Could ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS be causing my weight gain/plateau?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Could ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS be causing my weight gain/plateau?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nama 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi all

I lost 6.5kg (14.5 pounds) really easily in about 5 weeks. Then all of a sudden I plateaued & even put on about 2 kg (5 pounds) despite adding an extra 1-2 fast days a week!!!

I couldn’t work out what was going on. I’ve just realised that one difference was that I started drinking up to 2 litres a day of diet cordial. Previously I’d been drinking water with lemon). Could this be causing my weight gain, followed by my plateau?

I know there’s been some concerns that artificial sweeteners still trigger an insulin response.

I’d love to know what other people’s thoughts on this are & to hear from other people who might have experienced this.

Hello ChicitaGatita,

There is a lot of controversy in relation to artificial sweeteners. However, in my case at least, they have not been a hinderance at all. Quite the opposite, they are my best friends! I have lost so far 10,5 kgs in 8 weeks and I have now a BMI of 20, so I was not that obese to start with. I have found that doing exercise on fasting days really helps, as well as drinking water and herbal tea (with lots of artificial sweeteners, btw) only. I have also had my fair share of good eating along the way with my son’s and my birthday and some holidays in France to account for! But proper fasting, together with keeping a food diary on feeding days, has been of tremendous help.
    Hope this is useful and don’t torture yourself over artificially sweetened drinks!

Hi MMP.

Thanks for replying 🙂

I’m really glad artificial sweeteners work for you. My gut sense after being back on a fast day with no artificial sweeteners (AS) is that AS does have a detrimental effect on me. I think it must be something genetically different between those who like you don’t seem to have any adverse effects and thise like me who do.

Of course one day doesn’t prove anything but ai was really interested to note the following while free from AS today while fasting:
    – NO cravings for food (!)
    – My tummy felt emptier (I can’t explain this sensation properly)
    – I had HEAPS more energy
    – My mood was significantly improved
    – My mind felt sharper

I know it’s only one day, however, these are the feelings/experiences I had when I first started fasting and I haven’t experienced these since drinking excessive amounts of diet drinks.

I’ll keep posting here to record (for my own interest) what continues to happen.

P.S. 10.5kg in 8 weeks is AMAZING! And a BMI of 20. Well done you! 🙂

This website really helped me understand that if my body reacts to artificial sweeteners by producing insulin then there is no way I’ll lose weight by drinking diet drinks all day.

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/up-close-and-personal-with-the-hormone-insulin/

Study showing that artificial sweeteners can cause rise in insulin:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130529190728.htm

This study shows that one particular AS creates the same insulin response as sugar:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2887500

I think many people just feel it is immoral to indulge in non-caloric sweets, and this is the genesis of lots of anti-AS assertions and studies. But certainly, it would be better not to use them, especially in large quantities, as there is always some risk with chemicals. I wonder too about your “diet cordial”, since your drinking so much, if it’s truly zero cal. I’m always suspicious of labels myself. If an artificial sweetener really caused secretion of insulin like sugar does, then it would cause hypoglycemia and this should be readily apparent. I’ve eaten large quantities of Splenda with virtually zero carbohydrates without any apparent ill effects at all.

Taste is mostly about avoiding poisons. Over our long hunter-gatherer evolutionary period, there would have been no need for the body to get any advance warning of an incoming sugar bomb and so I suspect there isn’t any actual connection between taste and blood glucose regulation. Glucose itself isn’t very sweet and simple starch, which is quickly converted to glucose isn’t sweet at all, so obviously sweetness is a poor indicator of incoming glycemic load.

Plateaus are normal and probably caused by the fact that as you lose weight your TDEE also goes down and metabolism may also respond. My mother suffered them in the 50s. I’ve lost 60 pounds, and I’ve gone thru numerous multi-month long plateaus in the process. In some cases I simply started losing again for no reasons that I know, in others I had to institute another round of “budget” cuts.

Hi all. I’m posting this in a few threads so forgive me if you’ve already seen this post:

I’VE WORKED OUT WHAT CAUSED MY PLATEAU FOLLOWED BY WEIGHT GAIN!!!!

I easily lost 7 kg in 6 weeks. Then one week I noticed I hadn’t dropped any weight. No probs – prob just a bad weigh in. Nope. The second week I was up about 1 kg. Third week up another 3kg. WTF!!!!

On Sat night I realised that the ONLY thing that had changed was that I started drinking 1-3 litres a day of diet cordial. So as of then I haven’t had any artificial sweeteners. Today is the end of 2 back to back fast days and I’m down from 71.3 to 67.3!!!!! Can’t wait to weigh in tomorrow.

Of course some of that is water loss but it’s astounding.

In addition my mind feels more alert & sharper, my tummy feels emptier, I’m not constantly craving food, I have heaps of energy, my mood is great. I thought I was just getting tired of fasting but it was the side effects of artificial sweeteners!

DISCLAIMER: I know some people consume heaps of artificial sweeteners and it doesn’t effect their weight loss progress.

Hi CG

I was interested to read your experience with AS as I had a similar, tho briefer one. Have not had time to read your references above but plan to as this interests me. I was given a BIG volume of strawberries recently and when they started to deteriorate with age (and I didn’t have time to make jam) I thought I was very clever in setting them in some lo cal jelly! This was yummy and as the weather was hot, I devoured them over a couple of days. That week, my previously excellent losses suddenly stopped. But resumed very well the following week.

A few weeks later, exactly the same thing happened. The strawberry fairy visited again and I consumed the excess set in lo cal jelly, again over a few days. (Strawberries are healthy aren’t they?). Again, no loss that week, but a really good one the next, jelly free, one! This is the only way I have eaten AS, so there is a definite link for me. Perhaps as you suggest, some people are vulnerable and others are not.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it!
    Cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.