Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 14,786 total)

• CG I’m usually the boringly normal patient whose thyroid behaves with the right meds and BP is good and so on but today it seemed as if everything was haywire. Told her about 5:2 and she’s going to look into it and the scales showed the results. When I last had these tests done I weighed in at around 65ks, today I weighed in at 58.4 (up 300 since last Tuesday weigh in) so she was impressed with that at least. Her solution was at least 40mins ‘real’ exercise 5 days – she doesn’t count the 1 day slog at cleaning or the other two I run around like a mad thing beside the three I do. In her defence I didn’t talk about what has been happening the last few weeks including a death, my brother’s stroke, nephew’s cancer and so on so, just couldn’t be bothered.

GG I did fast at least 12 hours as it was Monday I had the tests done and a FD day for me. Was a bit too stunned to remember all the numbers she was throwing at me. I honestly haven’t been hitting the sweet stuff, have a savoury tooth so I’m at a loss to know why sugars got into the act. First time this has happened. Have very little processed food, can’t think of any that I’ve had at the moment LOL. Love fruit and vegies, had first steak for about a month last night usually stick to chicken, fish occasional lamb cutlet. She has booked me in for another test in 3 months time, meanwhile I guess I’ll start hitting the porridge (yuk) and walking. Thanks for taking time to talk to me about it, was feeling kind of down. Abject apologies for the nursie thing, promise not to do it again xxxYY

Hi All!
    WOW – congrats to all you amazing losers, CG, Bali, BD, Gypsy, CM (.1 is still a loss!) and Doggy (you have come down to a plateau and your system is just resetting itself before you start losing again..no worries!). Exciting times for you all πŸ™‚
    Suejen – enjoy you birthday and the lovely time you will have, you have the right attitude and will be straight back on track.
    Lotus – big hello right back at ya! I too live in small friendly rural area near little village and love it. Your warm personality would fit right in. Love your name because it reminds me of one of my daughters whose name in Irish means ‘little flower’.
    Yum – can’t offer any advice on medical issues but totally agree that you should not have been spoken to like that, there’s no need for it and you don’t deserve it! Keep up the good work on 5:2 and I’m sure all will be well.
    Hope the cricket doesn’t cause a row on this thread, ladies!! It will be very exciting I’m sure and I hope both teams do themselves justice. Enjoy!

Yumyum you have had a lot on you plate, you poor thing, no wonder things are out of whack for you. Take it easy friend and put you first. You can’t solve everything as much as your heart breaks you are still human and need time out. Stress is a big issue and shows in many ways even when we think we are coping. See if she’ll do a test sooner and let her know you’re worried and want it rechecked. Maybe that will be one less thing to worry about. Try to be relaxed and go on a calm day if possible when you are not rushed. Take care, our best to you πŸ™‚ CG xxx

YumYum – I’m a stress head when it comes to medical stuff. I completely agree with CG. Get another test done sooner. One question though. When they took blood, had you been fasting recently – that is apart from the 8hr overnight fast prior to the blood test?? Apparently, if you have, or you fast longer than 8hrs, this can negatively affect blood test results. Also you should still drink water while fasting prior to your bloods being taken for the same reason. I only know this because I was given a stern lecture about it one day when I had fasted too long & hadn’t drunk anything. Sure you already know all this.. But just in case I thought I’d mention it. All the best. CM xx

Hi, thank you ladies for all your encouragement and words of wisdom. Much appreciated.

I am feeling more in control today after fasting yesterday. I even tried on the jeans that don’t fit. I couldn’t do them up last week and now I can, just.

There is still no way I could actually wear them anywhere yet but it is progress! My middle is my difficult bit and the last to shift.

I looked online as suggested and yes, it looks like I could get something delivered for a reasonable price.
    Yes, this adventure is only temporary, I am here until mid June but have high expectations of myself. It is rainy today and a top of 9 but that is “warm”. Tomorrow it will be back to 3 and snow but at least it is above zero which it has not often been yet!I will be walking to the supermarket and the gym today so that will keep me active.

Lotus, I have forgotten where you are but I know what you mean. I have spent a lot of my life in the country but live in the city normally now. I also am envious when I read about these ladies in the country. I am so enjoying my own taste of the country now even if it is short and sweet.

Congratulations to Fit, exciting to finally get there and an inspiration to the rest of us. Keep up the good work everyone. It’s nice to be back!

Good morning all

Yum, you poor thing!! Do take care my friend. The WW salad sounds good and at 35 cals it’s a bargain! , but I have found some success avoiding sweet stuff, as then less hunger after a savoury snack… Can’t let go off the craving for sweets tho, every now and then :)and bread … Mmmm…. Might stock some fruit salad tubs and seeded breaded today….
    Charlie – every gram counts!!
    Fit – thank you for the kind words, I would love to be called a little flower too… I live in Sydney and yesterday I was watching out of the office window when there was all this talk of the country idyll. Could not have had a bigger contrast! But having said that I see that rural people, in every country, work really hard and overcome so much in terms of nature’s vagaries… So hats off to you all guys and girls.

Good morning team Happy Saturday to you all. Make the most of it. It’s YOUR day to do as you wish. Kick up your heels, laugh, eat drink and be as light hearted as you can (without getting arrested πŸ™‚ ) You have worked all week for this, you have earned it, so enjoy. Don’t be hard on yourself. Yes, portion control, food choices DO go a long way, but your conscience will guide you, or the guilt will tap you on the shoulder πŸ™‚ but lighten up on yourself. I’m meeting a friend for lunch, no hold bars, life is for living! Tomorrow I’ll be a bit more cautious then fast again Monday, don’t cha just luv our 5:2? And…. Don’t follow a path….make some tracks… πŸ™‚ CG xxxxxx

Morning All

Have spent a few hours reading the posts and then developed my ability to skim read…welcome to the new members, a tear, a laugh and congratulations are the things that the postings brought to me this morning… go guys go – fantastic for sharing.

Thought I would share hoping it might helps some people. I have an underactive thyroid and struggle.

I have been MIA as I really fell off the rails a couple of weeks ago – a whole week of mindless eating. I realised that the allergies/hayfever was taking it’s toll and eventually went to the Chemist for some medication. Don’t like taking medication all the time so the reluctance to take anything was overcome with the need. Put on around 2kgs in the process and was annoyed with myself. BUT there are positives in the things that I realised or learnt.

1. Tea will fill you up better than a cup of coffee (instant)
    2. Yes you can start again (continue)
    3. You do need to count your cals.
    4. Create a set of menus (500 cals) that you can use (I don’t like cooking)
    5. The tapemeasure might not show changes but the clothes do
    6. If you weight yourself in the morning – wait at lease 5 minutes before hopping on the scales (do a test – jump out of bed, go to the toilet, weigh yourself … wait a few minutes and try again … you will probably read lower by a bit…) let me know if this works for you.
    7. I need exercise

So I’m back to where I started a few weeks ago – below the 80kgs and on my journey.

A question please – I take a number of vitamins and minerals tablets in the morning … do they have many calories?

Will catch up again next weekend – thank you for sharing.

Jen welcome back, and thank you for your well written post. Don’t let guilt control your 5:2. We have all zigzagged and 2k’s is nothing to worry about. You are back on track now and that’s all that matters. I take 11 tabs every day, half from Dr. The rest are vit’s calcium, etc and wether they have cals or not, they are necessary for my well being.
    When I was nursing or training we had a lecture on nutrition. I asked about multi vits and was told all they give you are very expensive urine! I think with ageing the body needs them, I was 23 at the time so a long time ago. I don’t think the body retains as much as we age, could be wrong, but glucosamine and the like, magnesium are all necessary. Even if a lot is lost in urine, we still absorb what is needed. Golly, really on my soap box, sorry, if you get help or feel better with what you take, don’t worry about cals, they would be so insignificant it wont matter.
    Stay on track, we are all here for you, YOU ARE NOT ALONE ..CG xxx

CG with your permission today I’m officially off duty …. taking time out to smell my lovlely Murrayas in bloom again. With the front windows open the scent wafting through the house is gorgeous. Plus the sun is shining .. again and OH is going to take me grocery shopping (O joy O rapture!!) because he’s finally worked out that I’m rather close to the ground and can’t actually see the back of his you beaut new car. Come to that I’ve never been able to do that in any of our cars but this must be his age showing and learning about the madness of shopping centre car parks. Haven’t had an accident or even bump before but this must be how he is acting out his stress to the last few weeks.
    Best bit, I get my own new car on Monday. Whacko, anticipation just setting in πŸ™‚
    CharliesM I learnt to do the fasting/water thing a few tests ago so it wasn’t that. Just think I’m all out of whack at the moment. Good thought tho, thanks.
    Lotus I don’t often want sweet things but I needed fruit after dinner last Tuesday so I found the WW’s fruit salad pot just right. Only a big sweeter than fresh fruit and we often don’t have enough cals for fresh left at the end of the day. Miss a bread roll with soup too on FD’s, big craving.
    Thanks Fit, realise I don’t need to compromise you all with actual medical advice, just general ballpark friends advice. Good to be able to rant a bit sometimes.
    Hmmmmmm. Getting the hang of these long posts, sorry everyone πŸ™‚

Greetings all. I’ve had an exhausting day with my little red hot chilli Pepper. I took him to puppy school this morning. He howled in the car as he doesn’t like to be restrained in the car. Yeh right, all I need is a pup under my feet while I’m driving. Then he went ballistic with excitement when he met up with the othe pups. The vet said he had enough energy to jump start a car! So Im sure I burned up some stress related calories.
    Jen I dont enjoy cooking either. I’ve found that Lean Cuisine make some quite acceptable meals and not too high in calories. I also found some Spiral instant miso soup at the local supermarket. Also low in calories. Birds Eye steamed fish fillets are good too. I agree with CG re the magnesium. I also take clatrate as I don’t want to develop osteoporosis. I personally don’t take vitamins but don’t think they have much in the way of calories. Unless they are. sugar coated.
    Have a good weekend folks and remember to be kind to yourselves and give yourself some “me” time.
    Cheers Doggy

Yumyum, so pleased for you, as women, workers Mothers or wives, we do sometimes forget to LIVE and smell the roses, take our time, ignore pressing (non urgent) issues. I really hope you enjoy your day, even a coffee with OH whilst shopping…good on you..CG xxxx

Hi Doggy, maybe your little bloke will settle once you have him “fixed” it usually helps to quiet them down after some time. On the positive side, think of the cals you burnt! πŸ™‚ Happy days they aren’t puppies for long….looking forward to tomorrows game, getting ready for a day off in front of the telly πŸ™‚ …CG xxx

Hi All!!
    So happy to have my daughter home for a month. Had lovely meal out with OH and my two girls. It was a brilliant evening just the four of us….and I didn’t do any lasting damage on the scales either! Win/win πŸ™‚
    Jenmic – so good to have you back. We all have bad patches and live to tell the tale. I had total blow-out over Christmas, CG had the plateau blues for weeks and I’m sure there are lots of others with similar stories. The good news is that this WOL is very forgiving and we can get back on track and see the results if we stick at it long enough. Posting here definitely helped me, so I’m glad you’re back with us. You have lots of wisdom in your post, so you know you will get there. You will find a way to cope with your health issues…other posters will help with that I’m sure. Keep the faith!
    Yum – I know there are plenty of friends here with good medical advice, so take advantage of that. Others like me will try to be good listeners and offer support in any form we can. Rant away…..we can take it! πŸ˜‰ Enjoy your beautiful surroundings and shopping with OH. Best of luck with new car too!!
    Doggy – you must have the patience of a saint with your little Pepper! I’m sure all your hard work with him will pay off in the long run and he will be a faithful and loving companion.
    CG – As always you are the voice of reason and sanity….enjoy the cricket and maybe a glass of something nice!

Yum Yum, I love murraya. I couldn’t grow it where I lived for 15 years so now that I am in Brisbane I have it all around my pool. One of the simple joys in life. Of course, it is snowing today where I am in the U.S so not much chance of me smelling anything. I bought myself some mood reeds!

Doggy, I am missing my 9 month old puppy so much while I am here although he is in good hands. He is a pretty good boy but I did once have a border collie that I took to dog training years ago. I used to run her around in the paddock at 6 months with a baby on my front for an hour before the class and she would still be the most excited and hyperactive dog there.I learned the hard way not to have a dog intended for working as a pet!

Back on the 5/2 track. I took advice from the team and bought some scales yesterday. I have know idea if they are accurate but they seem to be so fingers crossed. They were inexpensive but the drugstore only carried one brand, its own, so I decided to give it a try. Apparently, I am only 400 grams higher than my lowest, so I hope it is right. I wear a Fitbit flex and walked over 15,000 steps yesterday whereas at home I only manage about 7,000 so maybe it is helping. Anyway, I figure that even if it is innacurate I can monitor my weight from that point and see how it goes.

Cheers, all.

Good morning team, very cold now but perfect day on the way..weather wise. BIG BIG day for us cricket lovers, c’mon Aussie c’mon……
    Up you’re right, even if the scales are not accurate they still give you an idea of loss and gain so still a way to keep check. SNOW? It would look so pretty, it does sound like it has been a very long winter over there. Stay warm keep moving for body heat and lots of hot drinks.
    GG will be MIA for a while, family emergency, she will be in touch when possible, love and thought..hugs to you GG xxx
    Well it’s planning day team,have tomorrows fast menu at the ready, boil an egg for the arvo nibble, keep some cals for after dinner if possible for that extra milky coffee or hot chocolate if you need it, I do πŸ™‚
    Don’t waste too much of today thinking of tomorrow, enjoy Sunday as you should, a few minutes of checking for your fast is all you need πŸ™‚
    Have a great day team..RELAX, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
    The tracks I will be making today will be on my comfy chair in the family room watching cricket….with a few nibbles and the odd whiskey and zero….perfect day πŸ™‚ …CG xxxxx

Thanks Uptight and CG re my little terror. He is very cute but hard work as many dog owners know. It’s almost twelve years since I last had a pup so I’d forgotten what hard work they are. CG my vet has advised me to wait until he’s six months before he gets his manhood diminished. He is sleeping better at night though which is a blessing.
    I’ve just made myself some yummy chicken pie (to hell with the calories today) to eat during the cricket. Oh yes and the odd glass of wine too. Tomorrow I’ll be back on the 5:2 and plan to be strict with my TDEE too. I think I tend to be sloppy with that on NF days. I’ve got my meals all sorted. Lotus tofu soup included. Thanks for that it’s very yummy.
    CG is it windy there today? It’s very windy here with a very choppy sea. While out walking this morning I notice some idiots taking off to do some fishing in the bay. It’s so irresponsible to go out in this sort of weather.
    As a matter of interest. Does MFP keep telling you that you are not eating enough? I know it’s only an app but I do get annoyed as I know darn well that I’m eating wholesome, healthy food and it is certainly quite enough. This is not only on my FDs.
    Go Aussies. Cheers doggy.

Hi doggy, yeah I get a bit pee’d with MFP for the same reason, I find if I put bogus things in to make it up to 1000 cals it will give a prediction, but golly it should be modified in this day and age especially with so many diets around.
    I always thought 6 mths was the go but my vet does them as soon as “they” drop, they say it’s better for the pup and less stressful, had my last three done that early with no ill effects.
    Yes definitely go Aussie, I’m getting as much done as possible before the game too so I can sit guilty free and NO it’s not overly windy, bit of a breeze but the MCG can so often have it’s own weather with winds or breezes, very sunny and good temp.
    Enjoy Doggy!….CG xx

Fit appreciate the support, did feel good to rant after sucking it up for a few weeks and just getting on with it. Our autumn is beautiful here in the West but our gardens and wildlife are hanging out for a bit of rain. Doesn’t usually get going until around Anzac Day (25th April) when there is a slide into colder weather. We think our throat is cut when we get days between 15 – 17 deg (C) maximums! πŸ™‚

Up I reckon I’d be doing a lot more walking if I was there too. How interesting to see from the ground the countryside and watch another lifestyle. I know you are not in what we term a ‘foreign’ country but still see some things on TV and movies and think, only in America!! They probably think the same about me!!! I’ve got two murrayas along the fence by my pool too and they are also just coming into bloom. Only recently learned they are native to Queensland and a member of the citrus family so fertilized them accordingly and they are going great guns.

Bet you get lots of sloppy kisses Doggie from Pepper. Love the smell of puppy breath kisses.
    CG enjoy the cricket and the rest today.
    Lotus, found the soups and will give them a go tomorrow. YY xx

Yumyum glad you’re looking after yourself. I have 4 Marrayas but always called them mock oranges. I have one which I hedge as it grows so big just outside my bedroom window, the perfume is magnificant I put a “perfumed” garden there, gardinias, daphney etc…it’s beautiful coming into my bedroom, also when I walk in through the side gate, as you brush past the shrubs, oh so beautiful. Just love nature.
    Have a great day team, be good to yourself πŸ™‚ you deserve it! CG xxx

Hi again. CG & other cricket lovers. I was hoping for a nail biting contest. I hope that this is not going to be a walkover. It’s sure looking like it at this time.
    XX Doggy.

CG sounds like the 6 I have in a semi-circle at the house end of our front garden bed which gives privacy to what used to be my daughter’s bedroom. They seem to blossom in tandem so the perfume lasts for quite awhile. I open front door and other windows and it flows thru the whole house and even down the side and into the laundry door. I also planted some magnolias up the front walk close to the house and two in elevated pots bordering this area and when they flower I get a sweet bubble gum smell which, compared to the murrayas, is quite subtle and lovely.

Don’t forget Doggie that our fellas can get a bit cocky and relax when ahead so you may get your nail biting bit yet. xxYY

Hi team, yes very low score but so was our last game and that was a real nail biter at the end. Could have gone either way.
    Yum I have a port wine magnolia at my front door, again same reason, Mum had one ourside my bedroom window when I was a little girl, she used to call it The Juicy Fruit plant πŸ™‚ …all memories we carry for a life time…CG
    Our turn to bat , yahoooo! Better go get the washing in, tallk later.. CG xxx

CG. Hmm I was hoping for a more entertaining match.
    Yum Yum , CG & others. Your gardens and plants sound lovely. I have a gorgeous Daphne and my neighbour has a Boronia. Beautifully fragrant. I also get the lovely smell of ozone from the sea. Nice smells can bring back wonderful memories.
    OK Back to the cricket.
    Cheers Woof Woof.

WOOOHOOOOO WE DID IT…C’MON AUSSIE C’MON WOOOHOOOOO

Hi All!
    Love this time of year here as spring flowers all coming out. I have a mock orange too beside my patio but we don’t often get the weather to enjoy sitting out and enjoying the fragrance. Just now my favourite flowers are coming out – wild primroses. Their delicate perfume reminds me so much of my childhood when we used to collect them in bunches and make posies out of them. Now they are not so abundant and so are protected, but if I see them on the roadside, I always stop to breathe in the scent and I’m immediately transported back to when I was a child. What a powerful thing is the sense of smell!
    Doggy – you are right about puppies taking alot of time and energy in the early days, but you are making progress and it will all be worth it in the end.
    Hope everyone enjoyed the cricket – just watching it here with my hubby who recorded it overnight. Seems a bit one-sided at the moment but NZ are perking up a bit now. I’ll catch up with your side of the globe soon!!
    Yum – don’t think you’d survive in my neck of the woods – the temp has averaged between 0 and 10 degrees since before Chrismas!!
    Best of luck to all with fast days etc this coming week πŸ™‚

Oops!! Looks like our posts crossed, CG! Well done to aussies and hard luck to NZs. Better not tell my OH that I know the result!! πŸ˜‰

Hi team! the Aussies won πŸ™‚ and thinking you Kiwis too. It was a good game, and Clarke’s last one day, which he played well.
    Hi Jen! Sound advice in your post. Have to try wait and weigh tip. I jump straight on scales after brushing teeth etc, I might just have a bit extra loss with this tip πŸ™‚
    Love the smell of gardenias and jasmine creepers… Same childhood associations, though oddly my sister can’t stand either ( gets migraines from them!)
    FD tomorrow – chickpea salad for lunch, not sure about dinner…

Hi All, my husband “slept” all night with earphones listening to the cricket as we couldn’t watch it over here.
    Yes, snow. Currently 11 am and minus 2! I love gardens. Over here I can see bulbs peeping through, well they were before yesterday’s snow and rhododendrons too. How anything can grow in this climate is beyond me! Yes, it has been a harsh and long winter and friends are complaining that the deer are eating everything as a result!
    Doggie,I would have waited until 6 months too but the breeder did it straight away. Protecting their business I suspect. I was concerned so checked with the vet before I got him. Studies haven’t shown any ill effects and of course, the RSPCA does it all the time. All that energy is mainly down to being a puppy no doubt anyway.I wish I could bore you all with photos of the mischief mine gets into!
    Back to 5/2 I am happy with the scales and am looking forward to tomorrow’s fast. It is hard to believe that happens isn’t it? I find I am not nearly as hungry anymore anyway. Our stomachs must shrink a bit. Last fast day, I made a slightly bigger lunch than usual and couldn’t finish it! I usually have an egg, cherry tomatoes and some chives and onion cottage cheese mixed up into a salad. The eggs I bought here were a bit smaller so I put in two. Didn’t even go back to it later and ended up throwing it out. Go figure!

Good luck with your fast Up! Glad you bought the scales and back into it now…

Hi all

Sorry we didn’t put up a better fight in the cricket – a bit of a walkover in the end. But the best team won, congratulations, Aussie! At least our boys made the final for the first time, so can be proud of their achievements.

Lovely autumn day here, but end of our financial year tomorrow so rushing to try and get client tax returns filed by then.

I must get my freesia bulbs planted, they are starting to sprout in the packet.

Good luck, everyone, and well done with the losses reported πŸ™‚

Good morning, Barata no shame at all for your team, to get to the final is a major achievement….and it can go either way on the day.
    Fast day for most of us, we all know what to expect. Our planning is done so it’s smooth sailing all day. No water aerobics today, just so sore all over, feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, might even suspend my membership till ofter my op. Haven’t been over doing things as I know from the past, that doesn’t help..whinge whinge..sorry.
    Beautiful Autumn weather for this week predicted so get out and enjoy if you can, if you are working, go for a walk at lunch time, it’s just too good to miss.
    Have a great day team, all challenges you come across make you into the person you are, YOU CAN DO IT, no matter what you are up against….CG xxxx

Hello team. Congrats Aussies. Barata, the Kiwis put up a good fight & it was great to see them getting to the finals, by beating South Africa (pity ). The Aussie bowlers were just too good. At least you have the All Blacks who just seem indestructible.
    FD here too. I’m going to be more careful on my NFD too this week. I do tend to overindulge at times, then get dissapointed when the scales don’t move. Go figure, Margaret!
    CG , sorry to read that you are sore today again. I take it that it’s still the B spinal thing. Be kind to yourself.
    Must be off. A very kind neighbour is just popping round to fix a contraption at the top of the stairs so that Pepper doesn’t get under my feet and trip me up.
    Happy dieting and hang in there.
    Doggy

Morning all ADers. Was tempted to skip this FD but when I dressed I realised that I’m doing up my bras two notches firmer than before! Just hadn’t noticed and haven’t been keeping track of my measurements so it was motivation to push on today. Also decided to weigh in first thing (after the bra thing) and have dropped the 300 I was up Friday over the weekend despite not counting TDEE at all. Go figure.

CG my magnolias outside the front door are also the Port Wine variety and Juicy Fruit chewies is a perfect description. Don’t have any luck with gardenias unfortunately.

You’re right Fit, think I would just curl up into a cold little ball in your neck of the woods. It does get cold here, just not to that extent or for that long.

Up I took a leaf out of CG’s book and bought a small entrΓ©e size plate and now eat off that.

GG thoughts and hugs wherever you are. YY xx

Yumyum the small bowls we use for Asian cooking are great too, often on special at Safeway, so small portions don’t get lost and you still feel like you’re having a good size meal “by vision” it works too. …: πŸ™‚ CG xxx
    Great for soups, stews, stirfry, etc xxx

Morning everyone. Good to read all your posts but haven’t gone too far back – it takes sooo long. Had a very celebratory foodie weekend (wasn’t my birthday but a bestie’s birthday bash in Perth). Had a lovely time…but I was in feasting mode all weekend I reckon!! But not even going to think about that as it was all so yummy and just get back onto the wagon. Let’s see what I get after 2 fasts this week. It’s funny how 5:2 is just so easy to slip back into – do you find? Have gourmeted all weekend, but then you hit Monday & it’s back to our WOL without a drama!
    CG & YY OH and I have been eating off entree plates for a long time and I don’t think I could eat a full-size meal on a dinner plate any more? Does really help you adjust. Initially I would find myself piling food up to fit it on. Then I thought No that’s stupid so I need to start cooking/preparing less. Now it’s automatic.
    CG sorry that your pain is back in full force. Be kind to yourself and manage it the best you can. And keep your positive attitude that always shines through (well I HOPE you don’t keep that just for us, but spread a little into your own life too!!).
    Dogie you expressed my thoughts really well re overindulging and then spitting the dummy over the scales. Yes go figure Sue!!! So TDEE it is this week for sure.
    Have a great FD all (or almost all I suspect) suejen

Hi Everyone,

All your weekends sound lovely. We hosted my playgroup friends here for a Spanish dinner that was way too much food. Everyone was overexcited about the recipes and we could have fed 20 rather than 10. Lucky that the kids are now all teenagers and help eat the leftovers.

Doggie, I don’t have a dog but when our cat was a kitten he was very high energy. We had to put a lock on our bedroom door to stop him turning the handle and coming in to play during the night. He still brings us toys as gifts and his foil ball to play fetch with but at least he isn’t climbing us like trees. And being “fixed” wasn’t what made the difference unfortunately; getting past his 12 month “teen” time slowed him down slightly.

YumYum,my thyroid is also dodgy. Has 5:2 helped with keeping TSH (and energy levels) on track? I’ve only been doing this three weeks so far so not sure how I feel yet. Still getting used to the fasting. Does anyone else here have Hashimoto’s and/or RA? Today tired and sore but still fasting. Tinned soup is a wonderful thing!

Cheers,

BD

Hi all, no time to read all posts, but just checking in to say hello (and get a dose of determination) before setting off again. Easter with my grandkids,(2 teenagers) and the boy is 15 and topping 6 foot. An eating machine! who drools over ‘Nan’s baked potato’s’ and anything else in sight!

Plus my younger son is joining us and he ALWAYS needs fattening (The Tennis coach). The girl is 18 and tiny, a finicky eater, also hangs out for special dishes . So I’ll be tempted to pick while I shovel food into them for a week (while Mum works). My elder boy’s widow is tall but reed slim and definitely needs spoiling too! So chocolates, puddings, the lot! OMG! It’s been so long since I’ve had them all in my clutches! I will love every minute! So don’t feel sorry for me if I put on a ton, 5:2 will fix it! Plus they are planning to take me pushbike riding in the park. I’ll probably disgrace myself by falling off! haven’t ridden other than a motorbike for 30yrs, but the challenge is on!

CG sorry to hear you’ve got pain again, hope that doesn’t mean your injection didn’t work. Glad they won the cricket for you tho. take care, mate.

Best wishes to everyone for a happy Easter! Keep up the good work. We can all do it! I will be taking a supply of miso soup and slendier (konjac) noodles on my travels, so versatile! try them combined with some protein, like prawns, fish or chicken, add garlic or Chinese /other spices. yum! The angel hair and fettuccine konjac are good, too, only 8 to 10 cals, really satisfy by bulking up a small meal, or just added to miso soup . I found the whole range at Woolworths in the health food section. Am presently cooking to stock OH up with frozen dinners as he’s happy to have the hut to himself for a blokes convention (footy, fishing, pub) and no one watching his chocky binge! diabetic heaven! Ah, well, I’ll fix it all next moon. Cheers! Gypsy

All the best Gypsy! Safe travels and Happy Easter πŸ™‚

Hi All!
    CG – so sorry to hear your pain relief was short lived but hope you find things improve soon with rest and being kind to yourself. You are wise enough to listen to your body so only do what you need to and let the rest go hang!! Please send my love and warmest regards to GG, I hope her family troubles are not too serious.
    Barata – well done to NZ in cricket, getting to final is indeed great achievement. Enjoy your planting, just love freesias, their scent is beautiful, I had them in my wedding bouquet so they always bring me happy memories.
    Yum – well done on your loss, don’t knock it! This WOL can be a mystery at times when clothes feel and fit better even though scales and measuring tape don’t seem to register a difference.
    BD – good on ya for sticking to to 5:2 despite health issues. I’m sure someone here will have some insight or wisdom to offer you, but I also think you are giving yourself the best chance to be healthy by losing weight and eating well. Take care and best of luck this week.
    Gypsy – what a wonderful family you have and how lucky they are to have you!! Supergran πŸ™‚ Enjoy your family get together. I love your attitude and find it hilarious that you are more at home on a motor bike than a push bike! Brilliant!!
    Suejen, Lotus, Doggy, Up and everyone else on this thread….have a great week and a lovely Easter. Xx

Good morning team, Fit, thankyou for the kind words. I’ll be looking after myself, especially the next few days. Body aching all over, horrid taste in the mouth, sore throat, blocked sinus and just all over awful. I haven’t had a cold/ flu for absolute years but you never forget the symptoms, so rest rest rest, and treat the symptoms.
    GG’s dad has had a heart attach, he’s in his 90’s so you can imagine the worry the family is going through. I’m not contacting her at this time as her time will be well spent with family. I’m sure she will contact us all in due course, and we all send her our love and hugs.
    BD that IS the beauty of this WOE, come Monday, back on track and all is forgiven
    Suejen, same with you, we have to live our life normally, family friends aand never go without so you’ll be fine
    Gypsy, you are a wonder, high pressure still, one family member to the next and I bet you’re loving it, have a ball and stay safe
    Up, your new life style is so worth enjoying, don’t be too hard on yourself, 5:2 will work into what ever you do, but remember to enjoy the novilty of being somewhere different.
    Okay team, time for a shower, clear the head, warmth on the aching body, have a lovely day team, fasting or not, this is OUR WOE and WOL, enjoy what comes across your path, use your sense of humour, it’s what has gotten me through so much over the years πŸ™‚ there is always a funny side to things…and be kind to yourself, YOU are very important… πŸ™‚ CG xxxxx

Hi team…again, my daughter has ordered me to have a “sloth day” on the couch πŸ™‚ so will as the energy level is pretty low. Yesterday I struggled with chills, unusual for me on fast days, but burning cheeks, then nausea and eventually threw up a few times. Last night after a healthy dinner of fresh fish, mashed cauliflower tad of sour cream, mix of peas beans corn… lost some of that too…so had a hot chocolate, all milk and a couple of choc biscuits, weird but it’s what I craved, thinking that’s blown my fast.and it stayed down and I enjoyed it……last week sat on 77.7k, down to 77.0 Friday up to 77.9 Sunday….and today 76.4k yahoooo.
    Seeing 76k on my scales is something I haven’t seen in over 30 years, can’t believe it, now that lifted the mood. πŸ™‚ very happy (sick) little vegemite!
    Happy day to you all…CG xxx

Hi team. I started this a good four hours ago. I’d just finished and somehow must have clicked the wrong dingbat and I was taken off to another site completely. Grr. Anyhow I’m back now.
    CG I’ll bet you picked up that flu bug while in Melbourne. I’m afraid that those of us who don’t live in cities just don’t build up the immunity to the bugs going round. Every time I go overseas I seem to spend the first week or so with the flu. Nothing like an aeroplane for spreading germs. Ayhow do take care of yourself & get well soon.
    For those of you who have been on the 5:2 for a while. – would you mind sharing with us some of the meals you have on NFD’s. I do know about low GI foods etc, but I know some of you enjoy cooking so I’m really interested.
    I’m really impressed wiht the way the 5:2 works on cognitive skills, mood elevation etc. I had a really good FD yesterday and was certainly into Ketosis.Today I’m feeling very chirpy and happy with life. Plus the fact that Pepper slept till 0550. I actually got anxious and got up to see if he was still breathing. Talk about the new mum syndrome!
    Cheers all and have a good day. Doggy.

Hi doggy, totally understand about new mum syndrome hehehe, how gorgeous.
    On non fast days most of my evening meals are the way we USED to eat, meat and three veg, and instead of a sandwich for lunch I have it on a plate, ham and salad, egg (salad) with lettuce etc cutting out bread totally. I use a lot of herbs too, chicken breast with a sprinkle of Sumac or lemon pepper and lemon juice squeezed over it and dry fry in the oven, I have a lot of stirfrys but add cashews for that extra taste and a bit of cornflour to thicken it, casseroles are easy in the slow cooker, the one I taught my son was, diced meat, or chicken, tin of soup, chic-beef and veg, then a couple of large handfuls of mixed frozen veg plus a sliced onion, different every time, east to work out cals with MFP and to freeze in portions, have with noodles even a potatoes if NFD…tonight chicken breast, gravy and frozen chip, mix veg…remember the portion size is the most important….hope some of that helps doggy, but it’s pretty much just normal eating…even the occasional roast!….CG πŸ™‚ xxx

Hi Doggy, I eat pretty much like CG.
    I do eat low carb so lately I have been having mashed cauliflower instead of potato and sometimes bolognaise sauce with mashed pumpkin rather than spaghetti but generally just protein and vegetables although tomorrow will be curry with rice. Like CG, I have the occasional roast too. And I always have wine!

For lunch I like to have corn thins but I put on them whatever I want like avocado,tasty cheese,etc. Sometimes a salad with some kind of protein. I like balsamic dressing but will have olive oil sometimes.

I don’t usually eat breakfast due to no appetite but if I am hungry for some reason, I will eat a small handful of peanuts or maybe some cottage cheese. For some reason I love cottage cheese and would eat it all day if I could. I don’t count TDEE just eat what I consider to be normally except that I usually don’t have bread and no margarine or butter. I don’t stress about any of it and if I want dessert occasionally I will have it although that is usually when I am out. Not much of a sweet tooth.
    Hope this helps.

CG A sloth day sounds just right for you at the moment. Keep up the fluids even if its chocolate milk, anything chocolate works for me it I’m feeling poorly.
    On non-fast days I just watch the carbs otherwise eating as normal.
    Doggy – enjoying reading about Pepper. I would love another dog but have an old cat who wouldn’t!

Doggy, Non FD today and this is what I will eat, to start with answers for you ( I am interested to know too from others…) – Brekkie – Soy linseed toast with butter and vegemite, chocolate bar for morning tea(non-scheduled naughtiness) Lunch- brown rice salad, roast chicken, roast pumpkin, dinner : Indian cottage cheese and pea curry, two Rotis (Indian flat bread). on the calorie counting app (I use Noom) , it works out to about 1400 cals. So for me, a non fast-day is similar food as fast day, but with added carbs.

Oh and a pear and persimmon for fruit, through the day sometime, but before 7 PM

From the above posts, I think I can understand why my weight loss is a bit less than spectacular sometimes, way too much carb! So thanks for asking the question doggy, I will try and re-think my non-FD food too now.

Lotus, I still steer away from anything white…carbs, and use low cal milk, cheese etc.
    But pretty much normal eating, sometimes a cocky ot even a Baileys..yum..with evening coffee if the mood hits but have found portion size is the over all answer…you can eat what you like but a smaller portions.. My appetite is just so small these days and that definitely helps. Every so often I get the nibbles and nothing satisfies but rarely these days. I have two whiskeys and zero most days, I was a wine drinker but cals from sugar are so high. I don’t ever feel like I’m on a diet as variety is always available, even a sausage roll with veg for dinner but now have only one which I find is plenty. I adore pastry but have cut back a lot. When I make them I use chicken or turkey mince too. I still maintain portion size is the key…smaller plate…but eat normally but less…CG xxx

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.