Day 1 of fasting= failure

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Day 1 of fasting= failure

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Welshylarue 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• So I decided to start with a fast today, and was trying to stay under the 500 recommended calories. I thought I was doing great but by dinnertime I was starving. I ended up eating 730 calories today. So should I just accept it and move on to a non fast day tomorrow, or try to fast again tomorrow? I’ve been so tired and grouchy today. That will get better as I adjust right? Any tips on getting through the fast days?

730 cals is still pretty light, so well done!

It gets better, most of us fasters find the first fast (ok, maybe the first couple of fasts!) a difficult, and then it gets better.

Just fast the other scheduled day, but may be not tomorrow, to give yourself a bit of a break.

And as for tips, many on the forum, but I have found the following really helpful for my journey:

1. Plan, Plan and Plan ! plan your food, drinks, exercise and day in general for a fast day, the day before. Even a general plan something like, I will eat my first meal at 10 am and my second meal at 6 pm. I will walk for 30 mins at lunchtime and work on filing to keep busy at work. the days that I don’t plan, my fasting feels like a painful suffering.
    2. Keep carbs at a minimum or not at all. Eating toast (or even the healthier oats) makes me really hungry through the day. “Wakes the beast” of hunger, so to speak. SO for example, hard-boiled egg but no toast. Lots of vegetables, some protein.
    3. If you like coffee or tea, use that for hunger suppression, but without sugar and if possible, without milk.
    4. Drink lots and lots of water.
    5. Tell your body you are not depriving it, but giving it a rest from constant work (digestion is a lot of work for the body after all!)
    6. Do not shop for food or watch cookery shows on a fast day!
    I hope this helps,
    Good luck!

Hi Asbandr, the fasts really do get easier so stick with it. The first few can be a bit rough, but like Lotus said, planning is key, and water is a huge help.

Lotus, thanks for the tips, found these really helpful.

Good luck with the day x

Thanks for the input. I still have alot to learn about this diet, but I plan to continue. I’ve eaten normally today, even having lunch out. I have a question though, I went to the gym and burned about 250 calories. Should I eat them back or let it be? My tdee is about 1600 (I’m rather sloth like these days) so that’s about what I’ve eaten ttoday. I’m trying to be positive about this, but I’ve tried so many other things that haven’t worked. I’d lose 5 or maybe 10 lbs here or there, and gain them back, seemingly within a week or two. So another question: we all know they say it’s harder to lose when you have less to lose, but how does this diet hold true to that? I only have about 20 lbs I want to lose but I’m worried I’ll initially lose a few and then not lose anymore.

Hi Asbandr and welcome:

Your exercise is included in your TDEE so you do not eat back exercise calories.

Here are some tips that may help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I’m the same! I’ve done 2 fasts (first week) and both days I’ve gone over 500 calories. Second day I ended on 625…….should I now be more careful on my non fasting days?? Ive got 8 weeks to lose 10lbs ideally xx

I gets easier!! Eventually you actually look forward to the fast days as unbelievable as it sounds. Concentrate on eating filling low calorie foods like eggs! They are my best friend on fast days! Cutting out carbs on those days also makes you less hungry I think. I don’t eat breakfast, have a couple of coffees and save my calories for lunch and dinner. If I have enough calories left I have a cheeky hot chocolate before bed! Eventually you find what works for you! Keep busy helps too! I would draw a line under that fast day and enjoy your non fast days, that’s the beauty of this diet. I don’t count calories on my off days, eat out, drink wine! I bet you will find you still loose weight! Good luck!

That is not a failure. That is still a lot less than you would have eaten normally. My first week I went over both FD and still lost 2lbs! Dont foret to look at all the positives, even when you feel it’s a bad day.

Think of this week as your “breaking in” period. It gets you used to the way of thinking, of what works for you, how to structure your day etc and then next week you are going to be super strict. That’s how I did it. Personally, i do 4:3 and I don’t eat anything till dinner at 8pm (slightly earlier on Mondays due to exercise class). Other people eat earlier, other people eat nothing at all. Learn the way your body reacts to foods. I agree with the earlier tips though
    * lots to drink
    * keep busy
    * plan, plan, plan
    * reduce carbs (on NFD too)

If you have a bad day, accept it and move on. I had an awful week last week (boyfriends birthday!) but I can’t change that, so I’ll just focus on fixing it this week instead.

Good luck with it-it def gets easier and you genuinely do start to look forward to fasting (no, I didn’t believe that at the start either!)

Welshy xXx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.