First week 5:2 feeling great!!! Join me in this journey!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
First week 5:2 feeling great!!! Join me in this journey!!

This topic contains 90 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Ahmedmilton 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 91 total)

• Hi I’m Steph, 31 female from Australia, hoping to lose 20 kg, just starting 5:2 this week its my second day fasting tomorrow, already lost 2kg which is great, how is everyone going???

Hi Steph, I’m Kerry, also from Australia….I’m 51 and planning to lose 23kg, I started yesterday with my first fast, and am fasting again tomorrow as well…..I lost 1.8 since I started on Tuesday, but expect that to level out during the week….so far I’ve found it really good….well done on your weight loss!

Hi there Steph and Kerry, I’m Sarah another Aussie ready to give this a go, will probably get organised tomorrow and start on the weekend.

Hey girls thanks so much for your support. I had my second fast day today down another half kilo it was easier today only two hunger pangs only had like 160 calories how are you guys going today?

Hi Sarah 🙂 Good luck with your first fast on the weekend!

I’ve been a bit hungry today Steph. I love my breakfast, but decided not to eat until 11am….when I had a poached egg on spinach and steamed potato….205 cals was delicious! I’m going to use about 450 cals all up today. I’m having a salad with low fat feta tonight…..I find I have to have some protein. I am a gardener and need something in my tummy otherwise I get nauseous. My weight went up 400grams this morning, but have still lost 1.4 since Tuesday so feeling good and motivated 🙂

Yep good luck Sarah, let us know how it all goes 🙂
    I know what you mean foxycoxy, I always have protein with what I eat on fast days and on normal days otherwise I never feel full enough and have enough energy, although today I only had two bananas, 250ml of almond milk and a really small serving of nacho’s with the children at work, I work in child care so its hard to not sit with the kids and eat lunch with them LOL but I only had like a handful of the chips so I worked out I had around 350 calories all up, so yeah feeling pretty good and will weigh in again tomorrow morning and let you girls know how I go, keep me updated on both your progress! By the way I am from Melbourne, very cold tonight, where are you girls from??

Can a Canadian join in – not as cool as you guys from Australia but close 🙂 I’m still pretty new to this but noticed it is getting easier the longer I do it. Some days however are hard..yesterday I was pretty hungry all day but I made it! I do have a problem controlling my non-fast days. I realize it’s getting out of control so I need to reel it back in. Weight loss has been stalled because of it but luckily no gain though! I’m 49 and will be 50 early next year so I don’t have time to play around with this! I want to hit my goal weight by my birthday! I would like to be down 7 or 8 kgs! Hope you all had a good day (I think I’m a day behind you!!)

Of course you can newme….the more the merrier! Oh so the big one next year eh? I’m sure you will be a Fabulous Fifty by then 🙂 I found I was starving after breakfast yesterday on my non-fast day….was hard to control, but I settled down…..my biggest problem is I’m thinking about food 24/7!

Steph, it is hard to control eating when you are around little kids….I’m a bit like that when I have my little grandaughter, she’s four..I am in Albany WA….cold here too, mainly at night….we have our fire going until November in the evenings……I was born in Melbourne! 🙂

Hi everyone, hoping to join in with you here.

I’m from SA and commenced this on Tuesday with a fast day and my next fast day is tomorrow (Sat). I’ve got a heap (more than 30kg) to remove so will be plugging away for a while. Hoping to lose around 10kg by Christmas (note I don’t say which year, lol). I’m in my 50’s and have 4 grandies who I adore and I want to be around for them for a very long time so looking also at the health benefits long term.

Hi guys, I’m from Melbourne too and today is my first day on the 5:2 way of life and I’m nervous! I’m a person who gets nauseous if I’m hungry and don’t eat so I’m a bit worried. I’m planning a breakfast of 2 egg whites, chopped tomato onion and baby spinach scrambled. I’m working that out to be about 125 calories, does that sound right to you all? Also, the book mentioned low cal soup, has anyone here had any and could recommend a brand/flavour that they found filled them till dinner? Thx 🙂

Hi Nik39, I use the MyFitnessPal site (there’s also an app for the phone) to work out calories per item/serve/food … my OH also thought he would “get the shakes” if not eating but he completed his first FD yesterday and didn’t have a problem at all. Each person though has their own individual needs. Love the sound of your brekkie btw 🙂 … re soups, clear soups seem to have least cals from what I’ve seen … as I don’t generally buy packets I’m not best able to help you with that question, again if buying a packet soup check the panel on the back which should help you 🙂 … hope this helps 🙂

Thx Aussie Oma, I am about to eat my brekky now, does smell good 🙂 I will go shopping today to find the snack with the least calories to ensure I can have something guilt free if I need to 🙂 I need to lose 15 kg so if I even see a drop of 1 kilo after this week I’ll be hooked! Nothing seems to move my weight so if this works for me I’ll be hooked 🙂

Wow! My fitness pal app is awesome! The brekky I just thought was 120 calories turned out to be 80! Yay! 🙂

Glad I could point you in the right direction re the MFP app. I know it sounds weird but drinking lots of water, slowly, helps to keep hunger at bay and is also needed to help flush toxins out of your body … I’m currently drinking anywhere between 8 and 10 glasses of water per day (large 8oz ones). I find if I drink two first thing before anything else I don’t need to eat for ages and in fact don’t even feel hungry and then before eating anything I’ll drink another glass of water, again slowly, wait for 5 or 10 mins and then if I still feel hungry I’ll eat. Remember this is what I do and this may not be right for you 🙂

Hi Nik and welcome:

The average weight loss on 5:2 is about a pound a week. 2.2 pounds would be exceptional (or water weight).

Here is some information that might answer most of your questions: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi everyone. My name is Lurinda and I’m originally from South Africa but became an Australian citizen early 2013. My husband and I have both started the 5:2 this week and I have already lost a massive 2.1kg and hubby around 3kg. I am more than thrilled about the results so far and the fact that I do it with my hubs makes it much easier ’cause we have to support one another. We both have about 23-25kg to lose to get to our goal weight. Abouth a dozen people at my workplace is on this diet and the one guy has been on it for more than a year now and it has become a way of life. He is fit and healthy and skinny and is a great example of what the diet can do for you. I have downloaded the Australian Calorie Counter – Easy Diary and it has helped us to keep track of what we put in our mouth. You tend to eat more when you don’t know how much calories are in a dish or drink. Although the app is quite extensive, it also allows you to add the nutritional information of products that are not on the list. Happy dieting everyone!

Fantastic LHeymans well done :-), are you doing your days consecutive or a break in between days? Ive chosen friday and monday for my days as I feel trying to do 2 consecutive would be too hard to maintain.

My fasting days are on Mondays and Wednesdays although I’m thinking of changing the Wednesday to a Thursday just so it is more spaced out over the week. Will see what the scales says on Monday morning and make a decision then. I’m curious to see if and how much I might pick up in a four day normal calorie intake.

Morning everyone, i’m another Aussie wanting to jump on board this forum….My youngest of three children is about to turn 2 and i think it’s about time i fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans!! I have struggled to find motivation to exercise this winter and with all the yummy foods that go hand in hand with the cold weather, well i have set myself up to fail every single diet that has entered my head. I am determined to make this work. Looking to lose about 10kgs before a family holiday at Christmas (and this will bring me back to pre-baby weight). Starting my first fasting day today…all encouragement and advice is welcome.

Hi MrsJW today is my first day too so I dont have any advice to give yet but well done for starting! Carbs are my downfall but Im sick of feeling like crap with this extra weight from quitting smoking 9 months ago. Time to stop being slack and pull my finger out 🙂

Hey guy’s weighed in this morning down another half kilo! Yay! I am so excited, I am guessing this 3kg loss this week is water weight, I hope some was fat loss, my clothes are already lose, sleeping better and cravings for junk food are disappearing, I only had 400 calories all up yesterday, struggled a little around lunch time, but got through, I am amazed how quick this is working, the last time I lose 3kg it took me literally a month of strenuous cardio training, weight training and very low calories, I havent done any exercise this time just the two fast days and it’s gone! Woohoo!! How is everyone going??

Hi Tomorrow is my first day can I lose half a stone on this diet in two weeks ?

Thats awesome Steph! Water or fat who cares, you see a difference and the enthusiasm that brings is huge! Well done. From what Ive read Jibri its about 1kg per fortnight unless its water weight then can be more. Having said that tho everyones different. The quicker you start tho the quicker you’ll see results 🙂

Hi Steph, Lurinda, Nik, Mrs JW et al. Well done Steph that’s an awesome result, just hoping mine will be half as good next Tues on my weigh day (I’m trying to NOT check daily as this can be disappointing for me).

On my first FD (fast day) which was last Tues I only drank water or coffee (black unsweetened) until lunchtime, then had a very light lunch (1 egg and 1 slice wholemeal bread) and dinner at night (homemade soup made pre-5:2 but still low in calories but full of goodness … and water). I found this was best for me … others like to have 2 v small meals for brekkie and lunch followed by a slightly larger meal at night. I know if I eat brekkie I’m searching for food all day as I’m ultra hungry and this is regardless of FD or not so I’m one of the 2 meals/day variety just changing what I eat and the amount.

There’s a heap of great tips and suggestions throughout all the forum topics so what I did was look at some that I thought I might find interesting and found lots of insightful information in them. I’ve “joined” a couple of them, this one included, to connect with others going through the journey at a similar commencement time or amount to lose as myself. Some of us are older or younger and age does make a difference in how we lose weight/size. Myself the tape measure has been a better friend in the past than scales but I use them both now 🙂 as when one doesn’t move the other generally does. I know for some currently doing the 5:2 weight loss part the scales have gone up but the tape measure has gone down at the same time, so don’t be disheartened if this ever happens to you too just know that it DOES happen from time to time 🙂 .

Thanks so much for the support girls, very much appreciated 🙂
    Very true Nik39, as long as weight is going down and clothes are getting lose it feels great and it keeps me motivated to do this as a life style, I am so excited today I can eat some chocolate and a burger! LOL I only do it once a week so its a nice treat, as long as I don’t go over my allowance for the day, it doesnt feel like a diet, it actually is a lot easier then I thought, I can’t wait to see my results next week, I will keep you all updated, please keep updating each other on our progress, its so motivating and supportive, 🙂

Good morning everyone! Welcome to all the new recruits since I posted last night lol! Well done Steph 🙂 I am like Nik…..water fat whatever…it’s a great motivator!
    I finished my second fast day yesterday and am 1.1kg lighter than yesterday….so all up 2.5kg since Tuesday when I weighed myself for my first fast day…..like you I guess there is a lot of water, but had to do my bras up an extra notch today and some clothes are looser….I confess to be a daily weigher….it keeps me focused, plus I want to know the fluctuations between fast and non-fast days….after my first non-fast day I regained 400grams..

Nik….making your own soup would be best…..just use whatever vegies you want….weigh and measure them for accurate cals with you app…and cook them in a stock…..Massell is the one I use….low in cals and no additives, gluten, suitable for vegos etc..and is delcious…..I use Calorie King to work out my food values and number of cals I want to eat each day…..you can also work out cals per serving if you add your own recipes..

Keep up the good work everyone!

PS Forgot to say I am seriously thinking of doing another fast tomorrow whilst I am so motivated….that would make a 4:3 week for me….still haven’t decided. My sister is coming for dinner tonight…..I’m making salt and pepper squid and may have a vino…

Kezza

Yeah Im just reading calories for my first day fasting and my first day learning the myfitnesspal app. I havent weighed myself which I shouldve but after gaining weight from quitting smoking I got the sh#ts and threw my scales out lol. I have started my day today so I think I’ll buy scales but may not start weighing till next week. I’ll go by the fit of clothes/how I feel in general for this week. Awesome loss tho 🙂 alcohol will be the killer for me, I love and scotch & pepsi max in the evenings… 🙁

Hey Nik39, i haven’t bothered weighing myself – goodness knows weighing myself in the past has not helped me lose weight so i’m going on my general well being and the fit of my clothes. In saying that, of course i have a pretty good idea of what i weigh. I might just check in on the scales once a week to make sure i am on the right track.

Hi everyone, my name is Suellen, I’m from Tassie (Australia), good to read through all the posts, it seems like we all have fairly similar stories. I started my fast days on Tuesday and although it was a bit tough making it through the day (I had two hard boiled eggs for breakie and a bowl of homemade mushroom soup and a slice of sour dough for dinner) I made it and lost 1.3 kg…yay was I doing a happy dance. Best of all I felt thinner and my clothes felt looser. I have to confess that I’ve pigged out a bit since but today is my second fast day and so far so good. When I got to work I had a punnet of strawberries with a dollop of plain yoghurt……and lots of water…which gets me up from my desk on a regular basis…lol.
    My goal is to lose another 6 kg at least. I’m not overly over weight but I suffer from carrying weight around my middle and nothing has shifted that unless I really restrict calories….I’m not good at sustaining that over the long term so this diet suits me fine.
    It’s good to hear everyone else’s journey.
    Xx
    Suellen

Must admit Im struggling a bit but reading your loss from just one day makes me more determined. Ive had a breakfast of 2 egg whites scrambled with diced tomato, onion, baby spinach and mushroom. Ive already drank a 1.5lt of water and have made a bottle of soda water with the sodastream as the fizziness seems to be covering the hunger better than water. I have also made a clear soup (packet) but a cup is 28 calories so Ive been sipping on that. Ive already been doing this only half a day and have already rearranged my whole pantry lol. Can anyone tell me if Im meant to be having 500 calories or 25% of my TDEE as that only gives me 348 calories for the whole 24 hrs then 🙁

Nik39….I have regained all but half a kiloin two days, yes I pigged out a bit and wasn’t that good with my food choices, and I really don’t think weighing myself every day is a strategy I want to continue with. I just wanted to see the fluctuations over a the first week…..I think I will make Sunday morning my weigh in day. If I continue to lose some weight each week I’m happy, but more to the point will be my waist measurement….fat around my middle is the monkey on my back and it is so hard to shift, especially being a shortie.

Nik I’d suggest you start at 500 calories, once your body had adjusted to that then, if you want, you can reduce again to 348. Don’t make it too hard for yourself, this is meant to be a WOL (way of life) not a quick fix so if it’s not doable and able to fit in your normal life then you won’t do it. Be kind to yourself 🙂 … on non FD’s I aim for between my BMR and TDEE but not more than TDEE, so far I’ve only just got to within 300 cals of my BMR (but mine is quite high) and I’m not concerned as long as I know that I can eat, in moderation, anything I want then on FD’s I can get past it. Again I don’t eat breakfast as a general rule as otherwise I’d be starving hungry by 9 or 10am … but that’s me 🙂

Me too! Im 4ft 10 and I noticed on the site it says the BMI calculated cant be reliable for people under 5ft tall.

Hi.. another Aussie saying hello… just started my journey this week and hubby is following suite..started at 81.7kg and today at 80.4kgs…
    Hoping to keep it off…I have done the HCG diet (drops) and I am used to know how much 500calories are so it was easy for me judge the amount of food.. I did get some crankiness on the 2nd evening and restlessness. I do hope it gets better with time… Good luck to all!

Hi Franter crankiness should ease as your body/mind adjusts … I had to be careful around that time too as to how I responded but now I am going okay (well up to now that is).

Hi everyone….and welcome to franter and Suellen..new since I last checked in…
    Well today has been my first real day of eating whatever…..been going well with healthy eating all day and have two hours of gardening up my sleeve….but my sis here for dinner….and she cooked me an entree of scallops on a pea puree with proscuitto chips….then I made salt n pepper squid with chips n salad…plus a garlic aoli….THEN…we played trivial pursuit and I ended up drinking a whole bottle of wine! sigh….hope I havent blown all my hard work away

hahaha foxycoxy glad to see your human lol. Dont stress, just start afresh from today :-)Yesterday was my first fast day and I went over slightly, I had 535 cal instead of 500 calories. I was hungry all day!I drank about 3 ltr of water/soda water and was hungry all day! I hope that gets easier over time. This morning Ive had a 300 cal brekky so far and would love to eat more lol. Not sure if Im actually hungry or just wanting to eat today because I can…just hope it gets easier.

Best thing though Foxy is that you can start afresh today and do your best. Don’t beat yourself up about the hiccup, this is a way of life (WOL) rather than a quick fix IMO. You know where you went wrong, another time you’ll be stronger and be able to have a small taste of everything and know when you’ve had enough 🙂

LOL thanks NiK39….not too much damage done….up 400grams, but that happened to me after my first non-fast day anyway! I was going to fast again today, but have decided to just retrict my cals to 3/4 of my TDE….I too found that I was pretty hungry after my breakfast after my first fast day….but it settled down….I think that’s the key, trying to work if you are actually hungry, or just wanting more food!
    Well done of your first fast day…..it IS hard….but my second fast day was better…..enjoy today and your weekend….when are you next fasting? I’m going to fast again on Tuesday

Thanks Aussie O….I’m hoping for a better day today! i want this to be a WOL for me….I’m sick of going up and down…and being the size I am.

I hear you Foxy … I have a massive amount to lose and being on the shorter side of tall I show every little bit of it 😉

Hey guys well my morning started out ok but then I have rushed to the hospital as my step father is in palliative care and its not looking good. When we got there the other visitors were having lunch in the best bakery we have ever seen (it even has a drive-thru) and I ate a pressed sandwich with sourdough bread and chicken/sundried tomatoes etc then I had passed worrying and figured go hard or go home so I also had a vanilla slice. I worked it out on myfitnesspal app and by 1pm Ive eaten my daily 1200 calories already. Ah well, I’ll start afresh tomorrow but my next fast day will still be monday 🙂

Hi Nik39, sorry to hear your news, life does offer use a lot of grief. Just reading your cals for the day, why not just have soup for dinner, that will help keep in you range, maybe a bit over but not by much

Yeah my fitnesspal says 1200 calories and this website says 1395 calories so I havent gone over technically but I just felt guilty for eating so much in one sitting. If I go by here Ive still got 260 or so calories left. Im still full tho so thats good 🙂

Good morning everyone!
    Well week two begins! I have decided to go for Monday & Thursday fast days as that seems the most popular….so am into my third fast of 5:2. I have a cold today, which seems to happen a bit with 5:2 when first starting? I haven’t got the book yet, so am just following advice from on here…
    Overall I lost 1.8kg last week, which I am pretty pleased with….I’ve been this weight for two days now so feel confident that its more than water loss.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and are still going strong?

Nik39….how is your step father going?

Hi everyone.

So me first week went really well. I’ve lost a total of 2.1kg of which I picked up 200g over the weekend but lost it again over yesterday and was straight back to a loss of 2.1kg when I got back on the scales this morning. I’ve been especially good at taking LOTS of water (something that I was really bad at before).

I am super excited about the week ahead and especially on my first goal to be at least another 6-8kg lighter by Xmas. Anything more than that would obviously be a plus but I want to set myself some realistic goals. Including the weight that I’ve lost, my total weight loss that I’m aiming for in a year would be around 20-23kg.

I have just received the Fast Cook book of Mimi Spencer and I’m looking forward to trying out some of the tips and recipes.

Hi everyone 🙂 I’m another Aussie hoping to join your group! I’m from WA, am 47 and aiming for a 10kg loss initially followed up by another 5kg after that! It’s that extra 5kg I struggle with (mentally more than anything) and am hoping to gain confidence on this program and break past the barrier. This is my second week but must admit first week I was kind of “feeling my way” a bit and now ready to get right into it. Did Monday and Wednesday as my fast days last week and sticking with it again … like not being consecutive but leaving weekends free.

Weigh in day is Wednesday!!

Hope to hear from you guys .. would love the support 🙂

Well done LHeymans! I am excited too, I feel last week was a tester and I feel more confident this week. I’d love to be 6 – 8 kgs lighter by Christams too (want to lose 23kg all up – am hoping that will be gone by next November.

Welcome Lid4short…..when I first started I thought the fast days had to be consecutive too, so like you I’m pleased that they are’nt and my weekends are free….hubby and I went and had a Gelato icecraem yesterday…which I would NEVER have done if I was following a daily diet or calorie restriction routine…there is great freedom in this way of eating and I want it to become a WOL….way of life for me 🙂

Where are you in WA? I am in Albany

Haven’t had a chance to read all the posts but just wanted to say congrats to LURINDA … 2.1kg is awesome! You must be so happy! Have a really good feeling about this program 🙂

Hi, Coffeeholic from Melbourne.
    53 years old, going through the dreaded “M” (7+ years of the dreaded M) and also suffer with hashimotos hypothyroidism, wanting to lose 15kg.
    Onto week 2 as of today and so far I’ve lost 1kg but put it back on, sigh!!!
    Hoping this week will bring better results.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply.