Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,351 through 8,400 (of 14,786 total)

• Gyps, I was thinking of an eating window of 2:00pm to 7:00pm……on the one day, so just a window of 5 hrs to eat………oh do you add honey? Love Wild Turkey with honey……just a question?? ? xxxxxxx

Well today has been a very good PC day. Nothing to extremes. OH even threw in that we were going to a cafe for lunch so I ordered a vegetable panini (not much left) & then brought half home. I could NOT believe that my appetite has changed so much with 5:2. I could wipe off a very large panini no bothers before and enjoy every mouthful. I was thinking about charging into the other half but I just felt way too full. Yeah 5:2!!
    Well and truly within my TDEE so a happy camper.

We’re heading out the wheatbelt for 2 days tomorrow, staying overnight to look at the wildflowers etc. Lots of driving. So I’ve packed a bit of food to keep me on track as there won’t be much healthy available out there – the usual…chips, chicken strips/nuggets, anything fried and fatty. Must remember to boil a couple of eggs tonight too.

Fit so glad you’re enjoying the therapy of painting AND feeling virtuous at the same time. What a saint!
    Ooh Gyps you’re at the still again. You must love making it…and the money you save I reckon. Hope it’s a good brew.
    Change welcome aboard you’ve come to the right place to lose all that weight. Yes post each day & you’ll stay on track & make friends. X
    CG don’t worry about the choc biscuits if you’re still well under your TDEE. Not a problem.
    Well better have my tuna casserole dinner & head to music practice. Tonight is a fun night as we have lots of the leading musos in town coming together to practice for a musical evening (that description doesn’t include me…I’m just a ring-in that’s available!). Talk tomorrow sj XXXX

Tsk, tsk, Madam President, we are talking classic bourbon here! No honey, but the spirits brewing base is molasses and raw cane crushings, pretty smooth. I’ll take it under advisement and see if any locals have a beehive!

……So google ‘Paradise on the beach’ Palm cove Qld….

Wow! Gyps! Paradise indeed! How wonderful it would be to wake up to that view…and then spend the day with you guys; heaven!
    Well, gang, my PC day didn’t go too well because I got complacent again and I also have days when I just can’t seem to stop snacking and this was one of them. How am I going to get out of this habit? I thought I’d be busy with grocery shopping, cooking, painting etc – I had plenty to occupy myself, but it made no difference. Very annoyed with myself πŸ™

Morning everyone.
    How are you all. Nice and cool in Melbourne after 2 very hot days.
    I am in week 13, so call that 3 months and I’m proud of myself that I haven’t missed a fast day yet and have had great results.
    I have a pair of black jeans that I used to struggle to get into, had to breath in and suck my stomach in to get the button done up. Now they are loose and I’m wearing them with a belt.
    Little things like that are nice.

I think my weight is plateauing now and I probably can only lose another 1 or 2 kgs but I am going to keep going with this forever because it means you can enjoy your food and then your fast days ensure your weight stays under control.

Gypsy, I have never been that far north. Looks great!
    Also, I quite fancy myself with a hip flask, what a lark!

Not much to report. Concentrating on making normal days, normal! Fasting isn’t the hard part for me lately. I think if I became a hermit I could quite quickly be a slender one. I had a couple of drinks last night while out listening to two bands. One mississippi stomper style and one gypsy jazz. If there had been a dance floor I could have worked some of it off but alas!

Welcome Change. I think the secret to success will be never going off this, just doing 6/1. I agree with CG, whatever works for you but yes I think 2 to 7 for eating is good and I often eat that way although not deliberately. I try to delay eating so it doesn’t awaken the hungry giant!

Parley, good stuff!

Looks like you southerners may have been hotter than us Qld’ers over the last few days. Down to 30 here today. I was a bit worried when I found myself with air con on in early October!

Cheers to all!

Good morning team, I woke up very sore and sorry for myself. Early to bed too. Somthing had pulled my energy plug out and the lethargy was worse than I have ever had. Don’t know if it was the heat or pushing myself at aerobics yesterday but ohhh, one very lazy day coming up. You know the saying, feeling like you’ve been hit by a truck, that just about covers how I feel. Anyway, I can only pick up, hot shower after my coffee, and think positive ?
    Gyps, how dare I intrude on perfection, I bow to your experience and knowledge, I’m sure it will be “the ants pants” ?
    Suejen, you have some loveley days coming up to look forward too. Your life is full and exciting, even the cafe trips you and O/H do for lunch I think is lovely, you never seem to get stale ? your a lucky girl.
    Parley that’s wonderful for you and 5:2 is a way of LIFE so staying with it keeps you in check and gaining heaps of weight is a thing of the past. Well done.
    Gyps I checked out the site, it looks magic, count me in, but think I’ll need a few coin jars or maybe only 3-4 days, could get pricy, but then, there is plenty of time to save and it doesn’t look like it would be easy to leave when the holiday comes to an end.

Happy positive day team, oh, family history day. I picked the only crop of peas I’ll get yesterday and when sitting to pod them, I totally visualised sitting at the kitchen table with my Nanna when I was a very little girl learning to do just that. Kitchens back then seemed to be the least important room when houses were built, so quite small and cosy. Nanna had a fantastic sense of humour and being the only girl out of 5 brothers saw the world a bit differently as others. I picked some mint I have growing in the green house, and you know, when that water started to boil and the smell of minted peas wofted through, I could see me as a little girl sitting with my Nanna at that table. It bought an immediate smile to my face. Fit you said in your earlier post how smells can bring back memories, and it surely did. ? These days my peas come out of the freezer, so it was lovely to step back in time. Only a small piece of trivia team, but one which means a lot to me ☺️
    Happy day team ? xxxxxxx and no aerobics for me today!

Hello team. Welcome Change. CG sorry that you’r a tad poorly today. Do take care and not overdo things.
    Re your query. I’m 5.4 in the old measurements. I started at 78 kilos almost 10 months ago. I got down to 67 a while back but then came down with the flu. I’m back to 72 again. It’s scary how quickly one gains weight. Of course I’ve been eating lots of no no’s. Homemade bread with too much butter for starters. My portions are also too large. All that is about to change.
    I’ve had a most productive morning so far. I’ve planted out some pansies in my hanging baskets. Repotted some other plants so having the first bit of exercise for many weeks. I’ve come inside now and will take it easy for the rest of the day.
    Hallelujah it’s much cooler here today. It’s hard to that some of those fires in Victoria were caused by “controlled” burn offs. On a day of 35 degrees! Not very clever.
    Enjoy your day all.

Enjoy the day team

Hi Doggy, feeling better after my shower, dressed and hair and make up, ready for the world! Will be an easier type of day, just pottering, always something to do. So glad your doing that in the garden, very rewarding, and your not thinking of yourself, just enjoying the planting out of pots. Yes, bloody idiots, and THEY are the people who are supposed to know what they are doing. We had a huge fire lit by them last summer, totally out of control again…on a windy day, IDIOTS! Just don’t understand them, they work by their roster I think rather than the weather with planned burns????
    We are the same hight, and this morning I was 75.7k so going downish again, I seem to zigzag between 75.1-78-0???? Shock horror….but hope this next fast gets me back to 75.0 which is where I’m happiest, don’t really care if it goes lower, I have shape and feel contented. Sure, 70-71k would look lovely on the scales but if it doesn’t happen, I’m not too stressed ? have a lovely day, and take care, as Fit said, slow and steady. Xxxxx

C ‘mon team, where you all, mid week is your worst communications, why? Are you watching your PC? Looking after yourself? I know some of you are away but not all of you, where’s the support? ? xxxxx

Hi all. I’m back.. Not going to answer previous posts except to say that I have never before read that you were having a bad day CG.. Sending you some happiness…??????????????????and hugs {{{{???}}}}. That goes to everyone else as well.

I have just returned from the hospital with my sister.in.law after her surgery which went well..so await results on Friday so lots of resting for both of us..she did have a very unusual reaction to the dye that was injected to have a look at the lymph glands. She turned completely blue!, my very own Smurf!! ??????Nurses have never seen a reaction like that before..after a prolonged stay to monitor this she has almost returned to normal. Just blue around the eyes now and still very puffy in the face.

Have not done any fast days so far this week.. Very slack of me however plan to rectify that tomorrow so send me good vibes for that please. Have not gone overboard on eating though ever though have not been recording anything.

Welcome Change.. What a meaningful handle. I started six weeks ago now and managed to lose 5 kgs in the first five weeks. This forum is so supportive I could not have done it without their advice and help. My starting weight was 107kgs and am now down to 102 kgs. So a long way to go but am confident can get down to my goal of 87… And then keep on this way of life to maintain. Especially with the wonderful support of Aussie Determination.

Pleased to be back,, have missed you all. ???

Oh gyps. Looked up the “paradise”. Certainly lives up to its name.. ??????

PH good luck with the results, and glad your back. Hay, don’t worry about me having a bad day, I ralleyed after my shower so feel really good. Just seemed exhausted and drained but ” up and ad’em” again. I really think with the heat and pushing too hard with aerobics, possibly not enough water either, all took its toll on me. So back to normal now, slept like a baby, a bit stiff and sore from the exercise and needed a whing I think. I’ve been ironing and watched a movie so been productive, hang in with your PC and with fasting tomorrow you’ll be back on deck. You have seen how well it’s working already, so what great incentive ? xxxxxx

Hi All!
    Where are you all? I thought we were going to make sure to post on Wednesdays to help each other over the slump!!!
    PC – well done on your consistency; you will be reaping lots of health benefits; keep up the good work.
    CG – glad your shower restored your spirits. I love watching a film while doing the ironing; it’s a great way to make the job less of a pain. Mind your back though xxx
    Doggy – we have no real experience of bush or forest fires in Ireland, it must be so scary. It’s incredible to hear that those who should know better seem to be contributing to the problem! Great to hear that you are well enough to enjoy the garden πŸ™‚
    Up – so relieved to report that my constant snacking didn’t derail me too much and I have lost half a kg! So, better PC day planned for today….getting hair done, French class, then ballroom dancing this evening!! Hope you staying on track too. ‘Normal’ is good!!
    PH – great to hear from you and love all the emoticons!!!
    Gotta dash for hair apt. Family history later xxxxx

Evening all, almost 5pm here but of course for all you lot on daylight saving time quite a bit later.

Been out today finalising the air conditioning and buying new pots and plants for indoors. Some of our others were sad and I chucked them a while ago. The newly potted plants (fern varieties) are looking right at home and I was able to buy lovely new ceramic pots too. Wonder how long it will take for me to kill off these!!

Sorry about the whinge in my last post re thinking food. I do know we all come to that thought at some stage along the way. Guess it was my turn. Welcome back PH and also welcome to the two newbies. Sounds as if you both have made a good start.

You sound a bit better Doggie. Won’t take you long to drop the 3-4k’s as you have done such a good job previously. CG I don’t call ironing taking it easy. Only as far as staying in the one place maybe!

My brother has reached the palliative care stage which may go on for a while maybe so could find myself dipping in and out of here as time permits. I’m my SIL’s go to girl when she needs time off.

Dinner for us tonight is salmon portion with salad and potato bake which I create myself so can control the amount of lower fat cooking cream. A bit indulgent but OH is feeling a bit precious this arvo (not sure why) and this will cheer him up. Nothing else to report. TTYS YY xx

Here! Madam President! Phew! Just made the roll call, been on the marathon of grocery shopping day (trek to the town, 50 k round trip, unloading, yatta yatta..) Sorry you had a bad start to your day, glad it got better, have looked into adding honey. No sweat can do. Will enjoy experimenting… hic…
    Yay! Fit! You would love the Oz experience with this mob. We will fine tune it to give experience and budget value . Only just getting started on possibilities. We’ll see how Sydney pans out and go from there. You busted, huh? Well I wouldn’t dream of going food shopping on a fast day,but it just drives me to drink!
    UP, that’s the spirit! So What’s your poison? I think it’s weird that you Southerners are getting OUR heat and it is quite mild here. Sheesh! Do you suppose the poles are reversing?!!! Envy you the music scene.
    PH, you betcha, you CAN do it! Lovely that you have true blue rellies. (sorry,) couldn’t resist it! Do hope your SIL is ok.
    Dawg, glad you are responding to candle power. And don’t fret, as long as you keep trying for better health you are ahead of the game. I do so love pansies, May they bloom for you.
    Parley, well done on being loose in the pants…. um…. not sure that came out right… sigh… Carry on!
    So… Wonderful Wednesday. Family history day. Well, I dug up this little ditty that encapsulates my known history. I mean, I was born, obviously, but where…..?
    The answer is, in a tent, somewhere in the wilds….

A MINING MAN WAS HE

For Mum & Dad (Ruby & Doug Bach)
    From my family fables collection

It looks alright here, Rube, I think we’ve found the spot
    β€˜Tis here I’ll build your humpy and I’ll fix the babe a cot
    Just one more night we’ll rough it and tomorrow we’ll be right
    Just look at all those Stars, Rube, don’t they make a pretty sight?

β€˜Tis a shame to put a roof up and hide them from our view
    But your time has come I know, old girl, and I must think of you
    I’m not blind to your discomfort, though it’s hid behind your smiles
    I can see how you’ve grown weary of the long and dusty miles

β€˜Tis time you had some comfort just the same as city folk
    I may be rough and ready, but I’m not a heartless bloke
    Gawd, Rube! Don’t cry, old love! Being settled’s not a crime!
    You wimmen sure are queer when you’re gettin’ near your time!

Just you take it nice and easy, no need to break your back
    You sit right there on that old log while I wander down the track
    I’ll fill the billy and cook tonight – the damper will be fresh
    We’ll take a wash down by the creek and you can change your dress

Ah, you look a proper picture sittin’ there all fresh and scrubbed
    I felt the youngβ€˜un kickin β€˜ in your belly as I rubbed
    It sets a man to thinkin’ what a wondrous thing is life
    A man is mighty lucky when he finds a proper wife

I never had much schoolin’, don’t hold with fancy words
    But you know I won’t go foolin’ like I’ve seen those city birds
    I’ll see you right tomorrow with an axe and my bare hands
    I’ll build a humpy for my girl that’s good as any mans!

The bush will yield the timber, I’ll scrounge the dumps for iron
    You will have a proper kettle and a fancy pan for fryin’
    The tin bags from the truck will make a curtain for the door
    And with my old sledge hammer I’ll crush them ant beds for the floor

I’ll set your eyes to shinin’ when I find an old bath tub
    I’ll dig a proper dunny, nice and private in the scrub
    Our kids will never starve while Kangaroos have tails
    They will learn all I can teach them of the bush and all its trails

We may not stay here forever, but leave you I will never
    I’m a man who’s born to wander, I can’t stay put forever
    β€˜Tis a mining man you’ve married and a miner has to seek
    But for now just rest your bones, love, this is home and there is tin there in the creek.
    MCB

of interest, Mother was transported to a hospital after my birth, She had septicaemia and remained il in hospital for months. Apparently my aunts(on both sides) decided she was too frail to raise me and drew straws on who was going to adopt me(a quite common inter-family practice those days, half the nation was orphaned by war- I was born in 1946 when the world was in tatters). However, my dad was orphaned himself at the age of ten and it appears there wasn’t a hope in hell of anyone splitting up his family (I had a brother only 18 months older at the time) He travelled to the hospital, collected me and as he had to work to support us all, went timber cutting . and carried me in a sugar bag, like a joey, over one shoulder and my brother on the other shoulder. His sisters, my aunts often told me the story. Mum was never strong but they had 3 more sons and he looked after her and us. They were married for 55 years. Nice to share that thanks for listening xxx Gyps

Good evening everyone,
    Thanks for the welcoming and tips. I weighed my self this am, dropped 900g.
    I was pleased with my self control today when I did not give in to the chocolate craving. Busy time at work and the team tend to by and shar chocolate as a sweet distraction. I will have to really make an effort during these times.
    Reducing portion sizes and carb intake will also be my approach on non FD’s.
    Now that the evenings are lighter I will add some walks.
    Ciao Change.

Ah, I predict you will soon be changing shape, well done, change!

Coooeee! I mean, it’s only 10pm here in the wilds of Far North qld. (is that ahead or behind you Southern mob?)…..so I’m late. Sorry already!I’m just here hanging on this limb….. Mmmm, Honey thickens the plot, CG…. but…do you drink it with a mix, or straight? I may have to adjust the alcohol percentage accordingly….sooo love a project…. Where are ya!

Yummy! our posts crossed (Or I was looking somewhat crooked) So sorry you have the sorrow of palliative care illness in your family. It’s hard to pursue personal goals and thrive under that cloud. Do what you can, but remember your own life is also precious. And we are here for whatever you want to unload. Pot plants are good. I found that keeping a pot plant alive restored me when all else failed. Luck, mate. xx gyps

Hi all you’ll probably read this in the morning I expect. Sitting in front of the pretend log fire in a b n b in the middle of nowhere…..well Katanning actually. Had a lovely day discovering some beautiful wildflowers and taking photos. Food has been some good and some bad. I mean I’ve always LOVED chinese honey chicken and I gave in for dinner tonight…sigh. Brekky and lunch all good but won’t help my cause this week. So may need to fast tomorrow and Saturday to hit the 69’s.
    Read all your posts but too hard replying on my phone. Have a great FD tomorrow guys. I will be lurking to check on you all so be good!!!Suejen xxxx

Good to hear from everyone who posted after my first log-in this morning.
    CG – shelling peas also brings me back to my childhood, and sneakily eating the peas in the garden while my dad wasn’t looking! My dad was the local school principal, when the school was very small and had just two teachers. Because he had married a local girl and built his own house, we didn’t live in the teacher’s house next door to the school. He drove us and our nearest neighbours to school every day, which was a rarity because most families didn’t have a car and children walked to school. Sometimes there were eight or nine of us in the car, no seatbelts…different times! He was a very tall man, over 6ft 4in or 1m 93cm and loved to dress well. People always remarked that he looked like a film star with beautifully co-ordinated shirts, ties and suits. He was also a lovely singer and I have a great interest in music thanks to him, especially classical and opera. But he also sang popular songs of his era and so, we had many musical parties in our house when I was growing up. A very poignant moment before he died was when he could no longer speak, he tried to hum the old and very beautiful Irish air called “The last rose of summer”. He retired in 1979 and I was very proud to become principal of the same school in 2000. I made a lovely school garden with lots of trees, a pond, flower and vegetable beds, bird and insect houses and willow sculpture. He came to visit it and spoke to the children about his time in the school and how things had changed; it was a very special day. I planted a mountain ash tree in the garden in his memory because he also loved to go hill and mountain walking. When I retired, the staff planted another mountain ash for me…I was so touched.
    YY – delighted you are getting such pleasure from your garden. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother; I hope he is as comfortable and peaceful as possible. Hugs to you ((( )))
    Ah, Gyps – another wonderful and evocative poem….loved reading it and imagining your parents getting ready to bring you into the world…what a brilliant picture you paint. Xxxxx
    Change – you are doing so well, avoiding temptation and dropping 900g – woohoo!!
    SJ – sounds like you’re having a terrific time…enjoy every minute of it! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Good morning all. 6:00 am here a freezing cold in fact it’s 5:00am if it weren’t for daylight savings! We are an hour in front Gyps! Love your poem as always and Fit your storey down memory lane, got me a bit teary actually. Lovely story thank you for sharing.
    Change, well done on your loss, of course initially the loss is often water but it’s still a loss and will keep coming off when it turns to fat loss, so stick with it, 5:2 does work and as you have found very doable.
    Suejen you paint an idyllic picture, don’t worry about food, times spent with hubby in the wilds is important and your contribution to his art.
    Yy I’m sure palative care will be more comfortable at home for your brother. Be strong for all concerned if possible and remember we are here for you.
    Well, I’m up early to go to the pool, it’s only 6 degtees AGAIN after the high 30’s two days ago, what hope do we have of acclimating this time of year? The big fire is still going strong, lit as a burn back by those in the know! Homes burnt, countless animal life lost, so unnecessary and so sad. And awfully early in the season. Golly, the sun’s up already, birds singing busying themselves fossicking in the garden, the world is waking up. I’m pretending to be awake but after this coffee and a shower, hope to ge ready for the pool. Happy fasting teamthe effort is SO well worth it and if your scales don’t smile at you tomorrow, you are still healthier and you’re still eating with a better awareness than in the past, you are winning ? You are what you think! So think positive team ? xxxxxxxxx

Oh, I just opened the verticals and no wonder it is so cold, my grass is covered in frost! Brrrrrr…xxxx

Thank you for all your kind thoughts. Yes a little while ago I read that you cannot change how people think or react to you but you have to change how you then react to them. I have found that thought quite liberating. As I am in new territory with my weight now dropping under the 70 kg (20 kg since the start of the year) my only aim is to get my waist under 80 cm for health reasons. I will just let my body find its own level.

I was invited to a ladies luncheon so I had to quickly buy some new clothes. Just a cheap dress from Target with a short white cardigan. I felt really good. I had trouble with the menu all pastas and rice. I managed to find some fish but left out the chips and just had salad. Everyone after me did the same thing.

The garden is taking a fair amount of time to keep watered as we have had two winters with below average rainfall. This means I still have to water trees that should be on their own by now. The good thing about the hot weather is it has hayed off the grass so that has stopped growing so I can get the mower out and get stuck into it. All of the deciduous trees have sprung back to life. There is a noticeable temperature difference under them on the hot day. They are still to small to be under yet. I replanted some trees in 2010 after Black Saturday and then lost them to the floods 2 years later. Since then I have brought in soil to plant them into which is 20 cm above the ground so if it ever happened again the roots would have a chance to survive.

Morning all…….. Did not feel myself yesterday to post. I still am having some difficult times with Dad’s passing…… I want to really sob the whole blooding grief out ..but… I just can’t. CG is right I accepted the outcome and was prepared, however still I find myself in this surreal void. Bugger fasting and PC at the moment its SAV and chocolate…..
    Yum Yum- pls take very good care of yourself during this difficult time. My thoughts are there with you.
    GL- hold your head up high……If the person or persons concerned don’t mean anything to you write their names on paper and put them in the freezer. It will really chill them out. IT works.
    CHANGE- you are going really well….. You will soon see change and shape.
    SJ-enjoy your pretend fire lol……its still warm on the east.
    Have a great day everyone YOU CAN DO THIS ( I need to remind myself of this!)FIDDLE DE DE…..BRING IT ON….Tomorrow is another day!……LOVE…..GO GAL xxxxx

Good morning team. CG it’s chilly here too at the moment. I took the pooch out for a short walk early this morning and really enjoyed it. It was my first walk for six weeks so taking it slowly. Will go a bit further every day till I’m back to my usual long walks. Today is also my first fast for six weeks so I’m having to get into 5:2 mode again. After completing. MFP I see that I’m going to be just a few calories over the 500. That’s OK. I plan to do some meal planning this weekend so that I can do my grocery shopping accordingly. Hubby and his mate have just arrived in Melbourne from the ferry. They are off for a 10 day golfing holiday. I think they plan to visit a few golf courses along the Murray. I’ve always been very independent so it doesn’t phase me being alone. I had to be as he was in the merchant navy and was away at sea for lengthy periods of time.
    I’m off to do some more pottering in the garden.
    Enjoy the day team. Choose your food wisely and remember it’s just for today.
    ??????????

Hi all, I had internet troubles again yesterday! So wonderful when it works and so frustrating when it doesn’t. I know we have all been there!

Fit, we aren’t fasting today after all here. Trust me to say I’ll race you and then immediately fall off the wagon! Just a tricky week and am determined to be back with a vengeance next week, so watch out then! πŸ˜‰

I need PH and Doggie to tell me how to do the emoticon thing on here. Instructions please!

CG, the pea thing was interesting. I only have vague memories of peas being shelled and not by me but I have seen old photos of people sitting on the doorstep shelling peas. A few years ago when I was teaching literally next to a farm, I brought home fresh peas. The children (teenage and older) didn’t go for them! Funny how you prefer what you know sometimes. I thought they were great. Just a couple of weeks ago I walked into the fruit shop my daughter works in and there she was shelling peas!! The circle of life!!
    She handed her thesis in yesterday which partly accounts for no fasting this week.

Yum, take care. Life is hard sometimes. πŸ™

Gypsy, with spirits, I tend to drink gin. I drink red wine frequently and beer when it is hot. Perfectly happy to drink bourbon though!

SJ, honey chicken is my weakness. I rarely buy food from a food court but if I do, I am often tempted by that!

Have a good fast all. Although I am not fasting, I will try and be sensible!

GG wish I was there to give you a cuddle, I know the tears would flow then, especially after a few sherbets. It will come if it’s meant to, but with no closure as in a funeral, it is difficult, and we did have that emotional chat when you were caring for your Dad, which I feel was acceptance for you. Chin up my love, this is a phase which will pass xxx
    GL congratulations on your wonderful loss, you must feel so much better for it, and look great. You have a lot to contend with, first fires then floods, and now things are starting to take shape again for you, no pun intended, feel pride in your success on both fronts.
    Doggy, your out walking Pepper,things are looking up yoohoo! Take each day at a time slowly, well done.
    My fast just got blown with morning tea and my “gardener” friend, but soldiering on and watching my PC, so I’ll see what MFP has to say about my intake ? Positive day to you all team xxxx. (oh….. sore from the pool again, so being tender with myself, and careful with what I do, but back tomorrow BEFORE my next Myotherepy /massage session ? mmmmm….and I deserve it)

CG, you do deserve it! How close is that fire away from you? Scary stuff. Don’t forget to tell me if you partake of honey bourbon as a liqueur (on ice or just straight) or with a mix (zero, coke, soda). Liqueurs are typically lower in alcohol percentage (or one would get awfully drunk very quickly drinking a straight, syrupy spirit). Tho in the movies one always see’s the yanks swigging on straight scotch, without even ice (Do they in reality?). So, as a base for a mix, most spirits come in around 37/40 percent. Adding honey to a base mix and then coke would be yummy alright, but yeek! on the calorie front. But WTF, it’s holiday nectar and we all deserve that! JUst thinking I may have to book it on through freight! (anybody know the ruling for carrying booze through airport security?).

UP, I am experimenting with your Blacberry Gin recipe. We’ll see what turns out. I too am stumped by how Dawg and PH do the emoticon thing. Educate us , girls! Good to hear you sounding positive Dawg.

Morning All. GG ‘those’ times are hard but will become easier to deal with as time goes on. Had quite a few myself when my Dad died suddenly when I was 18 so thinking of you too πŸ™ Huggs ((()))
    Thanks everyone for your lovely support. At least I can come home after doing my stint but my SIL has to bear the brunt of it.

Doggie a little independence is a good thing!!! Still working on getting a bit of mine back after OH’s sudden retirement. Enjoy your rambles with Pepper.
    Fit, a real school Marm amongst us. Can remember some really fierce ones in my day which is at odds with the warmth and humour that comes through your posts. Sounds an idyllic school though.
    Up internet blues – so frustrating. Also honey chicken and rice hard to go past.
    GL impressive loss this year.SJ my memories of Katanning – super cold or super hot but wonderful wide roads when I was learning to drive.
    CG look after yourself and your boys. Remember the tortoise and the hare!
    The other newbies are doing so well, congrats.
    Good fast day for those who are today. Off grocery shopping now, not ideal on a FD but better than smelling the toast and honey OH has just made himself! YY xx

Hi Gyps, enjoy a liquor but usually have a long drink with zero coke, easier to sit on in company ? sometimes have a Baileys with my coffee straight or on ice if a warm night ? so the choice is yours dear girl, I’m sure it will be delish what ever you do ?and I don’t think there is any probs bringing a few bottles interstate, although check it out with Google. I’m sure people travel with gifts safely enough interstate ?
    The emicons come with ipads Gyps making them easy to use, I used to have a list of their codes for the computer but it’s long gone, the ipad has made me lazy, in fact, 5:2 didn’t accept ipad emicons but do now. Happy brewing and again, love the poem, very easy to visualise xxxxxxxx

Oh sorry Gyps, regarding the fires, if you look at a map of Victoria, the fire is almost central but I’m in the lowest right corner near the little boot, very most bottom of Vic, nearly in Doggy’s back yard, well almost, that’s why we get so cold but also very green. make sense? ?

Ah GG, I am scrolling up through the posts and find you there, so sad, out on a limb. How can I help you? Have been wondering were you were and a little worried I may have given you the wrong vibe re my phone phobia. But now I SEE you.

I know so well what you are struggling with. The lost,awful feeling of finally not being able to serve the person most dear in this world to you. The pain of loss so deep you daren’t let it surface for the certainty you’ll never survive the full impact, the finality, the failure and every other fear that threatens your very foundations. So, I’m guessing you are presently ploughing into every other avenue of anything that helps to keep your grief at bey? And it is not just any matter of being over reactive to the loss of a parent at the end course of a long and productive life. Or the cruelty of a protracted illness which ended it. Fit Knows it, too. It’s the quality of a love that was yours, in the flesh, for the whole of that lifetime. One hell of a lot to lose. You loved your dad more than some, because you were no doubt of his soul, not just his DNA (we all have a single soul imprint on us – it gives us the our dominant personality characteristics – even if our physical resemblance throws to the other parent ). Losing a parent or child is not the same for everyone. But it was for me. Both ways. It took me five years to really cry for my dad and after seven years, I am still hiding out somewhat on the other count. Take your time and do what you need to, to manage. Sure there are ‘documented levels of grief’ you are expected to travel on some bloody spectrum of human behavioural scale. Screw that! You will get to a better place, but take your own roads and seek whatever pit stops give you peace in patches. What ever works. And you certainly know the drill! Just practice what you preach, lovey, and let others care for you for a change. You’ll be needing double rum for the reunion then? I’m on it.

And in case you wonder how I know….

My dear, On hearing your voice, you were so recognizable as a power person, fuelled on deep emotional energy, profoundly on call for the ailing or any underdog. You really don’t give a s**t about conventional ‘pathways’ or red tape. You are used to just ploughing in and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT! And while there is any possibility to make a difference, you’ll Goooo! Gal.
    So…I see in my crystal ball (yes, I really do have one – it was granny’s)

….Your power revs to match any degree of difficulty involved. There’s really no draining that heart. It is so full it must give out or bust. If it has a down side it would be its overwhelming aspect; Like the wings of an eagle, hovering in vigilance over its chicks. And we are all your chicks once under the wing – Awesome sort of friend to have. But it cuts both ways, The higher they fly the greater the fall. You travel on highs and swoops. And don’t forget prideful independance! When life wings an Eagle with pot shots, they are insulted to the depths! But mainly, they are hurt when their loyalty is questioned or their best made plans for men and mice are misunderstood for bossiness! Perish the thought! I’ll be lighting another candle. Weep when you want, laugh when you can, kid. You are among friends. xx gyps

Gypsy, I haven’t managed to try making it myself yet so do tell me how you go!

Hi GG. Sending you hugs full of love {{{???}}} you will get through this and having a good cry is what it is all about. I still have good crys for my mum who passed away last Easter.
    And YY. Understand how you feel as have just helped nurse my BIL through the palliative stages. Very draining but good that you can do it for him.

Gyps. What wonderful posts. Always such an interesting read.

UP. Regarding the emoticons yes they are a feature of the iPad and very easy. Have no idea how to do them on the computer. You just need to scroll across when you tap on the smiley face and there are heaps to choose from. ?????

GL. Nice to have to Buy new dress. ??well done…great feeling…nice choice of food too…..

FIT . Your story about your dad and you being principal at the same school was really touching. brought bAck memories as I started school at a one teacher school and the teacher used to pick us up and take us to school because we used to stop and play in the creek for too long on the way to school otherwise. Wonderful memories.

Doggy sounds like you are really well and truely on the mend. Nice to hear.???

SJ sounds like you are having a nice time with OH. ????wild flowers are lovely. Enjoy the moment there is always tomorrow for fast day.

Change. You Sound like you are doing so well. Congratulations on your loss. ??

I am having a great FD. Just had my first food. My two hard boiled eggs and it is almost 4pm.(I am in Queensland at the moment) SIL doing well today. Not nearly as blue, looks like I am going to lose my little smurf…?????
    Probably on,y get one FD in this week as we are taking SIL to a unit at the Gold Coast for a couple of days after we get the results from the doctor tomorrow afternoon. Catching up with two of her sons and their families. The one with incurable cancer is getting home from a cancer retreat in Victoria where he has just been with his wife for the past 10 days. So going to hear all about it and the meditation, mindfullness he has been practicing. He has also given up alcohol and is following a diet with only fresh, organic foods. ??????????????
    Hoping to prolong his life for a couple of years. Very inspiring young couple. Love them to bits.

STAYING STRONG on my fast day should be a breeze con pared with what they are doing. I CAN DO THIS. Just as most of you have already been doing for a long time..such inspiration…….???

Thanks, PH. Guess, I don’t have that feature here.

Again !,I am totally in your debt. What an incredible lot you all are. When one of us is low and share our feelings you all rally to support and care. Words can hardly express what has been given to me by you. The loving caring hugs that were sent and the truthful understanding words revealing how you feel because you do not want to be weak and fall into a heap. 2 months to the day….. I sobbed out loud.
    A Crystal ball lets one see so much……of another. THANK YOU…… GO GALxxxxxx

PS. GG, I forgot to mention that ‘soul imprinting ‘ is a forever deal. He’ll be your Eagle now, always. His power passes to his heirs synergistically, Blended with yours. We’ll be able to photograph such occurrences one day, but certain ‘synesthists’ can see them now, so it is a human capability and no wacko statement.( The ‘spirit’ world doesn’t give a s**t about man made religious pathways, either). It is what it is. Eternal life-force energy.
    You’ll be stronger now, GG, and can pass on all that you grow to be and understand in this lifetime, to others.

Hopefully one day in perpetuity and full knowledge of the true and harnassable powers that be. So a Tibetan monk once told me. With every life lesson I learn, I am closer to knowing it’s the truth. And (who was it who said )”The truth will set you free….”. Practicing it is another matter. Truth is never stationary in growth mode. Get’s a bit dicey speaking one’s truth in my ancestral line, but chickens do tend to come home to roost…..I try not to be a coward about including ‘magic’ practices in my science these days. It gives more comfort than professional (insured!) limitations allow. So sue me! That’s the job of a holistic healer, lovey. to heal with whatever means finds it’s way into your bag of tricks.It takes one to now one and you are one. So… Listen and you will always know he’s there. Nothing is ever lost in this world, you just have to know where to find it. Love to you xxGyps

Gyps, I can totally confirm what you say, both my parents are with me daily, but especially my Dad who I had a very special bond with. Their guidance comes to me in different ways, but always reassuring. Take heart GG, it will happen if you listen, sending you love and cuddles as always xxxx

PPS… Hmmm, so, fasting wafties tend to open dodgy doors. I hope I have not offended any devout believer in more conventional theories. (I so envy anyone certainty in the matter). But definitely off topic.

If I have missed anyone out you should possibly be grateful! I will do better tomorrow. Must go chew on my boiled egg. Sooo hungry today. but I will make it. only 250cals so far. God bless Vegemite soup! have a good night all. Cheers! gyps

Thanks CG. Glad you’re not in the fire’s path. But what a variation on weather you have! Keep up the good work with your water aerobics. I can’t swim very well , but wish there was a pool available to try it. xx

GYPS and CG….. I will listen….. I forgot what that was like. I’ve heard before and know what its like to hear……GO GALxx

Sleep tight GG, try to remember your dreams too. Gyps, I’m loving the pool, but golly I’m tired, unsure if it’s the extra early start, or getting too old to start that early, or the exercise, or the full day I have when I get home. Note to self; take care of number one! Nothing is urgent, learn to relax/rest!
    Night all xxxxx

Hello, I was wondering if, as a fellow Aussie just starting out, I could join your little group?

Hi All!
    Very inspirational posts, everyone – such love, empathy and support pouring out from you all to lift anyone feeling down – it’s wonderful to be part of this amazing group. Xxxxxxxx
    GG – I really feel what you’re going through; you are only two months after your loss and emotions are all over the place. Some days you might feel like you are coping and then, wham!, you’re right back where you started and floored by the grief again. It’s a sign of the great love you shared and continue to share….that doesn’t stop or go away. I wish I could give you a big Irish hug in person, but am sending you lots of cyber ones over the airwaves (((((( ))))). Hold on to your precious memories and the great privilege you had in sharing your dad’s last journey with him….these thoughts will sustain you as time goes on. In the meantime, you go ahead and do whatever gets you by…..sav by the bucketload, if necessary! Xxxxxxx
    CG – woke up to a chilly morning here too and have two light layers of knitwear on until things warm up later, I hope!! I’m refusing to put on the full heating yet, so will make do with the pellet stove later on in the evening. So, better get on with chores and painting to keep warm, active and away from the snacks. FD for me today, so trying hard to stay motivated and focussed. Thank you for the kind words about my family history; I’m glad I wasn’t boring the pants off everybody!
    GL – so glad you enjoyed your new dress and ladies’ lunch; that’s the best answer to other people’s negativity! Best of luck with your new trees, good on ya for persevering in spite of nature’s destructive forces!
    Hey, Doggy! Back walking and fasting again, albeit slowly….woohoo!! Gently does it! My OH away too, but finding plenty to keep me busy and having sole control of the tv remote not such a bad thing either!! πŸ˜‰
    UP – the race is on!!! Did my usual of putting back on the half kg I lost on FD by overdoing it on non FD!!! I’m such a moron….it’s not rocket science but I just can’t seem to help myself undoing all my good work by treating myself after a good FD with various goodies….usually chocolate! πŸ™ So, going to find other ways to treat myself if I can! BRING IT ON!!!!
    YY – what a wonderful sister and SIL you are…difficult times for all and you are really helping to share the burden. I hope I wasn’t a school marm such as you had, but I could be very strict when I had to….so you better behave whenever we meet up!!!!! πŸ˜‰
    Oh Gyps – you sure know how to tug at the heart strings! I had to read your posts several times to take in all the wisdom and beauty of your words…you are truly gifted and inspirational. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share such beautiful thoughts with us. You are a gem! Xxxxx
    PH – sounds like you had a pretty idyllic childhood and school days. Well done on how you are tackling this wol and continued success to you πŸ™‚
    Ok, gang – off to do chores, painting and buying a new bra for the wedding outfit!!!! Take care everyone and do something that makes you happy.

Seems my post crossed with a few late thoughts from CG, Gyps and GG – totally agree with all your sentiments.
    Sunshiney – you are most welcome to this diverse and wonderful group. Fill us in a little on where you are and how you are getting on with doing 5:2. Ask questions and we will all help if we can.

Thanks, Fittoretire πŸ™‚ I’m based in Queensland. I’m having my first fast day tomorrow, having thought about starting for a week or so. I’ve got two goals: to lose 23kgs, and to lose 20cms off my waist.

Hi Sunshiney, welcome to AUSSIE DETERMINATION and yes welcome. We are 5:2 based but there are not many subjects we don’t come across, so join in. Are you aware of doing your TDEE at the top of the page in How it works, that will tell you how many cals to stick with on non fast days ? you can download MyFitnessPal, free and keep track of meals and the food cal count. We usually fast Monday and Thursday, unless we have personal commitments as you can swap days any time. Good luck, we have all had great success and we ARE human so get slack every so often and then give each other the well needed boot in the right place to get back on track. ? so there is a lot of support and encouragement here for you. Keep posting to let us know how you’re going…CG xx

Viewing 50 posts - 8,351 through 8,400 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.