Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 12 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,101 through 5,150 (of 28,005 total)

• ha ha, you’re funny CM

Wow it’s getting busy on here.

CM have a wonderful holiday, what ship are you on? My brother is on a ship over there somewhere, wouldn’t it be funny if it was the same one.

FD for me today but my daughter-in-law rang and asked to meet up with the grandchildren. I have been quite good. Had a skinny latte and then a vegetarian salad which I didn’t finish so will have that tonight with some soup. So hopefully haven’t done too much damage. Weighed in at 80.1 this morning. Tomorrow is my official monthly weigh and measure at the gym so that will be the telling factor.

Hi CM I am a little green about your lovely day and nice of you to check in! Hi thin- haha- But you know there is only so thin you can get- totally agree with you about sugar caffeine- sugar withdrawals are nasty and you don’t want to be in a vicious cycle of constantly withdrawing EA.
    I’m not sure how others feel but for me, the better I am with my diet, the more I notice what is not good for me so EA it’s really interesting to try and make sense of what your body is telling you- I don’t eat sugar and now no grains as well and feel really good for it although I know some people find it drastic. I have been reflecting on just how addicted I was to wheat/gluten and how it kept me in a constant state of craving! Hoping never to go back there.
    MK I haven’t moved house for 17years and feeling very glad for that- sounds like you have had a lot of energy to get a huge job done.

Hi Nads77 and JGF, would definitely be keen to catch up face to face!

Coming to the end of my second FD of week two. Found that it hasn’t been too bad, have been having 20gm of oats for breakfast, 2 ricecakes with small amount of hummus for lunch and then lots of veges with either poached chicken or lentils for dinner. I had a really bad headache at the beginning of the week, but that has eased off now thankfully, probably more due to sugar withdrawal as I am still having black coffee!

Sarelle, if you miss white coffee on a FD, look into almond and coconut milk. I can get two cups of coffee out of 80 mls for only 22 cals. It’s made a big difference to my FDs as I can now go longer without eating and I don’t feel so lethargic. It tastes much better than skimmed milk, etc. I recommend it as a quite acceptable substitute to anyone who finds black coffee unpalatable.

AC, I’m interested in finding out about giving up grains – what does a normal day’s eating look like for you? I’ve more or less stopped eating bread now but think I would find it hard to give up my muesli. I’m talking about feast days now of course.

Thin if you’re a muesli fiend like me and want to avoid grains then this recipe is fab! According to MFP, it comes in at 140 cal for a half cup serve.

https://iquitsugar.com/recipe/coco-nutty-granola/

I add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to mine and leave out the sweetener. I also cook it at 120oC for about an hour and 20 mins stirring every 20 mins coz I like it crunchy. It’s great with blueberries and Greek yoghurt. Enjoy 🙂

Thanks Nads, that sounds tasty. Is it 140 for half a cup after you’ve removed the syrup & added the seeds?

Good point Thin – I just used whatever MFP told me, would probably need to recalculate it for myself to be sure…………..or you could and let me know lol 😉

Very happy camper today, hit 88kg, 5kgs down since starting at Easter, finally made it too the gym today, despite being signed up for two weeks, NZ Post and faulty swipe cards got in the way, might need some Voltaren tonight:-)
    Been enjoying Rude Health date and cinnamon porridge with maple syrup and full fat milk on NFD have a scrambled egg on FD, along with Veg soup for lunch and fish for dinner with steamed veg
    50 days till I go on holiday hope to drop 3 more kg before I go, have been fasting Tue & Thur, Husband has been doing it as well, he has dropped nearly 10kg, he does more exercise than me as he cycles to work.
    Will have to try on some of the “I will fit these clothes” and see if I can get into any of them.

Hi all

I’m another Dunedin resident – have been on 5:2 since the start of February. I have shed 11kgs and inspired 3 co-workers to give it a try. Our 22yo daughter, who still lives at home, is on this journey with me and has lost 12kgs.

Hubby has been very supportive but now is a bit afraid that when we go on our Aussie holiday next month that he will have trouble keeping up with us, but there will be days when he and our son go off and do their own thing while DD and I indulge in some retail therapy. It will be exciting with better bodies to dress!

Hi all
    Wow BBB and Hilary you two are on fire! Metabolism wise of course.
    Good luck at weigh in Intesha- I know it is almost impossible to not focus on certain dates as I was so happy to keep to my 3 kilos a month.
    Thin it is a different journey giving up grains because you don’t count calories as such but of course you have to portion control which is why it works in so well with the 5:2. I need to do both or I don’t lose weight but because I eat more fat on NFD and no grains I am never hungry on NFD but restricted in different ways. I am probably more Neolithic than paleo although I have given up dairy too. I am a believer in eating in a traditional way so Neolithic is when we all settled down a bit and just started farming animals and a minimal amount of agriculture. At the moment I mainly eat meat and loads of vegetables and salad- green smoothies with a bit of coconut cream- everyone else is my family is thin so they eat loads of coconut cream smoothies and almond flour goodies which I modify to include just a little bit of honey. I can’t eat things like that if I want to lose so I will save them all for weekly treats in the future- mind you I did eat a chocolate almond berry muffin last night! No grains and just a tiny bit of sugar.

Just lost my whole post. Grrrr. Thanks for the information AC, very interesting and it really challenges your thinking, doesn’t it? I’ve been hovering between 63.5 and 64.5 for a few weeks and wondering if this IS my weight or whether I could be doing something different to get the last 3-4 kgs off. Maybe I should be happy with the 19/20kgs already lost and consider myself in maintenance now. This would mean 5:2, not a variation thereof as I’d hoped, to allow for occasional indulgences like restaurant meals now and then.

Well done BBB and welcome Hilary4. You guys will need your own Dunedin thread if this carries on, now you have four for coffee. I hope the Perth losers will come out of the woodwork and meet me and CM for coffee. Looking forward to the food report CM….

OK Nads, I will investigate MFP now that you’ve given me some ingredient alternatives. I do love my Carmen’s muesli but I know these commercial products are not always the healthy options they’re purported to be.

Intesha, how did you get on today – any weight loss prizes at your gym?

Thin I have been trying to post my four months results all day but the just won’t go through. I have tried to copy and paste but nothing, so frustrating.

Only list 900grams this month and a few cm’s.

Well done BBB and Hilary, you are amazing and I am so envious, 4 months and I am still struggling to get past 7kgs. If it wasn’t for the loss of cm’s I would probably be giving up about now.

Never give up Intesha, you have achieved much already. A loss is a loss. So, are you under 80kgs now? That’s a good reminder to the newbies to measure everything when they start as many people report a cm loss when the scales don’t go down. I only have my waist to go by and wish I’d measured my thighs because people keep telling me how skinny they look.

Hilary4, where are you going in Oz for your holiday?

Thin my scales said 79.8 this morning, the gym was 81.40. Arms, bust and thighs are all down this month, everything else is the same. BMI is down .32 and Body Fat down by 1.10.

Celebrate Intesha! A lovely way to end the week. (P.S. take the home scales weight!)

Hi Thin – we are heading for 6 nights in Melbourne and 5 in Sydney. This will be the 17yo son’s first time out of NZ, our daughter has been to Sydney when we both went to World Youth Day in 2008 and she went to Brisbane with her high school drama class. Hubby and I went to Melbourne and Hobart with our daughter when she was 2 so this return trip has been a long time coming. I know it is an odd time of the year to come, but it just worked out with all our job commitments and our son isn’t great in the heat, so he should be comfortable on the trip.

I hope you’ll have a lovely family holiday. Our daughter says she’s still happy to go on hols with us anywhere – as long as we’re paying.

Haha! They are good at that. Daughter is paying her own way as she works fulltime – but I haven’t heard any complaints about the situation. She won $1000 on a website recently which was a good boost to her spending money.

That is the odd thing about this diet – the weight goes from unexpected places. I too have had my thighs stolen – and my hips! I am developing a waist that I haven’t seen for years, but there has been only a few cms gone from my bust.

It’s as if things are leaking out from the bottom up!

OMG – I’m a goner! The food is fabulous. I will spare you all the gory details, but not sure my willpower is strong enough to resist! The temptation is continuous throughout the day & evening. Congrats to everyone on their losses…..keep the faith everyone, I’m drawing strength from you all. CM xx

CM – You don’t have to resist – just take a tiny taste of the foods that appeal. Savour those, then go back and repeat the process if you are still genuinely hungry. Enjoy your cruise.

What amazingly sound advice H4. If only I could follow those simple instructions!

CM, you’d better start HIT around the decks. You deserve it, you worked very hard to get where you are so enjoy! Besides, I wanna be lighter than you when you get home. 😆

Congrats to your daughter winning all that $$ H4.

Thin, there’s absolutely no chance I’ll be lighter than you when I get back! Thanks for the advice H4, but there are soooo many “tiny tastes” that it just turns into one BIG taste! Intesha, have you lost weight or cm’s? Then that’s something to celebrate, love. Thin is right (as always) use the scales that say you weigh the least.
    So, I just HAVE to rub this in. Its 5pm & I’m sitting on the top deck of our ship, G&T in hand, just sailing away from Venice on the way to Slovenia. It’s a magically sunny day 24c with gentle breeze. Canapés are being served. Don’t worry, I’ll try to be strong! Don’t know how mobile reception will be from now on, so will check in when I can. CM xx

CharliesMum! There you go again, making us green with envy….sounds like wonderful memories in the making. Immerse yourself in the splendour and scenery, enjoy every second!
    Life is for living and you’ll treasure these moments for the rest of your days.

When you come home you know how to easily regain those measurements once more, with a little help from our tried and tested 5:2! Cheers!

CM,100% behind IHAW’s comments. Life is too short and we don’t know what is around the corner. These are magical moments/memories to look back on, have an absolute ball and soak it all up.

I’ve always found that the first few days eating is the most exciting but then I just get sick of looking at it all (after I’ve stuffed myself with everything in sight !!!!!!!)

H4, I have also lost 11.5cm from my stomach, so have to agree all the loss seems to be from the waist down, isn’t that great?

CM – you had me at G&T! Sounds just wonderful and an experience to be savoured.
    Weighed in this morning and it’s status quo – not too pleased. But at least it isn’t an increase. Fasted on Tuesday and Thursday (usually Monday and Thursday) – but it has been bitterly cold this week and I haven’t been motivated to walk as often.
    I’m trying to head to 68 kgs as my first goal (healthy BMI) and am 1.1 kgs short.

You’ve conjured up a wonderful picture CM. Enjoy every moment. I’d love to see photos of the food when you get back so take plenty.

Don’t worry H4, your body is enjoying all the other benefits of 5:2 and I’m sure you’ll have that excess 1.1kg off in no time.

Hi all
    Oh CM just do whatever you want! The point of all this is that you can lose it when you get home AND you are making thin happy! Yes thin make that is your ideal weight but I plateaued a lot before I gave up grains- not being pushy of course, just personal experience.
    Intesha well done on the cm’s- bottom line you are now smaller and especially around the danger zone- waist.
    Wow H4 you are nearly there! My initial goal is 66 so my BMI would be 23.4.
    Good news for me- new PB of 70.7 so BMI now 25!!! Was 30 on the 1st jan.

That’s a great result AC. My BMI is 25.9 on my scales but quite a bit less on the indicator on this site.

I watched a documentary the other night about a man in the UK whose BMI was 80. I felt sorry for him as he seemed a nice gentle person, but at only 39, he’d let his weight get totally out of control to 297 kgs. After surgery, he did get his life back on track, found a partner and became a happier person with better self-esteem. I think it’s sad if surgery is going to become the accepted modern solution to this epidemic. Special wings in hospitals are built to accommodate morbidly obese patients. I wanted to yell “5 and 2” at the TV. Of course in extreme cases like his, I understand that surgery is the only option to save lives. Food manufacturers have a lot to answer for.

Anyway, luckily for all of us, we know the solution and it’s a FD for me today. Last night, my family wanted to go to Grill’d – places such as that I’ve come to dread, knowing the consequences on the scales. So, I checked the Grill’d website so I could make a considered choice before arrival and was pleased to discover their new low-carb ‘superbun’ which claims to be made from almond meal, coconut cream and free range eggs. It’s gluten, grain and dairy free. I gave it a try and it tasted alright. Doesn’t really do the job of holding the ingredients in place as it’s wafer thin but anyway, it’s a compromise. Family greatly amused and suggested next time, I get the standard bun and just give it to them. Is this the sort of substitute you’d use AC?

Hi Thin

We go to Hogs Breath Cafe and order beef hamburger minus the bun. Tastes very nice. If I want to eat any grains and sugars, I have to remain on 5:2 forever. Not so bad really. 😉

Maintenance on 6:1 only works if I never have grains and sweets. The choice is mine.

Cheers, Bay

Well done AC, that’s a terrific result in a few months. B 🙂

Lost another post due to supposedly not being logged in. Random.

Bay, AC: this is exactly where I see myself now, either I stay on 5:2 and have the odd flutter or I’m on some sort of ‘diet’ forever. 5 and 2 is not a bad choice, I’m in a routine now and welcome it. It’s a small price to pay to look and feel good and have your health as well. We might go off the rails on holiday but so what really? As Dr M. says, I can have what I want MOST of the time. I dipped back into the 63s this morning so that ‘superbun’ must be all it’s cracked up to be.

made a huge huge pot of veg soup so that’s FD lunches taken car of, soupe comes out at around 30 cal per serve……. awesome
    home made pizza for dinner(including the dough) mmmmmmmmmm mozzarella

I love soup, BBB. Hubby is home for the long weekend (he’s working out of town during the week for May and June) and he has made a big pot of pumpkin soup which I am enjoying – he added some coconut milk so it works out at about 70 cals per bowl, but so delicious! I have postponed today’s fast until tomorrow when hubby is away again – lamb roast for tonight’s dinner – really looking forward to that.

AC you are a machine! Fantastic result.

Hi all
    Just lost my post again- I think it is the long ones! I am bragging this morning- I have hit the 60’s- 69.7 with a BMI of 24.7 so in the normal zone!!
    I am usually happy not to be normal but I am thrilled to pieces this morning.
    I love soup too- had choko and zucchini soup yesterday which was lovely.
    Have tried to post all day!

That worked- took out the emojis! Thin Im glad the ‘bun’ worked.
    FD tomorrow- anyone else other than CM who is swanning around Europe! I am enjoying CMs protocol of fasting Monday and Wednesday and kind of getting it over with.

Well done AC. Welcome to the 60s. I’ll be with you tomorrow. Sun & Weds are my FDs.

All gang checking in from Split in Croatia. Beautiful country, 29c brilliant blue skies. About to go for a feed of oysters for lunch. Have probably put on 1-2kg but enjoying ourselves. Have taken your advice so I order whatever I like & only eat a bit of it. Seems to be working….but still hear my dad saying I should clear my plate!! Lobster tonight so won’t be leaving any!! Tomorrow off to Dubrovnik. Sounds like you’re all going well. I’m not even trying to have FDs. Just impossible. Will fix it all when I get home……& actually looking forward to my first Monday FD! Crazy. How’s the challenge going Thin?? Have a great week everyone. CM xx

Not good CM. Hit the 63s again briefly and then, after the FD, went back up to 64.3kgs. Go figure. I’ve stopped worrying. I’ll just wait here for you at 64.3 while you eat lobster and oysters. We’ll sort it out together when you get back. Did we have the same Dad?

Hi Thin

You asked what people do when they no longer eat grains. We had stir fry chicken this evening, that consisted of chicken and vegetables and soy etc. no rice, no noodles. We had poached eggs for breakfast on a bed of rocket and spinach, no bread. Lunch was a tuna salad, with beans, no grains.

Yesterday we had vegetable soup, garnished with parsley and a few slices of shaved Parmesan, no toast or bread.

I now only have grains in my irregular treats!

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Thin,
    I think we all had parents that told us to finish our plates, and that is what has got us to where we were. Now at least we know better, had a really good fast on Monday and managed to remove 1.5kg just have 4.4 to remove to get back where I was before the back injury and weight gain thanks to the drugs I am on. Have learnt that I have to eat much less than my TDEE at present, and am fasting on less than 250 cals at present, thank goodness for veggie soups, home made of course.
    Glad to see that others are doing really well. Spent today removing the remaining size 22 clothes from the wardrobe, it is now looking decidedly empty, but can only afford the basics, most things are either size 18 or 20, never thought I would ever get here, let alone dreaming of size 14.
    Nerves in back still paining down my leg, IHAW, any ideas apart from time and exercising as advised by both the doctor and physio? Enjoy the week folks, Charlie. 🙂

Hi CharlieG, you’re right about that – certainly the root of a lot of my ‘issues’ with food. It sounds like you’re getting back on the road to recovery which is so good to hear. Well done for sticking it out despite the pain. Think how great you’ll feel when you get rid of the size 20s too. You’re doing very well managing on 250 cals. I know I must eat closer to 420 cals on a FD, sometimes I manage it, not always. Soups and broths are great. I also need to get serious about calculating the cals I’m taking in on feast days, I’ve been in denial about this but it must be confronted.

Bay, I’ve pasted your sample menu into a word document to keep handy. Thank you! I’ve been reading quite a lot about grains in the past few days. There’s not much to be said for wheat it seems. I’m still clinging on to oats but have at least moved to steel cut oats as of today. Did anyone watch Dr M’s ‘Should I Eat Meat?’ last night? Hoping OH will cut down on processed meats after seeing that endoscopy with the polyps.

CharlieG, it’s great to hear that things are coming back to normal, and clearing the closet of your larger clothes is a wonderful reward for all of your great work, well done!

As for radiating leg pain from a lower back injury, ONE of the causes can be sciatic nerve pain. If that’s what it is, then you may get some good results from an experienced remedial massage therapist who knows how to do –
    * ‘flossing’ of the nerve using the lower limb tension test,
    * as well as extensive myfascial release for each of your three hamstring muscles,
    * and re-learning better postural and balance habits, in order to avoid stressing the sciatic nerve and gain greater deep core strength to protect your back from further injury.

Apart from following your physio’s advice and exercises, stay warm, keep moving and avoid prolonged periods of sitting. Nerves hate ice, so apply heat to help soothe the pain. Hot baths, hot packs and showers are great tools you can use at home.

And remember to always err on the side of caution, you only get one back! It’s impossible to go to the shop and get a new one. Recovery from a back injury is rather like the 5:2, slow and steady wins the race….channel your ‘wise inner tortoise’.

Hugs for now, your doing way better than you think you are!

Hi all
    Good work Charlie G under adverse conditions- it is a brave move with a serious commitment to the future when you get rid of clothes- my daughters and I are going to get a stall at a market to sell our unwanted goods then will stop at a charity shop on the way home.
    Bay and thin my day of eating yesterday looked similar. Scrambled eggs and salad for breakfast. Salmon patties- made with some kafir lime leaves- on a huge green salad with an awesome green tahini sauce. Dinner I keep small for me but basically some roasted beef and veges. I have been saying to my family that rather than saying. We are low carb the reality is that we eat our carbs as vegetables, salads and a little fruit! I have hundreds of research papers I could site for why fat and protein is healthy but gosh it seems to be very value laden and a very hot topic!!
    We all agree that the 5:2 definitely works!

Good Morning All,
    no grains for me either. Well, intolerant to all grains except corn and a small amount of rice, although I do give in sometimes and put up with the consequences. For me that’s mostly inflammation in joints, but a couple of other things as well. All tried and tested with a dietician over many months of controlled elimination testing. However, on 5:2, if I do give in and eat grains or even gluten free starchy carbs, the weight doesn’t come off. Same calories but no starchy carbs and the weight comes off. Some of us on 5:2 can eat grains and starchy carbs and the weight comes off but there’s definitely a group of us who have to eliminate them.

Normal day: breakfast is boiled egg, orange, cup of weak Earl Grey tea or peppermint tea; lunch is salad with leaves, tomatoe, cucumber, avocado, grated carrot, maybe small amount baby beets, nuts, feta cheese, or soup with low GI veggies, chicken or lentils,; dinner is chicken, fish, pork with low GI veggies, fruit eg rockmelon, apple, pear. Other things in my diet, other cheese, raw almonds, walnuts, maccas, dry roasted peanuts, plain yoghurt, canned fruit in juice, dried apricots, prunes, other seafood.

Good thing is 5:2 is a way I can get my weight off!!! Oh that is sooooo goooood!! 169 cm/5’6″ and aiming for 62 kgs. Started at 83 kgs and halfway there. Currently stuffing around and going up and down within a kilo. FD tomorrow. Weird how we can look forward to it. Would never have thought that would happen!

What about you IHAW, how are you doing today?

AC and Merry, good morning, thanks for sharing your grain-free menus also.

Agree Merry, I welcome the FDs now. I like the structure. Today is one. I have two hurdles to get over this week, Nepalese dinner out with friends on Friday night followed by a buffet breakfast on Saturday morning. I’m already looking ahead to Sunday’s FD. Your 5:2 journey is similar to mine. I’m 59, 5’6″, started at 83kgs, aiming to get another 2/3kgs off but firmly hovering between 63.5 & 64.5kgs. OH is set in his ways and not receptive to making changes that could possibly improve his health. Among other things, he suffers from allergies and I wouldn’t be surprised if cutting down on grains helped alleviate that. He’s always been very slim and sees this as a ticket to eating anything he wants. It would be so much easier to make the journey together but I am grateful that he at least does 6:1. Fortunately, I have you guys to chat with and together we prove that it is possible for old dogs to learn new tricks. 😆 (Not you MK88, you’re a puppy!)

Hi merry and thin. Me too! I’m 52 5’6 and on news year day weighed in at 86- set goal as 66 but ………. Now 69.7 and maybe a bit less tomorrow. Has anyone else had trouble with resistant stomach fat- I still have 4-6 to go but my tummy is disproportionate. Even after all my interval training! Early days for all the health benefits I’m sure.
    Has Dr M proven that we get the health benefits even when doing 6:1??

PS. Whilst fasting today I have made a double layered chocolate almond cake and moussaka- all grain free- for my daughters birthday.
    This is where I’m a bit obsessive/scared. I am sticking to my fast day as psychologically it’s not good for me to change the day- my mantra is- it’s only food- so I can enjoy event without eating- made myself something that looks a bit similar- I would of course change this if someone took me to Europe for 3 weeks!

Hi Thin and AC,
    I’m the oldest in the 5’6″ goodbye 80’s hello 60’s club, but 64’s young these days,well youngish. Do you look at photos of your grandparents at the same age and remember how we thought they were so old? My beloved grandma had a blue tight curly perm and nylon floral Osti? dresses, you know the ones.

So good to hear you are both in the 60 kgs now. I will use you both for inspiration! I started mid November, and was 73 and a bit kgs by the end of March, before we went to NZ and since then have been mucking around between 73 ish and 74 ish . Up down up down up down. Blaming it on not being home a lot in May, catching up with family and friends. Always harder to keep off the wheat and grains when I’m doing that, even though I get through most fast days fine. Unpacking the suitcase for
    the last time for a while today. Went to Vivid Sydney with family for a few days, and froze on Monday night, laid on the road checking out David attenboroughs clips of wildlife, with narration, on the roof of a road tunnel in The Rocks, had a photo with a Star Wars stormtrooper( probably a member of the 59 th Legion or whatever that’s called) laughed and cheered at the cartoons on the Customs House, watched the laser water foutains at Darling Harbour, oohed and aahed athe graphics on the Contemporary Art building and the Opera House, and finally carked it in the Gallery at the State Library where the International and State Press awards photos are on display. DH checked out the exhibition while I laid down on a seat, then later slowly found the cafe to have hot chocolate and a chocolate bar. Chocolate is the best thing for someone with ME/CFS when they’ve overdone it and come down with a crash and they have to still go a little way.

Anyhoo looking forward to the 60’s!

Viewing 50 posts - 5,101 through 5,150 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.