Aussie from Fremantle Australia. Day 1

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mangosteen 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Hi everyone, I’m 65yrs YOUNG & keep myself busy with gardening, catching up with my girlfriends & volunteering. Well today’s the day, & so far so good. It’s 11.30am & I am feeling good. I had a green tea this morning & nothing else so far. For dinner tonight I might have an Egg, with 1/2 tin baked beans. At least things go back to a normal day tomorrow. My husband is also going to start the programme, so it will be interesting to see how things progress with us both. The problem is that we all want to loose the weight quickly, & as we know, that’s fine, but most of the time it comes back on + a few extra unwanted kilos. Well it’s only onwards & upwards from here. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Grey Nomad, my 1st day too as a 63 yo from Sydney. My Husband didn’t start with me today, but says he will start. So much easier if you work on things together. I just hope the weight falls off as quickly as it came on !!! Good luck.

Hi Ladies,
    I’m starting on Thursday. I want to try and work out exactly what we can eat on the fasting days. I’mm 55 and in the Wollongong, NSW area. Feeling very excited for us all! Good luck!

Hi Everyone, I’m about to start on Friday. Too much happening on other days including donating plasma tomorrow so that puts today and tomorrow out to start for me. I’m going for Friday and Sunday at the moment. Are any of you going to do 2 days in a row? Grey Nomad and nanna0077 good luck, hope you’re both going well. Keep us informed on your progress. I’m very much like you Miss Lizzie C. I’m also 55 years old but in Victoria. I would love to lose 7-8kgs before summer if possible but I don’t care how long it takes. I’ve just been counting kilojoules to work out what I’ll eat. 2092Kj’s in a day should be ok to achieve. I wish you all the best and hope you achieve your goals ahead of time! All the best

I meant kjs not kg in a day lol

Hi Mango.,
    I can’t seem to find any simple idea for what to eat. I always think if I know in advance what we’ll be eating there is less chance of fouling up. Plus my family will be doing it, too, so I have to know what to give the school-aged daughter. I’ve been on the net all arvo trying to figure out what to feed us. No doubt there’s advice here somewhere. The meal for the evening is fine, but when and what else is my main concern. Any ideas anyone?
    Thank you! 🙂

Hi Miss Lizzie
    If you buy Mimi’s Fast Day Recipe book and Kate Harrison’s 5:2 Recipe book you will be set.(Booktopia, online)
    When we started last year we often had a small egg omolette with a thin slice of ham, a small tomato or mushroom and fresh herbs for breakfast. For lunch we had clear veg soup or a couple of low cal small veggie patties (Bite Me brand sold in IGA) with lettuce and a tomato.
    For dinner a small piece of fish with lettuce, tomato or steam up lots of green leafy veg with onion, garlic, chilli. Add some capers for fun. Drink soda water in a wine glass.
    The trick is bulky, flavoursome, but low cal. Cut out alcohol, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cheese and sugars. It leaves lean protein and leafy veg and lots of herbs and spices. You end up with some fabulous food that will astound your visitors taste bud. Mushrooms, strawberries and blueberries are brilliant too.
    We lost a kilo a week from the beginning eating this way. After a few months my husband dropped lunch, and I dropped breakfast. Now we usually save all our calories for the evening meal. Only drink water and black coffee and tea all day. We find it easier eating nothing than a small amount and the extra calories at dinner (we only have about 350 on a fast day) help to get to sleep.
    It becomes a way of life, but definitely requires effort and planning.
    All the best, PVE

Hello Aussies all, I’ve been inspired to get on with getting it off, especially when I measured my waist and hips! OMG!!! how it creeps on when you’re not looking!!.Anyway have fasted before, Once on 3 lots of fresh pressed juice and water – stayed on it for 10 days (supervised by naturopath) was a remarkable experience. Have not done something similar for years, but think that 2 days on a mere 500 calories each day will be easy. So am beginning tomorrow.

I’m in the same boat as you Miss Lizzie but I’ve already ordered the Fast Diet, Fast Diet Cookbook and the Fast Exercise books so I’m hoping I’ll learn lots from them when they arrive. I’m not waiting for them to start though. I’ll manage for a couple of days doing my own thing hopefully. I’ll need the extra ideas to sustain the fast days though. Sorry I’m not much help yet. Search through other threads to find more ideas from others who’ve been doing it for awhile. Thanks for your ideas Purple Vegie Eater too. It’s a big learning curve for us all no doubt at the start but by joves I’m so looking forward to this journey. I know it’s going to be great for us all.

I see that I have no idea how this forum works! Just pick a thread and jump on?
    Anyway, in case any other 5:2-er is interested – Day 1 and the fast was easy. Lots of water and a Miso Broth + Kelp evening pick-me-up. I have been out dancing – two hours of vigorous exercise and feel great. I shall definitely complete two days of relative fast.
    I have googled “recipes 500 calorie meals” and found some stunning possibilities, many of which are quite easy to do. They are all in single portion amounts.
    Hope to keep in touch with you all as you cruise through the new way of eating healthy.

Yay, 25 hours into my first fast day and I’m going to keep going for as long as I can to make it the two days. All is great so far. Drinking lots of water and a few cups of white tea. Fruit and puffed rice for breakfast this morning and two poached eggs on a whole meal toast for a very late lunch. This is going to be very achievable for me. I hope you all find it easy too!

I look forward to hearing how you are all going!

Pleased you are so excited Mangosteen. Well done.
    Consider not eating bread on fast days. It is a bit of a waste of calories and can make you hungrier. Look up the calorie count on various foods. A whole heap of lettuce and some tomatoes is much more filling and takes time to eat. Carbs like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta are empty calories. Go for lovely fresh veg to fill you up. They will sustain you. Egg and fish are great protein for fast days, too. Have a look at veg patties or some felafels too. Cheers PVE

Well done Carmen. I love your dancing exercise!
    Why are you doing 2 days fasting or do you mean 36 hours (dinner, fast day, breakfast?) When you start, it is easier to do, say, Monday and Thursday fast, with two normal days between. Be kind to yourself. It takes time to change habits.
    You are right, there are some fabulous dishes around and you end up changing how you eat on normal days as your taste for healthy eating just increases. All the best. PVE

Thanks PVE, all suggestions taken on board. I am so excited. I know it’s early days and it might be too early but I couldn’t resist weighing myself again this morning. 1.1Kg gone (2.4lbs) I went for basically 1.5 days to see how I’d go. It was easy for me and I know I’ll manage it again next week. I hope you are all having great results…can’t wait to hear!
    I am looking forward to reading my books when they arrive to give me more ideas to mix up my fast meals. Have a great day everyone!

Hi everyone, Another Aussie about to give this a go. I think Sunday Night’s segment got us all interested. I am reading as much as I can and will probably start on the weekend (my hubby is working this weekend so no distractions!) Looking forward to seeing how we all go!

Good luck SezzyR!!! Hope you reach your goals 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.