Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,892 replies, has 402 voices, and was last updated by  symba7 6 hours, 49 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 35,378 total)

• Hi there,

I am new to the 5:2 – started last week. I am on my 3rd fasting day today. I have previously spent months using MyFitnessPal for close calorie counting on 1,200 a day and it was getting tiresome with little results!

I am originally from the UK but relocated to Tokyo with my work in January so am now in a whole new jungle of teeny tiny Japanese girls, raw fish, noodles and more soy bean based products than I thought existed.

I am 25 years old,5ft3 and weight 60kg (132 lbs). Being generally healthy and never taking sick days, I hadnt visited a doctor in about 6 years. However, last month I was forced to have the company health check. I discovered I have inherited a dodgy gene from my Mum’s side of the family (who are prone to angina and heart problems) meaning that I have crazy high bad cholesterol, regardless of lifestyle *sad face*. Given my Japanese diet, I can’t do much more to naturally help the condition so here I am giving 5.2 a try (every little helps!) before I investigate meds etc at the hospital.

In addition to this I am reuniting with a friend for a US holiday in a few weeks, so I want to shed 3-5lbs before I leave. That way I can eat those pounds in mac&cheese and the kind of western luxuries I don’t get out here, without feeling too guilty! 🙂

Just looking for banter and support on here because, unsurprisingly, there aren’t many people to joint diet with over here!

Hi translation! Welcome to 5:2/the group! The great thing about 5:2 is that you effectively reduce the calories drastically on two days so you can eat normally on the other 5. You can always have that little treat tomorrow (if you still want it). Although of course, you can’t go crazy. Good luck with it. How have you found your first few fasts?

The difference a day makes. Yesterday I weighed and had put on 4lbs. I suspected there were other factors affecting the result (period, food in transit) but I fasted well yesterday and had an amazing work out at fitsteps. It was so hot last night that I was sweating before we even started dancing! So jumped on this morning to see how much had changed (I know I prob weigh too often but can’t help it) and in 3lbs down from yesterday (so only 1lb higher than before the birthday celebrations). Those extra factors were definately affecting the scales yesterday! I find that once I’m in the routine of 4;3 I don’t have much natural fluctuation generally though. Feeling so much better after just one day of fasting! NFD today and then back on it tomorrow. Can’t wait to hit that one and a half stone mark soon (need to lose 2lbs)

Well done to everyone who survived another FD yesterday

Welshy xXx

Hi Welshy

I am sure that you will have lost a lot of this weight before next week, it takes a few days to go through your system.

Just gent back into routine and you may be surprised.

Hi CC

Nice to see you here. You have had a nice weight loss and I hope you soon drop into the stone below always a good feeling.

Hi Lynda

It is always good to be heading towards a target. I hope that you get there soon.

Ginette

Hi everyone. I hope you’re all keeping nice and cool in this heat (my car said 33degrees yesterday lunchtime!)

My first big personal target was one and a half stone (21lbs) and I came very close, then it was my partners birthday and I gained a bit but after two FD this week ive noticed the numbers on the scale tumbling down and ive finally reached my 21lb goal, which takes me down to 13 stone from an original 14st 7lb.

But I’m wondering. I’ve lost 5lbs this week so far according to the scales. I admit a bit of that was period bloating but not that much. so I’m wondering why I’m losing weight so easily this week, before this I was losing a steady 2lb a week. I have two theories:
    1) my ‘feasting’ last week. While it made me gain a bit, it has kick started my digestive system and made it work harder for a while, which it’s still doing, despite me eating less again, therefore burning more fat
    2) the heat! Quite finally it’s blooming warm at the moment and I wondered if that made me burn more energy some how? I had my fitsteps class on Monday and I’ve never been so hot in my life-I felt like I sweated half my body weight lol (sorry for that lovely image!)

So I was just wondering-are you guys noticing any more weight loss this week due to the heat? (I know some people don’t weigh till sat so don’t know yet) or do you have any better understanding of how my feasting last week could have affected me?

Either way, I’ve lost weight and reached my first goal! Yey! My next target is another stone and a half, which will take me down to 11st 7lb – a number I used to feel I could only dream of, now it feels like it’s just a matter of time 🙂 my bf is out for a meal tonight do am tempted to throw another FD in today. Will see how I feel as the day progresses and try my best.

Happy fasting to everyone-def keep that water handy this week!

Welshy xXx

A big well done welshy!!
    I can join your gang this week lost 2lb this week and reach my target of a one and a has stone. Was 13st 12 now 12st 4lb hubby will be gob smack when he comes home next week.
    I had a bit of a blow out a few weeks ago and since then have lost every week think it was a shock to my system, but also with this hot weather your drink more so flush out your system so all helps get rid of fat.

I’ve been reading up on what’s the best to time to lose weight when doing exercise (power walking) they say before breakfast when your tummy is empty as then it pulls on your fat supply I got a lot of that lol so been going out 6ish every morning apart from 2days a week I work. Been sweating loads as well.
    Lynda xx

Well done Welshy

It is so nice to reach a target. I always find it harder to lose in the summer. It has always been the way when I was at slimming clubs. Now at least I haven’t gained. After 2 weeks of 4:3 I lost 2lb so I am pleased with that as my monthly target is 4 – 8lb a month, I reached 4 this month. I set myself half a stone targets, but my next big target is 11lb away this means I will have lost half of the weight that I want to lose (4.5 stone).

Don’t worry about gains with no reason this time of the year as this happens, water in our body really fluctuates. As long as you know and look at what you are eating weigh food and calculate calories on fast days. Estimate calories on nfds (you need to know what calories foods contain for this) then all will be well it will show up. If you weigh yourself for 7 days in a row it will give you an idea of how weight fluctuates from week to week.

I need to go out later and I am not looking forward to the heat in my car at all!! I have air conditioning but it takes a few minutes to take effect.

Hi Lynda

Nice to see you here. I would love to see the look on his face when he sees you. Yes they say best time for exercise is on an empty stomach.

Well done on your loss.

Ginette

Hi everyone!

Welshy! fantastic job! that’s an amazing loss. Am with you about the heat, I’m much less hungry when it’s hot!, I used to be much smaller when I lived overseas..but there we go. Have not got on scales but last time I checked was the same, so ok.

Lynda thanks for the tip on the exercising, generally run in the mornings, but haven’t been for a while due to a sore hip, which seems like it’s on the mend.

Ginette,that’s a good loss 😉 btw did you cut out milk in tea/coffee on FBD? that will probably be my biggest challenge, maybe I’ll just reduce to a couple with milk, I like coffee black so that’s ok. Drink Rooibos tea, as it doesn’t have that “stewed” taste when black, tastes quite mild, AND it has some great health benefits, as well as being caffeine free ;-0

Will be starting FBD on Mon, have a friend staying, so not ideal, but I’m ready for the off. Would like to lose 10 Ibs but 8 would be good, not sure how quickly I will lose is as have 17 Ibs left to lose..Oct is deadline.

Enjoy the heat! xxxx

Hi Beldyboop

I always have milk for 5 cups of tea. I am not really a coffee drinker. I measured the amount once and I now add 250 skimmed milk to have with a fast day. About 88 calories the one I get. I use long life skimmed milk as the normal fresh one is far too watery. The 250 ml allows enough for about 5/6 cups in case I need an extra one.

I don’t eat until after 2.30 at the earliest so my tea helps me through. Last week with the extreme heat I was only having about 2 cups a day. I drink water when it is really hot and so last week I would have about 2 large cups of tea (bigger that a half pint mug) and about 4 pints of water.

I then have fruit as a snack normally 3.30 – 4.30 and dinner about 8.30 – 9.30 so I am also doing 16/8. I try to to this most days.

They do have a coffee out with almond as I have seen that advertised. This may be nice.

I have gone back to 4:3 at the moment as it is too hot for me to exercise. Before I was really hot exercising so until it cools off and I get back to it I shall probably keep at 4:3. The trouble is when I stop exercising it takes a while to get my momentum back.

I may join the gym later as I need to tackle weights and toning. The gym I want to use is nor air conditioned but then only costs £2 a session as there is no monthly fee. It is really quiet in the afternoon so this will be a good time for me. As long as I lose a minimum of 4lb a month I am ok, I would like to lose a little more but that is me being hopeful in this weather. I lose better in the cooler weather. I am too overweight to go swimming. This is from not wanting to look like a beached whale and having to subject other people to that. I need to lose another three stone to get to the swimming pool.

I really don’t enjoy walking. I would need to borrow a dog and get someone to go with to make it interesting.

Why don’t you try to do 4:3 if you can when your friend is there. Then you can enjoy the other days. I shall look up that tea as I have never heard of it.

Ginette

Morning all,

I am back from my break, had a fabulous day at daughters wedding and a wonderful break at caravan on Anglesey.

I haven’t counted calories or had any full fast days so after 3 weeks away I have weighed myself and only put on 4.5 lbs. I am quite pleased as I have over indulged whilst I was away with both food and drink.

I am now back home for a while so am today doing my first proper fast and exercise day for 3 weeks so wish me luck it’s going to be hard!

It is nice to see familiar faces as well as some new ones so greetings to everyone keep on losing everyone and keep in touch.

Audrey

Hi all,

I am struggling at the min, have tried and failed to fast for 2 days now, can’t get my head around it.

Any suggestions welcome feeling like a failure, think I have just had too many treats over past few weeks. HELP PLEASE before I give up!

Audrey

Hi Audrey 4.5 lbs gain over 3 weeks is really good. If you are like me before 5.2 I would have gained at least 7 lbs. So the first thing to remember is you know it works! I am not sure if you split your calories on a FD or of you wait until the evening. Maybe you should try and have 3 small meals the first day back just to get yourself back into it. I have had an apple for breakfast, an M&S meal for 154 calories for lunch I am going to have a prawn curry at 222 calories tonight.

Also try and pick a day when you know you will be busy so you don’t get tempted I always find that helps.

You will be back on it in no time 🙂

Hi Audrey,

yes as Jfitzy says that is true you have a gain that is manageable. You can do it and you will get there. Most people on 5:2 lose the weight quickly once they get back into routine. You can do it.

Ginette

Audrey

If you are on Facebook look up Applepie’s profile she doesn’t post much here any more. Contact her and join our group.

Same goes for you Welshy and Beldyboop.

A few people from these threads are on there.

Ginette

Re Facebook the group is private and so won’t show up on your normal Facebook feed. It is called Fast friends. There are about 12/13 of us now.

Ginette

Hi Audrey
    I need to eat 3 times a day when on fast days couldn’t cope not eating all day and ended up eating more calories as I was so hungry. So hung on in there and give yourself a pat on the back for the weight you lost so far.

I’m on the secret Facebook page come and join us.

Lynda xx

Thanks everyone

Ginette, I may well join you on Facebook so you can see me in my mother of bride outfit! Keep an eye out.

Jfitzy

You made a lot of sense, I will try to look at the positives

Thanks for all your support

Audrey

Hello all,

I wondered if I could join your ‘Fat Busting Brits’ discussion group please?

I’m just starting 5:2 today, although I did it very successfully about a year ago, getting down to my target weight and then summer/birthdays/parties (and anything you can think of!) came along and I fell out of the habit.

I now have about 1 1/2 stone to lose again. Boo!

I’m having a good day so far – but then first days are always easier aren’t they?

Hi Audrey

Looking forward to seeing you there. I can tell you everybody there is really supportive and you get food pictures too.

Ginette

Hi Cooper

Whereabouts are you I’m from Hampshire. Do you have a lot to lose? I have probably struggled with about three of them and have been on it since January so not bad.

Ginette

Hi Audrey

I know how you feel, bloody hard to get back into it after even a short break, must be like that after weekend release from prison!

Seems like your back trying to lose a few pounds you have already lost, and if you”ve had to do it more than once, it becomes soul destroying, at least it was for me until I changed my perspective, wrote this on mid 50s but worth repeating.

Losing and gaining the same few pounds is what you do in maintenance, and maintenance is the goal of 5:2, so all we are doing is practicing maintenance! So no reason to get upset or feel guilty, it’s a good thing.

Hope that makes sense, I rambled on about it on the other thread.

Read this wee quote this morning:

LOSING WEIGHT IS BLOODY HARD

BEING OVERWEIGHT IS BLOODY HARD

CHOOSE YOUR HARD!!*

Hi everyone

Audrey, I pit 4lbs on in less than a week recently as it was partners 30th (although I bleieve some of that was my monthly making me bloated). I was fortunate that I could get back into the habit of fasting easily, but then the weight fell off-6lb in a week! I don’t know how that happened! I’m sure I’ve heard of some diets where you have one day where you “feast” and maybe that’s something to do with it.

I like the suggestion of easing yourself with just some smaller meals. Or just try skipping brekkie and see how long you can last till you need food again? Just remember that you’ve done it before so you absolutely can do it.

I’m on a FD today. Good morning, had my one meal at lunchtime but I was so exhausted today that I actually felt like I shouldn’t be driving at one point (bad nights sleep after a busy day yesterday) so I did have two choc digestives. Naughty I know but they still do fit into my daily allowance (just!) as long as I don’t have anything else. I was in desperate need of a nap but wasn’t able to due to my hyper daughter so I’m afraid sugar was the only option. And it worked, almost instantaneously. Felt much better this afternoon. Got fitsteps tonight but thank god it’s cooler than last Monday!!

I’ve just contacted Applepie so should hopefully be in the fb group soon

Hope you all have a good week

Welshy xXx

Ginette, I can’t find applepie on Facebook I am not very good at it …

Milena thanks for hard words of wisdom, makes sense to me.

Hi cooper and welcome to the group.

Welshy, how do you contact applepie please send instructions for beginners…

Audrey

Hi Welshy

See you there soon.

Hi Audrey

Applepie is her forum name

Follow this link and then click on her name all will be revealed.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-fellow-fasties/

Ginette

Thanks ginette I am on Facebook now. Think it’s obvious which one is me. Hope you like the suit.

Audrey

Hello everyone

starting today and already very hungry, I’m a Brit so this looks to be a good group to join, if I may?

I’m over 15 stone and I hope to lose about 3 stone if possible. I have tried weight watchers and hated it, lost 2 stones but I put on more. Looking for advice and support.

Hi Ginette

I live in the North East. I’ve got about 1 1/2 stone to lose – I’m aiming for early autumn. Fingers crossed!

Cooper

Hi Slim

Welcome to the thread. I have been to many slimming clubs and have never lasted so long on an eating plan. I have been doing this since January and have lost nearly three stone on 5:2 and a stone before I started. I have had the most consistent losses and so far I haven’t had a gain.

I still have another 5 and a few pounds to lose and will be here for a while. Which part of Uk are you from?

Hi Cooper

I am sure you will have great success here. It is really achievable.

I did a thread with a lot of pointers for people starting out.

Here is a link

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-10-week-weight-loss-week-by-week/#post-99160

I need to update with my next 10 weeks loss so I shall try to do it this week.

Good luck to you both.

Ginette

Morning all,

Thank you all for your support and advise yesterday, it really meant a lot to me.

I may have failed with the fast day but I didn’t fall of the wagon, I kept my calories to around 1000 and had a really good workout so I had a nice surprise when I got onto scales to discover I have lost 1 lb.

Don’t think I could have done it without your help sure I would have turned to food for comfort and not exercise!

It’s true what we say together we are stronger …..

Welcome to slim and cooper, I am sure you will like this group, these people are superstars.
    Audrey

That’s great news, Audreyg, glad you feel really positive about your choices yesterday, that’s really inspirational 🙂

Well done Audrey you will lose the other pesky pounds in no time! 🙂

Thanks Jfitzy and Shazzeh for your kind words.

I have been busy on the wii again this morning and am aiming for another good food day. I am sticking to well below my tdee and hoping that as ginette said it’s going to be quick on and quick off again!

Have a great day fasting or not.

Audrey

Hi All

Well done again Audrey on losing that 1lb

Hi Jfitzy and Shazzeh

Here is an interesting link to how 3 minutes exercise a week helped this man get cholesterol and blood pressure down. He wasn’t on 5:2 or he would have mentioned it but he did lose some weight.

I’ve done THREE MINUTES of exercise a week for two years and never been fitter! Vince initially scoffed at ‘high-intensity’ exercise. Now he says it’s changed his life
    http://dailym.ai/1eA3nsI

If only I had a bike……..

Ginette

Aaaahhhhhh, my second fasting day this week and I’ve managed to come in at 650 calories – how did that happen!!!

My dilemma is whether to scrap today and try again tomorrow (not an entertaining thought having struggled all day) or do I stick with what I’ve done and maybe skip a meal over the weekend.

Any thought?

Thanks x

Hi cooper14
    Just have a low calorie day tomorrow don’t give in now that’s what I would do.
    Lynda x

Yay, 2lbs lost this week. Happy days 🙂

Congratulations cooper, glad you made it.well done

Audrey

Well done Cooper a great loss, that will inspire you to keep going. Make sure you measure yourself as well though.

Ginette

Hi all,

I completed my first ever liquid day yesterday! It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.

I am not particularly hungry this morning, and I am now contemplating a fast day today.

The scales show a 3lb loss this week, I know it will probably change but should still be on track for a good loss.

Hope everyone is ok, it is very quiet on the forum.

KEEP IN TOUCH TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER …….

Audrey

Well done Audrey

I rather like the liquid fasts, have got up to 40 hours,trying to find a few quiet days to extend it, only find it hard when my boys are cooking.

I have tea with a drop of milk and a quarter spoon of sugar,I tend to leave half the cup but a lot easier than water only. Strangely havingng the odd skinny latte on FBD seems to stop me from feeling deprived too.

Hope your fast day is going well!

Hi milena,

Not managed a 2nd fast day today but have had a reasonably good day.

I managed till lunch time then was starving and of course true to form once I started eating I couldn’t stop.

Keep in touch

Audrey

Hi Audrey

I do that too – been doing 19-5, or more accurately 22-2, trying to have just one meal, otherwise once I started eating I become a grazer.

Works most of the time. I eat around 7, problem is if I have a latte late morning or early afternoon, it’s opened the window, sometimes too hard to close the window and have no food in the evening.

Ne’er mind, we’ll get there!

Milena

I couldn’t just have one meal and stop. Once I start eating that is it. I think you are doing brilliantly to be able to do 19 5s etc.

Isn’t it funny we all find our own way to make this work?

Audrey

Hi Audry

wish I could brag I can do it and its easy – I get there about 80% of the time, but I’m very like you, find it harder to stop eating when I start. That’s why I try to do one meal – easy some days, other days I’m in and out of the kitchen like a yoyo. And some days I just give up!

I also have a habit of getting so far and then going easy, for trips and celebrations, thus I’ve been gaining and losing the same few pounds for weeks – but gritting my teeth and my chin is down, could be on holiday in 4 weeks and I really would love to be another half stone down. Waiting for date for son’s op, as its his right hand can’t really leave him after, and even though he is a grown man, don’t want to abandon him in hospital either – so the holiday is a moveable feast. Doing three antique fairs this week to raise holiday money, so very easy to go back to old ways, grazing at the show and a meal on the way home – but managed to show a bit of restraint so far though this Sunday’s show is next to MacDonalds!

Oh no milena, you said the m word!

I immediately start to sing lalala to stop me thinking about the burgers hehe.

It does seem we are very similar when it comes to food. Sometimes I feel like a borg resistance is futile! (Please forgive the star trek pun).

Am doing my 2nd fast today, liquid only again for me I think it is easier, if I don’t start eating I don’t binge.

Have a good day, I have just been in the garden dead heading the roses, it is a beautiful day here.

Audrey

Hi Audrey

sorry about mispelling your name – typo I missed!

Doing better today, just had a small skinny latte – had to go out early as OH is having a crown fitted later this afternoon – so now wondering whether to eat within a couple of hours or later – think I’ll stick to me window, its not much!

Saw the forecast, whole of England sunny, all of Scotland raining – something else for Sturgeon to have a moan at! Can’t complain though I have a mountain of stuff to list, so sitting on the sofa watching a film while I work!

Good luck with the liquid fast, I’ll do one one tomorrow, that way I can try to stay on the fast part way through Friday. And I’ll need to plan what food to take with me on Sunday to stop OH bringing that burger for lunch!

Hi girls,
    Lost another 1lb this week and that’s after a weekend away with all the wrong food eaten, just got straight back on it on Monday so no damage done.
    Lynda x

Well done Lynda

No harm done then. I think by people’s comments on these threads that it seem relatively easy to lose it after doing 5:2. Of course that is with a couple of weeks break.

Interesting story on the mail about obese people.

I shall post link

Ginette

Here is the link.

They ought to come on this forum!

Losing weight really IS impossible: The vast majority of people who pile on the pounds never lose them in the long run
    http://dailym.ai/1V86CsP

Ginette

Hi All

It is very quiet on here recently.

How are you all doing? I lost 2lbs this week, but it took 4 fast days to do it.

Ginette

Hello everyone! Newbie here! I’m 35, living in Mid Wales with 4 children aged 3-13 and hubby.
    I’ll admit this is all very new to me. It was my daughter’s prom last night and I couldn’t get into my nice dress. Exactly a year ago I was a size 8 and about 9 stone. Now (some 300 miles later-I’m walking the coastal path of Wales and probably more under eating than over) I’m a size 16 and 12 stone… I’m flummoxed!
    So I thought I’d try my first ever diet (yay!) And downloaded the 5:2 book this morning. As I hadn’t eaten anything yet, I started there and then. I feel great!
    Going to have my 500 for tea in 2 hours.
    We leave for our holidays in two days and will be touring round England in our caravan for 6 weeks. I never do things by halves 😉
    I’ll check back in in September to report any progress!

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 35,378 total)

You must be logged in to reply.