Alternate Day Diet or 5:2 for Morbidly Obese?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Alternate Day Diet or 5:2 for Morbidly Obese?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and to this diet. I came across this diet/lifestyle today and I must say, it is rather intriguing. I would like to learn more about it. I am currently on a calorie-restricted diet (flexible dieting/IIFYM) and is always on the lookout for a better option. If there is one available.

Here are some stats about me:

Weight: 307lb (from 355lb)
    Height: 5’11”

I’ve had reasonable success so far on IIFYM, but I am growing tired of calorie counting everyday, and I am also curious if this diet/lifestyle would be better/healthier for me in the long-run. Again, I’ve only discovered about 5:2 and Alternate Day Diet today, so I have much to learn.

I have over 100lb to lose, so there are some questions I’d like to ask as to which fasting diet would be better suited for me. I had tried fasting before on the LeanGains diet which didn’t work for me, as I suspect that I was eating too much at the time. It was about 4 years ago, so I can’t remember the details.

Here are some questions:

1. For someone that has so much weight to lose, which fasting diet would be more effective for weightloss? 5:2 or Alternate Day?

2. On Fasting days, besides high carb foods, are there any other specific foods that I should avoid?

3. On feeding days, do you need to count calories? are there any foods that is prohibited? I plan to count calories anyway, just so I don’t exceed my daily maintenance calories and to also ensure I am getting all the fibre I need. I don’t plan to count on fasting days as it’s easy to keep track.

4. On feeding days, do people eat whatever they want? I plan to eat whole foods anyway, with the occasional “cheat” meal.

These are all that I can think of for now. Thanks for reading! 🙂

Hi Mister and welcome:

This thread will answer most questions you might have about 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Quick answers to your questions:

1. Depends on what you mean by ‘effective’. Both will work, ADF will be faster, but also harder to adhere to for the two or so years it will take you to lose the weight you want to lose.

2. No. Most find eating one high fat/protein meal in the evening works best, but many do not eat anything on their diet days.

3. You don’t need to count calories unless you are not losing weight – then you count to see where you are going wrong. No foods are prohibited.

4. You can eat whatever foods you want.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, simcoeluv

Another question I’d like to ask is.

Why is it that on 5:2, dieters are encouraged to eat to their TDEE on feeding days and that no caloric deficits are required? I understand that on fast days, you’re already only eating 600 calories, but wouldn’t it be even more effective if a deficit was also created on your feeding days as well?

TIA!

Hi Mister:

Most that encourage eating to TDEE on non diet days are ‘starvation mode’ believers. They think their metabolisms will slow down if they don’t eat a lot and that their weight loss will slow or stop unless they keep their metabolisms rolling by eating as much food as allowed under the 5:2 program. This is rubbish, but rubbish that is fervently believed by many. The FAQ at the top of this page answers the question, but goes mostly ignored (or unbelieved).

The simple answer is the less you eat, the more you lose.

Good Luck!

PS I have seen some that believe it is better to eat all that is allowed so they stick with the diet – believing that a happier dieter will have greater success. It comes under the catch phrase that no one can deny – if it works for you, do it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.