Another Newbie here

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi everyone,

My husband and I started today with our first fast day. It’s just after lunchtime and so far so good. I have ordered the Fast Diet book and the recipe book for fast days, so I can read up on exactly what we’re supposed to be doing. I know the principle but not sure what we’re supposed to be eating on fast days, so just winging it at the moment and (hopefully!) erring on the side of caution! Books should be here later in the week.

I actually lost just under 3 stone on the Dukan eating plan a couple of years ago but over the last year or so have put a stone back on. As both my husband and I wanted to lose weight, I thought the 5:2 would be better for him, and also my body has got to the point where it needs a change as well. I’ve been eating very low carb and high protein for a few years and I think my body would benefit from some rebalancing and reintroduction of a few more carbs.

I’m 5’3″ and currently weigh 10 st. 1lb; 141 lbs; 64 kilos. I want to lose just over a stone; 14lbs; 31 kilos. My husband wants to lose about the same. He’s 5’11” and weighs 14.5 stone.

Today I had two fresh apricots, a handful of raspberries and a 0% fat/0% sugar yoghurt for breakfast. My husband had two Weetabix with skimmed milk, no sugar, and a banana (not sure about the banana) for his lunch and we’re having steak and salad for dinner. I always drink lots of green peppermint tea and water during the day so I’m hoping that’s going to help with the hunger pangs. My husband’s just been in to ask me if he is allowed to chew sugar free gum (bless!!)

Looking forward to sharing our progress with you. I’m also going to look around the forum to see what tips I can pick up.

Good luck everyone!

Wishing the two of you well. I believe this form of calorie restriction does help keep balance. Especially for food lovers. The flexibility and after getting a good idea of what works best individually. This help to jump on the diet at anytime in future.
    Me personally I had good results the first year, but this second year has given me hope of being more active like in my youth. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks very much, SAMM! Well done on your first year and good luck on being able to be more active this year.

Our first fast day went well and our next one is on Thursday. I may modify things when I get the books. Hopefully they should be here later this week, and then I can read up and make sure we’re doing things exactly as we should be. I think the calorie counting is going to be the biggest challenge; it’s not something I’ve ever done before.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Have a lovely day!

MrsG, you can eat anything you like on a fast day as long as you do not go over the 500/600 kcal.
    Personally, I do not eat until dinner time on a fast day as eating earlier will make me really hungry; these were the only fast days I had to give up halfway through. However, I have milk in my coffee morning and evening and therefore only a small meal at dinnertime. I used to cook a special fast day meal but now I often have only an apple and a hard boiled egg.

As you continue fasting you will find what works best for you, just listen to your body and go with it. Don’t be surprised if fasting affects your eating on non-fast days as well. My food choices certainly changed and my sweet tooth has diminished.

Good luck!

Calorie counting is a challenge. However it can be very rewarding. I from the states , the statistic is 80% of Americans don’t know how to count calories .

Finding online calorie counters and phone apps are great for those not comfortable with the old school ways. I like what drummerchen says here too.

I like this site , and there are are many others,

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-drumstick-with-skin-roasted_f-ZmlkPTk1MDM3.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.