Day One Verdict

This topic contains 95 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  A idol 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 51 through 96 (of 96 total)

• Hi elle and welcome:

How much weight have you two lost?

I have nearly finished day 1! I do lots of exercise and normally eat loads of fruit through the day in addition to my 3 meals and was worried I’d be really hungry, but I’ve been fine. I want to lose about a stone and have tried slimming world before but find the weekends hard especially when you want to go out for picnics with the family etc. I think this will be much more suitable. I’ll fast Tuesday and Thursday at work and then be free! Feeling like it might just work!

Hi All, it’s the end of my first fast day ever and I found it totally doable (surprisingly). I ate loads yesterday so not sure if that made it easier but today I had : 8 sticks of celery, an m and s pho soup (312) and 1 Thai fish cake to take me to 500. :-).

I have about 30lbs to lose and am considering doing low carb on feast days, although I don’t excersise really so need to do this to see any difference I think.

So excited for this journey and desperate to feel confident in my body again!!

Love seeing this thread and all of you doing this with me!

Started my 1st fast day today. 0% fromage frais with a banana for breakfast. Fish and green beans for lunch. 2 kiwis. Apple for a snak. Bowl of homemade soup this evening. Small portion 0% fromage frais. I dont think i went over 500 cals. But how can i be sure?
    How often should i weigh myself? 2nd fast day on thursday

I started today a fast on my own today. Then as I was surfing around i found this site and decided to give it a try.
    Its been a good day so far. I have always noticed that eating breakfast makes me hungry.

Coming to the end of my first fast day. That was purgatory! Cold feet most of the day. Went to the pictures in the afternoon (The Theory of Everything – great film).
    Missed my normal Ben and Jerry’s – so proud that I looked ’em in the eye and said “No!”. My wife didn’t exactly help, munching on pick n’ mix (still it was her treat day. She does Weight Watchers) And so to bed, looking forward to tomorrow’s breakfast!!!!!!!!!!

hi just had my 1st fast day today going to do the 2 days back to back, and see how i go. i take encouraged from all the post’s on here. thanks to all i’m sure it helps.
    ellecram it may be worth going on line to look at a cal. counter but dont get disheatened as other benefits are probably working.

I’m ready to start my second fast day tomorrow. Looking forward to it. So much easier knowing just what I’m going to eat. I hate planning meals. Good night all.

Hi Deetees, you did well, congrats. Saying no to food items gets easier when the scales move down. I too get cold on fast days, our weather didn’t help yeaterday. But you did it! If that is the worst you feel then you are moving forwards. Let us know how you get on next time. At least you now know what to expect.

Starting my second day. Made it through dance class this morning. I was surprised to lose another 1 1/2 pounds this morning even though I ate yesterday. That’s 4 1/2 since Monday. Makes me happy. On fast day I eat several small meals. Seems to work for me. Stayed around 400 calories.

Made it through fast day yesterday. Lost 5 pounds so far. Tomorrow will be day 3.

Hi everyone I fasted on tuesday and Thursday but I haven’t really lost anything. How often should i weigh myself and how much should i be losing each week? It seems everyone on the forum is loing really quickly. I was so motivated but I’m starting to feel a bit demoralised. How many calories should i have on non fast days?

I fasted last Monday, Wednesday & Friday and lost 6 pounds. I don’t expect that every week as the first week is usually the biggest loss. I usually weigh after each fast day. I had 400 calories on fast day. I want to lose 15 more pounds. Don’t give up. Just keep going.

This is my first day as well. I’ve read all of your posts. Thanks so much! Sounds like most of you are in UK or Australia, one of you in France? I’m in the US…(still have to convert your kilos :)) Anyway, when I’ve fasted in the past, or striven to fast more, I’ve begun fine, finish my 500 calories early — by 10:00 AM–and then around 6:30-7:30-8:30 stalk the kitchen and have something when all I needed to do was make it past that hour and go to sleep :). Tips? But now I’m officially doing the 5:2 which has lots of appeal (haven’t gotten the book yet), and hopefully, with some accountability and tracking, I’ll do better :). I don’t have much to lose but I do want the benefits of both weight loss and spiritual growth — for others in mind and also for myself. So I’ve eaten 500 cals in protein bar and green smoothie—and now to make it to sleep time!

For the writer who mentioned not sleeping. That has been issue with me in past. I think magnesium tablets really help (mag/zinc); the adrenals, I believe, get a little work out when fasting and this seems to help balance cortisol levels, if I remember correctly.

What do you find particularly helpful in the book?

How do you get past the nite hours of wanting to eat–besides staying busy…?

Thanks all. Go, go, go, and with help from above, we can all do this!

Hi everyone
    A idol thanks for your encouragement. Ill keep going! How many calories should i have on non fast days?
    Is it best to have 400 cals on fast days? Thought it was 500?
    Karenrose : yes i live in france, but born in the UK!
    I would love to lose 20kgs (approx 36lbs) so long road ahead

I can’t say if 4 or 5oo calories is better. I’m just not a very active person so I stay between 4 & 500.
    The book says to eat what you want on feasting day. But I’m going to try eating less than usual on those days. Weekends are bad for me so I’ll have to make up for it during the week. Tomorrow will be my 4th fasting day. I’m ready for it. I don’t get hungry till late in the day so I have my meals later. Makes it easier to get through those evening hours.

My first day today , got a big headache and feeling extra cold ..

Half way through my 4th fast. Yes, I get cold too. Just grab a blanket. The headache will get better.
    I played computer games all day. Keeps me from thinking of food. Went to my dance class this morning and didn’t even feel weak. Didn’t eat before I went. Dinner will be a 200 calorie can of soup with broccoli & canned peaches for a snack later. And I had a boiled egg white today. Just remember you can eat tomorrow.

Just completed my first fast day. Feeling good, though have been very cold, especially my feet!! Had a brisk 3 mile walk this morning. I had porridge and blueberries for breakfast at 8.30, and chicken and lots of green veg at 6.30. Only had mild hunger pangs mid afternoon, but drinking plenty of water, and had 2 mugs of coffee. I’m retired, so will need to keep busy so I don’t give in to hunger. Next fast day will be Friday. Good luck all other newbies

Hi all,
    I’m new so here goes… Tomorrow I start my first fast!
    Your all inspirational!
    I will let you know how it goes

First day today…just finishing a month of being alcohol free, and wanted a new challenge to help reduce weight. My mum has lots loads on this – and is based in the UK and will be visiting me in Australia in 4 weeks time, so I hope to have lost some cm’s by then. I have 25 kilos to lose so am hoping to do this all year, so if there is a forum for people planning on doing this for 2015..I would like to join

Hi I did my 1st day yesterday and 2nd today.As I’m usually always looking for food evenings I’m amazed at my willpower.Long may it last !

I am currently on my first day from fasting. I was doing good until about 40 minutes ago. I think I’d had too much caffeine because I’m jittery! I, along with others, am feeling a little cold, but it could be the cold water I’m drinking. I think on my next fast day I’ll bring some lemons or mint for warm water. Does anyone have any tips to get through the first couple fasts? I’m about to have like 5 almonds to get myself through the day…however I guess I don’t have 3 more hours until my evening meal…I CAN DO THIS!

Hi Freya,
    I just wanted to let you know that the fasting does get easier. My first few weeks I felt so dreadful on fast days (cold, tired, irritable, NAUSEOUS) and I used to trawl through these posts reading about all these people looking forward to their fast days and feeling brilliant on them, which just made me feel even worse.
    Anyway I am not going to say that I look forward to them or that I feel brilliant on them, but all the horrible side effects have gone and your body does get used to it. I no longer feel dreadful on fast days and can even exercise (absolutely unheard of at the start – I could barely stand) It’s absolutely fine to have a few almonds to get yourself through the day. Some fast days are harder than others – the important thing to do is to try not to do a 10pm pig out – remember the last hours of the fast after dinner and when you go to bed, are the most effective.
    More importantly it does actually work (despite my problem of constantly over-eating on my non-fast days). I started on 24th October so just over 3 months ago and have lost 1 stone 2 lbs (16lbs) so an average of 1 lb a week.
    I find a hot bath at night is nice to warm you up. Good luck! 🙂

PS. Sorry and completely didn’t answer your question…. how to get through the first couple of fasts… SOUP SOUP SOUP. You can have about 3 bowls and it keeps you full. With chicken if possible. Or PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN!

I agree with mcca, soup is the way to go. I’m into my second week. I fast Monday, Wednesday & Friday and am getting used to it. My weekend was bad & I gained a pound but I was back on fast Monday morning. Hope to lose that pound plus. Stick with it. It does get easier and you will lose weight.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I was in a really crap place when I wrote that but those feelings really only lasted like 2 hours then I was fine! I did find myself inclined to snack after dinner though so I thought about what you said and stopped myself! I woke up this morning not very hungry so I took that as a great sign! I’m having a protein shake with almond milk for breakfast this morning and feel awesome. I’m kind of excited for my second day! Thanks again!

A idol – Do you prefer broth based soups? Or blended soups? I found I was craving soup yesterday…maybe because I felt like I could drink broth and all my problems would go away haha How do you like fasting 3 days a week? I’m anticipating my second day but excited for the challenge!

Hi mb186, I had a headache for a few days and was drinking plenty of water etc… I read somewhere that the fasting can mean you are lacking in salt…. I salted my soup generously & my headache went! Worth a try. Or some sparkling mineral waters (eg San pellegrino) are very high in sodium and these seem to work for me too. Good luck!

Hi Freya, how are you getting on? I have been generally fasting 3 days a week since October (I think to be honest if I could only eat less on my non-fast days, I would have had the same result. Unfortunately I suffer from a tricky condition called ‘being very greedy’….). But overall 1.5 lbs a week lost. Like any diet, the weight loss slows after the first few weeks. But I am determined… My ‘baby weight’ has now been there for 10 years and that excuse is wearing thin! (No pun intended!). Determined to get to a reasonable weight before I hit 40!

Hi A idol, wow your weight loss is amazing!!!! Has it continued at that pace? Wondering if I can boost my losses in some way – do you monitor your intake on non fast days? I find it’s hard having the kids treat foods around the house! Christmas and it was all chocolate pennies… Easter to get through next!!

Starting my 6 fast day. Almost 2 weeks now. Still fasting 3 days a week. I did lose that pound I gained last weekend. A new weekend coming up & I plan to do better. I don’t count calories on eating day but do keep track in my head. I am sticking with soup for now. Easier with canned soup as calories are on the label. I get 200 calorie a can soup & eat half twice a day. I also like to add cooked broccoli to it. I use clam chowder & cream of potato soup. In between I have a can of sugar free peaches through out the day. And maybe a boiled egg white or two. I don’t get hungry at all. I don’t eat till late afternoon. Just water or diet cola. I just need to control my eating days Better.

4 weeks in and i find fast days easier. In fact i’m automatically eater less on my normal days too, not through choice, i’m just not hungry, and i was always hungry! Lost 5kg so far (11pounds) and pretty pleased with that! Really enjoying this ‘diet’ feel like its the best one for me and i know i can stick at it.

Fast Day 1 was tough – mild headache – but I picked up after having a coffee mid afternoon.

Fast Day 2 much easier but still felt a little fed up.

My weight is fluctuating wildly. Pigged out the day after Fast Day 1 which didn’t register on the scales until the day after.

Hardest bit for me is just before bed – going to bed hungry is not great for sleep so I have to save some calories for a pre-bedtime snack. I’ve just had scrambled egg to finish my second fast day, but this means only 400 calories for the rest of the day – although this actually isn’t that hard. Just drank lots of tea, coffee and Fresh veggie juice.

Also tough is that unless I’m busy, I seem to be constantly thinking about food. Juicy, succulent burgers, steaming mounds of spicy curry, battered fish and chips……:-P

Luckily I have 2 local friends who are also just starting this diet so we’re keeping each other going.

Almost through with my 3rd week. 3 fast days a week. It does get easier and I actually look forward to fast day. I have lost 8 pounds so far. For me, canned soup is the way to go. Last night before bed time I was hungry but held off. I don’t usually get hungry. This is one diet I seem to be able to stick with. I’m trying to improve on eating day.

6 weeks in and i’ve lost 7.5 kilos. So happy loving this ‘diet’.

It’s been 2 months now and I’m still fasting 3 days a week. I’ve lost 11 pounds. It’s slow but sure.

Android tutorial for all level students. Learn creating different Apps from scratch. Build Apps. Subtitles being added.

I’ve lost 17 pounds now. Been 4 1/2 months. So used to it. Love this diet.

I started on sunday night…
    first food on tues am ..found it easy.Even cooked dinner for family..
    had loads of nrg Monday night ..looking forward to this ..good luck all

It does get easier believe me.
    Sometimes i do a fast day without intending to, i just get to the evening and realise i’ve only had about 300 calories. So i have a small dinner and thats a fast day ticked off for that week! I love an unintentional fast day!

Can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I started having 3 fast days a week. I wanted to lose 15 pounds. Lost 20 instead. Now I’m holding there. If I go up a couple pounds I have a fast day. Usually I have 3 or 4 fast days a month. I’m enjoying being slimmer. Merry Christmas to all.

My second fast day yesterday , doing Monday and Thursday! I’ve done so much reading to prepare for the long hall and hope I can stick with it . Fast days I’ve decided to apply the house cleaning to keep busy – we are on a holiday break now so I’ll incorporate it with my cleaning – sooo Monday’s and Thursday’s the house looks clean , my body is screaming yeah and my satisfaction sitting in a clean house says wow!

Summer is here so more walking , ocean swims and wine ( love that combination)!

Hi there, I am also new to this way of eating. Looking forward to sharing ideas/recipes and strategies for being successful on this diet.

4 stone lost now since Jan. Best plan ever and so easy to maintain.

Can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I had 20 pounds to lose. Have now reached my goal and am maintaining. I still fast 2-3 days a month. Merry Christmas everyone. Here’s wishing you all reach your goal in 2016.

Viewing 46 posts - 51 through 96 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply.