1 week in and looking for buddies!

This topic contains 279 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  LindaSue 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 280 total)

• Hi there!

I’m one week into the Fast diet and lost 2lbs this week! I’ve been counting my calories and dieting since January 1st (this year) and had lost 6lbs before starting 5:2 but wanted to try to speed things along a bit. I’ve got 80lbs to lose (sigh!) and I’m getting married in August next year and would obviously like to lose as many of the extra pounds as possible before then!

I’m fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays and am looking to build a support network for those weak moments when you just want a piece of cake (or two or three!)

Anyone up for being my buddy? xx

Hi Teeshabell

Well done you, you’ve basically lost over half a stone in a just over a month. That’s good going.

I’m happy to become one of your buddies. I too am on this diet with a wedding (mother of the groom) as one of the objectives. So, I’m much older than you (58) and I’ve got 70lbs to lose by November 2016.

I’m fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, but I will some Wednesdays coming up because of ‘events’ on Thursdays in the diary.

Have you set yourself mini-targets?

Got to go, my elder son is trying to talk to me on Skype.

Joan

Hi Joan!

I haven’t set any mini-targets yet, although I do like that idea! 80lbs to lose is such a lot and feels like a massive undertaking so I guess it would be nice to break it down a little bit!

My birthday is one month today and it would be nice to have lost another 6lbs to take my weight loss to 1 stone (although I wouldn’t complain if I lost more than 6lbs by then!)

What about you? Any mini goals?

Teeshabell

Hi, Well done on your weight losses so far. Tomorrow is going to be my first day doing 5:2, I’m also planning on Mon/Wed as my fast days.
    I’m looking to lose at least 75lbs. I have lost 13lb since starting at a gym in September so am committed to the exercising but need to commit to a good eating pattern now.

Hi Lizzie!

Well done on your 13lb loss so far! Do you have a plan for what you’re going to eat and when? Spread out your calories or eat them all in one go?

Hi teeshabell, Thanks yes I’m planning tomorrow to eat one meal around 5pm when the kids are having their tea. I thought I’d try just the one meal tomorrow and see how I get on, can always change that on Wed with a breakfast & evening meal. Tomorrow is going to be fish & veg I think. I’ve decided to go with mon/wed and those evenings the kids have a club so I am out of the house with them from 6-8:15pm, that way on the other evenings I can have my dinner with hubby as usual at 7:30ish.
    How did you find your first week? I’m feeling excited but nervous!

I’ve been having my calories all in one go too. I have mine as an evening meal, it’s been working well for me so far! I get quite hungry in the morning, but by lunch time the hunger has disappeared and then comes in short waves throughout the afternoon but doesn’t get worse and by evening time I didn’t even feel like I needed dinner (but did because I didn’t want to sleep badly due to getting hungry in the night).

Drink lots and lots and lots is my best advice!

My first week went well, I actually found it easier than I thought. I did try the 5:2 diet last year but spread out my calories into 3 small meals and the hunger was awful, I actually find it easier to not eat all day and then have one bigger meal. It also means I don’t go to bed hungry 🙂

Best of luck to you tomorrow! I’ll be fasting too!

Oh no! My birthday is two months today! Not one! I’m very tired and apparently that means I get my months muddled! Ok so 2 months until my birthday, maybe another stone lost for then would be great!

Hi Teeshabell and Lizzie

I agree. I’m a one meal person too. If I start in the morning, I want to eat all day.

Re mini goals – I’ve just achieved my first one i.e. lose half a stone. My next goal is to be under 200lbs – so lose another four pounds (that will make me over half way to my third goal of lose a stone! Goal four is to weigh under 14 stone which is only 2 lbs beyond goal three. I have to say, I have a long list of mini goals and I’m encouraging myself to be an achiever…

I think the other thing is to be aware of how we feel, lighter, slimmer, clothes looser and monitor that. After all it’s not weight per se which is the problem, it’s our dimensions.

I take my hat off to you young women. It’s easy for me. No distractions or work deadlines or running after children, cooking healthy family meals and everything. I’ve got a supportive husband and the time to shop and cook with this focus..

In calculating my TDEE, I’ve classed myself as sedentary, but I can walk 3-5 miles daily just walking out of the door, and I’ve got a vibraplate machine in the dining room, which I must get on..

So, we’re all on Fast Day today. Good luck. Talk to you later.

Hi All, I am on my Fast Day too.

I am a male, aged 69 and on week 4. I want to lose 133lbs. Just a smidgen!!!!
    Although called a diet, I am thinking it more of a lifestyle. Well I need to. I tried the Fast Diet last year but made a bit of a mess of it.

I am still deciding about what I can eat on Fast Days. I last ate at 6pm yesterday and I intend to go to 6pm today before I eat a small cal counted meal. Brown Turkey Meat, 100g of Tomato and 100g of raw Mushrooms and a little dressing.

I do find it easier to sleep if I don’t eat anything after 6pm, any night.

This is the first time I have read of folks wanting to lose a decent amount of weight and so I will be following you with interest.

Hi all
    I started on Friday and lost 3lbs by Sunday morning but then ate and drank far too much so am feeling fed up with myself today. I wasn’t planning to have a fast day today but walked the dog first thing and decided to give it a go. Mondays and Thursdays are probably best days for me anyway.
    I have a condition in my skull called Fibrous Dysplasia which means I have a permanent headache which is getting worse as I get older (I am 70). I never know how I’m going to be so I wondered if anyone else changes their fasting days according to how they feel and does this matter.

Morning all

First day and so far so good (a long way to go though!)

I’ve drunk quite a bit of peppermint tea and I’ve been to the gym this morning.
    Now back at home making sure I keep myself busy until the kids come home from school.
    Tramcaur, I too need to think of it as a lifestyle rather then diet, diets DON’T work but this will 🙂
    Joan, I’m a stay at home mum but kids are both in school so I too have the time to look after myself. I think the fact that I am planning on having my one meal at the same time as them may help. As often I’d pick at what I was giving them anyway!
    Teeshabell, two months and a stone, fab plan 🙂

Georgie106, sorry we crossed posts, today is my first day on a fast so I can’t say for sure, the way I read the book though was that it was totally flexible.

Thanks Lizzie. Thought it was but I just wondered if I should be more determined.

Hi everyone, I’m just starting out today, and fasting. My next fast day will be Thursday. I prefer to have my calorie allowance in one go, as an evening meal, it keeps me going during the day. I’ve had black coffee and water so far today. Lunch time at work is the hardest hour, because I see everyone eating! I have just come on here, to keep my mind focused on this 🙂 I know this works, I just have to stick with it and not look at it as a diet. More a lifestyle change, long term.

Good luck 🙂

Hi all! 4 weeks in and I’m plateuing a little, have noticed this since I started my rota of nights so think it’s due to only doing a 24 hour fast instead of the natural 36 ish hours I’d get if I do it on a day shift. I find it much easier to do my fasting days when I’m at work so I don’t get tempted on my days off going out for coffee or lunch with friends. I have started doing more regular exercise too which im hoping will help!! Only managed to lose 4lb so far and want to lose around 35lb altogether… All advice greatly received!

Hello Georgie

Your condition sounds pretty grim. I’m so sorry.

I am going to be changing fast days at the end of February and beginning of March because I will be at events involving eating on those Thursdays. I will do Wednesdays and if it’s particularly bad, then I’ll cut down on the Friday as well. That’s the plan anyway!

Looking back to what you said about Friday, I don’t think you can go too much by day to day fluctuations. I do weigh myself every day and this morning was a wee bit of a disappointment because I was 14st 08lbs and I was 14st 06lbs yesterday morning. But, 14st 08lbs is less than the 14st 11lbs I was last Monday. I’ve managed half a stone over three weeks. I think you’ve just got to put your faith in the programme. Write down and count everything you eat and drink, every day. Another thread I follow is Ginette K’s ten weeks.

And I think mini targets are really important because they give you a sense of achievement. I’ve just achieved my first mini goal – lose half a stone.

Hi. I would love to join you, first fast day today. My plan is to fast on Monday & Thursday. I do not have a lot to lose (5#) but those extra lbs have me up 2 sizes. Am not new to fasting, have done Fast 5 off and on. It works, however, I play golf 3-4X/week, and sometimes feel I need food during game. On days I do not play golf I try to get in 14K steps by using elliptical, treadmill, or long outdoor walk. And many golf days I still go for a short walk.
    Will go all day, may have low sodium chicken broth for lunch. Good luck everybody! We can do this!

Hello Joan
    Thanks very much – I am writing everything down and have also started a tracker. You’re right about having targets and well done achieving your first one. The dog is looking at me hopefully (again!) so we will brave the weather and take exercise. Do you do any of the recommended exercises? I tried to download the app without success.

No exercise for me!
    Well not until I lose my first hundredweight at least. <GGG>.

I have tried other diets before and become fixated by scales, so no weighing myself this time round. I know my starting weight and I get weighed every 6 months at the Diabetic Clinic, so these are the weights I will go by.

As for “targets”, well I have loads of newish clothes in the wardrobe that I would dearly love to wear, but haven’t been able to get into for years.
    Getting them to fit comfortably will be fantastic targets.
    At the moment, the only way I could get into my Kilt, would be to put it on up-side-down!

Seriously though, this eating regime means so much more to me than just losing weight. It is changing my feelings about myself as well as my attitude towards food, portion sizes and taste.

Just returned from walking the dog and found I’d left a glass of water by my laptop when I came to use it. Think I will make sure I always have one handy as it has helped with the automatic need to head for the fridge when I come in the house.
    I’m also not going to weigh myself each day – you’re right about becoming fixated on the scales!
    I’ve got some weights which a rude and critical ex gave me years ago so I might just try doing a few gentle exercises with them. Could get some motivation by imagining him being a target…..

Yes Georgie and how about a Punch Bag as well?
    I have an exercise bike in the garage that I might dig out one of these days, but at the moment all my exercise is split between dog walks and the garden.
    I have spent my Fast Day stringing wires for next year’s Raspberry crop and doing a general tidy up. Fortunately it is sunny up here for a change.

Water wise I bought a crate of 2 litre sparkling water and each day I divide it up into 4 X 500ml bottles that are scattered through the house.

Nice to read the comments on this post. Such a range of ages, it gives me encouragement. Losing weight used to be so easy, now I’m nearing 50, I’m finding it so hard. I really enjoyed reading about the health benefits in the book, it’s just as important to me. I’m lucky to be so healthy although overweight and I want to keep it that way!
    But dammit I will lose this double chin hahaha

I’m lucky that we have our own spring up here in the hills of Northumberland. When we had the water tested it was so pure that they tested it again to make sure.
    Have just realised that writing here has distracted me from thinking about whether I’m hungry or not so thank you everyone.

Hey I started on Friday 🙂

Would love some buddies to offer and get support from! I have about 50lbs to lose and I will have my first fast day tomorrow…I am rather anxious.

I am just wondering how many calories everyone eats on their non-fast days? Ive heard so many variations.

Liza

Hello Tramcaur

I had a look through your posts on other threads and I think we’ve got a lot in common. We’re both Scots although I was living in Lincolnshire between 1977 and 2014. I’m living on the Moray coast now. I want to get the weight off and then be able to maintain it as a way of life.

I want to be able to get up more hills more easily. I want to reduce the pressure on hips and knees. Aside from my list of mini targets I’ve got a list of why I’m doing this and apart from things like, I don’t want to get type 2 diabetes and I want to look OK in lots of clothes I’ve got in the wardrobe, I like the feeling of not being bloated. Also like you, I find it best not to eat too late in the evening, certainly before 7pm.

Today we had a beautiful early morning, then some drizzle and it’s lovely again now, if cold. I managed to hang some washing out when I came in from Bridge.

My drinks are Black Coffee, Tap Water, Fizzy Water, Green Tea. On non fast days I do drink wine, but I count it all.

What has really come home to me this time round is the disaster that is the hidden sugars added in processing. A packet of mini cheddars is 128 calories. An ounce of cheddar cheese is 120 calories. I know which I prefer.

I think I’d find it hard not being able to weigh myself, as you are doing, but it really is about dimensions rather than weight per se.

Hi Liza

On my fast days I try to keep below a quarter of my TDEE. In my case it’s 444 calories. I think you need to have a look on the thread for new folks. I’ll try to find the link.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Do you want to see if that works.

Hi again Georgie

No, I haven’t got round to Fast Exercise yet. I think I need to watch the documentary and read the book before I get into HIT.

I think you’re right about involvement in these threads certainly keeps us busy and engaged!

Hi Joan57, Normally I don’t drink anything other than Pepsi Max (20 cals per litre) but on Fast Days I try to drink the same amount in water.

In 30 minutes I will have fasted for 24 hours and so I will have a “feast” (???) of some turkey and raw veggies. That will leave me enough for a biccy before bed if I feel I need it.

I have a high TDEE, but at the moment I am not sticking rigidly to it.
    I have a Diabetic Check Up in 3 weeks time and so at the moment I am more interested in getting my blood/sugar stabilized so that hopefully they will reduce my medication as it does have undesirable side effects.

Although born in Glasgow and lived and worked for a while in England and then South Africa, I have now lived here on the banks of the River Clyde for the past 40 years. We are a bit “out in the sticks” so shopping, food or otherwise, has to be planned in advance and I am still using up “pre 5:2” foods, but Fast Days are taking care of any of my excesses.

Hey all,

I’ve just had my first food of the day, quite surprised that I managed to get to 5pm but it definitely helped that I’ve been busy.
    I’ve drunk peppermint tea all day (seem to have spent half the day on the loo though!)
    I’ve just had gammon, a boiled egg, sprouts, cauli, broccoli, carrot, 8 cherry tomatoes and a little bit of mashed potato came in at 498 cals on MFP.

Time now to get the kids ready for karate, I’ll stay and watch them and hope that hubby eats whilst I’m out, its all out on the counter ready for him.
    When I get back as soon as hubby reaches for the shortbread biscuit that I know he didn’t finish yesterday then I’ll head up for a bath, then hopefully get through the rest of the night!

Hows your Mondays going?

Hi 1Lizzie
    Congratulations! You are much more organised than I am although I only have a dog and 2 cats to deal with as well as the husband. Luckily he wants to lose weight as well so we are doing our own thing on fast days and also don’t try to co-ordinate which are our individual fast days.
    I have joined a choir and a creative writing group so have done quite a bit of practice singing today so Monday hasn’t been too bad. Am planning Thursday as my next fast day as we have choir practice in the evening.
    Looking forward to having lunch out with my daughter tomorrow. Hope that will mean I don’t overeat like I did on Sunday as (1) I will be paying! and (2)it will be satisfying and set me up for the rest of the day.

Wow! So many posts from so many people! Was lovely to read after coming home from work! I’m a primary school teacher (year 4, 8/9 year olds) and so I don’t check my phone during the day.

It’s about 6pm and I’ve only had water and 2 cups of tea so far. I did an experiment with my class today which involved finding the melting point of chocolate (Cadbury and Milkybar). The smell of the chocolate was excruciating!

But just about to go and start cooking my evening meal so am looking forward to that!

Just got to have dinner and an early night and it’ll have been another successful fast 🙂

How about everyone else?

My meal comprised one ladle of bolognaise sauce which I made myself using lean Scotch mince, onions, garlic, two tins of tomatoes, a tube of purée, lots of basil, mushrooms, olive oil. 100 calories.

3 Lidl equivalents of ryvita, triangle of Lidl equivalent of dairylea spread, a tomato, one oz of cheddar cheese in tiny cubes to last longer, lots of lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, celery and radishes. I am still munching through the peppers and radishes. Total under 400 calories.

Peter had pasta and much more sauce. He’s off to play indoor bowls and I’m going to watch the news.

I should be OK till tomorrow now.

Hi Dragonfly

I’m with you on this, it’s got to be about changing lifestyle. I wish I’d known this stuff about fasting thirty years ago. Anyway, better late than never!

Blimey Teeshabell, that’s good going even though I think Cadbury’s chocolate is pretty horrible now. Too much fat in it. I was a secondary school teacher so I know how lunchtimes can just disappear when you’re on the go non stop. Take care. Hope you have a nice healthy meal.

Yeah if I mark a set of books during lunch then the hour whizzes by! Dinner was delicious! Just settling down with a nice cup of chocolate Canton tea. 0kcal and tastes amazing!

Last year I turned our wreck of a back garden into 4 vegetable raised beds and this year I will be planting 34 different varieties of fruit and veg, so come spring, summer and autumn we should be well supplied with our 5-a-day for Fast Days.

I have just had a 500cal meal and I think that will do me now until brekkie tomorrow.
    Hope everyone else had a good Fast Day.

Well done all, sounds like a good Monday all round.
    I started feeling hungry watching kids at karate but I didn’t take any water with me, so next time… must remember the water!

Hurrah to everyone for a successful Monday! A food day for me today, although I do still count my calories because I am just not sure I trust myself to eat ‘normally’. If I knew how to do that I wouldn’t be in the very overweight position I am in now!

Anyone going for another fast today?

It sounds like everyone is doing an amazing job 🙂 I did my fast day successfully yesterday so feeling rather proud today. Next one is Thursday, and to be honest I’m looking forward to it. I do feel calmer on a fast day.

Have a great day everyone, we can do this!!!

Morning all,

I’m going to fast again on Wed, will stick to plan of one meal also as that seemed to work ok. I went to bed at 9pm though as I was tired and cold but slept well.

I’m not going to calorie count on non fast days as for me it stresses me and I end up eating more for the sake of it. I’m wanting to keep it easy.
    Scales looked good this morning, I weigh every day but take a weekly average so looking forward to working that out on Sunday morning 🙂
    Right better go as I’m off to the gym before meeting a friend for toast & coffee.

Have a good day all.

Had successful Monday. 2 c. Broth at lunch (30 cal). Dinner was small salad & 1 T. Dressing, fish & Veg Bake. The flounder was 90 calories, I could have had 2 but found 1 was enough. Drank almond milk which is only 30 cal.
    Kicker is I so want to weigh tomorrow and may just for encouragement. Honestly feel I may be scared to eat on nonfast days and “undo” the achievement. Going to take awhile to trust the process.
    Loving it, however. Kind of like playing a game.
    Hope you all had a successful start to the week!

Thanks Joan!

But I am wondering about NON-fast days. The lines are very blurry and I cant seem to get a clear ‘you eat this many calories on non-fast days’ I am worried I will be eating too many or too little on my non-fast days!

Hi Liza
    Today, I’m going to eat somewhere between my BMR of 1486 and my TDEE of 1784. I reckon that the lower limit will help me shed a little faster. I’m no expert though!

Thanks Joan! 🙂

I have pretty much the exact same BMR and TDEE as you. I have been eating 1600 daily – about half way between my BMR and TDEE, although I have counted in at 1500 one night.

Thanks for all your help! This is my first fast day so I will see how I get on.

Hi all,
    Interested to read everyone’s comments. I’m fast approaching 40 and have 2 stone to lose which has crept on over the last few years despite going to slimming world for the last 10 years. Have pretty much kept losing and putting back on the same 10 pounds so decided to stop going and try something new. I fasted for the first time yesterday. I split my calories into 2 meals and had porridge at lunchtime and then chicken with asparagus and carrot and red cabbage coleslaw. I was hungry on and off all day but wasn’t as bad as I thought. Expected to be climbing the walls but kept busy, went swimming and it was fine. I’m a bit confused about how best to manage non-fast days. Have been tracking my calories for the last 4 days and aiming for around 1500. Will probably have more like 2000 at weekends and see how that goes. Seems to me it’s all a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. Also trying not to snack in between meals as that’s when I eat most processed rubbish! However have had breakfast today and now starving. More so than yesterday when I was fasting. Don’t want to undo yesterday’s hard work. Good luck everyone. Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on this week.

Hi all, well not sure but I think yesterday may have made a difference to me already, meet up with a friend and I chose the normal hot chocolate, but I struggled to drink it found it far too sweet, just home now and happily enjoying my peppermint tea!

Hi MillieLiza, I think if you read the 5:2 Fast Diet book and then come on here, you will be puzzled by the calorie counting of non fast days as the book is quite specific about not counting calories on these days.

If, like me, you have struggled with calorie counting on other diets, the 5:2 book is a revelation and it promotes a totally new approach to weight loss and it promotes many other advantages.
    Then you come onto this forum and find just another bloomin’ calorie counting experience and here we are, back to square one. So disappointing.

So, for myself, although I have done the TDEE that is on the Mayo Clinic website and I am mindful of what it is telling me, I am not counting calories at the moment and I consider the Fast Days far more important than any calorie counting that has failed me so much in the past.
    That does not mean to say that I may in the future take up counting or even, gawd forbid, exercise, but for now I intend to “Keep it Simple” and do it by the book.

I hope it’s going well Liza. I think it’s finding what works for you. Tonight, I’m having steak and wine to celebrate a good day yesterday!

tramcaur, your reply is exactly how I feel also.
    Joan, Enjoy your celebration!
    RachH, I felt hungrier today after eating too!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply.