff out of a storage garage because arranging viewing wouldn’t be all that easy. After we’d lived here 12 years, we brought a shipping container of stored ‘stuff’ downunder. Honestly, after you’ve done without it that long, you really never need it again and I couldn’t believe some of the rubbish we (well, OH really) had hung on to.

Mamadodo a big welcome to you. MK’s answered your question. The fast days can be completely flexible. You might find it becomes more second nature and easier to stick to if you do assign two specific days. Then, your chef husband can work around your FDs rather than the other way around (there’s the psychological defeat associated with starting a FD and then abandoning it). Depending on how much weight you need to lose, you may not need to do 4:3 initially as the first kilos are easier to shift. And that’s a lot to ask of yourself when when you’re just starting out. Anyway, we’re all very different and you’ll find what works best for you. As MK says, this is so flexible which is why so many of us have success. Let us know how it goes.

Hey Thin, maybe I’ll just quit my job and become a dog Mum? That would make OH very jealous! But then at least he’d get the dog he’s longing for?! I might post on my local community board that I am available for weekend puppy sitting 🙂

I meant to ask you actually- my scales broke a few weeks ago so haven’t had a weigh in for 3 weeks! What are the salter ones you recommended ages ago?

Well, FD #2 finished in work, so far so good. Nice 2 egg omelet for brekkie, Salomon salad for lunch and no Tostie at morning tea, we have them now and again to celebrate things like Origin day, Luckily I had a breakdown on the shop floor so that kept me out of the office.
    Off for an interview now and then the game later> Starting to like Soda Water!!!!!

Well done JB57 and your BH too. Good news on the scales yet? Can’t do soda water. Can manage tonic water but only if it has gin in it. 1pm and I’m on peppermint teas now.

MK, you can put an ad for weekend/holiday dog-sitting on gumtree too. And check on there for people looking for dog-sitters. Even if they advertise that they want their pooches cared for at their own house, you can write a little blurb about what you have to offer at your house.

It wasn’t me with the salter scales, mine are Weight Watchers from the Good Guys. They give the BMI, water & bone % readouts but I’m not sure how accurate all that is really. Intesha, I can’t figure it out either with the fluctuating weights, I’d gained 600gm since my PB last week and was still up 600gm this morning too. Did a lot of HIT on my walk this morning and now I’m back to 62.0 again. As PVE says, weight normally fluctuates a couple of kgs during a week (food in transit, water retention, etc) but there doesn’t seem much logic sometimes does there? Not complaining, a PB on a FD might mean I see something in the 61s tomorrow.

CM, stick the grandies in front of a DVD and get on here with us – I’m dominating the conversation.

LOL – you lot are hilarious. Can’t do soda water either…but G & T, that’s another thing entirely!! JB well done on FD #2.
    Hi Dodo (just kidding – we’ll come up with another abbreviation for you, but it IS tempting) and welcome. Yes, its harder in cold weather, but if you’re in the right head-space now, then just do it. You’ve got soups and roast veg to have instead of salads. It’s nice to have a change from rabbit food. Ask your hubby when we can come around for a chef’s dinner???? Don’t worry, Thin, EA, Freya & myself are all in Perth, so no risk of that happening. Keeping busy is the key on FDs.

Lionel is doing well, MK. Just had to pull apart the grains, as they were all hanging out together – apparently it work better then too. They’re like little cauliflower florets. Interesting little gremlins…. I’ve got digital Salter scales, but none of the extra stuff that Thin & the others have….it just weighs me. I’m very happy with them and they were under $50.

Thin I’m with ya, girl! Now 3pm and I’m sipping a peppermint tea and think I’ll actually get through to dinner without eating today. Its been fairly easy, but then I’ve been busy too.

Go the Maroons!! SIL is a Blues fan and he can be unbearable if they win. CM xx

EDIT Forgot to mention, Dodo. I agree with Thin 4:3 is too much at the start & you’re setting yourself up to fail. Get your head around it all first. Get into a routine, see how your body reacts, and then you can think about changing things or increasing your FDs. I do Mon & Wed (always) and a semi-FD on Fridays (sometimes). Hope this helps.

Thin…..61’s on the horizon!! Woohoo!

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions re selling but truthfully it’s just too much effort. I think I will be taking several trips to the Salvos. My neighbour is having a council pick up tomorrow so I put a few things out there, somebody might come past and take them. It wasn’t Dads idea to get the stuff out, I made the decision as there were clothes, Manchester, kitchenware, microwave, washing machine, fridge, lounge furniture etc, and he is paying exorbitant amounts each month for things he will never use again. There are still wall units, coffee tables, carpets etc but they will just have to wait. My house is groaning under all the weight.

Well I’m sorry pals but I am sitting here with a large scotch and a handful of peanuts. Not cooking dinner tonight, Dad is having leftover stew.

FD tomorrow and lots of sorting.

MK, it was me with the Salter scales, I bought them off eBay, brand new. They measure everything, bone, muscle, fast, water, BMI, I think they were about $89. If you are interested I will look the details up for you.

But isn’t SIL worse if they lose CM? Gremlins, great name for the kefir grains. Yeah, dodo, we’re in Perth but MK was asking which part of Melbourne you’re in so be careful, she might be round for a midnight snack. CM, good job today! I’ve had 125 cals far but I’m disadvantaged – my neighbours are cooking something yummy, really annoying, smells like bacon.

Sounds like you need that scotch Intesha!

Hahaha Thin, it’s a pretty real threat that I will show up at Dodo’s right on time for my midnight snack! You make me laugh. (I think Dodo’s going to stick!)

JB good luck for your interview! Glad FD No2 has been good to you. They get easier as you go along too so you’ll be great at this! My OH has coke zero and popcorn to snack on tonight. Lucky boy! Enjoy the game tonight.

CM and Intesha, I think I’ll just go out and get some regular boring scales. Not sure I’d even use all the functions the fancy ones have! Thank you though Intesha.

Good luck for good results tomorrow fellow fasters, Thin I hope you hit 61!

Viewing 50 posts - 5,601 through 5,650 (of 27,973 total)

You must be logged in to reply.