Fasting starting to become an obsession – help!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
Fasting starting to become an obsession – help!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello fellow fasters,

I’m relatively new here, I’ve been reading the forums, but this is the first time I’ve posted (long time reader, first time poster haha).

I have a bit of a problem (actually 2 problems), in that I find that I’m starting to obsess over fasting. What I mean by that is, I started doing 5:2, then I increased to 4:3 and now I find myself thinking “what if I do two fast days in a row”, “what if I fast for 4 days”. I am worried that it’s going to get to the point where I’m fasting more than not and possibly becoming an unhealthy lifestyle. I’m only into my 7th week, I’ve lost about 3.5kg in that time and I think because it’s actually working I keep thinking the more I fast the more weight I’ll lose, and the faster I’ll lose it, but I obviously don’t want to end up with an unhealthy attitude to eating or make myself ill, or end up not eating at all.

Part of my problem is, I am definitely an “all or nothing” type of girl. I am fine on fast days (I just eat on small meal for dinner), partly because I know it’s my fast day and so I don’t have anything around to tempt me, and partly because if I am craving something (my weakness is chocolate), I tell myself “tomorrow”. Even if I don’t particularly crave chocolate on my non-fast days, I still buy it and devour it because I told myself on my fast day that I could, so I do, because it’s a treat for fasting. Hope that makes sense. I also have trouble stopping, so it doesn’t take long for a whole block to get eaten.

I only lost 100g last week and in my mixed up little brain I thought “it’s because of all the chocolate, I need to fast more”. Then alarm bells rang and I know I should just stop eating chocolate, but I’m in this habit now and I really don’t know how to stop.

Does anyone have any tips on how to change my mindset? The more I try to talk myself out of chocolate, the more I think about it, and the more I want it.

The second problem, well it’s more of a question, is I think I’m going to stick with 3:4, because as I said above I know I won’t eat bad things when I’m fasting, so 4 days where I can potentially slip up are better than 5 in my opinion. But I’m worried because I don’t really count my calories on my non-fast days, and although I do eat very healthy (aside from the chocolate), I don’t know if I eat enough (as in my calculated TDEE) so I’m worried if I increase my fast days, but am not eating enough calories, it might slow down or stop the weight loss.

I’m so sorry it’s such a long post!! Any suggestions or tips would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks, Sara 🙂

OK – so you obviously can’t be trusted with the biscuit tin 😉

I’m kind of the same and I have to apply rules to myself on non-fastdays in order to have a hope of getting anywhere. Maybe that will work for you too – especially if you’re an ‘obsessive’ type anyway.

Try applying some ‘obsessiveness’ on non-fastdays too. Most people would hate to think of this as a nit-picky ‘calorie counting’ diet but it CAN be if that’s going to help you. Maybe you should just say to yourself, like you do on fastdays “Right, today is a non-fastday and my calorie allowance is X today, I WILL NOT exceed it.” It still means that you can say to yourself on fastdays “Tomorrow” and follow through by having whatever naughtiness you wanted but it MUST fall within your non-fastday calorie allowance and you have to plan your non-fastday meals around whatever naughtiness you plan to fit into it.

I would strongly urge you NOT to do any more than 3 (at the absolute max) fastdays per week. If you’re not behaving yourself on non-fastdays then more fastdays is not the answer, you need to concentrate on fixing the non-fastday problems you’re having.

Thanks Tracy,
    Those are great ideas, use my obsessiveness to my advantage in a way. I think I will start counting my calories on my non-fast days too, at least until I get out of this rut with my eating. Or maybe even keep a food diary, those have helped shock me in to action in the past and then I will be held more accountable to myself when I go back and read it.

It’s funny because today is a non-fast day and it’s the first time in 7 weeks where I haven’t wanted or thought about chocolate. Maybe just writing all of that down made me look at it externally and think it through more logically. Hopefully it lasts!

I will stick to my 2-3 fast days too. It’s good to have someone else opinion and take on things. Thank you very much for taking the time 🙂

No worries. I’m a chocoholic myself and I do get the whole binging on non-fastdays thing. I don’t beat myself up about it too much when it happens, as long as it’s just occasional or a special occasion or something, as long as it doesn’t become ‘the norm’.

My favourite thing about 5:2 is that I don’t have to eat ‘diet food’ EVER! I just decide what my priorities are and work my food plans around them.

Today is a fastday but I wont eat until very, very late and will need something quite light (as it’ll be quite close to bedtime) but to me that just means I can spend my 500 calories on something REALLY yummy, so I fully intend to have a hiloumi salad sandwich with homemade wild garlic pesto spread. I KNOW that this will taste AMAZING and I will look forward to it all day knowing that not one other morsel (except water and my post-swim whey protein shake) must pass my lips or I will lose my ‘right’ to it.

Tomorrow will be a non-fastday but I will apply the same carrot & stick technique, it’s just that tomorrow’s ‘carrot’ will be 2 creme egg brownies I have earmarked for supper (somewhat more calorific than tonight’s sandwich) – I must be ‘good’ for the rest of the day to deserve my brownies or they’ll stay where they are (the freezer).

I think that was my problem, it was starting to become the normal thing for me to overindulge. It didn’t help that I was still losing weight even when I was, which gave me no incentive to stop.

I like that as well, and the fact that it’s so easy to make it a lifestyle, which is hard to say for any other ‘diet’. I used to go to a nutritionist, and that worked, but I went back to uni and started working part time, so I couldn’t afford to go and see her, or the food (and amount of food) she had me on. So although I eat healthy the substitutions I used saw me put the weight back on. But this just seems to easy to integrate into everyday life. Plus it’s cheap! I’m so glad I got on to it. Have you been doing it for long?

Your sandwich sounds amazing! I hope you enjoyed it. I need to branch out with my cooking, I just normally cook the same thing every night. Meat and veggies. Fast or non-fast days. Same breakfast, same lunch. Maybe if I started to experiment a bit more, then that food would be a treat and I wouldn’t be looking for chocolate.

I have never heard of creme egg brownies! I am definitely going to google the recipe though and test them for myself!

Yeah, I’d never made them or the wild garlic pesto before last weekend – google is a handy little tool isn’t it. The brownies were for a work thing and the pesto was just a desire to use some ‘wild food’ growing on one of my local walks. I think I’ll be off for another forage this weekend – that stuff is definitely a taste sensation.

I’ve been doing 5:2 since the documentary aired in August 2012. It is a lifestyle now. I still have weight to lose but as I never actually expected to lose any anyway in the beginning, I do see it all as a nice surprise side-effect of a healthier, more controlled relationship with food and associated guilt really.

Good luck with your journey, I’m sure if you apply some rules to yourself and spend a little time figuring out how you can aford to ‘treat’ yourself within a calorie limit on non-fastdays as well as fastdays, you’ll have no problems getting into it and sticking with it longterm. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.