Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,351 through 11,400 (of 14,786 total)

• Hi everyone and thanks Bert for the link…it was funny. My pants are feeling decidedly loose and i dont need to unbutton any of them anymore. That must mean i am nearly ready to go down another size. Ive already gone down by one size. This morning i went from 123.3 to 122 so bounced back pretty much to where i was on Sunday apart from 0.2. FD went well yesterday and today i decided to give that cauliflower rice recipe a whirl with my own twist of course. OMG it was amazing with my steamed fish. I actually felt guilty eating it and had to remind myself it was just veggies.

PH i am glad the scales were good for you and GG i so am with you and this yo yo thing. I wish i could stop weighing daily but it does keep me on task.CG i used to be an avid reader with a few going at a time but dont have a passion for it anymore. I am not sure why. I think time got the better of me and now when i lie in bed i watch a doco on my ipad instead. Glad you feel bouncy SJ. I have reached the end of my work week and feel really tired around the eyes. I had a few early starts this week and a few long nights plus work has been intense as always as its week 1. I wont push my steps tonight as i dont think i could even walk around the block. It was raining this morning when i got up so i could not walk and i picked up my youngest niece (12) from band practice and she and i had a long talk afterwards. That was more important than steps. Ive only just sat down and its 9pm. Normally i would rush out and walk like a mad thing but i am giving myself permission to rest.

Tomorrow is my monthly check in for my medical research at Sydney Uni. I am a guinea pig for the obesity clinic who are doing a trial on 2 supplements.Its really cool. I am monitored for 12 months by a dietician and have blood tests and scans and all sorts of things. Plus they even give me woolworths vouchers. In many ways i take this as my formal weigh in. I also get measured around the waist. My first dexa scan was terrifying and since then i have lost nearly 20kg and been walking like a nutter so i cant wait to see the difference when they do the next scan. Ill try to remember to ask when they are doing that again. I started this in early October and my goal back then was to lose 20kg in the year and i have nearly achieved that in 4 months.

After my check in i am going to lunch and a movie. We are seeing Spotlight…not a happy topic but a must see i think.

Sleep well those in Oz and everyone else have a good day.

Cheers
    Anne

AA, I’m so thrilled to hear about all the ways you have improved your health and stats. It will be wonderful to get objective affirmation of all the right choices you’ve been making. I agree with you about the film, a difficult subject but worth watching all the same. Hope all goes well at Sydney Uni xx

Well just back from almost an hour walk in the evening. Went a bit later than usual but won’t do it again after the dog that decided to run for me. I had a stick thank goodness as I’d heard all the dogs barking around this neighbourhood & he backed off & went home. He was trailing his lead behind him so not sure what the story was there. Lovely and cool though.
    My pilates this morning was only 2 of us YEAH so great for a first class. And so soo sooo different and better. She watches everything like a hawk & adjusts you if you’re not doing it correctly & reminds you of what you should be doing all the time ie draw in those core muscles! On a winner there. Aaand she doesn’t chat chat chat!!!!
    I’m really enjoying the buses for my last few weeks – in fact almost wondering if I want to stop?! But he’ll have found a replacement soon no doubt so then it will be too late. I will keep my name down as a fill-in.
    Had a yummy yummy terriyaki chicken tonight from here: http://forkingfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/teriyaki-chicken.html Only 231 cals then I stirfried capsicum beans & carrots to go with it. It’s a very handy site actually. Has lots of 5:2 recipes but has a handy tab at the side where you can pick meals from 150-250, or 250-350 cals etc. Very useful.
    PH well done on being down to the 97’s. Boy you seem to be rocketing down to me!! Great stuff. Those cucumbers must do the trick do you reckon?!
    Fit so sorry you’ve stirred your shoulder up again. Hope the physio settles it down after a few visits & no more dancing for now I don’t reckon.
    I tried on a couple of dresses this morning that were too tight a while back. They’re fine now & hanging much better. Don’t wear dresses often but nice to have a few. Used to avoid them always as there were too many lumps & bumps! So like others have said something is changing…if not the $$## scales.
    CG you’re right…we CAN have egg noodles just not as much as we USED to have!! Hope you enjoyed them too. Every single mouthful…along with the chicken/mushroom sauce!
    Doggie hope you have the *%#~<>£€Β₯ iPhone sorted and that the house is not blue any more!!!
    GG thank goodness you have good news for OH.

Well onto some serious couch sitting for me after that exercise. And a Jarrah hot choc to finish off the day with at 432 cals plus GALLONS of water. Guess which little bunny will be up during the night at least once!
    All the best for weigh-ins tomorrow. I don’t need to remind everyone what I’m hoping for…probably sick of hearing about it!! suejen XXXX

Well, I’ve decided to abandon my fast today as I’m just too cold and the colder I am, the worse my shoulder is. So I need some food in me to warm me up from the inside. Tried ordinary painkillers again but they had no effect so my sister bringing me stronger ones, hopefully they’ll work enough so that I can get some sleep tonight.
    SJ, that’s great news about your new class working out so well for you. And, even better news about those dresses….woohoo! Don’t start wearing rose tinted glasses about those buses now, remember the bad days too and think of all the fun you’ll have when retired!

Oh FIT. What a bummer about your shoulder. andit was getting a little bit easier. Hopefully the physio can give you some relief. Otherwise you may have to go to the doctor and have an X-ray. Do you think it is just muscle? Anyway Physio should be able to advise. Chuck those scales under the bed for a week and do t be tempted u til the day after fast day. Always a better result. Always goes up when not taken after fast days due to fluid. So give yourself a break love and just concentrate on your MFP and getting your shoulder better. πŸŒ·πŸ’πŸŒΉπŸŒ»πŸ’. Not having a good night again but am about to try agin. Good luck with your Faat Day..YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS . Sending hugs (((πŸ’œ)))

A quick peek and pretty good news from everyone except our bad sleepers – sending sweet dreaming vibes to you PH and Fit. Indeed Fit that is my philosophy too, don’t let a FD pile on if the day is already topped up with pain, misery, spider-webs, etc. Rest that shoulder and have some warm comfort food to help get you through. Oh and big cheers to you SJ for the missing lumps and bumps in the dresses! That’s grrrrreat!! as tony the tiger would say. Will catch up with all the posts later — xxx

We’re a right pair, aren’t we PH? I suppose you’ve tried all the usual remedies…..hot milky drinks, reading, audio books, podcasts, relaxation cd etc? It’s very wearing and debilitating to have poor quality sleep on a regular basis. I really hope things improve for you soon xx
    Jade, I gave in out of desperation rather than sense but maybe I’ll be able to fast tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing from you later.

Fit. Our posts crossed before so my best wishes for FD are officially transferred to whenever you feel up to doing one, good call if your were feeling you could not do it with your shoulder pain.

SJ wonderful news about your class….so great when you get someone who actually cares about doing things properly. And good news about the dresses…..Have a nice day
    GOOD LUCK to everyone who is weighing in today. “May the scales be with you”. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Good morning-evening team….PH what a bummer having all those sleepless nights. It might be time to look into some medication. It doesn’t have to be the BIG guns, just over the counter at the chemist. I got some last year when I was going through the same thing, and they did help, my sleeping pattern did return with the help of decaf or hot chocolate at night….worth a try πŸ€”
    Fit, how awful for you, pain is so debilitating and mood altering, it just doesn’t seem fair. Be it a chill, or muscle, or pinched nerve, you really have to follow through. Your physio should be able to help but your doctor can give you some stronger meds to help it more bareable…….thinking of you sweet one πŸ’• And forget about fasting, you need to get better first πŸ˜‰
    Suejen, how lucky are you, only two in the class, what a bonus, that’s real one on one coaching πŸ˜ƒEven if the class swells, you have been given the proper basics and that’s what counts. I couldn’t get my head around pilates so opted for what I do now, but what you are doing, and GG I think, is so much gentler on the body so is better for youπŸ˜ƒ Well done.
    Jade, how are you going with your bidding, good luck!
    Anne wonderful news on your loss and fancy being monitored along the way πŸ˜€ Your in good hands over all, with the Uni and AUSSIE DETERMINATIONπŸ˜‰πŸŒ·
    Just finishing my hot coffee then shower power coming up to wake up my tired muscles. I’m the oposite to the comon problem at the moment, I need an ejector spring in my bed to get me out, golly, I’m sleeping so heavy these nights of late, it’s lovely, but I stay heavy headed when I get up and takes ages to come too…….oh well, the drive to the pool, then the water AND the noise will have me firing on all sixes before I know itπŸ˜ƒ……good luck for the weighins team, I’ll check mine later, oh my pasta sauce was perfect last night as was the egg pasta BUT per usual, can’t seem to make a small “anything” so have enough for another four meals, so divided it into portion sizes and into the freezer πŸ˜€ I thought using up the mushrooms, chicken breasts and spinach in the freezer would start giving me more room, and now I’m adding more back grrrr, not quite the idea I had! Happy day team
    “Dear past, thankyou for the lessons….Dear future, I am now ready” πŸ˜‰ Think positive team….and if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours πŸ˜ƒπŸ’•xxxxxx

Mornin, CG! I’m seeing the physio in the morning and I know he’ll sort out the problem but I’m not looking forward to it because it’s going to hurt like billyo! Just have to grit my teeth and get on with it though, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! Enjoy the pool etc and have a great day πŸ’•

Morning/evening all. First one to report weigh in and sadly it’s an addition of 500g. I have been so good, not one day did I stray to the pantry!!! May be constipation, I am having Metamucil or that other brand I can’t remember the name of but its the same thing. And maybe I’m not eating enough? I usually stick to 1200 cals NFD and 500 FD. Any ideas anyone? Barb xxx

Barb. Is this the first time you have been up with your weigh in? The last two weeks I have increased slightly and was pissed off but then this week I lost almost a full kg. No rhyme nor reason as have been good most of the time. What is your TDEE? Anyway hang in there. The body retains fluid and of course we become constipated at times so I put my ups and then downs to just that. Eventually it will all work. As CG says. We are in this for the long haul and so just keep the faith and of course your AUSSIE DETERMINATION. πŸ’πŸ’•πŸ’—

Good morning all

I have just returned from the Boden Institute for my official monthly guinea pig visit and i have lost 4kg over the month and 3cm from my waist. For my personal weekly weigh in i have lost 1.4 this week which I am happy with.

My next thing is to lower the LDL cholestrol level which has increased compared to when i was 20kg heavier. Go figure!! The dietician cannot explain this from my diet and lifestyle so feels it could be the steriods. So I now have to add oats and legumes to my diet which i have avoided as they are quite high in calories. So its porridge for brekkie for me from now on. I cook it with water and a pinch of salt and add a teaspoon of my superfood with cacao and a tiny amount of skim milk and it was quite nice. That way i get in 7 serves of veg and a superfood kick in my breakfast and hopefully a reduction in my LDL. Ill also cook up some dal over the weekend which i enjoy. It may be nice with the cauliflower rice.

Congrats to both the weight losers and those who may gain a bit. We only truly lose when we give up. Thanks for the moral support. I havent the website open to reply individually but i have been enjoying reading the positives. Pilates sounds like its worth a try. Now i am concerned about finding a good one!

Anne x

A big congrats AA, what a wonderful achievement. Hi PH my TDEE is 1645 and yes, it’s the first time. The week before last I only lost 100g and was disappointed but then that was the time I went to Sydney with my OH & GS and ate at Penrith Panthers whilst my GS was training then to the funeral and ate my favourite sandwiches…. Egg & leetuce with lashings of mayo. 😁😁. But this time absolutely on track 😒😒 Barb xx

Barb a quarter of your 1200 TDEE is 300 cals for fasting days! So either up your cals on non fast days or lower them when fasting. We tend to under eat when really conscious of our foods and new way of eating. I’ve had to eat more calourie dense foods on non fast days as my appitite is so much less than it was. It’s all trial and error for every individual but stick with it. Try eating up to your natural TDEE just for a week or two and a bit lower maybe 400-450 cals when fasting πŸ˜ƒ
    Annie, learning to go without breakki helps with the longer fast. Introduce oates and “beans” as luncheon meals or into smoothise. Have pulse patties for dinner? Just a suggestion, there is alway a different way to use those foods to fit with your 5:2 day ☺️
    Fit, I know the pleasure and pain effect, I had it with the massage, another due next Friday, but oohh the relief, stay strong, ( they are used to people swearing they tell meπŸ˜‰) but you will feel so much better after it, even a day or two………I hope you get some sleep, it really affects the whole day.
    PH I hope you got some sleep too, the night seems awfully long and lonely doesn’t it….🌷Xx
    I weighed before my shower 72.2k so still happy there, almost close to a 30k loss yippee!πŸ˜„ And my “new small” clothes, jeans and denum short, are starting to slip down, I’m constantly yanking them up! So my shape must be changing again πŸ˜‰
    Well, into the chores, have a lovely day team, and try to find some “me” time, you deserve it 😊🌷xxxxxxxx

Hi CG my TDEE is 1645 I must has missed something there I thought FDs were just 500cals, I didn’t realise they actual related to your TDEE. SO 1/4 of TDEE ON fast days and eat up to 1645 on NFDs. Thanks Barb xx

Hi folks a quick post. Weighed in at 69.6 this morning YEAH!! So now all I have to do is stick to my TDEE in between and exercise portion control so I don’t go back up again too far. Here’s hoping ….well no that’s not true. We don’t just hope we put what we’ve learned with 5:2 into practice!! Staying off the wine for a while and enjoying the sparkle of my sparkling mineral wster.
    Replies to all later after the buses. Fit don’t worry not changing my mind and staying….just having a lovely honeymoon period before I leave. But I DO still remember what brats they can be!!! Suejen xxxx

Hi all……
    What a day……. Well, good news is that after my awful week last week, not only did I lose my 2 lb gain, I also lost an additional 4/10ths of a lb. I’ll call that a win.
    It just goes to show anyone questioning this new wol, that you can stubble for a week, regain your momentum and succeed the next week….. I’m a fan and a true believer, that this indeed does work……
    Okay…. Off the horse!
    For all my wonderful non sleepers, I just read an article that says you can fall asleep in less that 5 min by doing the 4-7-8 routine. Breath in for 4 counts, Hold for 7 counts, then exhale for 8 counts, repeat until asleep! It suppose to calm the nervous system and place the brain and muscles into a relaxed state causing sleep.
    I got to tell you, I did try it; however, I stopped because I felt I was thinking to much to fall asleep but then again, I don’t remember falling asleep. The last thing I remember is saying to my self, how can I fall asleep while engaging my brain in counting.
    Go ahead laugh, because honestly that paragraph is the funniest thing I’ve ever read out loud.
    Did work, I honestly can’t tell you yes, I fell asleep but was it because of the 4-7-8 routine or because I stopped thinking about it….. Who knows, I’m confused now!
    Fit…. Sorry to hear about your shoulder, my knee acts up when it’s cold. Feel better soon.
    Country…. Loved your last statement…. I always thank my past for making me who I am today and thanking the future for who I will become. I wrote a similar poem in my sons graduation book! Simple words that can have such a powerful meaning.
    Okay, well I must be off, I’ve got to bring my seedling in the house for the night. Suppose to be really cold the next couple nights. Yesterday evening about the same time it was 80 degrees today 50 and rainy…. Mother Nature is giving me a run for my money. Gonna have strong upper body by the time it’s done.. Hauling these seedlings in and out the house. Aww! The things we do to ensure a bountiful crop of fruits and veg!

Suehen, woohoo WELL DONE……YOU DID IT πŸ˜ƒπŸŒ· congratulations xxxx
    Bert the counting sounds a good idea, I found 4x4x4 worked the same for me, and whilst counting slowly, you are thinking of nothing else, just concentrating on your own breathing πŸ˜€
    Thanks for acknowledging my sayings, it’s appreciated, and I know they are being read too β˜ΊοΈπŸ’•Xxxxx

And Bert, good luck with your “pampered” seedling too πŸŒ·πŸŒ΅πŸŒ³πŸŒ²πŸŒΎπŸƒ

I dont have any problem skipping breakfast on fast days but on NFDs i like to have breakfast as i need it to cope with my busy job. I need my brain to work properly and with my normal calories of 1550 which is less than my formal calculation, i have no trouble fitting in a porridge which is less than 200 cals with the added superfood. On NFD I mostly try to have around 200-250 for breakfast, around 350-400 for lunch and around 400 for dinner. So without snacks i am at a max of 1050 and often i stop there. I dont go hungry at all as my meals are packed with veg but dont eat pasta, rice and potatoes as a rule and they tend to increase the calorie count. For me they are not worth it. The fish i eat for dinner is around 150-160g but the calorie count is also low as its white fish.

If i want a sugar free bikkie with my cuppa or some low sugar/sugar free chocolate I have plenty of room to move. Moving to sugar free as much as possible has removed my sugar dependency and i no longer crave sugar at all. I found this once when i was on WW. Sugar is certainly addictive and if you can break this habit its very helpful. While sugar free confectionery is not low in calories, the reduction in my sugar addiction is a huge upside. The sugar free shortbreads i buy are 152 calories for 5 biscuits…thats not bad at all. The aldi sugar free Marie biscuits are slightly lower. Its actually hard to find sugar free biscuits. Coles had 2 varieties only. If anyone knows of any good sugar free choices please let me know.

Anyway I am pleased at my progress and think i have a good regime. So far ive lost 20kg since Oct 10 which is pretty good. The 5:2 is a tweak to what i had put in place as the fast tends to lessen the food cravings in the following days and it seems to help my body work better. I think my body uses the spare time to digest whats already there as i have noticed changes the morning after the fast in this regard. Wont go into the toilet related details. In any case my body feels better after the fast.

After 4 fasts i think this is for me. I think it fits with everything else i am doing and my body seems to enjoy the change.

Anne

Annie that’s great, whatever routine works for you is the one to stick with, and 20k lost is an envious amount plus with having less cravings is the key too, you find you stop picking if your meal is satisfying and we all deserve a treat occassionally πŸ˜€Xx

AA you have done great so go with what works for you. If 5:2 has given you added benefits plus the weight loss then run with it!
    Bert I gotta laugh at some of your posts, especially the 4-7-8 conondrum!! I’ll give it a go next time I’m having trouble. Keep hauling those seedlings as you’ll love the results. Nothing like straight from the garden.
    Barb to add my bit to your no loss query: I think you’re eating too little on your NFD’s so you’re not getting the famine/feast effect that works so well with 5:2. It becomes too much like a diet rather than a WOE when you restrict your cals every day. But I’ve had weigh-ins like yours where I’ve been so so good & I’ve gone up. then other times it will come down when I’ve had a bad week & expecting the worst! No rhyme or reason sometimes.
    Fit best of luck with your physio it IS worth the pain but it can be a drawn-out process to recovery. It’s not a frozen shoulder is it? They can be a damn hard to fix.
    HA CG had to laugh at you emptying the freezer…only to fill it up again! But you’ll appreciate those meals one night when you’re worn out or similar.

AA loved your quote it’s soo true especially with our journeys – WE ONLY TRULY LOSE WHEN WE GIVE UP!!! πŸ™‚ Let’s remember team that’s the only thing we can’t do….we can have a bad day, fail at our FD, go over on our NFD, not stick to the day we planned…and a million and one other variations that happen because we’re living a LIFE OUTSIDE OF 5:2…………BUT……………….WE CAN’T GIVE UP! We just get up and get going again. suejen XXXX

Getting more fitβ€”and keeping the pounds offβ€”isn’t a fast or simple procedure, however a couple of basic eating regimen traps can be a major help along the way. Our top choices? Eating bunches of protein, fiber, and solid carbs, which support your digestion system and keep you feeling full throughout the day.

In case you’re not certain how to function these calorie-blazing fixings into your day by day menu, begin with these formulas. They all incorporate no less than one weight reduction superfood, and, best of whatever, they can be made in 30 minutes or l.For details plese visit the following link….http://blurstyle.com

I think it was Bert who said this was her favourite post to read when you weren’t getting results. It is a very funny read from simcoeluv & lots of good comments. So if you haven’t read it/some of it have a read…it’s well worth it. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Also somewhere among the posts was talk about TDEE and BMR saying that you should try to eat on NFD’s EITHER UP TO YOUR TDEE ….BUT NEVER BELOW YOUR BMR (basal metabolic rate). Now I know it all sounds complex but it’s not really. I found this site that calculates the whole lot – TDE BMR BMI etc (the 5:2 site doesn’t give a BMR). This is the site: https://tdeecalculator.net/
    Now I don’t want to confuse anybody but it’s worth knowing how low you can go IF you’re trying to move a plateau or similar & staying below your TDEE. You won’t shift the weight if you’re going below what’s necessary to maintain your basic metabolic rate. For instance I was interested to find that my TDEE with this site was slightly different at 1639 calories per day. My BMR was 1192 calories per day so if I’m trying for a light day I shouldn’t go below about 1200.

It also said this: “Your ideal body weight is estimated to be between 49-55 kg based on the various formulas listed below. These formulas are based on your height and represent averages so don’t take them too seriously.” LOL In your dreams buddy will I ever be anywhere near that!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ More interesting to note that the 4 formulas they use were devised from 1964 to 1983! Not exactly in recent times & don’t reflect the real world! sj XXXX

Hi everyone. For some reason I’ve had to have three or four attempts at logging in today. Patience is not a virtue that I possess. Yes well, OH and the smartphone. He is far less confident with new technology than I am. He tells me I’m very gung-ho. Probably am. Anyhow he’s now gone back to his old laptop and is going to take the iPhone to a IT bloke in the city who can hopefully sort it out for him. I’ve not offered to help as it could be the start of WW3!
    SJ it’s not only my scales that are evil but the demon has now taken over my tape measure too. I’m an insy winsy bit down in grams not kilos but measurements seem to have increased. I was so annoyed that I went into town and bought myself and new glam top with necklace that I really don’t need. It did make me feel better though. It’s a lovely lightweight fabric that doesn’t crease so will be great for travelling. Over many years of travel I try and take the bare minimum of stuff. Everything has to be able to mix and match with other items of clothing. When you have to lug your own suitcase around you soon learn how much you can actually do without. Pity it doesn’t translate to food! My FD went of well yesterday, not that the B scales or measurements showed any evidence.
    Fit I’m sorry you are still in pain. I think you need to forsake your dancing etc until the shoulder and neck pain has decreased significantly.
    Jade I hope you get your new iPad on eBay. I’ve just ordered the final series of Downton Abbey from same. They are so much cheaper than anywhere else.
    XX Doggy

Sue our post crossed. Good grief girl are you trying to boggle my brain now with all this info !! It does look interesting though. I’d love to break this plateau. CG can you remember how long it was that you were on your dreaded plateau? Quite a long time if my memory serves me correctly.
    OK Gotta go. My house is a mess so must go and get myself motivated to tidy up. Ho hum.!

Hello all,
    Have been lurking in the background,for the last 2 weeks, and will post more later, but thought you might like this…..

Love this Japanese Doctor!
    Q: Doctor, I’ve heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
    A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it… Don’t waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
    A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
    A: Can’t think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain…good!

Q: Aren’t fried foods bad for you?
    A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
    A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
    A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
    A: Hey! ‘Round’ is shape!

Well… I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways – Chardonnay in one hand – chocolate in the other – body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO, what a ride!!”

AND……

For those of you who watch what you eat, here’s the final word on nutrition and health. It’s a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
    2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
    3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
    4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
    5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Hi Seahorse, all very funny, thank you for sharing. Are you wanting to stay on board as part of our team? If so welcome πŸ˜ƒ
    Doggy, my 75k platuea was around 10 months I think, possibly breaking all records. I stuck to my two sometimes three fasts every or most weeks, but had two major surgeries during that time so exercise was next to none but it was one of our sister threads who put me right with lowering my fast day cals, and upping my non fast day cals, giving me the feast/ famine effect…..and it worked. I was fine from 95:5k down to 75k then it all just stopped. I knew from so much reading, I must be close to AN ideal weight, but not MY ideal………then the frustration set in……..now at 72:2k this morning, I’m a lot happier and can really see the flatter tummy where I was storing that extra fat. So between my strength training (for oldies 😜) and water aerobics as well as the lack of pain in my spine which I suffered for over 30 years giving me extra movement can now get on with daily chores with …well…”gusto” and all burning cals tooπŸ˜ƒ It’s extremely slow now as Suejen can testify, and think 66-67k would be ideal for me now at 5’4″ with out making me too scraggy! I have seen too many very skinny sickly elderly in my work over the years to ever want to go back to being really skinny, it would look ugly now at my age (65) 😏 As I am no where near as toned as I used to be, and so much is heading south with the help of gravity!πŸ™„ So stick with it my friend, and get moving, I know you walk, and that is the best exercise of all, but with such a long xmas break with visitors and that rotten flu you had for months, probably got a bit behind with your exercise, it does make a difference, we have seen all the morning/evening walkers, the elderly I mean, possibly post heart ops too, but you know the old adage “move it or lose it” and we want to do both….move it AND lose it!πŸ˜€πŸ’•xxxxxxx

Dawg I hit 69.4 on 22/10 about 2 1/2 months ago. It’s seemed like a long time for me but obviously not NEARLY as long as CG’s. But I didn’t have any surgeries or the like or any meds to mess me around. I must admit I was thinking that it was much much longer! So I’d better stop complaining! Good on you for buying that new glam top and necklace….just what you needed!! You’ll feel like a million dollars on the day now.
    CG you sure ARE bloody minded aren’t you OR have a mountain of aussie determination! 10 months…that’s incredible!! No wonder you’re good at motivating us all when you’ve been through a stretch like that. Onya CG πŸ™‚ suejen XXXX

Hi Suejen, my maiden name is Innes, our crest is a bores head, hence being pig headed (bloody minded) our crest says Be Traist =Be Faithful, I’m true to the clan I guess πŸ˜‰πŸ’•xxxxx

What great losses…..well done to each one of you.
    I have not had ANY ALCOHOL now for 12 DAYS …. It’s going well! Plus a great detox using the Nutri bullet….pity that I had to take all of my kale,spinach and rocket back to the supermarkets. So its been kiwis, berries and frozen spinach.coconut water.
    Weigh in today was a surprise of 73.4kgs. I need to step up my exercise.There has not been any house cleaning work as Nursing shifts are taking priority.
    FIT- Sglad to know you are on the mend with your shoulder. It will be uncomfortable after a physio session.
    SJ – is it this Sunday that you meet up with your grandchildren? If so it will be a very precious time.
    I will not be posting for a few days next week ,as I have a wound conference to attend over 2 days.The next few weeks are full on with work related happenings. I also having respiratory tests.
    Keep your AUSSIE DETERMINATION STRONG…YOU ARE ALL WINNERS!
    All the best Hugs…….GO GALXXXXXXX

Hi All!
    Just back from the physio and he used traction and electric pulse type machine to relieve the pain from the crick in my neck. It feels tender now but not as bad as I thought. I have exercises to do each day as well. The painkillers did the trick last night too and I got a good night’s sleep thank God! He said the ballroom dancing exacerbated the problem so I can’t do that until neck is completely better.
    Barb, I think the message is stick with the basics i.e. Eat up to your TDEE on five days and 500 cals or quarter of TDEE on two days. I’m guilty of not eating quarter of my TDEE, so I think I’m going to have to do that to see lasting progress. My TDEE is 1550, so eating 500 cals on fds was just too much. I’m going to give it a real go now because I’m not really getting anywhere at the moment.
    Got to run to look after my sis. I’ll finish my post later xx

Wow Fit you really DID have a pinched nerve – glad you are getting some help with it! And so pleased to hear you finally got a decent night’s sleep. No doubt those ninja dance moves need to be put on ice for a bit, you wild thing.

CG LOVE LOVE your family crest. I’m almost positive mine would be similar. Pigs are very intelligent, you know πŸ™‚ No luck yet at eBay, I am getting outbid but I’m hesitant to bid up because I’m not sure what I want. The latest bid was on an iPad mini. I’m so fickle.

SJ ah, I guess my revolution-of-one is waning, now that the scales have lured you back to their camp πŸ™‚ But you showed them, didn’t you! big congrats on the 60s. Good advice too re how low NOT to go, and thanks for the link, I’m liking my “new” tdee. I really do want to “eat normally” on the 5 days and enjoy my life. Dawg, I like your style! Treating yourself to new clothes is just the thing to shake off the numbers. Don’t let those darn things get to you.

Oops gotta run darn Friday a.m. meeting and me still here in the boonies. You all know you can’t shut me up on the weekends when I’m freed from school πŸ™‚ xxx

Back home from chores for my sister and very sore now….. I guess hoovering not so good for the neck!
    SJ, that’s great news about the 69s….you’re really on your way now! I’m sure you won’t look back once you’ve retired, join the club…it’s bloody marvellous! I hope everything goes as well as possible seeing your GKs this weekend too πŸ˜€πŸ™
    Bert, thanks for the laugh, that was hilarious about you trying out the sleep aid technique but then not remembering whether you fell asleep or not while using it!πŸ˜‚ Great loss too! πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ
    Dawg, don’t let the frustration get to you, it seems to be part of this wol to stall once in a while….just show it who’s boss and keep on keeping on! Love the idea of treating yourself to new top and necklace, good on ya girl! πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘
    Seahorse, thanks for the laughs, hope you decide to join us. Best of luck!
    AA, fantastic losses and stats…..you are doing really well and make very healthy choices in your eating so it will have long term benefits too.πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘
    GG, well done on your abstinence! Hope the conference goes well and that you get some down time too β€οΈπŸ™‚
    Jade, hope you get to kick up your heels this weekend and enjoy a ‘medicinal ‘ glass or two!πŸ˜‰
    CG, you are a great example of how sticking to your guns really pays off….not only have you beaten that plateau but your body shape is seeing lasting improvements too. It’s good for us to remember that there are changes happening on the inside every time we fast, even if the scales aren’t cooperative. πŸ˜€β€οΈπŸ’•
    I’m not bothering to get a second fast this week so my weigh in will be disastrous…..never mind, back on the horse next week! Xx πŸ’‹πŸŒΈπŸŒΌπŸŒΊπŸ’žπŸ’–πŸ’œβ€οΈ

Bert, you are so funny – I too tried your sleep aid last night and it works just like you said! I got tired and mixed up in my counting and that’s the last I remember lol.
    Fit, join the revolution, don’t let the scale tell you anything about disasters, you are doing enough work fighting off the neck gremlins and making sure you have the nourishment to withstand THAT battle. Enjoy TDEEing and tell the scale to go &*(& itself πŸ™‚ xxxx

Jade, maybe that’s how the sleep aid works……you fall asleep from confusion! Ha, ha! πŸ˜€ Hope you have nice relaxing evening planned, I used to love Friday evenings. Put your feet up and enjoy πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‡πŸ·

Buggar buggar buggar……just lost my long morning post grrrrrrr, what a way to start my day sΒ£#%…….
    Can’t remember what I wrote now, Fit stay away from the hovering! You have to get better first, get a book and a comfy chair and just prop! I hope he asked you to come back for extra visits, it may take a few πŸ˜€πŸ’•
    Jade, yes my family crest has sered me well, unknowlingly at times, but my Dad had the same nature, soft but head strong, he was a very clever man, with his hand and did’t let things beat him, he would always nut it out ☺️
    I hope Barb’s counting routine is helping those with sleeping problems, anything is worth trying πŸ˜ƒ
    I slept in again, only to be woken by the phone, I have organised a mobile butcher to come and do my sheep, sad fact of farming, but having Lexie, and her expected “sister” means the sheep must go as I can’t carry them all………….so my kids will get the benefit of lovely spring lamb…..I couldn’t eat them, but they will 😏……I was always told not to name my stock, but they are all four legged people to me and Need a name, so wont end up on MY plate…..
    Have a lovely day team, you deserve to. Enjoy a few treats, a wine, whatever, you are allowed to, and remember, life is to be lived, so get out and be part of it. My day will be on the mower, in my glorious garden, just breathing in nature……beautiful morning and around 30 expected so just perfect πŸ˜€ Suejen, thinking of you and the anticipation/excitement you must be feeling, my heart goes out to you πŸ’•Xxxxxxxx
    Lets hope this doesn’t disappear when I hit submit!

Mornin’ CG! Your body is telling you that you need the rest, so just go with the flow 😴 Also, poor sleep hampers weight loss so if things are moving for you again, it could be because you are sleeping better. Sorry to hear you have to let your sheep go but it’s a wise move on your part. That is a bummer losing a long post, I wish the tech team could sort it out once and for all.
    I just did the chores for my sister, then came home and put my feet up. I have to ring the physio next Tuesday to let him know how I am and see where we go from there. Thanks for your concern and to everyone else too xxxx
    Very apt family crest and motto, CG……sums up all your great qualities πŸ’•πŸ˜€βœŠ

Hi gang….just letting you know that a very special delivery has arrived here in Ireland from our fearless leader in preparation for the WTF reunion, just so I wouldn’t be feeling left out. I won’t spoil the surprise but you will all be thrilled, like me, when you get yoursπŸ˜‰

Glad you liked the post Country Gal and Fittoretire. I would like to join in this thread occasionally if you will have me – just a bit of an introvert in life and online.

After gaining 20+ kg due to inability to excercise (I went from 4 hours daily activity and 64 kg a day to less then 4 hours a week and close to 90kg) I started 5:2 last year but fell off the wagon. Since the new year (not a resolution, but just timing) my husband and I are committed to losing the excess wieght and improving our health longterm. I am walking 10-15000 steps a day, cut out all alcohol and following 4:3, eating 12-1500 a day on food days. I have lost around 3.5kg, am sleeping better, have clear skin and more energy. I plan to follow 4:3 until the end of april and then reassess. I know from the past that I do not lose wieght on a 1200 daily plan, but need a bit less. I am logging food on eating days, but find I rarely eat more then 1400 cals anyway.

I have just been to a PT re my achilles tendonitis – part of my ongoing MS issues. She has given me some wedges and excercises for the next week.

Today is a fast day for me – I have 1 cup of skim milk (in 2 coffees) for breakfast, the occasional miso soup in the afternoon, then a 3350-400 cal dinner on fast days. Lots of water between. I find it easier to only eat one meal a day when fasting.

I admit to being a daily weigher, but Sunday is my official weigh in.

Country Gal – we used to raise our own meat and use the mobile butcher – the cows were Bar, Bee, and Queue (delicious) and the sheep Buzz and Woody. All the Geese were either Lucy or Kenneth.

Now I live in suburbia on the Gold Coast – it is nice to have weekends for things other then fences, firewood and gardens.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Seahorse, you’re welcome to join us as often as you like. Well done to you and your OH for committing to this wol. You have done very well so far and I’m sure you will continue to succeed with your great attitude and determination. πŸ˜€

Hey Seahorse, sorry to have missed you before – do chime in, sorry to hear of your health issues but here’s hoping 5:2 helps alleviate some of the problems. Sounds like you have true Aussie Determination in what you’ve done so far.

SJ, good vibes and fingers crossed for a good visit this weekend. All the maternal hearts here are beating in unison for you. xxx

Aw CG I’m sorry about the sheep, I know it’s hard even though a fact of farm life. xxx We have friends here who go through the same thing. Extra hugs to you and Lexie, you have a big heart (and I still wish you could run for president here).

Fit hope your feet and the rest of you are in bed by now. What a loving sis you are to go do chores for sis in the shape you’re in – I guess arguably better shape than she…but a big heart for sure. xx How did I land in this group of heroes anyway? Hope the doc does right by you OR that you find you no longer need him/her.

I’m enjoying my scale boycott still, though I do hold myself accountable w/MFP. I feel so much slimmer without the heckling πŸ™‚ Hey gang, I’m still the eBay leader on the latest iPad mini bidding! Pretty soon I can join the emoji brigade. Speaking of which where is the emoji queen PH?

Time to put these old feet up, several cats are ready to sit on them. πŸ™‚ xx

Hi all…..
    Welcome Sea, your gonna love it on this post!
    Im glad that my personality is showing through in the things I write. I worry about that sometimes, are people gonna mistake my fun giddy happy attitude for something else….. Thanks for seeing the true me. I get up and do my happy dance but it way to darn cold here!
    So, I told you all I was doing some power lifting as I lugged my seedlings into the house. Well….. Last night, as I gingerly placed them on the kitchen table, all the stared back at me was pots with dirt in them. This morning, I awoke to my corn, peppers, cukes and tomatoes sprouted! They sprouted can you imagine the giddiness, squealing and dancing my family woke up to this morning….. πŸ€—
    I can not tell you how nice it is or how much we enjoying heading out to the garden every night and picking our own veg of the vine, and eating it! My boys are really excited for corn, this is the first year trying to grow it from a seed, so we’ll have to see how it goes. I’m also trying cantaloupe for the first time too!
    I also do a fruit and veg swap each week with my neighbors who grow different items then I do. Does anyone else do this type of thing?
    Well, food wise was okay! Since Friday’s, are my totally free days, no thinking and no worry day, I have no idea how many calories but egg and toast for breakfast, one of our contractors brought in sandwiches for lunch……. Oh my sooooo good for dinner…. Cheeseburgers, fries, a fabulous little pickled Greek salad and since we had to drop our oldest off to pick up his truck from the mechanic. We stopped by our local ice cream parlor for homemade ice cream Sunday! Yum!
    Well, I must head off for the night!

Hi team, just in before the excess heat hits, it all snowballed again, ride on mowing, (2hrs) then a bit of watering, washing the ride on, then up the driveway watering, feeding my hanging baskets (fushias) a quick drink (for me 😊) and a snack for the boys, back to watering the green house…..and the beat goes on, it’s just gone 1:30 and the sun is beating down, but looks beautiful πŸ˜ƒ
    Seahorse, don’t feel shy with us, none of us have been online posters until this, so you are amongst friends. We discuss everything and anything that crosses our middle aged female paths….including 5:2 so join in when ever you wish πŸ˜€ you are more than welcome and we appreciate new input ☺️xx
    Thank you Fit, just so glad your thrilled with it πŸ˜ƒ My heart is singing πŸ’• Now bed time or at least feet up time for you xxxxx
    Jade,I’m a lousey farmer when it comes to my animals, it costs me more to keep them as they are pets than I make out of them. I sell my cows onto dairies knowing they get a full life and becomes Mummy’s them selves but the sheep (Tilly, Tifany, Timmy and Elvis) filled a void after my surgery and I was forbidden to get more calves as they do get a bit rough, unintentionally, just looking for food, (greed) or a cuddle, more often with mine, so needed something to keep the paddocks down, I was offered these Dorpers, self shedders so no shearing needed, but they are so damn skittish, so no cuddles allowed with them, and don’t feel the same attachment. But I have tended to them with care for around a year and know each’s idiocryncrasies, so it will still be hard, but cheaper as I’m hand feeding most of the time, and that adds up! Anyway, has to be done, I tried to find homes and no one wanted them, so just a matter of waiting now till the butcher is in my area…..soon he said! Hoho, nobody rushes in the country…..
    So a bit of lunch after a coooool drink, then some house chores maybe a movie, WHO’S THE BOSS?πŸ€” Me right? So what ever mood hits πŸ˜‰…..enjoy your day team xxxxxx

Oh Bert, what a thrill for you, bringing something to life from a seed, nothing like it. I get the same joy from my cuttings, when I trim things back, I stick bits and pieces in, thinking if it grows, all well and good and if not, it owes me nothing. Most ot a lot anyway of my garden is from cuttings from clients over the years, it is such a joy and I understand your excitement. Even my beautiful weeping crazy willow was a cutting I got from a clients tree, and it has pride of place central in my front paddock where it gets a bit too wet in winter, the tree just thrives. Now I’m not on commission from Ebay,( but found it the cheapest place for me to shop especially for things not readily available in the country) but why not shout yourself a small hot house from there, saves all the lugging inside πŸ˜€ And once the are strong enough, you can pot them πŸ˜ƒ….. Sleep well πŸ’Xxx

HI there Team how are we all? I’m just back from our local Farmers Markets with some goods. Had a ham/cheese/tomato crepe for brekky with a coffee. Then bought a sicilian cannoli filled with cream for a treat, some meat, vegies, & then a meat pie to have for lunch made with our local organic lamb. Whoah thinking it might just be a HB egg for dinner after all that indulgence! Haven’t done MFP yet so will see.

Kinda excited & kinda nervous about tomorrow. Anticipation & excitement it is CG!! Will love to see my GK’s again but not sure where my D & SIL are at with me. I’ll just be my normal self & see where things go. Not taking any bull$##%. Should be fine as all I’ve said it will be is just a breaking of the ice for us nothing more just yet. Discussions to come.
    Fit put your scales away & go relax. You have been told!! You don’t need negative vibes right now so go with the flow until you’re really on the mend & don’t do anything that is going to wind it up!!! You will make your recovery much longer than it needs to be.
    GG don’t forget to come back & post with us after your busy days. All the best with the wound conference.

Well better go & got a few things sorted around the house. Have a cake to make for a couple at church tomorrow too. And a lady to ring who’s having a few dramas with a 2nd knee op coming up, elderly parents to move & a son with cancer. See if we can help her in any way. Have a relaxed but controlled day all – yes it can be done! sj XXxx

Bert wonderful to see those new little sprouts isn’t it! We don’t have anything formal but I just give away to our neighbours & some swap as well. Also take to church sometimes if we have heaps of fruit etc.
    Jade thanks for the lovely picture of all the maternal hearts beating in unison for me! I can feel it!!
    Sea congrats on all the fabulous changes & commitments you’ve made to better health. You will do well with such a good attitude.

Hi all.
    Jade…emoji queen is back from having a sleepover at my daughters place.πŸΎπŸ’πŸœπŸ·πŸ§€πŸ·πŸ«πŸΉπŸΎ We had a mother/ daughter night with my very good friend and her daughter. The two girls are both called Nicky and are firm friends as the two families have been friends most of their lives. My D cooked dinner and my friends daughter cooked a great breakfast. Of course, with and after dinner there were quite a few wines consumed. Great night was had by all. Our OH”s got together as well at their house. We used to do this before my D moved away and it is so great to resume the tradition. Will take some time now to read all the posts and get back to you all. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Hi all. I’m late today as its been busy here. We had to buy a new washing machine and living in a double story house has made it difficult to get the beast upstairs. Anyhow it’s now up but just waiting for neighbour to come round and help OH manoeuvre it into position.
    Welcome Seahorse. If you decide to stay with us we are going to have to abbreviate that. SH I think.
    I made a big cooked brekkie this morning. Fried eggs, bacon, sautΓ©ed mushrooms. I’ve felt as full as a tick ever since and could not even think about any lunch. We are having cold meat and salad for supper so my TDEE is looking OK.
    For those of of us who get despondent about how “little ” weight we’ve lost. – this morning I carried a 5 kilogram bag of flour upstairs. It was damn heavy and bulky. So if you’ve only lost 5 kilos it’s a lot of weight! We are doing well.
    OK must go.
    XX Doggy

Just to clarify – by MS I meant musculoskeletal, not multiple sclerosis. note to self – be care full with acronyms.

Since it is too wet here to do much in the yard I just cleared out my cookbooks. I managed to decrease them by 1/3, but also found a little book hiding in the back full of 100 calorie recipes. I had totally forgotten I had it. I will keep it a while longer to flick through and will add anything interesting to your recipe index – but the circa 1970 and 80 books on microwave entertaining and vegetarian cooking are going!

Thanks for the welcome.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,351 through 11,400 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.