Any friends in Ireland?

This topic contains 69 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Fittoretire 9 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 70 total)

• Hello everyone.
    Both and read the fast diet book yesterday. Delighted with it, it is great and I am excited to embark on this new adventure.
    I am from cork, I am 18, female and overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high BMI.
    Wondering if there would be any cork friends out there wanting to get in touch and join in on the journey together

Hi BerOM,
    Hello from West Cork.
    Yes fast diet is the way to go.
    24 lbs since Sept 1st.
    Have done some damage with Christmas but back on the wagon on Monday.
    Love
    Lucy x

Hi, I’m in Wicklow. I’ve just been reading bits on the internet about this diet and I would like to give it a go. I also have high BP and cholesterol, BMI is ok but I’m still carrying a good stone + and I know I would feel better with it gone. So any advice would be good. The head says it’s doable but it sounds tough enough. I will have to get the book. I thought I would start in the morning but there is so much food in the house still and with tomorrow being New Year’s Eve I’m not sure it’s a good day to start. Probably as well to grab the bull by the horns and go for it. The best of luck to you.

Hi Misty May, not restarting fast diet till Monday.
    As you say too much food around so fasting on Mon and Thurs,gym Mon,Wed & Fri,dog walking most days & will be back on track asap.
    There are quick results to be had.
    Lucy

Thanks Lucy, fir your reply. Well my first day was fine until 6pm and then it went downhill for the evening! So Minday it is. All back into routine by then so yes, back to walking the dogs, a big of cycling and a big of gym. One step at a time. Good luck on Monday.

Here we are back on the wagon!
    9st 13 lbs. I had got down to 9st 7 and a half so some damage done.
    Good luck to you all today!
    Love
    Lucy x

There was shock in Dublin this morning when I checked out the post Christmas weight. Back on the wagon today. I’ve got a plan, I’ve got motivation and I’ve got the fast diet.
    Good luck to you all.

Des

Right, so far so good and I’m off to bed soon. But can you advice on a good calorie calculator because I haven’t a clue and is it crucial to stick to 500 cals or Is it ok to go a little over? I won’t bore you with my today’s food list but it was a lot less than my usual Christmas bingeing…lol

Hi Misty May. I use “My Fitness Pal” on my phone to count my calories. It’s easy to use and it has a handy bar code reader. You should try to stick as close as possible to your 500 calories on fast days.
    Good luck

Good fast day yesterday in West Cork.
    Gym & dog walking & down two pounds!
    I’m a lazy fast dieter,same stuff for both fast days lol
    Boring but porridge & eggs with salad/veg.
    If it was just one day of overeating but whenever you visit anyone its out with the Fabulous Fox box of biccies ;o*(
    Love
    Lucy xx

It says you can eat what you like on the other days? Could that actually mean it’s ok to eat Ferrero Rocher, baked crisps 2 packs, cake, porridge, lasagne, spuds….. Once you stick to 500cal 2 days a week? I don’t think that could be correct. Wishful thinking ….all the good work of yesterday is undone!

No Misty May,I think you have to calculate your TDEE?I havent stuck to that tho.
    I just eat sensibly,no snacks lots of veg on the other days.
    Thats not to say i dont indulge in my glass of wine,pizza etc at the weekend.
    But weight loss is better if you leave the Ferreros alone ;o)
    Love
    Lucy x

Ok this TDEE is something I’ve never heard of but I’ve just googled it. Basically you stick go that and fast the two days and that should do the trick, is that correct? You seem to have it sussed. Keep up the good work. Fasting tomorrow for me, day 2.

Hi Misty and welcome:

Pretty much everything you need to know about 5:2 is on this site if you look around. I always recommend that a newbie check out the Recent Posts section to get a more well rounded view of the available information – sticking to only one thread can lead to a very narrow view of the information available.

Here is some information for newbies – number 4 covers TDEE: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Great thanks for that tip. That makes sense.

Yay! Back to single figures!
    So most of Christmas damage undone.
    Lucy xx

Fantastic, well done. I took simcoeluv’s advice and had a better look at the forum so I have a better understanding of it now. Did 2 days fast this week and yipp down 3lbs and that was with a bit of chocolate eating too. Next week is my second week and I’m getting the hang of it. Felt fab today after yesterday’s fast! Almost a relief after all that Christmas eating. Another week or two and I’ll be back to prechristmas weight, Yeehaaa

Hows everyone getting on with fasting?
    Went a bit mad at the weekend,family gathering but fasted yesyerday & back to 9st 10 lb.
    Being sensible today and tomorrow & fasting on Thurs.
    Love
    Lucy x

Hi all fasters, I’m back to Monday& thursday. I find the Thursday a bit tougher than Monday , but I’m sticking to the 500. I’m not counting cals on non fast days. It’s working!!

Hi, well I undid all the good work at the weekend and put all the weight I lost back on! I’m in a similar boat to you. Lucylocket63, I was back up to 9.9 on Monday. I need to get my cholesterol down if possible so ideally would like to be 9 st or just under. I’m 5’2″. I struggle a bit on the fast days but I feel great the next day so hopefully I’ll keep it up. I’m giving myself to the end of Feb, small steps I think are best for me. Well done bigmarie, I’m glad it’s working for you. It’s really good to hear that. My plan is to fast again tomorrow or Thurs depending on how hungry I feel in the morning.

Hi misty may, forget the scales & measure. The scales are not you friend, I only weigh every 2 months. I don’t own scales. You’ll feel the difference without the scales. Think I’ll change my name to anti-scales!!! 452 cals down. Enough left for a mint hot choc from aldi:-) nice in this weather:-0

Day 4 completed and being a bit more careful on the non fast days so getting the hang of this. Fasting is surprisingly not as tough as I thought it would be. I’m not sure I can throw out the scales just yet Bigmarie but I’ll keep it in mind…lol it helps keep me focused though once a week is enough. Good luck over the weekend. I found a great calorie counter on the nhs website by the way.

I hope your fast went well today Lucy.

Hi Misty May
    Fast went OK. Thursdays are tougher,I feel the cold more esp my feet!
    bigmarie,I think I may be addicted to the scales ;o*(
    I seem to have undone the Christmas binge now. 9st 9lb this morning.
    Half a stone left.
    So by Easter if not before…
    Love
    Lucy x

We’ll done all! I hope to be 10 stone or under for 14 th March my sister’s wedding .. So that’s my goal & motivation! My Weigh in around the 14 th of February . :-0

Boy oh boy, BigMarie, are you not tempted to take a little peek at those scales? Every two months is a long time. I’ve decided to stall it to weighing every Friday. I can’t seem to do this measuring very well but I’m not panicking about it! I’m still eating a lot less than I was a few weeks ago and I’m gradually learning the ropes. It feels too much like a diet if I have to count calories all the time. The two fast days is enough abc if I can be reasonably careful the days grand. I don’t expect quick weight loss but I would like to see this way of eating working. How are you doing Lucy? Are you still at 9.9? I got to 9.6 last Friday so tube in again next fri.

Big Marie, I’ll be tuning in on Feb 14 to hear your good news. You can do this.

Lucylocket63 you are keeping very quiet? Are you still trying?and BerOM, where are you? Have a look at the thread ” any fasting friends in Ireland”

HI all, another fast day tomorrow..Hi to NP are you still on the 5:2? How many counties on here i wonder? I count for 2 limerick & donegal..

Hi all, I see aldi are doing ready made meals with calories stated clearly on box- reasonable price too. Tesco had a sale on weight watchers ready made meals too, handy when fast day comes around! Heading into 4 th week of 2015, and have stuck to the two days each week, I don’t go over 500 – so far so good!!

Hello all, cold weather for fasting..but has to be done! Fitting into old clothes.. Might even buy something new??

Hi, well Thursdays are definitely more difficult but I took you advice Bigmarie and bought a Weight Watchers
    Curry today to be sure of the calories so I stayed within 500. I’m definitely getting better at fasting. I’ve just decided Monday and Thursdays are fast days and I get on with it. Tomorrow is weigh in day! Drinking plenty during the day seems to stop me getting very hungry, water, tea, bovril and water again.

Hi Misty May, not been on the Internet for ages!
    Still doing fast days.
    Was totally stodged on Sunday & paid the price,no sleep & 9st 13lbs on Mon.
    Back to 9st 9lbs now.
    Will have a light weekend as I’m working on Sat.
    Will catch up on everyones news later
    Love
    Lucy xx

Good to have you back, Lucy.

I hope you had a good day today. I’m still overdoing it a bit at times but I seem to be gradually getting into it. I have just accepted that Mondays and Thursdays are fast days and that’s that. I hit 9 st 4 & 3/4 on Fri so this week I’ve decided not to go near the scales until fri and to try to get some exercise as that has slipped a bit since Christmas.

You got down from 9 13 to 9 9 very quickly. We seem to have very similar targets. Realistically for me if I got to 9 st by St Patrick’s day I’d be delighted.

Big Marie, I tried the a Weight Watchers Curry on Thursday and it meant I probably stuck to just under 500 for the first time but ….. Yuch that curry was bad…lol

Hi all I am from Cork, great to connect with u all. I am on week 3 and down 5 1/2 lbs and hubby is down close to 7 lbs. I have been doing 4:3 but changing now to 5:2. Feeling great as clothes are fitting better.

Keep up the good work Slimline Carsie. It helps if your hubby is doing it with you. Unfortunately I went mad this weekend and I am back up to 9 7 so I’m thinking of doing three fast days this week but I’m not sure I could do that. It’s either that or up the exercise and big Marie, I’m not going near the scales again until Friday at the earliest. I don’t know how you do it.

As I said I’ll keep it up until the end of Feb but I’m actually looking forward to tomorrow’s fast to give my system a break.

Hi All,
    Seem to be stuck at between 9st 9 lbs & 9st 11lbs!
    Most frustrating,but did go through this before I think I’d lost about 9 lbs and it did take a week or three to get going downwards again.
    Because of gym on Mon,Wed and Fri. Ive decided to fast Tue & Thurs which in essenace means five light eating days a week.
    Don’t think I could do the three days fasing tho Misty May.
    Good luck to all fasters
    Love
    Lucy xx

No worries Misty May, you can do it ! I was back up 2 lbs after having a visitor for 4 days here but after just one day fasting yesterday I was delighted that I was back down those 2 lbs and a bit. So I am now convinced that this way of intermittent fasting really works! This week I am going to try just 2 fast days and see how it goes. I have to admit though I woke up so tired this morning but feeling back on track now. Next fast day is Friday . I was 12:8.8 when I started this , I am now 12:3.0 and I am sooooo looking forward to getting under 12 stone 🙂 however because of work commitments from 11th to 18th February I may not have any fast days as I am entertaining a group and having dinner with them . But at least I know I can undo any harm done that week easily with just one or two fast days when they r gone 🙂

Just read about you feeling the cold Lucy Locket and I glad to know in am not the only one. I find on the evenings from 7pm onwards I am freezing on my fast days. I reckon it’s my body going into shock from lack of calories. .. So I tell myself it’s a good sign and it means my body must go to the sumptuous fat stores to get energy to burn 🙂

Hi Slimline Carsie,
    I had such cold feet the night before last & I hadnt fasted but husband was kept awake by chilblains!
    Last night I had fasted but sat on the sofa with hot water bottle at my feet & it worked!
    Went to bed with toasty feet & slept well.
    Good luck today fasters.
    Love
    Lucy xx

Hi to all fellow fasters in Ireland. I am in Meath. Am also feeling the cold alot more these days, especially feet at night. Thought it was just the recent freezing temperatures but can see the link with fasting days too. Have been doing my fast days quite faithfully but finding it so hard not to constantly graze on non-fast days….any tips? I feel this is working against me as my weight is going up and down depending on the day of the week I weigh in, but with not much lost overall. In fact, I’m only one pound down since the beginning of January – although I did go up four pounds and lost them again. Where am I going wrong? Well done to all who have posted above, I’m in awe of you. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Slimline carsie, for your words of encouragement. When you break under that 12 stone you will feel amazing. Just to see 11 13.5,would be super and a cause for celebration.

I’ve managed to get through another fast day today so weigh in tomorrow and boy am I looking forward to my porridge in the morning. I had another freak out on baileys and crisps and chocolate on Tuesday night and I decided to weigh myself wed morning. If I was up the intention was to fast on Wed but yeeehaaaa I was back to 9 4!! Mondays fast paid off.

Fittoretire, I’m having the same difficulty but not as much now. Stick with it for a bit longer. I think you actually think a big more about what you are putting in your mouth. Try the ni testing late on none fast days. If you can manage two fast days a week then you can plan not to eat late say three of the five non fast days. Good luck to everyone. Lucy try wearing those really soft fluffy socks you get in a Dunnes or Penny’s fir the cold feet. I find them great .

Well done Misty May on your weight loss – you’re doing really well! I know I need to think more about what and when I eat on non fast days because I think I sabotage all my efforts when I overdo it between fasts. I had a good fast day yesterday and will fast again on Monday, then weigh in on Wednesday. Wish me luck!
    Must try the socks you mentioned too – can’t beat Dunnes and Penny’s! Slimline Carsie, I like your image of the body raiding the fat stores to heat the body…..will keep that in mind on my next fast day when I feel the shivers!! Ha Ha! Congrats on your weight loss too – keep up the good work.
    LucyL, you are so fit and active you are sure to see the scales move again soon. We all hit plateaus from time to time, but the health benefits are another reason to keep going. Well done on all your success to date.
    Looking forward to updates from you all soon.

Ok Fittoretire, we have that sabotage thing in common. I undo all the good work by not sticking to the TDEE so this week things are going to change. Are you with me? At least until Friday. I haven’t gone near the scales since Fri and not planning to until next Friday. Fast tomorrow. Got some exercise in this weekend. Good luck to everyone this week.

Hi Misty May, you’re on! Non-fast day today and yesterday and haven’t done too badly, I hope, but really have to nip this grazing in the bud or it’s going to derail me again. Fasting tomorrow and Thursday. My weigh in day is Wed, so will let you know how that goes. Well done on getting some exercise in, what kind do you do? Have been trying to get started on the Fast Exercise and Fast Strength recommended by the 5:2 experts, but it’s very hit and miss at the moment. Best of luck to everyone for the week ahead.

Hi to all fellow Irish 5:2ers! Does anyone use the ‘my fitness pal’ app? Have tried to enter food details today for the first time, but am getting some very strange calorie values – any advice (I’m afraid I’m a bit useless with technology!!)
    Misty May – hope your fast day going well. I’m just back from hour-long walk with my dog, who is very grateful, as we haven’t been out for quite a long time due to bad weather.

Hi all just checkin in on my 12th fast day, having a soup day, didnt have meals planned but didnt go off track..Cuppa soup for lunch and tomato & basil soup with 2 slice of low cal toast. Have 72 cals left over..
    treated myself at the weekend to cream cakes & wine..so feel good that im in control again.warm socks are indded a must have these days!!!

Good luck on the weigh in on Wed Fittoretire and it sounds like you had a good day. I’ve been out all evening and had a pretty good fast day. Mondays don’t seem to be any bother though I struggled tonight as I was still a community event with lots of tea ,coffee ,cakes by the dozen, chocolate biscuit cake, cream sponge, shortbread etc Tomorrow is when I’ll have to work at sticking to this TDEE so I’m delighted you are with me on this non bingeing effort. I went for a bike ride yesterday and I’m planning to walk dogs tomorrow and do my best not to eat late. I’ll try to control myself until Friday. I’m allergic to putting figures into computers etc too much effort in my very busy life so I don’t do the fitness pal ap. I like the nhs calorie counter. Lol

Well done big Marie for getting back Into the swing of it.

Oh God,oh God ,its sooo cold & dampish!
    Nearly impossible to do proper fast day!
    Plenty of tea/coffee/marigold bouillion,but still….
    Am out of hibernation now & back to early dog walk (7am or so)
    But the days seem to get colder as we get to lunchtime.
    Had a run yesterday & didnt even get to take my running jacket off.
    Fast tomorrow,still 9st 8lbs & am wondering if I should just maintain this weight & not be obsessed about losing two stone exactly?
    My clothes are fitting well again.
    Any thoughts as to when to say “stop & maintain”?
    Love
    Lucy xx

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply.