Clothes could maketh the fat man – or the man look fat.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Clothes could maketh the fat man – or the man look fat.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Flutterbuzz 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• OK I’m 56, male, and at least 2 stone overweight for far too long. I started 5:2 (Mon/Thurs) 3 weeks ago and lost 9lbs (4kgs) so far without exercising too much (averagely active). Aim was 1 stone (6.5 kgs) by Christmas so if the momentum continues I should be ahead of target. I’ll up the exercise soon.

But I was the type to wear size 38 inch waist trousers and dupe myself into thinking because I don’t need 40 inch waist it’s all OK. Then in the mirror I noticed how my gut was developing a vertical crease as it started to grow and fold its way sideways. Things needed to change.

So this is the thing: even with the weight loss my clothes still seem to feel the same – tight. The gut looks the same size (though maybe a little firmer without the crease) and shoulders and chest still feel too full. So I’m wondering how much weight one has to lose before it has a noticeable effect on clothing across the body?

Flutterbuzz,

That’s a question that only you will be able to answer with time I’m afraid! We’re all different.

It can take the body a bit of time to catch up with the weight loss (shrink to fit), particularly if you’ve been overweight for a long time. You’ve made a great start, you just need to be patient!

I don’t know what you weigh, or what your goal weight is, but the advice now is that you should aim for a waist measurement of half your height to reduce health risks. Might be a useful goal in addition to the weight? On the assumption of course that you aren’t actually 6 ft 4…?

Thanks for replying. I was beginning to think no one wore clothes! You are right about waiting but just curious if there was a kind of average or where it took people a loss of two stones etc before a difference was seen. I mean it’s how we accumulate weight to begin with isn’t it, by not noticing how much we are gaining. From now on the scales will be my friend.

I started with a BMI of 32, now down to 30.5. So probably changes on the inside but little on the out.

I’m 5′ 11″ ish (180cm) with a round the belly button measurement of 47.5″ (120cm), clearly that’s 2/3 of my height so a long way to go. But I now see how easily one can deceive by still being able to wear a trouser waist measurement of 38″.

Despite what the experts say, that I should be 166lbs (nearly 12 stone), I’m kind of heavier built (muscular thighs and calves, wide shoulders, Neanderthal bones etc) so I suppose my ultimate target is 13 stone (180 pounds or 82kgs). From there I can decide if less is more etc.

Anyway, picking up a fancy set of Beurer digital scales with an eye level display from Argos tomorrow to make this a bit more accurate. With eyesight not what it was, trying to read the mechanical scale means bending forward which also distorts the reading. And if I’ve lost 4lbs at the end of the week and not only 3lb, I want to know it.

BTW – I’ve never actually seen any of my bones.

Posh new digital scales = depressing. Actually 2kgs (now 101kgs) heavier than I thought also = at least one week probably two away from target weight.

Entering my fourth week, all my recent positivity went out of the window yesterday as it started to feel like an endurance. So I convinced myself I’m like a marathon runner who’s hit the wall – there’s a long way to go but I’ve just got to get through the tough times.

There was even one moment when I was in deep thought walking through the kitchen from the garden when I realised I’d actually taken two crackers out of the tin and one was touching my lips. Eating is so automatic.

Seems to be a forum for women. Any men posting?

Anyway, according to my posh scales I’m down another 1/2 kilo. Which is nice. Back on it tomorrow.

In my experience there is a time lapse between losing weight and getting smaller. I’ve lost nearly 5 stones and the times when I’ve noticed getting smaller have been when the scales haven’t shifted so I’ve measured my waist or tried something on that was previously too tight as I was depressed that my weight wasn’t dropping!

Amazon: I’m not at that stage yet – the trying something on that was too tight stage. Though I tried a soft woollen cardy on the other day and still looked daft. I’m very happy to still be losing weight but would very much like to start looking like it. 5 stone’s some shift so I’ll take your word for it and give it another go when the scales get stuck.

It’s odd though that if I’ve got the propensity to store a slab of fat around my gut more than elsewhere I’d expect that to be the first place where it would go from but it must be a gradual loss from everywhere, drip by drip by drip, leaving me with a little pot belly at the end. And there was me thinking I could develop a six pack.

Flutterbuzz,

I’m 58 and lost about 65 pounds a couple years ago, but couldn’t get rid of my gut. From what I have read, what I’m seeing is probably loose skin that won’t shrink back to where it belongs; at my age it has lost its elasticity. The fix is either have surgery to remove it or just live with it (which is what I’m doing).

Having tried and failed at doing crunches because I’m too lazy to keep it up, I’m now doing planking every day and wearing one of those electronic fitness belts for 30 minutes every night. Been doing both for about 8 weeks but so far haven’t noticed a change.

I hope you find something that works for you. I wish you great success with your weight loss and fitness goals.

Bronx

Cheers Bronx. If that happens to me and all else fails I’ll cut the slack off (well not actually me you understand). Sounds gross but I suppose it’s like tucking a shirt in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.