55 year old lady just starting 5:2-seeking 5;2 buddies

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
55 year old lady just starting 5:2-seeking 5;2 buddies

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mcfudgies 9 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi My name is Julie, I am 55 years old and weigh, in excess of 16stone; given that I am only 5’3″ tall, this makes me morbidly obese. I am determined to do something about it, this year, as it is now affecting my health, mobility and well being. I would (ideally) like to lose 4 stone, bur I am taking it a stone at a time and my first goal is to lose a stone-anyone care to join me?

I see this as a change of lifestyle and attitude to food and exercise, rather than a diet. I have been doing the 5:2, for 2-3 weeks (on and off) but would say I have only really got into it properly this week and I am even making better choices on my non-fast days.

I have also ordered the diet kitchen meals, for fast days, which should be here next week and will be a big help on fasting days (50% off at the moment, brilliant).

Best wishes Julie

Hi Julie….I am 52, over 16 stone and 5 ft 5 so we are very much alike. Just been on the diet a week now but finding it ok…how about you? Would love to hear more how you are doing each day.

Hello India, I am Diana, I live in Southern California in the USA. I am 57 with a starting weight of 300lb, I am 5’9″ tall and also obese. I would love to keep in touch. We can support each other on this quest to be healthy. I did my first fast day yesterday and made it through without any issues. I will be fasting again tomorrow. I do think that keeping a journal of everything I eat, how much water I drink and how much exercise I do is helping. Take care, GOOD LUCK.

Hi Chippy and welcome:

Here is some information that might help as you go forward with 5:2:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Diana…how is your day going? Was a fairly easy do for my as I was so busy I didn’t get a chance to be hungry….just hope it shows on he scales or I get disheartened to be honest! What is your life like? Do you work? how is the weather with you? I enjoy doing the tracker on here…like to actually see the weight coming off as it doesn’t seem to notice on me too much yet! Take care x

Dear All, thank-you so much for your replies; sorry about the delay in response but I did not think I had received any replies, then realised notifications may have gone to my junk folder, and they had.

I am continuing with the lifestyle/diet changes and will be shortly be logging a 6lb weight loss (in 10 days)on the 5:2 tracker. I have had a cold, which has decreased my appetite, this week, but have still made healthier choices when I felt like eating. 8lbs to go to reach the 1st stone lost mark, anyone want to join me in losing a stone a time?

I received my 5:2 fast day meals this week and will start using those from Monday (Mondays and Thursdays are my fast days) I will let you know how that goes.

I am feeling really hopeful that this is a manageable and sustainable way of losing weight, without slimming club subscriptions or points counting. Contrary to [popular belief, I don’t off off the rails on non-fast days but make better choices; how do you find non-fast days?

To tell you a little about myself, I live in Surrey, England and I work for Local Government. I recently remarried and have a son and a granddaughter. I love animals and have 2 dogs and two cats. I enjoy reading, writing, music and watching a good film.

Keep going all of you, and keep in touch with your progress.

Have a lovely Easter. I am going to a tea party tomorrow and will eat most things, even cake (but will stick to one slice). I’d be interested how you all intend to manage the Easter weekend. Julie

@simcoeluv thank you for the welcome and the link to the Q & A.

@julieb59 I am in this for the long haul. I try to be around to respond but the past couple days my hubby has been in the hospital. I am back now. I am here for the support as well as to support others. I have 2 cats. I love reading, sewing, quilting, counted cross-stitch, crocheting. My hubby bought me an embroidery machine for Christmas. I am enjoying learning that.

@india, Yes, I work in the travel industry. The weather here is great! It has been in the 80’s and 90s this last week. The fasting has been pretty easy so far (two days) and I have stayed under the 500 calories allowed. I find that logging all my food in a journal has been helping. I know how many calories I have eaten and what I have left of the amount I have allotted myself. I have set myself a limit of no more than 1800 calories a day, but have been staying around 1500. I measure/weigh everything. I also try to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes each day.

We are hosting a BBQ tomorrow for our oldest daughter’s birthday. Our grandkids will be here as well. Wish me luck, just a small bite of cake and ice cream to celebrate.

I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful Easter weekend.

Diana

Hi there Diana and Julie 😉 I’m also a newbie, I’m 52, 5ft 2, and am starting the 5:2, hoping good luck comes in threes! I’m about to start the fasting on Tues, so have been trying out recipes for soups. I’m hoping to lose 20Ibs by the end of August. My weakness is I’m a picker and grazer, so eat quite a lot of empty calories 🙁 I have managed to cut down my wine drinking and coffee drinking…as I sleep better without them, so work is less stressful,and therefore less likely to head for the biscuit tin, doesn’t always work, ;-0 Have an under-active thyroid, so am on meds, I think it does impact my weight but I’m determined to lose this weight, my start weight is 154 Ibs, goal is 126Ibs..Hope we can support each other..Good luck over the weekend..

@beldyboop, Hi, sorry it took me so long to reply. My husband was hospitalized for a couple days. He seems to be doing well. We are heading for the doctor for a follow and more testing in the morning. Thought I would post before I went to bed.

I made it through my first week. Even had a small piece of cake and a small scoop of ice cream for my daughter’s birthday. Fasted two days with no problems and walked 30 minutes 6 out 7 days on the treadmill. Total loss for my first week was 4.8lbs. I am very happy. Had a good day today, fasting tomorrow.

I hope all of you, @julieb59, @india, @simcoeluv, @beldyboop are doing well! Talk to you soon. Take care and God Bless!

Dear All, Hope you had a lovely Easter. I went to a family Easter, tea party and just ate what was available but slightly less than usual. The children kept me busy, which helped. We then had a roast, on Sunday,which I enjoyed (a bit of everything, on a smaller plate)and hubby brought me some chocolate, which I enjoyed and shared out in equal measure(to reduce temptation)

I was reading bits about other 5:2 dieters counting calories on non-fast days. I don’t about you but I don’t really count calories? I do try to make healthier choices, i.e. reduced fat/sugar etc. and have smaller portions (I used to pile plates high but don’t anymore). I invested in some smaller plates (from a charity shop) larger than side plates but smaller than the average dinner plate. This small step has made a big difference to helping me control food portions; I tell myself I can always have more, if still hungry, but usually don’t.

Thank-you for the link simcoeluv, every little bit helps.
    Well done on your fast days India.
    Chippy hope hubby is better now. my hubby has recently come out of hospital and is getting better now, but it was a worry at the time.
    Nice to hear from you Beldyboop,

Lets do this together, I have my eye firmly on the first stone and I’ll let you know when I reach it.

Keep up the good work all of you. Julie

Hi there, just started the 5:2 diet today. I did the test via the BBC that determined I was a constant Grazer, this was the diet recommended by them. I’m hoping to loose around 4 stone as I’m only 5ft 3″. It would be great to feel well again, I know that my weight doesn’t help my depression and I’m hoping that this diet will help. I’ve got the diet book that details eating 3 times a day. I’ve noticed some others who feel that one meal a day is better. I would appreciate the feedback. A bit about me I’m 46 with two kids a boy of 15 and a girl of 8, living just outside Edinburgh, Scotland. I’m a crafter and tutor so hopefully this will help to keep my busy.

Marie

Hi Julie

I am 55 and in week 6 of the 5:2. I started this to support my husband as he was keen to improve his weight and health. I am so glad I did. The weight loss has been a benefit (I have lost about 9 pounds and my husband has lost about 25). Truly Julie…it gets easier every week. Some days are a real breeze and some harder but on the whole, it gets easier.

I had a fun Easter and no, I do not count calories on my non fast days. I really believe that if you do not cheat on fast days, then your tastes and wants will change. It’s a part of a process. However, I rarely eat at all on fast days…I don’t feel the need. I stick to herbal teas…loads and loads of water and 2 cups of Miso soup (about 30 cals a cup).

I found that after Easter, I was longing for a fast day. Funny as in the earlier days, I viewed them with dread.

I think your journey will take longer as you are starting with more weight but don’t just focus on the weight loss. You are doing magnificent things for your body. Have you read the book? I recommend you do. Truly, in the last week, I feel like my energy and zest for life has woken up from a long sleep. It is, quite simply, amazing. And this is in your future if you can see the 5:2 as a lifestyle change for the longterm. This is my life from here on in and I could not be happier.

Bless you and I wish you good fortune on your journey.

Hi everyone!
    @chippy hope your husband is getting better.
    So nice to share experiences on this forum. I’m on the first week of 5:2, and have had 2 FD’s. @expat I agree that for some eating nothing on FD’s is a better option, but I’m still experimenting. @mcfudgies I drank Bouillon and mineral water all day and then had a meal of about 400 cals, at 6pm, it was a long day, brutal, and the 2nd fast was worse…but I didn’t go crazy on the NFD’s, I think, like @expat mentioned, you change over time, and I found in the morning after fasting was not crazily hungry. Hoping for some better fasts, as I felt quite “weak” but I’m quite active, so this might be “the rub”. Next week (FD’s Tues/Thurs) may have split the calories and have something in the morning, we’ll see. Overall think the FD’s are empowering, and great for
    someone like me, who although doesn’t have a lot to lose, 20 Ibs I have a very all or nothing attitude towards food, and I feel motivated by the fasts, and the knowledge that it’s not forever, yippee I can have my wine at the weekend..Also I’m not looking for a quick fix. Looking forward to lots of exchanges and support. BB Hi @julieb59 hope it’s going well..

Thanks for the feedback. Well thats my first week in and I’ve lost 6lb, really pleased. I found the first day really hard. Thank goodness for the soup recipe I found in a 5/2 cookbook. I was really surprised by the fact that I didn’t wake hungry the following day. It was much easier than I thought it would be and after trying several types of diets over the years its great to have found one that seems to suit me much better. I can how this can now become a way of life. This week, I’ve made the soups again and bought in egg whites. SO bring it on. Feeling so positive this week. Its a new me.!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes to you allx

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.