Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,869 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 22 hours, 53 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,051 through 5,100 (of 27,973 total)

• Hi all
    FD today! Also have a cold but I had an idea that not overloading your body with food helped your immune system anyway.
    EA I didn’t get headaches but had really bad fatigue- this is what used to happen to me on a low carb diet- a blessing of doing 5:2 all year so far is that now my body has adjusted to burn fat rather than glucose all the time- which is great.
    Hi Transcend- sad about friends but great job on re-committing. 4:3 is challenging. CM and I discussed doing mon and wed then being very careful on Fridays. I have done 4:3 and if needs be will do it again.

Morning all – Day 6 and second FD for me today, it’s only 9.50am but I’m feeling very optimistic. It is really freezing here at the moment and fasting makes me feel even colder, so I am sitting at work wearing my scarf, gloves and have a wheatie on my lap trying to stay warm, it was 2oC when I left home this morning! Needless to say I would rather have stayed at home in front of my fire. We were forecast snow, but instead just had a horrible sleety storm which washed all the snow away, so it’s just extremely cold with none of the fun stuff! I had been really good last week until yesterday and then had a massive blowout which was reflected on the scale this morning…….oops, still 200g down from my start weight, but I don’t really want to be going back over that in my first week! But back on track with a FD today ๐Ÿ™‚ I have also discovered that 2 colleagues are doing 5:2 as well, so that’s motivating, unfortunately we all chose different days to fast lol. Have a great day all – especially those who are also fasting today ๐Ÿ˜€

Yay! I think I’ve finally come out of my nearly 10 week plateau and have hit the 73kg mark (that’s 15kg lost in nearly 9 months..a true test of patience)..went on holiday for a week and put on a kilo then determined to loose that and more…my BMI is still just outside the ‘normal’ but heading the right way…true Nads..the cold is another test, just makes me want to roll up in bed with hot chocolate and biccys!

HIA that’s some great news to start our week. Well done. What’s your goal weight?

Nads, you made me feel cold just reading your post. It’s nice to have the support from co-workers, maybe they’ll switch days. I think ‘blowouts’ are inevitable and, as you say, you’re back on track today. We have many years of bad habits to undo and that all takes times for our bodies to adjust.

AC, sorry you’re not feeling well – I think fasting might be the cure to the common cold! I feel so much better today, after only two days of a very heavy cold and a FD yesterday. I also became very tired when I first started fasting, I used to be in bed by 8.30-9pm but I’d have a really good sleep and felt really rested in the morning. These days, it doesn’t seem to affect me like that.

Hi nads and hoot- where do you live- it’s about 12 deg here and I thought it was cold!! Good loss hoot- did you plateau even while fasting 2 days and being fairly careful on other days? I am also just outside of normal BMI- on 25.5 and seem to be having difficulty dropping the last kilo that would be keeping me on a steady loss of 3 kilos per month- 14.3 kgs for me this year.
    I am going for some wintry chicken and vegetable soup for lunch and dinner.

Hi thin- we must have been writing at the same time. Good to hear you are already well. When I saw the cardiologist he told me that everyone trying to lose weight in Noosa is doing the 5:2 and my daughter recently started working with a Noosa company and she said half the women at work are doing it too so there are a lot of us!

Morning AC, I was happy to discover a lady in our street started the same time as I did, she’s a doctor and her husband, also a doc is doing it too. Now, whenever we pop in to each other’s houses, it’s a herbal tea on offer. I’ve introduced 13 people to 5:2 myself. I think everyone should be doing it!

Hi thin – I am in Dunedin which is in the South Island (closer to the bottom than the top!) and it’s currently 4oC – so it’s gone up 2 since I left home – whoop de doo ๐Ÿ˜‰ I popped out to the local sushi shop and grabbed a miso soup for lunch, just had to have something hot to keep me going! Thinking I might have to whip up a spicy chicken stir fry for tea tonight to warm me up instead of the steak and salad I was planning on having!! Bit gutted that I didn’t get to do my lunchtime walk, but just not brave enough today.

Thanks CM and Thin. Experiencing my third fasting day today and a little bit more hungry than the other two but I think it is because I didn’t eat much yesterday! What can I say, freshly squeezed lemon in hot water is my new best friend! All the best to everyone fasting today. I’m off to tackle the mountain of ironing to keep me busy.

Hi everyone, AC, I think the saying is starve a cold feed a fever? I am so envious of people who drop the weight so quickly. I know it’s a metabolism thing and it’s probably not as easy as it sounds but when you start off well you just keep expecting it to continue.

Wow Hoot what a great weight loss, I hope I can get close to that but those plateaus really do your head in.

Thin you should be on commission, all these converts.

Hi AC and Intesha (I think!) .. I started upon go my running around the same time I plateaued so I’m thinking that had something to do with it .. I have put on some muscle which isn’t a bad thing but there’s something about the numbers on that scale! I had been doing ADF after the initial few months which seems to suit me…and, as my tdee has gone down, I probably hadn’t been as vigilant at allocating a quarter of that on fast days .. I want to get down to 68kgs from 88kgs .. If it takes me a year, I’ll be happy

Oh.. And I’m in the south east suburbs of Melbourne and it’s those minimum of 7 degree mornings I dislike !

Hi AnneC, thanks for the reminder that it’s you with the son with CFS. ๐Ÿ™‚ It is a challenge to remember who’se doing what on the forum. as you no doubt will understand. Sending you and your son soft hugs, ((( ))).

That’s great HIA if you can do that in a year. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, does it? I’ve become used to plateaus as being part of the body’s adjustment process. We’ve even had overnight lows of 9C in Perth this week. I’ve been delaying my walks until late morning and the sun feels so good after the cold starts. I know, I won’t get much sympathy from you Nads! The coldest I’ve ever been was the 6 months I spent in Queenstown one winter.

I hope you made it through the day EA and you’ve been well rewarded on the scales. Have a great day everyone.

Hi all
    Hope you all had a good day- hoot, ADF takes serious commitment!
    Thanks Merry- like everything need to move ahead one step at a time.
    FD for me tomorrow.

You girls are brave doing ADFs. I’ve tried it only when swapping a FD around and found I barely had time to eat before it was another fast day – or is that the whole point?!

Hey everybody, I haven’t gone back and read the posts I’ve missed out on but just wanted to post a quick hello and hope you’re all well and happily getting lighter! We moved in to our new house over the weekend, we got the keys on Thursday night and were really dissappointed to see the house was not left clean for us. I took Firday afternoon off work and together with my mother in law and father in law, we scrubbed the place clean and were able to still move our stuff in on Saturday as scheduled. I told the agent and she apologised and I have suggested we add a clause to our contract, releasing us from any responsibilty to leave the house clean when we vacate. So all is well now but it was a stressful and tiring weekend of packing and cleaning and cleaning and unpacking! The new house is lovely though, I think we’ll be very happy there ๐Ÿ™‚ Missed you all, I will hopefully get some time this week to read through all your posts and catch up on the goss!
    MK88 xo

I can fully sympathise with you, MK. When we moved houses in Christchurch many years ago, big effort to get the place we were leaving clean, only to find the one we were moving into filthy. No only dirt everywhere, quite a number of cracked windows, airgun bullet holes in the bedroom windows, and the seller had the audacity to apologise for not sweeping the garage out! And her husband was the manager of an insurance branch. ๐Ÿ™ I was just about in tears.

I hope your new place is everything you could wish.

xx B

Bedroom walls, not windows. Although probably that too.

Oh Barata that is awful, what a nightmare when you think you’ve bought this lovely home. It’s terrible really, how on earth do people think that is ok? In my case, we have moved into a unit that was previously used a long stay accom. Therefore there were no previous ‘tennants’ as such but just people who would stay for a few weeks as a beachside escape I guess. Our landlord is a really scruffy old guy of about 60-65 and I knew the minute I met him, he wouldn’t have the foggiest about how to clean a house! He probably thought it was ‘good enough’. Never mind, the dead bugs are out of the kicthen cupboards and the mould is out of the shower now! Where are my ladies that can teach me how to make a moving vomiting face?? haha! I got through the goss a lot faster than I had expected to as half of the posts were tips on how to make faces on this forum! I love that we are a bunch of whackos ๐Ÿ˜‰ certainly learnt something new ๐Ÿ˜€
    CM, I know I am way late but I hope you have an amazing time- I was traveling the Dalmation Coast a few months ago and it is now one of my favourite places ever. Enjoy! And EA, I got horrible headaches for about a month on my FD’s, it is normal, drink lots of water, take pain killers and don’t be put off- they do go away! FD for me yesterday went very well, quite easy as I was busy! another tomorrow but it’s going to be a relaxed one as we are having a family dinner while the in laws are here from NZ so I will be eating next to nothing through the day and only picking the healthy bit’s out of the roast my brother in law is making!
    MK88

hey Thin, I definitely find I have time to eat on my non-fast days lol but as you know , your choices are better and small amounts of ‘treats’ usually suffice.. I was so impatient at first as I wanted to be my goal weight NOW but hmm I guess I’ll take the 12 months .. Don’t know how I’d go if another plateau comes along though .. I think my body has finally adjusted and accepted that this is here to stay.. I still occasionally get caught not drinking enough water (headaches reappear and I have to be vigilant in colder weather to still have my 800 ml on waking.. Helps a heap)

Hi all,
    Just wanted to introduce myself as this is week 2 for me on the 5:2 and at the end of my first FD for this week. I am in Dunedin too, so has definitely been cold here! I want to loose just over 30kg and lost 2.5kg in the first week so is going well so far. I haven’t found the FD’s too bad, discovered that lentils are low calorie and filling!

Cheers!

Welcome Sarelle, thanks for sharing your story with us and well done with the first successful week behind you. You’re on your way! There are lots of people from the land of the long white cloud contributing to this thread so you’ll feel right at home.

Good to hear from you MK88. Glad the move went OK, with the exception of the cleaning problem. Same when we moved in here – disgusting, grimy kitchen and, although it had been empty for months, they wouldn’t allow us access to come and clean until the settlement actually went through (4pm on a Friday) which would have meant we couldn’t move until the following week. We got around that by telling them we wanted to use a specific carpet cleaning service. They were happy to entrust him with the keys evidently. Anyway, carpet man was a good friend of ours so, while he did the carpets, we scrubbed the kitchen!

Just had the courgetti for dinner tonight, it’s not a FD but thought I may as well make some changes for the better on feast days too. If pasta is 200 cals per cup as myfitnesspal says, using zucchini must be a huge calorie saving.

HIA, I think I should drink more in the morning too – usually just reach for the coffee.

Hi everyone,
    Thought it best to jump right on and introduce myself.
    I’m 38 from Brisbane and am really excited about this program. I have battled with my weight all my life and am currently sitting around 20-25 Kilos heavier than I should be. I completed my first FD today and made it through quite well. I know it will probably take me a good year to get to where I need to be. But I really like the added health benefits this program brings as well as the weight loss. Good luck everyone!!

Welcome to you too Padendorff. Look forward to hearing how you’re getting on. Lots of people on here have been doing 5:2 for some time with great results so please ask if you have any questions.

๐Ÿ˜†

Welcome to all the newbies. We are certainly getting more and more followers and lots more stories to tell. Makes for very interesting reading and great tips too.

FD yesterday, I’m managing them quite well now after nearly 4 months. Still can’t shake that 80kg, was 80 yesterday morning and now 80.4 how does that work?

MK sorry to hear about the house dramas. Doesn’t it make you wonder about people. I had the same when I moved into my rental property. There were Asian people living here previously and obviously did a lot of frying, everything was greasy and sticky and 16years later I still have patches appearing. Why do we worry so much about what other people think when they obviously don’t care. I wish I could take that attitude at times, it would make life less stressful.

So just thought I would check in to share my first weekโ€™s result: 1.5kgs down, 12.5 to go โ€“ Iโ€™ve been weighing daily but only going to record it weekly and on a Wednesday (I think I said Thursday previously, but it makes sense to do it on a Wednesday since I started this on a Wednesday ) So I am rapt with that result, for those that donโ€™t work in kgs, thatโ€™s 3.3lbs off. That is definitely motivation to carry on this way and to be honest, it has been pretty easy, donโ€™t feel like Iโ€™m on a โ€˜dietโ€™ at all! I need to step up the exercise as Iโ€™ve only been walking a couple of times this week due to it being sooooo cold!!! First FD of week 2 for me today and I am like the fact that I donโ€™t have to think about food at all as my day is planned, will probably have a miso soup for lunch and then steak and broccoli with a bit of butter is on the menu for dinner tonight. Have a great day everyone ๐Ÿ˜€

Well done Nads. Really it’s not a diet is it, it’s a whole new WOL. I’m grumbling because I lost 7kg very easily in the first couple of months but now struggling the past month to get lower. It’s those damn plateaus that most of us go through that become very frustrating. Still the other benefits are worth it. I now see a trimmer figure and actually have some shape so it can only get better.

Good morning everyone. Hello MK88, I hope you are settled in your new home now. Thanks for the feedback. You did very well persevering whilst getting headaches for a month. My head was thumping by the time I went to bed on Monday and bothers me more than hunger! Even on my feasting days it still hangs around a bit and makes my brain feel foggy (I usually only get one headache a month so am a bit of a wuss). I was going to fast again today but have decided not to do another one this week as flying to Sydney for a big weekend on Friday and want to be well. Back to it next Monday and hope the head survives lol.

I save all my calories for one evening meal. Perhaps I should try to spread them out to see if that helps but I am worried that if I start eating, I will be more hungry during the rest of the day!! I guess it is all trial and error so it is great to be a part of this forum to read other peoples experiences. All the best for the rest of the week everyone.

Hey Sarelle – nice to have someone else from Dunners on here, sounds like you had a great first week, good stuff! Start of week 2 for me today with a FD. I am missing my lunchtime walks, but it has just been too cold this week! Doing another FD on Friday cos it’s my birthday on Monday and we are heading to Stewart Island for the long weekend so want to be able to eat and have a couple of drinks on my birthday ๐Ÿ˜€

Lost the plot completely today. Snacked all day, knew what I was doing but did it anyway.

Oh well won’t be the last time it will happen on this journey.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi Intesha,
    That happens from time to time, so don’t beat yourself up about it. That’s why this is not a diet but a way of life, and we should all just take it one day at a time. This back injury is doing my head in, I can’t get on my exercise bike, and so I am learning that I need to reduce my intake even more, and we have just had three cold miserable cloudy days, I would so love to see some sun, but the forecast is cold, wet and windy, not the ideal weather for fasting, but it’s thursday, so that’s where I will be.
    Have a good one for those that are also fasting, Charlie.

Buono sera, everyone. A quick check in from Venice, before heading out to dinner. Having great time & missing you all. Keeping up to date with everyone. Welcome to our newbies – good luck, this thing that we are all doing, is sooooo amazing & I’m missing our WOL while I’m away. Trying to be as good as possible!!! Boarding the ship tomorrow for our cruise, so will then have some scales to monitor myself by – flying blind at the moment! Food is amazing, weather is great, people are lovely. Just enjoying a glass of Chianti……luv yous all. CM xxxxoooxxx

Grrrr! Charliesmum I really don’t think it’s nice to rub your gloriously sunny holiday I our faces, you lucky lucky woman! I’m sure, like me we all wish we were there with you swanning about soaking up the warmth and general yumminess.

CharlieG, sounds annoying not being able to exercise as you’d normally do, main thing is to stick to the exercises the physio has given you, which won’t necessarily break a sweat, but will aid your recovery.

Hi to all the new fasting people, what got you all started? Was the 5:2 shown recently In the kiwi media? Or has it been circulating for some time, and you’d thought you would jump in and try it out?

I’m sticking to soup today, as yesterday I had a lot of bread. It’s my kryptonite!
    Happy fasting Thursday people, keep warm!

Hi IHAW, I think it’s been circulating for some time, there’s been talk of it off and on over the last 18 months at work, but I was inspired again after I was cleaning out my bookshelf and found the book so read it properly this time and thought I’d get started properly this time ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi all, I’m joining you in fasting today as I swapped with yesterday. CM, I had a little cruise of my own yesterday – down the Swan River, where we were treated to a fabulous display of various behaviours by six dolphins which was right on cue as it was a trip to thank River Guardians for their volunteer work. Anyway, I was confronted by a smorgasbord of morning tea treats which confirmed my thoughts that I would not fare well on a ‘real’ cruise. I didn’t go completely overboard (excuse the pun) but still I’m happy that today’s a FD. So, the cruise ship provides all the food you can eat plus a set of scales? Lovely to hear from you and have a great voyage.

EA, if you can keep on with your current strategy, I believe you’re doing the right thing. This increases your fasting window which should afford greater access to the other health benefits of fasting. Many of us, including myself, haven’t been able to achieve this, especially not initially. I can usually go until about 2pm now but started off with 30gm low GI oats in the morning which kept me full for hours. Many have talked about awakening the ‘hunger dragon’ and find it best to hold off as long as possible.

IHAW, like you, we have two soups on the menu for today.

Hello all!

I have been following all of these posts and they’re all very inspirational. Congrats to everyone!

I’m finally in my 5:2 groove and actually look foward to fast days now. I remember you guys all saying that you looked foward to fast days and I thought you were crazy! But now I get it. Not sure I have lost too much weight yet (maybe 2kgs? – need to buy more batteries for my scales) but I feel so much healthier and happier. I have a LOT to lose, like 30kgs, but I can totally see this as a WOL now.
    I also see we have some Dunedin people on the forum! Fantastic! I too am in Dunedin. Small wee world isn’t it. Happy to catch up over coffee some day ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m doing my second FD of the week today so my eyes will be glued to this forum. Nothing like reading these posts to keep my hunger at bay.

Til next time.

Welcome back JGF, it’s been a long time since you last posted (a bit like the confessional). Try setting yourself smaller goals, you could perhaps aim for 10kgs to start with. Have you being sticking to 5:2 since you posted in February?

I really encourage you Dunedin losers to consider meeting for coffee. I thought it was odd at first going from being an anonymous poster on a thread to meeting someone in person but I’m so glad I took up CM’s invitation to meet.

Look after yourself CharlieG, you’ll get there with your determination.

I got over my cold quickly, I’m sure that was down to fasting, ๐Ÿ˜† but unfortunately, OH now has it and, of course, it’s much worse than what I had so we have to endure all the groans and moans, sniffing, blowing and general feeling sorry for himself (it’s the man flu).

MK88, hope all’s going well in your busy week, I thought of you this morning when I was sipping my almond & coconut milk coffee. Just waiting for it to warm up a bit before going for the walk and then I’ll start making our soups for the day.

Hi thinatlast

I am setting myself small goals. I started at 86.5kg so I am aiming to get to 80kgs by end of July. I am slow loser, so I think it’s reasonable.
    I didn’t stick to 5:2 very well at the beginning. I would change fast days, or give in at the end of the day and eventually the week ran out and I hadn’t completed two good fast days. I have been experimenting with 4:3, back to back fasts etc and can manage them now, but I think it’s best for me to stick with two regimented days. I like Mondays and Thursdays but can still alter one of them now without a problem.

I think overall I have been doing 5:2 properly for around 4 weeks.

I am keen to meet up for coffee with other Dunedin people. Let me know who else is keen. Sounds like we all started around similar times so it might be nice to put faces to names and chat about how it’s all going.

JGF, yes it’s great that there’s so much flexibility built in to this. I’m going to hit the herbal tea stash now as I feel hungry and it’s not even 11am.

Hey JGF, def keen to meet up for a coffee and a chat with some like-minded people ๐Ÿ˜€ lets get through the long weekend (I’m off to freeze my butt off on Stewart Island for the weekend) and then catch up with a plan after that ๐Ÿ˜€

Sounds great Nads77! Enjoy the long weekend.

Enjoy your birthday on Stewart Island Nads!

Thank Thin and JGF ๐Ÿ˜€ Going to have a challenge tomorrow as I will be fasting but off work packing food and stuff for the weekend. So far on the 3 fasts I have done I haven’t had to rely on willpower too much as have been busy and distracted from being hungry at work, but might have to dig deep for some tomorrow, with a bit of temptation, although have heaps to do which will keep me busy! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Hi all and welcome to all newbies as well as hi to ‘oldies’ that I haven’t met yet. Haven’t read all posts but to all those just starting, we are all proof that it works and the support from this forum is part of the success strategy.
    Well I am happy- new PB of 71 kgs so 15 kgs down only 5 to go! Keeping on track with 3kg loss each month for 5 months-YAY!!!!!!!!
    Thin I’ll meet you in the 60’s yet.

Hi Thin, thanks for the wise words. I really hope the headaches pass soon because the hunger is not really bothering me. Back on it on Monday after my weekend away so fingers crossed. It is a public holiday on Monday in WA so I will have all the family home – that will be interesting come lunch time lol.

Well done to all those losing weight and thank you for sharing your success with us. It is a real encouragement.

All the best to those who are fasting today.

Morning all. Everyone sounds so positive & you’re all going so well. EA – you’ll wake up one morning soon without a headache. It will be like a fog lifting & you’ll feel amazing. I know it’s a pain (pun intended) but it will pass. Just your body getting rid of toxins & starting to burn fat. Sounds like Dunedin is the 5:2 hub at the moment. Hope you guys do meet up for coffee. As Thin says – it’s a strange to start with (a bit like a blind date!!) but I’m really glad we did it too. Like minds getting together, a bit more support for us all & putting faces to names. All good stuff. Hey MK, How’s things going? Yay on your PB, AC! Don’t worry Intesha it happens to us all. Have a wonderful week. CM xx

Hi CM – how’s that cabin? Checked out the dining room(s) yet? What’s for lunch? Dinner? I hope you’re having a great time sipping brandy on your balcony. Thanks for checking in, it’s fun hearing from you.

Well done AC, that’s brilliant. Of course you’ll be with me in the 60s in no time. (I’m going nowhere apparently so come on down).

How’re you going today Intesha?

EA, another thing you might check into regarding the headaches is what you’re eating the day before the FD. Could you be suffering from sugar or caffeine withdrawal? (sorry if this has already been said, especially if I’m the one who said it).

Hi Thin. Boarding the ship in about 3 hours. Will let you know about the cramped cabin & lousy food! CM XX

Viewing 50 posts - 5,051 through 5,100 (of 27,973 total)

You must be logged in to reply.